Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World 
Auteur

Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Threeperf35 wrote:
Yep: the hipster effect.

Sorry but pop/rock music lost me long ago (I must sound like a granddad talking about Collins/Gabriel). I listen to, say, Adele and I fully recognize her talent - she does have great and powerful set of pipes - and I can even hear her "white finds a way to emulate black without it being too obviuous" talent - but folks, throw stones at me, it doesn't give me the goosebumps (and I don't say that because it's the topic on hand). There are tons of rock groups these days who make music I simply don't care about, same as those female singer songwriters who are oh so innovative but play piano like a student during the first or second year - image and set design has become the thing since Mtv started way back in 1980 - maybe it's my age - I'm 52. You won't hear me saying this to professionals and colleagues: I rather be considered a pussy and eat and pay my rent than having the balls and be homeless. That's the name of the game.

Yeah, Kelly Clarkson for example has some real cool stuff and she can sang, but somehow it's considered uncool talking about her. At least nobody I know does talk about her. No, Adele is the shit - at least she is way better (IMHO) than, say, Norah Jones, who was the shit some ten years ago. All famous singers at the time made sure, in interviews when the topic came up, they "loved" her. I found her singing and playing boring and more about posture than music. Her piano skills are just slightly better than Alicia Keys'. I'd say very poor.

Same with movies. As I said before: I worked as a composer for tv commercials during about 15 years. There was a kind of movie and music you had to like (incluiding club techno - chill out) if you said you don't like it - you were read as incompetent. Easy as that. Show your balls and you lose your job for good. It's easy to say: "don't be a pussy". I can say the truth: "I love the Hammond and guitar in the intro of "Foreplay/Long Time" from Boston (1976) - (not the mainstreamy song "Long Time") which BTW was a hot rodded M3 (by Tom Scholz) not even the grand B3 (which Scholz couldn't afford at the time). Naw, never mention that stuff if yo
you want to keep your job. Many critrics fake their real taste to stay in the game (even though in a more subtle way).

If I was king of the movie world, this would be questioned in each case (why exactly did you love Juno - the Burger-phone?) and banned if necessary. Without sounding like licking his ass. Please read Ken's sig. There's my exact opinion.

I agree with you 100% on Norah Jones, for me she is the musical equivalent of valium, I have no idea why my mom and sister love her music so much, Alicia is infintely more talented then her.

I'd imagine the same thing applies to food critics, people look at me weird when I tell them I don't like steak, i'm guessing a food critic would get penalized for admitting to not liking certain foods.

I can't imagine ever wanting to work in a profession where you have to "fake" your tastes, I enjoy techno music, but I wouldn't like the idea that I HAD to like it or get fired.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:04 pm
Vex,

Please trust me (just do it please) neither Norah Jones nor Alicia Keys can play the piano. There are hundreds of fellow keybarders who need to play hours worth of stuff from other people and they very are good at it. Only because you are pretty (halo effect) and just play your own stuff (so you don't have to learn painfully how others did it) in a modern "dont make it too complicated" style, doesn't make you a skilled person. Any keyboarder in a "David Letterman" kind of show is a thousand times better than Norah Jones or Alicia Keys. But it's so uncool talking about it. That's the whole point.

And (please forgive me y'all, I just have to do this), hey Professor Dr. Unke - who recently offended me heavily for no apparent reason, is this one of my bullshit posts you mentioned? If so, why? I'm all ears. Come on and show me you got a pair and reply in your finest posh English!

I apologize for this last bit in advance to everyone. I simply don't forget certain heavily agressive posts, putting myself as a member of this board into question. I also would very, very much appreciate some supoport from people who know I am not full of shit. Friends should renain friends even if times get rough. Please don't just save your own butts. I know from dozens of posts that you are way better people than that. Thank you.

If anyone thinks (again) I am in the wrong, I'll be happy to be out of here for good. If anyone thinks I'm worth shit: please have the balls and please speak up and stand up. Thanks

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Y'know, I don't think this is really the thread for publically calling people out. It's a weird move, and one I don't get since I haven't seen Unke make a post designed to offend you, at least not any time recently.

You seem like a nice guy, but your posts are sometimes a little troubling.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:41 pm
Auteur

AJR wrote:
Y'know, I don't think this is really the thread for publically calling people out. It's a weird move, and one I don't get since I haven't seen Unke make a post designed to offend you, at least not any time recently.

Agreed, I don't even recall nke ever making such a post, exactly what was it about?

Also for the record I don't feel that strongly about Alicia Keys, I think she's an Ok singer and piano player(just one man's opinon), but that's it, so i'm not going to get into a discussion over it.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:14 am
AJR wrote:

Bang! There we are. "Sometimes" means: this happened before. Statement. No questioning why. Just evaluation. I am not criticising the post or even the statement. I am criticising the absence of any hint of "maybe this guy has a reason". Nah, he sounds troubled. That's all. Well O.K. then. The first two posts after mine did exactly the opposite of what I was asking for. That's fine. I spoke my mind. That's all.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:45 am
Director

Quote:
Bang! There we are. "Sometimes" means: this happened before. Statement. No questioning why. Just evaluation. I am not criticising the post or even the statement. I am criticising the absence of any hint of "maybe this guy has a reason". Nah, he sounds troubled. That's all. Well O.K. then. The first two posts after mine did exactly the opposite of what I was asking for. That's fine. I spoke my mind. That's all.

Exactly. People don't want to consider the possibility that the poster in question has a legitimate grievance, and that an online forum is really a terrific place to let them out. What some call trolling is more often simply doing what's natural and what's right. Not to try and put words in your mouth though, I'm just speaking for myself.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:08 am
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Exactly. People don't want to consider the possibility that the poster in question has a legitimate grievance, and that an online forum is really a terrific place to let them out. What some call trolling is more often simply doing what's natural and what's right. Not to try and put words in your mouth though, I'm just speaking for myself.

I am not 100% sure if you mean:
A) people should not(but unfortunately they usually do) take each and every post at face value - especially when the poster is a known and long time member
B) one should be careful and not spell their beans into an internet Forum which is about something completely different (in this case movies).

At any rate I really appreciate your honest post trying to find the truth and peace.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:29 am
Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
Sorry but pop/rock music lost me long ago (I must sound like a granddad talking about Collins/Gabriel). I listen to, say, Adele and I fully recognize her talent - she does have great and powerful set of pipes - and I can even hear her "white finds a way to emulate black without it being too obviuous" talent - but folks, throw stones at me, it doesn't give me the goosebumps (and I don't say that because it's the topic on hand). There are tons of rock groups these days who make music I simply don't care about, same as those female singer songwriters who are oh so innovative but play piano like a student during the first or second year - image and set design has become the thing since Mtv started way back in 1980 - maybe it's my age - I'm 52. You won't hear me saying this to professionals and colleagues: I rather be considered a pussy and eat and pay my rent than having the balls and be homeless. That's the name of the game.

Yeah, Kelly Clarkson for example has some real cool stuff and she can sang, but somehow it's considered uncool talking about her. At least nobody I know does talk about her. No, Adele is the shit - at least she is way better (IMHO) than, say, Norah Jones, who was the shit some ten years ago. All famous singers at the time made sure, in interviews when the topic came up, they "loved" her. I found her singing and playing boring and more about posture than music. Her piano skills are just slightly better than Alicia Keys'. I'd say very poor.

Speaking as one who more or less gave up on popular music about 5-6 years ago, around the time when Nickelback more or less got accepted as a legitimate musical act (there are groups whose album I buy religiously (Pearl Jam, NIN, Common, Wilco, Green Day (Although their latest stuff hasn't been very impressive))) I can't really argue with what I suspect is your overall point: that a lot of the popular stuff today is simply soulless and uninspired. Alicia Keys and Beyonce are alike in that they're good singers and performers. But songwriting is their achilles heel.

I always found Norah Jones to be more or less cocktail lounge music. Not really my cup of tea. But not necessarily bad in the same way that say John Mayer's soulless attempts at re-writing Jackson Browne's music are. Or for another example, a few years back when "You're Beautiful" was inescapable and a good signifiacnt portion of the public seemed to be in love with James Blunt. Until they realized that Blunt was more or less a bogus Van Morrison wannabe.

In some ways I'd say that most people who listen to music on a regular basis tend to form most of their tastes during their teens and young adulthoods. That kinda carries through. In my case I grew up likeing rock )primarily"Alternative", Punk and classic rock) and old school hip-hop. But I also have appreciation for soul, Jazz snf even some classic country. A lot of teh current stuff comes off as weak retreads of what's been done before and done better. Unlike the aformentioned Winehouse or The WHite Stripes who took classic sounds, reconfigured them to match their own personalities and came up with a style all their own, many groups today are content to simply recycle. In the process a lot gets lost.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:20 am
Anyway, I'm out for good. I'm folding it. I'm troubled and disturbing. Yes I am. A little support instead of lecturing or "I dunno nuthin' haven't seen nuthin'" woukld have been really great. But then probably one of the forum "tough guys" would come in calling me self-loathing, having no idea who I am at all (good or bad). Man that must be on hell of an ego-boost.

The ones I'll miss most will be Ken and James Kunz. Highly intellient, knowledgeabke and educated people - who prove it over and over again (not just ultra-academic sounding hit'n'run posts) never lookinig down on anyone never ever patronizing or lecturing (except for long forgotten quirks).

As long as there are "I haven't seen anything- members, those who won't jump in for somewone who has proven knowledge and honesty, and people who love lecturing and patronizing "you need professional help" taking a bath in vanity - and mods who get it all wrong - really wrong (yes I am talking to you guys), because the have no clue - I have no business being here.

Oh I seem troubled, so instead of trying to find out why or if it is true at all - nah, let's all play by the rules and make some snappy remarks. Well done.

No hard feelings. Honestly.
Good by y'all. Keep on watching great movies.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:21 pm
Director

I'm confused; is there some other threads where Threeperf35 got attacked verbally? I don't think he gets upset from this thread..? Anyway, I'm sad if you're really gone. I really value all your knowledge about music in movies. Very enlightening and different read for an understated aspect of movies. I hope you can come back soon.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:17 pm
Auteur

Whoa, where the hell did all that come from? :shock: :? I never saw anyone calling you "troubled" or anything like that, so i'm baffled as to why you're getting so defensive all of a sudden, you come off as a bit arrogant, thinking you know more then everyone else on here. I don't get what you mean by " I haven't seen anything" members, you're not making a lick of sense, no one's made any snappy remarks towards you or questioned you're knowledge(though I get the impression that you think your opinions are superior to others merely because of you're profession)I think you're the one who has it all wrong, not the mods.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 pm
Vexer wrote:
Whoa, where the hell did all that come from? :shock: :? I never saw anyone calling you "troubled" or anything like that, so i'm baffled as to why you're getting so defensive all of a sudden, you come off as a bit arrogant, thinking you know more then everyone else on here. I don't get what you mean by " I haven't seen anything" members, you're not making a lick of sense, no one's made any snappy remarks towards you or questioned you're knowledge(though I get the impression that you think your opinions are superior to others merely because of you're profession)I think you're the one who has it all wrong, not the mods.

Before I leave for good: Vex - it has been a pleasure. This is a misunderstanding. The last thing I want to be is arrogant. I don't know more than anyone else here. If I did there would have been no point in being a member. I did learn a lot about movies I didn't know, about screenwriting and abour people. There were (and are) members who really ARE arrogant - they just know how to sell themselves by staying on topic (the movies). And there are others who really do know their movies (and books and stage plays) and they talk about it in a way so we all can learn, not just claiming superiority by some clever hints - but after that just hot air) - and I thank these members. I really do.

I will remember you, Vex, as an honest, always true-to-himself guy. I don't think you think I am arrogant. You probably just got the idea because I was defensive lately. Trust me: some people really attacked me, lectured me and patronized me. Oh, l I'm not sorry for myself, I just fold it and set up my tent at anpother place. It has been nice knowing you. I mean it.

P.S. only because I am a musician that doesn't mean I'm any good at it. Maybe a suck, maybe not. But people who mention the bass player of "U2" as their fav in a very aggressive way while saying they don't care about bass players - don't deserve my attention. It's a bit like saying: generally don't care about actresses, but I think Jessica Alba is quite good. Yeah, sure.

Have a great life, Vex!

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:14 pm
Assistant Director

An actor/actress/director's career can't end after one bad movie. Their career future must be decided based on how well they can act/direct, not if they were screwed by a studio.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Character in films must not constantly talk in really low hushed voices which make it almost impossible to discern what the hell they're saying without subtitles.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:42 am
Director

Wow, I'm very late to the party, obviously, but this whole abrupt departure from ThreePerf was/is pretty fucked up! :? To go so far as to request your account to be deleted - as opposed to simply never coming back - I don't get it.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Speaking as one who more or less gave up on popular music about 5-6 years ago, around the time when Nickelback more or less got accepted as a legitimate musical act (there are groups whose album I buy religiously (Pearl Jam, NIN, Common, Wilco, Green Day (Although their latest stuff hasn't been very impressive))) I can't really argue with what I suspect is your overall point: that a lot of the popular stuff today is simply soulless and uninspired. Alicia Keys and Beyonce are alike in that they're good singers and performers. But songwriting is their achilles heel.

I always found Norah Jones to be more or less cocktail lounge music. Not really my cup of tea. But not necessarily bad in the same way that say John Mayer's soulless attempts at re-writing Jackson Browne's music are. Or for another example, a few years back when "You're Beautiful" was inescapable and a good signifiacnt portion of the public seemed to be in love with James Blunt. Until they realized that Blunt was more or less a bogus Van Morrison wannabe.

In some ways I'd say that most people who listen to music on a regular basis tend to form most of their tastes during their teens and young adulthoods. That kinda carries through. In my case I grew up likeing rock )primarily"Alternative", Punk and classic rock) and old school hip-hop. But I also have appreciation for soul, Jazz snf even some classic country. A lot of teh current stuff comes off as weak retreads of what's been done before and done better. Unlike the aformentioned Winehouse or The White Stripes who took classic sounds, reconfigured them to match their own personalities and came up with a style all their own, many groups today are content to simply recycle. In the process a lot gets lost.

What's bothered me most about popular music since the '80s ended is the extreme air of disposability that most of it has these days; something I never detected from the likes of, say, The Doors or Pink Floyd (even their fluffier material usually had a bit of an edge to it -- see the final minute of "Hello, I Love You"). I remember reading that Jethro Tull's Thick As a Brick topped the Billboard chart when it first came out 40+ years ago. Can you imagine an album like that being a best seller today (let alone going #1)? If you put that album for the average teen today, it would probably send most of them into the fetal position. :P As James has written in various articles, entertainment is becoming more and more about instant gratification than long-term satisfaction. The fact that my generation more or less held a group as one-dimensional as Nirvana up on the same pedestal as my parents' generation did The Beatles is proof enough, I suppose.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:24 am
Auteur

For me that's a good thing, I never liked Jethro Tull one bit(not a Doors or Pink Floyd fan either), I mostly know him from winning the "Best Heavy Metal" award at the Grammy's over freaking Metallica! What an absolute joke that was.

Personally I don't think most popular music really sounds "disposable" over other forms of music, as long it's entertaining then I like it just fine, and I don't really see how the whole "instant gratification" thing applies to music.

Agreed on Nirvana though, I never liked their music or any grunge for that matter, give me 80s rock any of the week!

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:00 pm
Producer

Popular music has always had its disposable element. Nobody remembers the disposable groups from the days of Led Zeppelin and the Beatles, because they've been disposed of. Certain ultra-manufactured curiosities like The Monkees and The Partridge Family survive in our memory, mainly through their association with other media besides music.

There's never not going to be great music out there. But it's not necessarily happening in recorded music, it isn't necessarily happening in rock music, and it sure as shit isn't happening on FM radio--every single one of which is proving to be just as short-lived as any other briefly-fecund phenomenon in popular entertainment.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:01 pm
Director

Well, The Monkees also managed to gain some creative control over their music as well. I doubt Mike Nesmith would've been able to record songs like "Tapioca Tundra" or "Circle Sky" with the group on Don Kirshner's watch. :| The trouble for me is, the more innovative groups are no longer considered mainstream. Hell, I'd even argue the fluff pop isn't is good as what it used to be. Compare, say, "Wishin' and Hopin'" by Dusty Springfield to the average Britney Spears song. Few people who truly understand music can deny the former definitely understands melodic structure and vocal/instrumental arrangement; the latter usually fluctuates between 5 notes melody-wise and the backing track is all synthesized glop and a stock beat.

:P

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:14 pm
Auteur

I don't care how "complicated" music is or how many notes it is in what pattern, all I care about how good it actually sounds, so i'll gladly take Britney SPears over Jethro Tull thank you very much.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:58 pm
Director

Yeah, we all know the drill, Vex -- you'll always prefer something that's blatantly commercial/mainstream over something that's not.

Anyway, back to the original topic...

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:15 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next