Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion 
Director

Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
A movie should have conviction about what it is to a far enough extent that there shouldn't be any pointless sequences like that car chase. That alone makes it a bad movie, let alone the generic premise. We're talking about a sequence that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot. Nothing to do with Ed Harris, nothing really to do with any characters in terms of actually developing them. And pouring all that effort into it makes it clear to me that Bay simply didn't have enough confidence in the rest of the movie.

Imagine for a moment, if at the end of Pain and Gain, the runway chase from Fast 6 is the climax. All 15 minutes of it. Then imagine that the Sun Gym gang has nothing to do with this sequence, and that it's just Tony Schalub or Ed Harris chasing some random schmoe because, well, it's an action movie and it's BADASS! If that were the case, I would've given Pain and Gain about a 2/10. But with his latest film, Michael Bay found a story which held his interest for 2 hours without juvenile distractions.

The reason I like Transformers more than The Rock is because, tangential and schizophrenic as that trilogy sometimes is, it never loses its focus on the robots. Every scene is about the robots to one extent or another, which if not a thematic focus or anything, at least provides those movies with a consistent motif. In The Rock, there's a long period of time when Ed Harris is MIA. At one point, I almost forgot he was even in the movie. That's the textbook definition of poor filmmaking.

What's the point of rescuing some hostages on Alcatraz if they're just gonna destroy San Francisco anyway?

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:15 am
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
A movie should have conviction about what it is to a far enough extent that there shouldn't be any pointless sequences like that car chase. That alone makes it a bad movie, let alone the generic premise. We're talking about a sequence that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot. Nothing to do with Ed Harris, nothing really to do with any characters in terms of actually developing them. And pouring all that effort into it makes it clear to me that Bay simply didn't have enough confidence in the rest of the movie.

Imagine for a moment, if at the end of Pain and Gain, the runway chase from Fast 6 is the climax. All 15 minutes of it. Then imagine that the Sun Gym gang has nothing to do with this sequence, and that it's just Tony Schalub or Ed Harris chasing some random schmoe because, well, it's an action movie and it's BADASS! If that were the case, I would've given Pain and Gain about a 2/10. But with his latest film, Michael Bay found a story which held his interest for 2 hours without juvenile distractions.

The reason I like Transformers more than The Rock is because, tangential and schizophrenic as that trilogy sometimes is, it never loses its focus on the robots. Every scene is about the robots to one extent or another, which if not a thematic focus or anything, at least provides those movies with a consistent motif. In The Rock, there's a long period of time when Ed Harris is MIA. At one point, I almost forgot he was even in the movie. That's the textbook definition of poor filmmaking.

What's the point of rescuing some hostages on Alcatraz if they're just gonna destroy San Francisco anyway?

The goal was to disarm the rockets AND rescue the hostages. What, you think that they would neglect the more immediate threat in favor of a PR coup?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
StatGuy2000 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
LOTR series, Titanic, West Side Story, Sound Of Music.

You HATE the LOTR series!!!???? :shock:

In my eyes, that's practically blasphemy!! LOTR is on my select list of all time favourite films!!

Vexer is our forum's iconoclast. But we love him despite it

How is it that Vexer is the forums pet for having opposing views to everyone and I got railroaded for hating Wes Anderson's shite? Just saying...

Also Paranoid Park. Has elements of greatness, but ruined by Gus van sant's need to be indie.

Killer Elite was just a nonsensical boring mess.

Judy Moody and the Not So Bummer Summer. God, this movie will want to make you get castrated to never have to suffer from having kids this annoying.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:14 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

I'm not the biggest Anderson fan myself, for me his movies range from forgettable to just plain mediocre.

Killer Elite wasn't one of Statham's better films, but it still had it's moments(The Statham/Owen fight being the highlight)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:58 am
Director

I wish Wes Anderson would do another film like Darjeeling Limited. His most realistic film is also his best. Moonrise was good, but almost too quirky at times.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:19 am
Producer

His best is Fantastic Mr Fox.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:19 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:

If so, he's a terrible filmmaker. I'll take Moonrise Kingdom

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:29 am
Director

Paranoid Park.. yeah. Either I didn't get it, or I had just watched a kinda compelling story filled with good performances, but told in a very slow-motion.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:47 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

If so, he's a terrible filmmaker. I'll take Moonrise Kingdom

There's nothing terrible, or even average about FMF, Kunzo!

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:10 am
Director

Wes's new movie features all three aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, and 2.35 all rolled into one. Sounds to me like a bit much, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:15 am
Director

I've only watched his latest two (Wes Anderson), but his style elevated Fantastic Mr. Fox a lot, imo. Moonrise Kingdom is very good too, but I didn't like it as much as I love FMF.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:52 am
Director

I honestly feel Wes has continually topped himself with each new film he's put out (well, "Aquatic" and "Darjeeling" are about a tie with each other), and am really looking forward to 'The Grand Budapest Hotel" in March. 8-) Yes, his simultaneously dry/deadpan/ironic/whimsical humor isn't for everyone, but most auteurs have elements about their work that some just naturally won't like.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:15 am
Cinematographer

Speaking of Wes, anybody catch the Wes Anderson spoof trailer on SNL (with Edward Norton) a few weeks back? Funny stuff:
http://entertainment.time.com/2013/10/2 ... ast-night/

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:04 pm
Assistant Director

No, but I saw conan's version of Wes Anderson's audition for directing Star Wars episode 7. It was the funniest thing either of them have been associated with (although I don't like either of them)

Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:24 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19