Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The Walking Dead 
Director

Post Re: The Walking Dead
mid season finale airs tonight

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:52 pm
Assistant Director

Pretty solid finale for a solid third season.

I wrote a blog entry about the season so far. Here it is.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

It's back and the past episodes (309-310) have been honestly hit or miss. The storyline with Rick slowly losing grip on reality is the most intriguing part of this part of the season. The Glenn and Maggie interaction in episode 10 was frustrating given the show's past of maddening character interactions. I think the Governor will stick around through at least the first half of Season 4. But I do wonder if they will create new villains until they get to the "Something to Fear" storyline or just make it about the survivors' quest up the east coast.

Also I wonder what James thinks of the show, if he even watches it.

Also a small slightly dismal piece of news, TWD has lost another showrunner...

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:48 pm
Producer

One of my favorite shows. Up there with other favorite shows of mine such as Homeland, Justified, Revenge, Person of Interest, Arrow, Breaking Bad, Supernatural and the recently departed Fringe.

This week's past episode was good with a great ending. I was seriously on the edge of my seat for those last 5 minutes! I also give credit to the writers for actually making somewhat sympathetic towards Merle for the very first time. Never thought that could happen. And god, I HATE the Governor! Can't wait for him to get his comeuppance!

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 am
Director

Actually I think they handled the aftereffect of Glenn and Maggie's situations pretty well. It's just a messed-up situation, the Governer using the threats of rape and murder against both of the couple to get them to sell on their friends, with one finally giving in at the end. Guilt and trauma and helplessness probably play a strong role afterwards, espeically considering how before they got captured they were two of the most optimistic people, caught up in the happy couple world (well, as happy as a couple might get in a zombie wasteland), before that came to a stop, suddenly and violently.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 am
Director

That was seriously great. Bleak and haunting. Best episode since the pilot imo (and very similar atmosphere and pacing to that too). I almost choked up when Carl said sorry to Morgan about having to shoot him, mirroring the story about his son he just told, and Morgan answered back forcefully "Don't ever be sorry." Lennie James should be in more episodes.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:44 am
Director

season finale on Sunday, any predictions? should the Governor return for Season 4?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:36 pm
Producer

SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE FINALE YET!!!

Looks like the Governor will return next season. That, to me, was the most disappointing thing about the finale. I'm sorry, but this season should have ended with a showdown between Rick and The Governor with Rick (or Micchone or Daryl, but SOMEBODY!) killing him. It's disappointing that to me that Governor survives the season.

Other than that, it was a good finale. Just a tad anticlimatic.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:30 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Other than that, it was a good finale. Just a tad anticlimatic.

Agreed. This season left too many plot threads hanging - the first two seasons were more self-contained. Nonetheless, I think this season is overall the best yet (certainly a HUGE improvement over Season 2).

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:56 pm
Producer

I appear to be alone in liking season 2 the most. That's because of the whole Rick/Shane conflict. Just really compelling. Shane was such a great character. Both in terms of writing and acting.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Director

Quote:
I appear to be alone in liking season 2 the most. That's because of the whole Rick/Shane conflict. Just really compelling. Shane was such a great character. Both in terms of writing and acting.

My main issue with Season 2 was there simply weren't enough zombies in it. Further, the farm location wasn't particularly engaging. Season 3, which played out over TWO locations (and the space between), produced a lot more variety in environment. Also imo The Governor was a much better "villain" than Shane (if you can even call him that - if you are going to cut down on zombies, you at least need a good villain!).

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Director

a 4 min preview of Season 4 premiered at Comicon!

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/walki ... 200565688/

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:18 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
a 4 min preview of Season 4 premiered at Comicon!

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/walki ... 200565688/

With Tyrese in the mix now and the main setting still the prison, it looks like they're going to be stretching out the prison arc of the comics a little bit, at least for the second half of the next season. Which I guess is a good thing; might as well devote as much time as possible to the best stretch the comics have had. The whimper that was season 3's finale kind of let the wind out of the sails a little bit, but I'll still be tuning in when the show comes back in October.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Director

from review of the first 2 eps of Season 4

Quote:
The casualty count on “The Walking Dead” remains high — and that’s just its showrunners. Scott M. Gimple is the latest to step into the breach, after Glen Mazzara supplanted Frank Darabont — who developed the show — and guided it to become TV’s highest-rated hour in key demos. The new season’s first two episodes move much more assuredly than the zombies who populate the program, reflecting minor stylistic changes, perhaps — with a higher horror/splatter quotient, as if someone got that memo — but nothing that threatens to prevent fans of AMC’s blood-soaked gravy train from dutifully answering the dinner bell.

http://variety.com/2013/tv/reviews/the- ... 200672046/

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:10 pm
Director

Season 4 premiere tonight

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:56 pm
Producer

Leave it to this show to actually make me feel bad for pigs. I think the only other things I have felt anything for a pig are the movies/book Babe and Charlotte's Web.

Intense episode. Sad ending. I really liked that girl that Tyrese was seeing. :(

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:56 am
Director

Michonne's moment with the baby is very touching too.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:40 am
Producer

This might just have been the single most terrifying episode of the series. Zombies you can kill or run away from, but this illness? There's no running, there's no hiding. This episode is scarier than any movie I've ever seen about a sickness like Contagion and Outbreak. And you still have the zombie problem, like that scene where they run their car into all of those zombies.

Speaking of which, is Tyrese a badass or what? He actually survived and killed all of those zombies that completely surrounded him. Incredible.

Also, I'm intrigued where they are gonna go with the radio transmission that they heard in the car. You just know it'll come into play later on.

Overall an excellent episode. One the best of the series in fact.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:09 am
Director

I haven't read the comics, but I've heard when Tyrese was first introduced a lot of readers were excited because he's some kind of hammer god or something, and then he turned out to be a pretty regular guy. Maybe this season will change him a little bit towards his comic counterpart or something.

Beth has been heartbreaking (in a low-key way) in all her moments thus far this season.

Yeah, this season is looking to be a more downer, humane one. I could be down with that (if executed well).

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:57 pm
Director

mid season finale tonight. this season seems to have polarized fans a bit.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:13 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next