Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:57 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Paying Full Freight 
Author Message
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Paying Full Freight
With such a geographically diverse forum membership that spans multiple parts of the the US and the world, I was wondering what people are paying to get into the theater these days. My city is dominated by the Marcus chain of cinemas, but we also have an AMC, an IPIC, a couple of Landmark theaters, and then a handful of independent theaters that tend to be drafthouses.

I mostly go the the Marcus chain outlet by me and the cost for a regular movie is $10; I think $13 for 3-D, but I never go to 3-D movies. I also almost never pay $10 to go to the movies. Marcus offers coupon books that bring the cost of showings down to $6.50 (good any night but Saturday and may be suspended for blockbuster releases for the first 2 weeks) or $8 (good anytime, any movie except for Sony/Columbia releases).

In addition, they just made Tuesdays "any movie for $5" (plus surcharge for 3-D if that's your thing) and they throw in a small popcorn to boot. I have been to the movies every Tuesday now since the program started on Oct. 1. ($2.50 soda means movie, popcorn and soda for $7.50. It's like I'm livin' in the 70's again!)

I can't recall the last time I actually paid the full $10 to see a movie. I paid $12 to go see Avatar, but that was on our Museum's IMAX Dome.

How about you? What's the going rate in your area (in US Dollars if international) and do you often pay full freight?


Last edited by Johnny Larue on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:30 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
Thailand has two main chains of theaters: Major Cineplex and SF Cinema. The first is pricier but more omnipresent in most areas, whereas SF's average quality in presentation is a bit better, and much less advertisement.

For non-3D, normal digital stuff, Major's average tends to be around $5 or a bit lower, while SF at $4 or a bit above.

We have only one true, really big Imax-3D theater, in the Major chain, right at the middle of the biggest mall in the city. The price is around $10-12, depending on area of seating. I haven't been to a normal 3D movie for so long, but I imagine the price is around $7-9.

This hasn't taken into account that most people has the respective discount membership cards of each chain. So 90% of the time I pay lower by about $1-2.

We also have something similar to your Tuesday, but on Wednesday instead. Since new movies open in Thailand on Thursday (around Wednesday evening by US time), I imagine this is a strategy to liven up the multiplexes a little bit before new blockbusters/movies come in. With membership cards, movies in normal presentation that day can go down to $2.5 (SF) or $3-4 (Major).

Lastly, from living in USA for a year, I just want to say that I much prefer our system of assigned seats. Saved a lot of trouble (can be paid for even before you leave the house, and especially good for Imax 3D where the place you sit is crucial to how effective it gets).


Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
peng wrote:
Lastly, from living in USA for a year, I just want to say that I much prefer our system of assigned seats. Saved a lot of trouble (can be paid for even before you leave the house, and especially good for Imax 3D where the place you sit is crucial to how effective it gets).


That is a good observation. While many live performances and sports attractions in the US do have assigned tickets, this just seems to fly in the face of the American concept of rugged independence and a "first come, first served" mindset (at least in terms of arriving at the theater for the prescribed showtime). With that said, one of the Marcus outlets in my area DOES have assigned seating you can select in all of its theaters. While this can be great for buying advanced tickets for blockbuster events (no more need to show up 45 minutes in advance to get decent seating), I do see 3 drawbacks to the system right off the bat:
1) If you are seeing an average movie with friends and do not travel together, to sit together would require more coordination and arrival synchronization
2) There's now a higher degree of potential conflict to resolve when somebody arrives at their seats and find them already occupied
3) There is less opportunity for you to shift your position should a pack of talkative teenagers take up position right behind your left ear


Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:54 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
At the theater I go to most, the price of an adult ticket with no discounts or surcharges is $8.50. If one is so inclined, a small popcorn plus small soda (each of which, despite the designation, is larger than any normal human being would rationally want to consume) comes in a $5 combo. I may be misremembering that particular price, but it sounds about right.

So, soup to nuts, one person is paying $13.50 for one movie.

I don't remember the last time I payed that kind of money to see a movie, at least not one that wasn't some kind of special event screening. Gravity was expensive as hell, but it was in 3D in a real IMAX theater. I went to see Man of Steel in X-Treme 3D (sort of a lamer IMAX that at least has the courtesy not to pass itself off as real IMAX) because it was the first screening and really, like I was going to wait for that shit.

Flash fact: when I went to see Gravity, the seating was assigned. The only other time I've encountered designated seating at the movies was at a specialty theater that had certain assigned sections for food and drink services during the movie.

I had a vodka martini. Guess what they called it on the menu. Actually, don't, because y'all are smartasses.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:48 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 630
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
Memphis (TN) area is dominated by the Malco chain. Standard evening charge is $10 + $3 for 3-D if desired. Most 3-D, but not all, are also offered in 2-D version here.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
Marcus does err more on the expensive side(though afternoon showings are reasonably priced, and I have a Magical Movie Rewards card, so that helps) and more often then not I prefer to go to my local Cinemark theatre which is both cheaper and slightly closer to wher I live, though Marcus has more screens and more showtimes for certain films, so I choose whichever theater has the most convenient showing. I never buy anything at the concession stand though, not really worth the price.

I've never been to an IMAX theater and probably never will since the format does not look appealing to me and because the closest one it at least 20 miles away.

My local Marcus is getting a new Ultrascreen this month for some showings, anyone tried one of those out yet?


Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
Vexer wrote:
My local Marcus is getting a new Ultrascreen this month for some showings, anyone tried one of those out yet?


I've been to our Ultrascreen a few times. It's OK....it's just really, really big. Because of the size, sometimes I have felt that the screen was a bit underlit for some movies I've seen there. Are you near the Addison theater? I see that Marcus has put in the new "Dreamlounger" reclining seats in some of those auditoriums. Have no idea what THAT is about. I don't need any inducements to take a nap during a movie.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:52 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
Johnny Larue wrote:
Vexer wrote:
My local Marcus is getting a new Ultrascreen this month for some showings, anyone tried one of those out yet?


I've been to our Ultrascreen a few times. It's OK....it's just really, really big. Because of the size, sometimes I have felt that the screen was a bit underlit for some movies I've seen there. Are you near the Addison theater? I see that Marcus has put in the new "Dreamlounger" reclining seats in some of those auditoriums. Have no idea what THAT is about. I don't need any inducements to take a nap during a movie.

I'm nowhere near Addison(The Marcus closest to me is the one at Gurnee Mills mall), but that does sound interesting.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:04 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
Vexer wrote:
Marcus does err more on the expensive side(though afternoon showings are reasonably priced, and I have a Magical Movie Rewards card, so that helps) and more often then not I prefer to go to my local Cinemark theatre which is both cheaper and slightly closer to wher I live, though Marcus has more screens and more showtimes for certain films, so I choose whichever theater has the most convenient showing. I never buy anything at the concession stand though, not really worth the price.

I've never been to an IMAX theater and probably never will since the format does not look appealing to me and because the closest one it at least 20 miles away.

My local Marcus is getting a new Ultrascreen this month for some showings, anyone tried one of those out yet?


Another troll statement by Vex that makes absolutely no damn sense. The format of IMAX doesn't appeal to you? Seeing a movie larger and clearer than any other theaters in the country doesn't appeal to you? And who cares about driving 20 miles to see a movie? What is that 15-30 min depending on traffic...I've had trips to the toilet that take longer.

I had to drive 2.5 hours to a real IMAX to see TDK and TDKR. You should be so lucky.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:15 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
Johnny Larue wrote:
1) If you are seeing an average movie with friends and do not travel together, to sit together would require more coordination and arrival synchronization
2) There's now a higher degree of potential conflict to resolve when somebody arrives at their seats and find them already occupied
3) There is less opportunity for you to shift your position should a pack of talkative teenagers take up position right behind your left ear


Those come up time to time, and..

1) We usuall just buy the tickets for those who still haven't come yet and wait for them in front of theater together.

2) Actually this lessen the confrontation, imo, because to get in the theater you must have tickets with assigned seats, so often it's a case of mistaken seats (because it's dark). We just compare our tickets, realize the mistake, and then move on.

3) This is a universal problem, it seems, but rarely have I encountered that (except a few times a kid sat behind me), so it isn't a issue for me (we got the playing phone during the movie problem, but normally teenagers here don' talk loud enough to be a distraction).


Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:23 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Marcus does err more on the expensive side(though afternoon showings are reasonably priced, and I have a Magical Movie Rewards card, so that helps) and more often then not I prefer to go to my local Cinemark theatre which is both cheaper and slightly closer to wher I live, though Marcus has more screens and more showtimes for certain films, so I choose whichever theater has the most convenient showing. I never buy anything at the concession stand though, not really worth the price.

I've never been to an IMAX theater and probably never will since the format does not look appealing to me and because the closest one it at least 20 miles away.

My local Marcus is getting a new Ultrascreen this month for some showings, anyone tried one of those out yet?


Another troll statement by Vex that makes absolutely no damn sense. The format of IMAX doesn't appeal to you? Seeing a movie larger and clearer than any other theaters in the country doesn't appeal to you? And who cares about driving 20 miles to see a movie? What is that 15-30 min depending on traffic...I've had trips to the toilet that take longer.

I had to drive 2.5 hours to a real IMAX to see TDK and TDKR. You should be so lucky.

Wow, so i'm a troll because the idea of IMAX dosen't appeal to me? And you're telling my my post is that one makes no sense? :lol: :roll: :evil: :? That's the most confounding and nonsensical logic i've heard from you yet.

Anyways it dosen't matter whether the format appeals to me or not, I couldn't go to see a movie in IMAX even if I wanted as the nearest one is many many miles away, so it's just not feasible for me. I care about driving 20 miles to see a movie because the place where I live has some of the highest gas prices in the U.S., so you'll forgive me if not enthused at the idea of wasting gas just to go see a movie in a "bigger" format. For me bigger does not automatically mean better, i'd rather not get a headache trying to look at a massive screen thank you very much.

You act like anyone who disagrees with you on IMAX is crazy, it's just my opinion, so chill out. You want to drive several hours just to see a movie? Good for you, but not everyone has that kind of time or gas money to make that kind of trip, no matter how good a movie looks to me, it's just not worth spending that much tiem or money on. If you can't comprehend that, I don't know what to tell you.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:27 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1097
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Another troll statement by Vex that makes absolutely no damn sense. The format of IMAX doesn't appeal to you? Seeing a movie larger and clearer than any other theaters in the country doesn't appeal to you? And who cares about driving 20 miles to see a movie? What is that 15-30 min depending on traffic...I've had trips to the toilet that take longer.


TMI, bro.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
KWRoss wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Another troll statement by Vex that makes absolutely no damn sense. The format of IMAX doesn't appeal to you? Seeing a movie larger and clearer than any other theaters in the country doesn't appeal to you? And who cares about driving 20 miles to see a movie? What is that 15-30 min depending on traffic...I've had trips to the toilet that take longer.


TMI, bro.

Yeah, plus where I live it takes a lot longer then that to go 20 miles.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:06 pm
Profile
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7478
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
I don't think anyone needs to call Vexer a "troll" for saying he doesn't like IMAX. I think such a statement not only serves no purpose, but shows a marked lack of understanding for what trolling is.

Keep ad hominem insults off the boards please, gentlemen.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
How would he know if he likes it or not if he's never been in one? If Nolan or Brad Bird or anybody else actually uses IMAX cameras, I don't get why someone doesn't want to see the vision they intended. But to each his own.


Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1800
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
Quote:
If Nolan or Brad Bird or anybody else actually uses IMAX cameras, I don't get why someone doesn't want to see the vision they intended.


Well I don't know about Vexer, but for me it's because I'm not Nolan's bitch, or Brad Bird's or Alfonso Cuaron's, or James Camerons. They can shove their visions up somewhere. So can Paul Anderson and Spielberg for that matter if they think their "vision" is worth more money. I paid for 2D tickets of Tintin and Resident Evil, I leave 3D to the kiddies.


Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:16 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1097
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
If Nolan or Brad Bird or anybody else actually uses IMAX cameras, I don't get why someone doesn't want to see the vision they intended.


Well I don't know about Vexer, but for me it's because I'm not Nolan's bitch, or Brad Bird's or Alfonso Cuaron's, or James Camerons. They can shove their visions up somewhere. So can Paul Anderson and Spielberg for that matter if they think their "vision" is worth more money. I paid for 2D tickets of Tintin and Resident Evil, I leave 3D to the kiddies.


I'm all for the extra bells and whistles (IMAX and 3D) if used properly and to its full potential. Don't necessarily need it for every movie, but I enjoy it.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:27 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1800
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
I would be except there's one bell/whistle I'm never really down for: $5 extra.


Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:34 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
If Nolan or Brad Bird or anybody else actually uses IMAX cameras, I don't get why someone doesn't want to see the vision they intended.


Well I don't know about Vexer, but for me it's because I'm not Nolan's bitch, or Brad Bird's or Alfonso Cuaron's, or James Camerons. They can shove their visions up somewhere. So can Paul Anderson and Spielberg for that matter if they think their "vision" is worth more money. I paid for 2D tickets of Tintin and Resident Evil, I leave 3D to the kiddies.


Did I say anything about 3D? No, I was talking about legitimate IMAX. Words can't describe how gorgeous 70mm film is when displayed on an IMAX screen with real 70mm projectors. It's breathtaking. I don't care how good you think the movie is, but when somebody goes through the trouble to shoot 50 minutes using one of the worlds largest and most expensive film cameras, I'm going to see what that looks like.


Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:57 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 231
Post Re: Paying Full Freight
Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Marcus does err more on the expensive side(though afternoon showings are reasonably priced, and I have a Magical Movie Rewards card, so that helps) and more often then not I prefer to go to my local Cinemark theatre which is both cheaper and slightly closer to wher I live, though Marcus has more screens and more showtimes for certain films, so I choose whichever theater has the most convenient showing. I never buy anything at the concession stand though, not really worth the price.

I've never been to an IMAX theater and probably never will since the format does not look appealing to me and because the closest one it at least 20 miles away.

My local Marcus is getting a new Ultrascreen this month for some showings, anyone tried one of those out yet?


Another troll statement by Vex that makes absolutely no damn sense. The format of IMAX doesn't appeal to you? Seeing a movie larger and clearer than any other theaters in the country doesn't appeal to you? And who cares about driving 20 miles to see a movie? What is that 15-30 min depending on traffic...I've had trips to the toilet that take longer.

I had to drive 2.5 hours to a real IMAX to see TDK and TDKR. You should be so lucky.

Wow, so i'm a troll because the idea of IMAX dosen't appeal to me? And you're telling my my post is that one makes no sense? :lol: :roll: :evil: :? That's the most confounding and nonsensical logic i've heard from you yet.

Anyways it dosen't matter whether the format appeals to me or not, I couldn't go to see a movie in IMAX even if I wanted as the nearest one is many many miles away, so it's just not feasible for me. I care about driving 20 miles to see a movie because the place where I live has some of the highest gas prices in the U.S., so you'll forgive me if not enthused at the idea of wasting gas just to go see a movie in a "bigger" format. For me bigger does not automatically mean better, i'd rather not get a headache trying to look at a massive screen thank you very much.

You act like anyone who disagrees with you on IMAX is crazy, it's just my opinion, so chill out. You want to drive several hours just to see a movie? Good for you, but not everyone has that kind of time or gas money to make that kind of trip, no matter how good a movie looks to me, it's just not worth spending that much tiem or money on. If you can't comprehend that, I don't know what to tell you.


I can agree with your point about bigger not being better.
Smaller can be a more intimate experience , perfect for a standard non special effects movie.
I have never been to IMAX either. I am sure that there is one in Dublin, but I am not bothered about it. How and ever, if it is similar to 3D then I am not all that bother about it.
3d movies do really nothing for me. When I watch a 3D movie all I ever see are flat people slightly in front of the back ground. The best way to describe it would be as if the screen has several layers of cleen film which are slightly apart and each charactor is on one of them. But the actual charactor has no depth at all.


Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:15 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JamesKunz and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr