Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:33 pm

DALLAS BUYERS CLUB 
Site Admin

Post DALLAS BUYERS CLUB
Click here for the review of Dallas Buyers Club

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: DALLAS BUYERS CLUB
I for one am glad the McConaghey is finally getting the props he deserves as an actor. He's a lot like Ben Affleck in that he's really had to fight hard to live down the lightweight image cultivated during the early stages of his career because of his looks and his initial penchant for going after roles that aren't challenging but come with a nice payday but like Affleck, he's really worked hard to beat the odds (although unlike Affleck, McConaghey didn't have to completely reinvent himself and branch out into directing films). Honestly, after seeing him in Killer Joe, I was pretty much convinced that McConaghey can do anything as long as he puts his mind to it and I look forward to seeing his performance not only in this film but in the upcoming Scorsese one (and the fact that Scorsese would even consider casting him in a movie should be ironclad evidence of how much this man has grown as a performer over the years)! :) :)

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I'm just looking forward to this movie because the trailer makes it look very moving. And McCanaughey, Leto and Garner look like they all give incredible performances.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:44 pm
Gaffer

oafolay wrote:
I for one am glad the McConaghey is finally getting the props he deserves as an actor. He's a lot like Ben Affleck in that he's really had to fight hard to live down the lightweight image cultivated during the early stages of his career because of his looks and his initial penchant for going after roles that aren't challenging but come with a nice payday but like Affleck, he's really worked hard to beat the odds (although unlike Affleck, McConaghey didn't have to completely reinvent himself and branch out into directing films). Honestly, after seeing him in Killer Joe, I was pretty much convinced that McConaghey can do anything as long as he puts his mind to it and I look forward to seeing his performance not only in this film but in the upcoming Scorsese one (and the fact that Scorsese would even consider casting him in a movie should be ironclad evidence of how much this man has grown as a performer over the years)! :) :)

Anxious to see him in the new TV series "True Detective" but tonight it competes with "Downton Abbey" and The Golden Globes and my PVR will only grant access to two out of three. Record two and watch none, or watch one and record one.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:01 pm
Site Admin

Diva4 wrote:
oafolay wrote:

Anxious to see him in the new TV series "True Detective" but tonight it competes with "Downton Abbey" and The Golden Globes and my PVR will only grant access to two out of three. Record two and watch none, or watch one and record one.

Probably too late but...

HBO repeats TRUE DETECTIVE twice tonight so there's ample opportunity to record it post-Prime Time. Or you can do what I'm doing and not bother watching the Golden Globes. I can read about them tomorrow morning...

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Best movie of the year for me so far. Still have to see American Hustle and 12 Years, but this was fantastic.

"Her" a very close second, though it's difficult to compare the two, which is unfortunate, because "Her" will never win the Oscar.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:02 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

The characters played by Jared Leto and Jennifer Gardner are composite characters of people that Ron met. I thought this film deserved to get more of a wider audience.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:07 pm