Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:20 am

Screw this movie. I'm tapping out. 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Screw this movie. I'm tapping out.
nitrium wrote:
You lot who stopped watching are clearly soft! I have NEVER bailed on a movie. You must finish what you start, as agonising as that may be. Besides, how can you otherwise be CERTAIN it's bad if you haven't watched the whole thing?

I see your point, but I think that there are cases where not being able to finish a film can be as good a critique as finishing it and reviewing it.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Director

nitrium wrote:
You lot who stopped watching are clearly soft! I have NEVER bailed on a movie. You must finish what you start, as agonising as that may be. Besides, how can you otherwise be CERTAIN it's bad if you haven't watched the whole thing?

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but I actually think you don't necessarily have to see the entire movie to know for certain if it's good or bad.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:05 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
I've tried, man. I've tried and tried. I've given it multiple shots for almost two months ago and I just can't get through it.

Ladies and gentlemen, Screamers has failed me. Or I've failed Screamers. Maybe both. At any rate, I keep putting it down and forcing myself to pick it back up, but even now, at halfway through the movie, I concede. It's not that I actively dislike the movie or find anything inherently disinteresting about the idea of it, but somehow I'm so disengaged from it that I simply do not care to continue with it. The excellent Peter Weller notwithstanding, this movie is destined to be half-finished with me now and perhaps forever.

Has anybody else experienced this with a movie?

The "great" classic Birth of a Nation falls into this category for me. It also took me a few tries to get through Triumph of the Will.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:16 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but I actually think you don't necessarily have to see the entire movie to know for certain if it's good or bad.

Indeed, it's gotten to the point where I can spot crap a mile away -- usually from the trailer, which these days are generally just consolidated versions of the movie anyway. :geek:

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:18 pm
Director

Battle of Algiers was another one for me. Could not get into it.

Oh yeah, and Monkey Business. Shut that off after 30 minutes and never looked back. Hawks at his lowest point. Also shut off El Dorado about 30 minutes in. And Ball of Fire, and Air Force, AND I Was a Male War Bride. Started all of those, finished none. I often just can't get into Hawks.

Shut off Lubitsch's Design for Living after about 10 minutes while watching on my laptop. Year or so later I saw it at TCM fest and loved it. Lubitsch really needs a crowd.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:39 pm
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Indeed, it's gotten to the point where I can spot crap a mile away -- usually from the trailer, which these days are generally just consolidated versions of the movie anyway. :geek:

Trailers can often be extremely misleading and in some cases can fool you into thinking a certain film is completely different then what it actually is, so it's not always a necessarily a clear indicator of whether a film will be good or bad, though there are admittedly some films that look off-putting enough based on both the trailer and premise that make me want to avoid them at all costs(Bad Grandpa being one example, it looks absolutely horrible, the trailer failed to elicit even a single laugh from me).

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NeverTrustATrailer/Film

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:55 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
But Ken!

On a distant mining planet ravaged by a decade of war, scientists have created the perfect weapon: a blade-wielding, self-replicating race of killing devices known as...

That sounds amazing!

Oh, it does sound amazing, but the movie is actually a bit boring. The most memorable thing about it is that the planet's atmosphere is so poisonous for humans, that, in order to survive, they have to ... smoke cigarettes!

nitrium wrote:

I used to have the same attitude, but - as I grew older - I had the insight that life is too short to make absolutely certain that I am watching a bad movie. I don't watch movies for professional reasons, but for pleasure, and if that isn't forthcoming, I'm not obliged to waste my time on it. Paying for a cinema ticket or a movie rental also only buys me the right to see a movie, which doesn't mean I wouldn't have the choice not to if I don't feel like it.

On topic, in these days of constant sleep deprivation, I tend to fall asleep on movies which aren't engaging (and sometimes on movies that actually are engaging, too). Just last weekend, I deliberately gave up on a movie on TV, though ('The Star Chamber' featuring Michael Douglas, to be precise). After the second act, it was very predictable how the third act would play out and I just couldn't be bothered to see my expectations confirmed. I later checked the plot summary on wikipedia, though, which showed me that I was right.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:06 pm
Auteur

Unke wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
But Ken!

On a distant mining planet ravaged by a decade of war, scientists have created the perfect weapon: a blade-wielding, self-replicating race of killing devices known as...

That sounds amazing!

Oh, it does sound amazing, but the movie is actually a bit boring. The most memorable thing about it is that the planet's atmosphere is so poisonous for humans, that, in order to survive, they have to ... smoke cigarettes!

nitrium wrote:

I used to have the same attitude, but - as I grew older - I had the insight that life is too short to make absolutely certain that I am watching a bad movie. I don't watch movies for professional reasons, but for pleasure, and if that isn't forthcoming, I'm not obliged to waste my time on it. Paying for a cinema ticket or a movie rental also only buys me the right to see a movie, which doesn't mean I wouldn't have the choice not to if I don't feel like it.

On topic, in these days of constant sleep deprivation, I tend to fall asleep on movies which aren't engaging (and sometimes on movies that actually are engaging, too). Just last weekend, I deliberately gave up on a movie on TV, though ('The Star Chamber' featuring Michael Douglas, to be precise). After the second act, it was very predictable how the third act would play out and I just couldn't be bothered to see my expectations confirmed. I later checked the plot summary on wikipedia, though, which showed me that I was right.

I loved The Star Chamber, shame you gave up on it. also it wasnt' a made-for-TV film, it did actually go to theaters.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:03 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Trailers can often be extremely misleading and in some cases can fool you into thinking a certain film is completely different then what it actually is, so it's not always a necessarily a clear indicator of whether a film will be good or bad, though there are admittedly some films that look off-putting enough based on both the trailer and premise that make me want to avoid them at all costs.

That's usually a device employed for trailers of more artsy films (i.e. the kinds you'd likely never be interested in seeing in the first place :| ). Any time a studio is unsure how to market a film, they usually try to dumb down its trailer and make it as broad as possible, even if it's only for a certain type of sensibility.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:00 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Didn't Ebert once write a review without watching the whole movie? I don't remember what the movie was.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Steven wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Didn't Ebert once write a review without watching the whole movie? I don't remember what the movie was.

Yes he did, and people got really pissed at him for it, so he eventually saw the rest of the film and gave it a proper review.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:16 pm
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Ken wrote:
I've tried, man. I've tried and tried. I've given it multiple shots for almost two months ago and I just can't get through it.

Ladies and gentlemen, Screamers has failed me. Or I've failed Screamers. Maybe both. At any rate, I keep putting it down and forcing myself to pick it back up, but even now, at halfway through the movie, I concede. It's not that I actively dislike the movie or find anything inherently disinteresting about the idea of it, but somehow I'm so disengaged from it that I simply do not care to continue with it. The excellent Peter Weller notwithstanding, this movie is destined to be half-finished with me now and perhaps forever.

It also took me a few tries to get through Triumph of the Will.

Quite ironic really

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:31 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Ken wrote:

Quite ironic really

Not ironic, really. Perhaps just amusingly apt

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:27 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Quite ironic really

Not ironic, really. Perhaps just amusingly apt

Foghorn Leghorn said it best: "The lips are flapping, but nothing's coming out, son.".

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:55 pm