Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 pm

The Hobbit 
Post The Hobbit
Trailer is now live http://youtu.be/JTSoD4BBCJc

I can't listen with sound at work unfortunately but thoughts? Just going on visuals they seem to be playing up slapstick style humour which was my least favorite part of the LOTR trilogy but I could be wrong, i'll have to check it out properly later.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:20 am
Post Re: The Hobbit
Nick wrote:
Trailer is now live http://youtu.be/JTSoD4BBCJc

I can't listen with sound at work unfortunately but thoughts? Just going on visuals they seem to be playing up slapstick style humour which was my least favorite part of the LOTR trilogy but I could be wrong, i'll have to check it out properly later.

Going on visuals, slapstick is right. The audio adds gravity to it. Good voiceovers and dwarves singing!

This trailer makes me happy. The Hobbit isn't as epic (or as important?) as Lord of the Rings, and it shows here... but whatever.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:37 am
Filli and Killi look like fuckin elves. BLASPHEMOUS!

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:01 pm
Director

Quote:
Exhibs and press who gathered at Caesars Palace for WB's presentation -- including 10 minutes of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" -- were decidedly mixed over what they saw of the pic's 48 frames-per-second format, which James Cameron championed at last year's confab but won't arrive in theaters until the first half of Jackson's adaptation, due Dec. 14.

Exhibitors would need at least software-level projection upgrades to show the format, and while the footage presented a dark and intriguing vision for the "Lord of the Rings" origin story, not all were enamored of the look of the doubletime frame rate.

The "Hobbit" reel looked distinctively sharper and more immediate than everything shown before it, giving the 3D smoother movement and crisp sharpness, while losing the cinematic glow of the industry-standard 24 fps. The realism gave CG characters a distinct presence, but human actors seemed overlit and amplified in a way that many compared to modern sports broadcasts (as high as 60 fps in HD) and daytime television.

"It reminds me of when I first saw Blu-Ray, in that it takes away that warm feeling of film," said one owner of a midsized, Western-states exhib chain. "It looked to me like a behind-the-scenes featurette."

Jackson has eight months to address imperfections in what is sure to be a rigorous post-production, given what's at stake for public acceptance of faster projection.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053075

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 pm
I'm trying to noodle out who "frame rate" would influence a digital projector...

When they make the movie in digital format, the camera they use captures so many stills for each second. This is normally 24/sec the same as film. When the movie is shown, it is projected the same way with the projector putting 24 stills per second onto the screen. Now they have created a movie in 48fps so the projectors have to show twice as many stills to project the same movie. Assuming the same format (x:y) this would double the data storage needed, but the base projection software is currently capable of only 24fps and would require an upgrade.

The above is all one big question. Are any of my assertions correct?

This is fascinating and could change the appearance of movies completely. The first time I saw a BlueRay, I felt a bit voyeuristic, like I was peeking in the window at people acting out a scene in the next room. This could turn theaters into that?

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:40 pm
Cinematographer

http://movies.ign.com/articles/122/1223523p1.html

Apparently, fantasy movies don't lend themselves to the whole "hi-def realism" thing. Who knew.

That is not to say that the higher framerate is worthless. For instance, I think it would be great for gritty action films, emotional dramas, or anything that really emphasizes the humanity of the characters. Also, Avatar 2.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:46 pm
I've been reading everything I can get my eyes on regarding this 48FPS projection. Man, this is probably one of the biggest changes in how movies are projected that we've seen. I wonder if it will be ultimately rejected as "too detailed" for moviegoers to handle...

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00049956.html

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:12 pm
Somehow I don't think the 48fps format is going to catch on, I don't think the industry needs something like that. Cinemagoers are just starting to get used to movies being all-digital, asking them to accept a 48FPS is a bit much, I REALLY hope this dosen't become like 3-D, where studios start mandating post-production edits to movies shot in 24FPS to make them 48FPS(if such a thing is at all possible that is).

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:44 pm
I doubt the average movie-goer could tell you whether the movie they just watched was captured or projected in digital or film. The 48PFS will be the next closest step to having the live-action occur in front of you. Upconverting will not really be possible or necessary. Theaters will be able to toggle between 24 and 48 formats at a PC and not all movies will benefit from the 48.
Vexer, you'll benefit a lot. Your action movies will be action-ier.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:22 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
I doubt the average movie-goer could tell you whether the movie they just watched was captured or projected in digital or film. The 48PFS will be the next closest step to having the live-action occur in front of you. Upconverting will not really be possible or necessary. Theaters will be able to toggle between 24 and 48 formats at a PC and not all movies will benefit from the 48.
Vexer, you'll benefit a lot. Your action movies will be action-ier.

If you say so, i'm sure there are lots of potential benefits from this format, but i'm still very nervous, I want to feel like i'm watching a film, not a live newscast.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:35 pm
I am looking forward to it only so that i can see stephen fry.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:41 pm
Director

New Desolation of Smaug trailer.

About on par with the last one, until Cumberbatch's epic Smaug voice near the end.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:43 am
Director

It's pretty similar to the first one, except that one was more action-driven, and this one is more character-driven... oh, and Bilbo was in it more. ;)

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:52 am
Director

The Desolation of Smaug looks pretty entertaining, or would be if The Hobbit weren't stretched out to nine hours. (A four hour duology would have been fine.) I look forward toward Bilbo meeting Smaug.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:17 pm
Cinematographer

Has there been any talk on whether there will be 48 fps screenings again with this new chapter? Last year, that experiment was ubiquitous with An Unexpected Journey. Seems like the interest in the higher frame rate has mostly evaporated.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:55 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Blonde Almond wrote:
Has there been any talk on whether there will be 48 fps screenings again with this new chapter? Last year, that experiment was ubiquitous with An Unexpected Journey. Seems like the interest in the higher frame rate has mostly evaporated.

I'm relieved at that, because I don't like the idea of movies looking like soap operas.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:59 am
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
The Desolation of Smaug looks pretty entertaining, or would be if The Hobbit weren't stretched out to nine hours. (A four hour duology would have been fine.) I look forward toward Bilbo meeting Smaug.

But, remember, it's not just The Hobbit; it's The Hobbit Plus. :P

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:52 am