Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:49 am

Going to the cinema on your own. 
Second Unit Director

Post Going to the cinema on your own.
How do you feel about going to the cinema on your own.
I've had discussions with people work about going to the cinema and a lot of them feel that they couldn't be seen going to into a theater on their own out of embarrassment.
I often ask why this is?
Especially when you consider that going to the cinema is a very solitary pastime. You basically do it on your own.
So I ask all of you in the reelviews universe, do you go to the cinema on your own?

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:07 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Going to the cinema on your own.
I believe we've had a thread on this beofre, but I'm too lazy to go look for it.

I just went to see "Prisoners" on my own last week. My preference is to go with family or friends, but if schedule or interests don't coincide, I don't mind going on my own. I'd say, though, out of 20 movies seen in the theater, maybe 19 will be with people and 1 will be solo.

As for "feeling weird", when I meet people at the multiplex I normally buy a ticket for one on my own (and meet them inside) and get my concessions alone....the only "weird part" is walking into the theater alone and sitting down alone....but I often do that when I'm the first one to the multiplex and waiting for others anyway.

So sure...it feels a little weird when the lights go down, but I get over it quickly.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:31 pm
Producer

The weird part is down to the fact that you're socially expected to go to movies with other people--whether you walk in with someone else or are joined soon by someone else. Going alone isn't an inherently awkward thing to do, but you can feel awkward anyway because you're figuring (probably rightly) that other people around you assume you should feel awkward. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But yeah, once the movie's actually running, it doesn't matter anymore. The people who should feel weird are the ones who persist in acting like a movie is a social experience during the time that it's anything but.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:38 pm
Second Unit Director

James addressed this issue in a ReelThoughts last summer.
http://www.reelviews.net/reelthoughts.p ... tifier=694

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I actually prefer to watch a movie on my own. My emotional reaction to a film is suppressed when I'm watching it with other people.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Here's that other thread on the same topic:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=416

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:06 pm
Director

I go on my own at least 90% of the time. Used to go a lot with friends when I was in high school, but now it seems everyone would rather hang out in bars. So I usually go alone to almost everything and feel no awkwardness whatsoever.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:01 pm
Auteur

90% of the time I generally go on my own due to not really having any friends that live close by, sometimes i'll go with my mom to see a film if it's something that interests both of us, so far i've seen Men In Black III, Man Of Steel, Into Darkness, After Earth and Ender's Game with her.

Also I used to see movies with one of my female friends before she moved upstate, with her I saw Transporter 3, Fast And Furious, Crank 2, Book Of Eli and Kick Ass.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:33 pm
Producer

About 50% of all trips to the cinema have been on my own.

I like it!

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:00 pm
Assistant Director

I pretty much always go on my own for the last decade or so, because the sorts of things I want to see generally have no interest to anyone in my circle. The few times I have gone with someone else, just basically pissed them off: "that movie was terrible, why the hell you take me to see that shit". Doesn't worry me in the slightest, and you don't get the distraction of being nudged and asked to explain things during the film, or told that it's boring etc.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:01 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
I pretty much always go on my own for the last decade or so, because the sorts of things I want to see generally have no interest to anyone in my circle. The few times I have gone with someone else, just basically pissed them off: "that movie was terrible, why the hell you take me to see that shit". Doesn't worry me in the slightest, and you don't get the distraction of being nudged and asked to explain things during the film, or told that it's boring etc.

Right on. Something like Blue is the Warmest Color is one of those cases where I knew from the beginning I'd be going solo.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:08 pm
Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:

I have the fantastic advantage of having a very close friend with impeccable taste in cinema. I very much enjoy going to the movies with him.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I used to go on my own 90% of the time. But I don't go to the theater as much anymore and when I do it's usually with family or friends. I saw Prisoners on my own, then a second time with friends. And I saw Pawn Shop and Bullet to the Head on my own. Everything else this year I saw with family/friends.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:27 pm
Director

Hmm depend. If I go with friends they have a habit of not saving time for trip to theater, so if it's a showtime right after class I'd go alone. If I know it's a relatively un-hyped good film that they would enjoy, I'd champion them to go to watch it together, like The King's Speech, Warrior, and The Raid (you may laugh at how I said the first two are "un-hyped", but when they were in Thailand they only played in one theater).

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:23 pm
Assistant Director

KWRoss wrote:
Right on. Something like Blue is the Warmest Color is one of those cases where I knew from the beginning I'd be going solo.

Thinking about this some more, the thing is I go to the movies to see THE MOVIE, not for social time (which movies are technically actually hopeless for anyway, given you can't discuss it or anything else during screening). You really don't need anyone holding your hand to see a fucking movie. Although I more often than not get asked at the counter "Did you say ONE ticket?", like they don't get that very often or I'm some sort of freak.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:51 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Thinking about this some more, the thing is I go to the movies to see THE MOVIE, not for social time (which movies are technically actually hopeless for anyway, given you can't discuss it or anything else during screening). You really don't need anyone holding your hand to see a fucking movie. Although I more often than not get asked at the counter "Did you say ONE ticket?", like they don't get that very often or I'm some sort of freak.

Interesting, i've never once been asked that for all the times i've gone to the movies.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 am
Producer

My favourite habit is to go unshaven, unshowered, and wearing blood (actually paint) covered clothes and sunglasses - find a young and attractive couple, and sit next to them, laughing, shouting and hurling abuse throughout.

I tell you, the looks I get!

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:23 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Interesting, i've never once been asked that for all the times i've gone to the movies.

Neither have I and I go to the movies by myself almost every week. Last time I went to the movies with others was when I was in Austin last year visiting friends and we all saw Poltergeist.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:17 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
My favourite habit is to go unshaven, unshowered, and wearing blood (actually paint) covered clothes and sunglasses - find a young and attractive couple, and sit next to them, laughing, shouting and hurling abuse throughout.

I tell you, the looks I get!

I'm surprised you've never been thrown out for acting like that.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:29 pm
Producer

99.9999% of the time, I go by myself. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:44 am