Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Movies I Just Don't Get: Anchorman 
Critic

Post Movies I Just Don't Get: Anchorman
Seeing (and, more importantly, sitting slack-jawed through) the trailer for the new Anchorman movie has brought back a feeling I remember well from 2004 -- the feeling of wondering what on earth the big deal was.

I just don't find Anchorman to be very funny at all, let alone good. It seems completely of a piece with Will Ferrell's other hit-and-miss comedy, and yet somehow people seem to think it's brilliant. I just don't get it. Some of the gags are funny, sure. I found the battle royale sequence (complete with Tim Robbins representing PBS!) over the top enough to amuse me, but some of it is just so dumb.

What am I missing? What's the comic gold I am failing to mine?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:50 am
Assistant Director

Post Re: Movies I Just Don't Get: Anchorman
I. HATED. THIS. MOVIE.

will Ferrell can be funny. He just needs to stop screaming and stop working with Adam McKay.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

I thought the film was pretty eh, it had a few funny moments but overall it just didn't do that much for me. As far as Ferrell films go, I found Step Brothers and Night At The Roxburry more funny overall.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:19 pm
Producer

Christina Applegate's pretty good. Other than that... yeah.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Jesus, seems like a bunch of people on this forum are just a joy to be around.

Anchorman
Old School
Wedding Crashers
Step Brothers
The Other Guys

Are fucking hilarious and if I was in a room of grunts that didn't find any of those movies funny, I wouldn't be in that room for very long because I would be busy trying to get out of Bizzaro world.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Anchorman
Old School
Wedding Crashers
Step Brothers
The Other Guys

Are fucking hilarious and if I was in a room of grunts that didn't find any of those movies funny, I wouldn't be in that room for very long because I would be busy trying to get out of Bizzaro world.

I found all of them funny, Anchorman just less so then the others, though the sequel looks to be an improvement.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:54 pm
Gaffer

Don't what it is, but I find Will Ferrell to be a funny guy. And Paul Rudd. And Steve Carrell. Anchorman was so ridiculous that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to the sequel. The scene in the trailer with the RV crashing and we're seeing shit happening in slow motion is just so damn ridiculous that I had to laugh.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:27 pm
Critic

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Anchorman
Old School
Wedding Crashers
Step Brothers
The Other Guys

I found the first 20 minutes of Wedding Crashers to be pretty good, enjoyed Old School, and liked The Other Guys up until it became a bizarre screed against the 1%, which I don't object to in principle so much as I just didn't find it funny. But Anchorman is so clearly a product of improvisation -- random, off the wall comments that don't necessarily make sense or make for humor

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:16 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I thought the film was pretty eh, it had a few funny moments but overall it just didn't do that much for me. As far as Ferrell films go, I found Step Brothers and Night At The Roxburry more funny overall.

Personally, I consider Will Ferrell to be hit and miss as a comic actor/comedian. At his best (e.g. Old School, Stranger Than Fiction, The Other Guys) he is absolutely delightfully funny. At his worst (e.g. Night at the Roxbury, Taladega Nights, Blades of Glory, Step Brothers) he is practicaly unwatchable.

I recall seeing Anchorman a while back on TV and I consider it to be one of his better films, but I agree that it wasn't that great a film.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:49 pm
Second Unit Director

Am I the only one who feels that Will Ferrel tends to play the same character, just changes the name and profession?

Talladega Nights = Ron Burgendy as race car driver
Semi Pro = Burgendy as basketball player
Blades of Glorty = Burgendy as ice skater
Casa de Mi Padre = Burgendy as rancher

Ron Burgundy was the just the first and ever since then, it's been mainly the same character (with exceptions such as Winter Passing and Stranger than Fiction) over and over. Agree/disagree?

Not that playing the same character over and over is bad or anything, many actors have made their careers playing one character or a limited character type, it's just that, like James, I thought the character wore out his welcome before the end of Anchorman was over. I think I had a higher opinion of the movie than you did James, but I don't exactly see why this film turned into something of a cult classic...
-Jeremy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
I. HATED. THIS. MOVIE.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:28 pm
Cinematographer

For me, Will Farrell is the type of boisterous screen personality that works best in small doses. That's why, even after all this time, I still think his best moment is as the sinister Mugatu in Zoolander. Outside of that film, Anchorman is the only Will Farrell film for which I have a little bit of a soft spot, and I think that mostly has to do with the strength of the supporting cast around him.

With that said, I think all the comic potential of this group of characters had already been thoroughly mined in that first film. I can't see myself ever having much enthusiasm for the sequel.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I don't like Anchorman either. I HATED Zoolander. Loved Elf though.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:46 pm
Second Unit Director

My wife hates Anchorman because I quote it incessantly. :lol:

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:37 pm
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
I don't like Anchorman either. I HATED Zoolander. Loved Elf though.

I love Anchorman but I'm with you on Elf and while I didn't hate Zoolander, it's definitely extremely overrated and rather so-so.

I thought Step Brothers was rather so-so as well.

But I love Wedding Crashers/Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back/Talladega Nights/Stranger Than Fiction/The Campaign and liked Old School/Kicking and Screaming/Blades of Glory/The Other Guys.

The ones that didn't work for me include Land of the Lost and The Producers although he was arguably the best thing about the latter.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:05 pm
Auteur

Jack Black tends to get the same sort of criticism for playing similar roles, though I enjoy both. Liked Bewitched, Land Of The Lost and pretty much every other role Farrel has done with the exception of Producers, which I found to be pretty lousy, Farrel and musicals just don't mix very well.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:23 am
Producer

I was going to make a really harsh comment about frat boys, but I think I'll keep it under my hat. This isn't quite the full-on Anchorman dogpile I was expecting.

I do think Will Ferrell is genuinely funny. He can't not be. But I don't think he's well-suited to a feature-length narrative. He and many of his cohorts are a lot like Steve Carell's character in The Office: they were so good at what they did at their old jobs that they got promoted, and now they're doing jobs in which their talents don't fit as well.

And before anybody accuses me of being a joyless movie fascist with no sense of humor, I will point out that I was one of the few people to go to bat in defense of Jackass. Street cred: established.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:42 am
Producer

True, Anchorman is overrated!

As far as Ferrel comedies go - Old School is the best IMHO.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:52 am
Cinematographer

I thought Ferrell's "acting skills" were a bit one dimensional in Anchorman. He was just stretching out an SNL character for 90 minutes and the performance reflected that. I didn't think the movie was terrible, but I wasn't overwhelmed either. Frank the Tank notwithstanding. I find Farrell's inclusion as a bit player in movies prior to that to be annoying and entirely self-serving "look at me" performances. I'm thinking of movies like Austin Powers, Jay and Silent Bob and, to a degree, Wedding Crashers. With that said, I do like some of Ferrell's more understated lead performances in things like Stranger Than Fiction and Everything Must Go. Will I see Anchorman 2 in the theater? Probably not. But some of the car commercials have been pretty darn funny.

Last edited by Johnny Larue on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 am
Director

The Other Guys is ok and Old School is very good, while I strangely LOVE Blade of Glory. Just pure absurdity that hits all my funny bones. Other than that either I haven't seen them yet or they're not good. I might check out Anchorman.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:51 am