Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:12 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next
General Movie News 
Director

Post General Movie News
Because sometimes there're bits and pieces of news interesting enough to talk about, but not worth starting a thread over.

As for the news that prompt this thread, I just read that Tom Hardy has been cast as Elton John. God, my mental image of this is pretty amazing.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:24 pm
Director

Post Re: General Movie News
Captain America: The Winter Soldier trailer is out.

For me the first one has the chance to be top-tier Marvel, but the generic direction never gel the promising aspects together. In this case I'm glad they change the director.

The trailer sounds generic (but it's still trailer after all), but the look of the film for me has already improved.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:44 pm
Auteur

Indeed, the first film did nothing for me, the action was bland, the story was uninteresting and it was poorly directed overall, the sequel already looks like a considerably improvement.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:57 pm
Director

Just watched it. Looks promising. There at least appears to be a story-driven reason (as opposed to just financial) as to why we're getting a second round of solo adventures before the next Avengers. I'm glad Frank Grillo is involved too. He was excellent in WARRIOR, THE GREY, and DISCONNECT, among others.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:54 pm
Producer

KWRoss wrote:
Just watched it. Looks promising. There at least appears to be a story-driven reason (as opposed to just financial) as to why we're getting a second round of solo adventures before the next Avengers. I'm glad Frank Grillo is involved too. He was excellent in WARRIOR, THE GREY, and DISCONNECT, among others.

I thought he deserved an Oscar nomination for The Grey. He was also awesome in the first season of Prison Break.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:00 am
Director

SNL's parody trailer for a Wes Anderson film, The Midnight Coterie Of Sinister Intruders, is pretty great, except now I want to see Anderson makes that for real (for anyone outsides USA, click here).

Hunger Games: Catching Fire's final trailer is out. I'm alternating between thinking it might reveal too much and wondering if they will leave some stuff out.

I also really enjoy Ohio State University Marching Band's Hollywood Blockbuster show, especially that T-rex. I still think their best long-form show is still the video game one (their best short-form (song) is the energetic Party Rock Anthem one).

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:06 am
Director

X-Men: Days of Future Past trailer.

Very intriguing trailer, despite how hurriedly put together it feels (the continuous soundtrack of Sunshine then The Thin Red Line that was just used recently and very memorably in the MoS trailer?). Glad to see Bryan Singer returns to the genre again.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 am
Auteur

peng wrote:
X-Men: Days of Future Past trailer.

Very intriguing trailer, despite how hurriedly put together it feels (the continuous soundtrack of Sunshine then The Thin Red Line that was just used recently and very memorably in the MoS trailer?). Glad to see Bryan Singer returns to the genre again.

Looks pretty cool, I found "First Class" to be a letdown, but Future Past appears to be a considerable improvement.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm
Second Unit Director

A sequel to Olympus Has Fallen, titled London Has Fallen, has been announced. I was definitely a fan of Olympus, but is a sequel really necessary?

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

EDIT: Missed the thread started on the Star Wars Episode VII script rewrite. However, I'll stick with my current sentiment that I'm feeling more confident that the upcoming film isn't going to be a complete piece of shit.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:55 pm
Auteur

Steven wrote:
A sequel to Olympus Has Fallen, titled London Has Fallen, has been announced. I was definitely a fan of Olympus, but is a sequel really necessary?

London Has Fallen eh? That could be interesting, I don't know if a sequel is necessary either, but i'll still definitely be seeing it.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:17 pm
Producer

It's funny that it's called London Has Fallen and is obviously set there because Olympus Has Fallen had a 24 feel to it (besides being an obvious Die Hard ripoff) and when 24 returns next May, it'll take place in London.

Looking forward to both of them.

And X-Men: Days of Future Past looks INCREDIBLE!

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:35 am
Director

London Has Fallen... so is it gonna be all over the city or restricted to one single place?

And OK, I love, love Pixar (their worst effort, Cars 2, is still mildly enjoyable on a brainless level), but this is the least confidence-inspiring poster of theirs ever:

Not to mention the delay and the people-switching behind the scene. Of course it's way too early to tell and can turn out well (TS3 and MU don't sound good when announced, but both turned out to be ones of my favorites from theirs), so fingers crossed.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 am
Director

New Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street trailer. Looks really good, although I'm still puzzled what might get this movie to NC-17. Also, the theatrical cut is clocking at 2.45 minutes.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 am
Auteur

peng wrote:
New Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street trailer. Looks really good, although I'm still puzzled what might get this movie to NC-17. Also, the theatrical cut is clocking at 2.45 minutes.

I'm guessing there's some extremely gratituous sex scene ala Killer Joe.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:59 pm
Director

So apparently Aaron Taylor-Johnson (aka Kick-Ass) will play Quicksilver in The Avengers 2.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:18 pm
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
And OK, I love, love Pixar (their worst effort, Cars 2, is still mildly enjoyable on a brainless level), but this is the least confidence-inspiring poster of theirs ever:

Ugh, agreed. The last few years for Pixar have been a little troubling, and I do have to wonder if that has something to do with Disney's increased involvement. From most accounts, Brave started out as a much more ambitious project than what eventually ended up onscreen, and I'm worried a similar result is coming here.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Director

New Lego Movie Trailer.

Best product placement film ever? Looks really charming. It won me over already by the time the Chris Patt lego does jumping jacks.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:59 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
New Lego Movie Trailer.

Best product placement film ever? Looks really charming. It won me over already by the time the Chris Patt lego does jumping jacks.

I thought I was being Punk'd when I heard about the Lego movie, I think it looks incredibly lousy and for me is a prime example of Hollywood being lazy.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:23 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
peng wrote:
New Lego Movie Trailer.

I thought I was being Punk'd when I heard about the Lego movie, I think it looks incredibly lousy and for me is a prime example of Hollywood being lazy.

Agreed. There's three minutes of my life I'll never get back. Honestly, I've never understood the fascination with LEGO-izing everything. Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones video games, and now this?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:51 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next