Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:27 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
General Movie News 
Director

Post Re: General Movie News
Well, I seemed to be alone in my surprise at the trailer. I had the same reactions as you guys when they announced the project. But the first trailer coupled with this actually surprised me nicely with how well they seem to put some thought into it. Its spirit feels in synch with what the guys behind it did previously with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (although I'm not a big fan of that one).

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:58 am
Director

I'm with you Peng. When I first heard about the movie, I thought it would be terrible. But the trailer was shockingly funny and good. And while I wasn't a huge fan of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, I did love 21 Jump Street.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:58 am
Producer

Enjoyed 21 Jump Street and thought Meatballs was OK, but I just did not laugh once at the trailer, I had rock bottom expectations to begin with, and the trailer somehow managed to make the film look even worse then I could've possibly imagined.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:19 am
Producer

So Amazing Spider-Man 2 is ditching James "everything I do sounds the same" Horner and going with Hans "everything sounds the same, except when it doesn't" Zimmer. And Zimmer is bringing Pharrell, Johnny Marr, Incubus guitarist Michael Einziger, and Eurythmics’ Dave Stewart onboard with him.

That's pretty interesting.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:12 pm
Director

James Horner is probably my favorite movie music composer, but Hans Zimmer is up there too. So at least they replaced him with somebody who is nearly as great.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:08 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I just saw the trailer for 47 Ronin and I have to admit I'm intrigued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cKdDkkIYY

I'm not normally a fan of Keanu Reeves, but he's generally quite competent in action roles (e.g the first Matrix film), so this is something I'll be keeping an eye on. I'm not sure when the release date is though.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:54 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I have also seen the new trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past, which will again be directed by Bryan Singer. Also looks intriguing -- this will be the film that will link X-Men: First Class with the previous X-Men films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

What do you guys think?

Last edited by StatGuy2000 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:56 pm
Assistant Director

StatGuy2000 wrote:
I have also been the new trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past, which will again be directed by Bryan Singer. Also looks intriguing -- this will be the film that will link X-Men: First Class with the previous X-Men films.

What do you guys think?

It looks pretty awesome. The ultimate ensemble. Like many, X3 left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm glad to see Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen have a better opportunity to give these characters a proper send-off.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:51 pm
Producer

KWRoss wrote:
StatGuy2000 wrote:
I have also been the new trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past, which will again be directed by Bryan Singer. Also looks intriguing -- this will be the film that will link X-Men: First Class with the previous X-Men films.

What do you guys think?

It looks pretty awesome. The ultimate ensemble. Like many, X3 left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm glad to see Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen have a better opportunity to give these characters a proper send-off.

I actually liked X3, but I was rather dissapointed with "First Class", thankfully this looks to be a significant improvement over that film.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:57 pm
Second Unit Director

So somebody posted this blog on Facebook about the hidden symbolism of Christopher's Nolan's artistic sensibilities and personal life in The Dark Knight Rises.

Does this guy have a point or is it yet another elitist scum grasping at straws?

http://rlshaffer.com/2013/10/30/the-dark-knight-rises-a-deeply-personal-film-christopher-nolan-didnt-want-to-make/

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:28 pm
Director

patrick wrote:
So somebody posted this blog on Facebook about the hidden symbolism of Christopher's Nolan's artistic sensibilities and personal life in The Dark Knight Rises.

Does this guy have a point or is it yet another elitist scum grasping at straws?

http://rlshaffer.com/2013/10/30/the-dark-knight-rises-a-deeply-personal-film-christopher-nolan-didnt-want-to-make/

Anyone who's gonna take the time to obsess over his movies that much can grasp at all the straws they want because the people who will read every word intensively are people who will agree anyway. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how deep any individual movie is unless you can connect its methodology to other movies throughout history. That connection I think is what truly matters.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:26 pm
Assistant Director

peng wrote:
SNL's parody trailer for a Wes Anderson film, The Midnight Coterie Of Sinister Intruders, is pretty great, except now I want to see Anderson makes that for real (for anyone outsides USA, click here).

Hunger Games: Catching Fire's final trailer is out. I'm alternating between thinking it might reveal too much and wondering if they will leave some stuff out.

I also really enjoy Ohio State University Marching Band's Hollywood Blockbuster show, especially that T-rex. I still think their best long-form show is still the video game one (their best short-form (song) is the energetic Party Rock Anthem one).

Very funny parody because it's so dead on. But I'd love to see one that really goes for the jugular. God knows Anderson's ego could use a bit of downsizing.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:47 am
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
Very funny parody because it's so dead on. But I'd love to see one that really goes for the jugular. God knows Anderson's ego could use a bit of downsizing.

This and DJesus Uncrossed are both great.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:22 am
Director

James Mangold seems to return for the next Wolverine sequel. I'm not overly impressed with his first one, but he is a good director so I hope it turns out better.

The 28 Weeks Later director will helm Pet Sematary remake. Might work out. The original traumatized me a bit as a kid ;) .

And the news of the week for me is the red-band teaser for the second film of the planned Raid trilogy, The Raid 2: Berandal.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:05 am
Producer

Someday, somebody will figure out how to translate King's horror stories to the screen successfully.

Without completely dismantling them and building them back up from just a few of their general ideas, that is.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:14 am
Director

I thought The Mist and Misery did that (although it could be argue if Misery is horror. Personally I'm freaking scared by Annie so much in the second half though).

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:26 am
Producer

I think Misery typically gets classed as horror, but it scanned for me as more of a black comedy. There's a bit of over-the-top parody involved in the portrayal of a famous writer dealing with an insistent fan.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:36 am
Director

Second RoboCop trailer.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:43 pm
Second Unit Director

Once again we get a useless action packed remake, upon which the original point of the movie escapes everyone involved.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:56 pm
Producer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Once again we get a useless action packed remake, upon which the original point of the movie escapes everyone involved.

Well I think it looks pretty damn awesome, I say the more action-pakced the better!

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:02 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next