Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
An Octoberfest of Horror Films 
Cinematographer

Post Re: An Octoberfest of Horror Films
Vexer wrote:
Shade2 wrote:
Your thoughts here pretty much mirror my own. It's brutal indeed... and nothing really beyond that.

So naturally, the producers of Twilight are remaking it. Wonderful.

I agree with some of your complaints, though I enjoyed the movie moreso then you guys did, at least it's conveys it's message far better then Funny Games did. I'm certainly not opposed to a remake, perhaps it could fix some of the problems the film had.

I could be totally wrong, but my gut tells me the American version of this movie would be awful. I obviously didn't like the movie, but the last thing I'd want to see is some neutered, "hopeful" version of it, which is what we're reportedly getting. And by reportedly, I mean that's what Wikipedia says.

wisey wrote:
This is one of only about four films I’ve seen that’s been reviewed on this excellent thread. Can’t handle horrors, being raised by a ridiculously religous mother, will make you believe in god, and therefore the devil, and fuck going to sleep with that in your head. Dabbling with drugs probably didn’t help either.

When your write something like this Pete, do you do much research or write it from your general knowledge of films and American society in the fifties, or is there more to it? Have you studied something specific that allows you to write and comment with such authority?

Thanks for the kind words, wisey. Our tastes have always seemed pretty similar, so I think there's a bunch of these movies you'd really like. Although, I do love the shit out of Chinatown, so maybe not. Hopefully your mom isn't quite as bad as the mother from Carrie. Have you seen that? If not, I'm not quite sure if I'd recommend it to you, but it is very good.

As for how I write these things, I usually do some research on the movie's production and background. The reactions and analysis are all my own, though. The stuff about 50s America isn't anything your typical American high school student doesn't learn in their American history class, however (you're from Australia, right?). I think I made a nice point connecting it to the movie's theme, but the actual information is fairly common knowledge. At the very least, it's knowledge someone once had that they've forgotten since high school.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:37 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
As for how I write these things, I usually do some research on the movie's production and background. The reactions and analysis are all my own, though. The stuff about 50s America isn't anything your typical American high school student doesn't learn in their American history class, however (you're from Australia, right?). I think I made a nice point connecting it to the movie's theme, but the actual information is fairly common knowledge. At the very least, it's knowledge someone once had that they've forgotten since high school.

Yeah, from the land of OZ. Would like to think I know a little about the American way of life in the 50's, but really that only stems from films, so probably have very little knowledge.

When I watched The Blob the last thing I was thinking about was something like:

PeachyPete wrote:
The titular villain, who’s quite literally devouring everything in its path, is an obvious stand in for this mentality. It’s one of the most obtuse, ham-fisted metaphors to ever be put on film, but I’ll be damned if it isn’t so wonderfully simple-minded that it’s easy to initially overlook. What better kind of movie than an intentionally bad, seemingly one-dimensional parody to use as a canvas to address the shallowness of 50s consumerism?

I put about as much thought into The Blob as I would a film like Twister, so find your thoughts quite interesting.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:44 am
Cinematographer

I've been putting off writing some responses to Pete's write-ups for awhile now, for really no good reason in particular. I figure I'll take advantage of one of my now-quite-regular bouts of insomnia and play a little catchup while I'm awake.

PeachyPete wrote:
Martyrs

PeachyPete wrote:
The movie exists as a sort of litmus test for cinephiles. How much can you endure!?!? As such, it’s an artistically devoid experience, one that is about the implications about the kind of people watching these movies, all the while reveling in that type of movie. As something to provoke a reaction, it’s succeeds marvelously. The problem is that reaction is one of disgust. Martyrs is a vile, empty cinematic endeavor. It’s nihilism for the sake of nihilism, which is not only a logically flawed world perspective, but an offensive one as well.

For the first couple of days after I watched Martyrs, I debated with myself on whether or not the film had any merit. This was what I was struggling with when I wrote some thoughts in the Last Movie thread; I could either give it a 7/10 for accomplishing what it set out to do in an efficient manner and be done with it, or a 2/10 for taking an exploitative and misogynist narrative and then having the gall to attempt to justify it as some sort of artful statement. In the end, my feeling about the film is the same as yours. I thought for a little bit about some of the open threads and the actions of certain characters, before quickly realizing that I just couldn't be bothered with giving it any more time.

PeachyPete wrote:
The Blob

Right from the beginning, when that catchy theme song started up, I knew I was going to like this one. I love the small role of the fire chief, especially his muted reaction to the diner being on fire (about 4:50 in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijjzBk1 ... ure=relmfu). Great campy fun, but as you mentioned enough subtext to make it a bizarrely interesting watch as well.

PeachyPete wrote:
The Orphanage

I love this film, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you're ever looking for something similar to watch, I recommend Julia's Eyes, which also stars Belén Rueda. It's more of a thriller than a horror film, and while it's maybe not quite as successful overall as The Orphanage, it takes quite a lot of chances and gets away with many of them.

I know we're midway through November now, but the four movies you have left from your list are still worth seeing no matter what month it is. A strong mix of darker material and over-the-top gory fun. Even if you don't have time to write more extended thoughts, I'd like to read at least some brief thoughts on them, May in particular. This has been a fantastic thread.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
This sounds much more interesting than the 1960s Hammer film The Witches that I watched by mistake because I thought it was the version you were going to watch

Just caught this on TCM under the title "The Devil's Own"
Kinda liked The Wicker Man vibe, even though it wasn't very good overall. Apparently this was Joan Fontaine's final film. she turned 96 last week.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:38 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
Quote:
This sounds much more interesting than the 1960s Hammer film The Witches that I watched by mistake because I thought it was the version you were going to watch

Just caught this on TCM under the title "The Devil's Own"
Kinda liked The Wicker Man vibe, even though it wasn't very good overall. Apparently this was Joan Fontaine's final film. she turned 96 last week.

Heh, it's only been a year, but I'd be hard-pressed to remember anything about that film.

I've missed this thread this year.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9