Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am

Screw this movie. I'm tapping out. 
Director

Post Screw this movie. I'm tapping out.
I've tried, man. I've tried and tried. I've given it multiple shots for almost two months ago and I just can't get through it.

Ladies and gentlemen, Screamers has failed me. Or I've failed Screamers. Maybe both. At any rate, I keep putting it down and forcing myself to pick it back up, but even now, at halfway through the movie, I concede. It's not that I actively dislike the movie or find anything inherently disinteresting about the idea of it, but somehow I'm so disengaged from it that I simply do not care to continue with it. The excellent Peter Weller notwithstanding, this movie is destined to be half-finished with me now and perhaps forever.

Has anybody else experienced this with a movie?

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:22 am
Producer

Post Re: Screw this movie. I'm tapping out.
I walked out of Borat at the cinema - when I realised that the joke was over in 3 minutes.

I've tried watching the following, and not finished -

Crash (bailed out right before the end, fucking tedious)
Spiderman 3 (I'm not sure if I even finished it, I think I went for a dump, which was wonderful by the way. 5*)
Jerry Mcguire (Yawn)
Bridget Jones 2 - The Edge of Reason (my Wife and I attempted this twice, with no success)

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:28 am
Producer

Crocodile Dundee in LA (needless to say)
Revolver

...and I'm still one hour into Killer Joe, but can't be arsed finshing it. Does it pick up?

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:29 am
Cinematographer

I have started and stopped both A Clockwork Orange and Soylent Green several times, but just haven't been able to be drawn into the stories. Soylent Green I sort of understand since the reveal is universally known. It's a Wonderful Life used to be in this category also, but I forced myself through it a couple of years ago and am glad I did.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:39 am
Director

After thinking that I haven't done that (I usually avoid movies that this situation would occur to anyway) I just realize that oh yes, Meet the Parents and Bridemaids. For me if awkward comedies have a far, far higher ratio of awkward, embarrassing situations to what I find funny or worthwhile, it will become painful to sit through. To be fair, I started Meet the Parents when I was about 14-15 and might not have developed sufficient taste for this kind of humor yet, but Bridemaids just lost me.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:43 am
Producer

Several years ago I started the Grace Jones 80s horror film Vamp but never finished it because it lost my interest about 15 minutes in. I recently saw the film on Netflix Instant while searching for something else and decided to finally finish it, it was OK but I didn't feel like I would've missed out on much if I had just ignored it. Other then that i've never really given up on any films that I can think, I always do my best to watch a film from beginning to end, though I might occasionally fast-forward through part of a film if it's really long and/or boring, but that dosen't happen that often. Clockwork Orange was one of those fast-forward films, for me it was just violent and stupid and I had no patience to sit through it all the way without skipping past some parts(mainly the rape scene), it's very easy to see why Kubrick(and the author of the original novel) disowned it.

Killer Joe does indeed pick up towards the end.

I enjoyed Revolver(though it did get kinda confusing at times admittedly), Screamers, Crocodile Dundee in LA, Meet The Parents, Bridesmaids and Spiderman 3.

Borat had some laughs but wasn't as great as critics made it out to be, same with Bruno.

Jerry Macguire was way too long and uninvolving, and once you've seen it parodied so many times it's hard to really take it seriously.

I sure wish I hadn't bothered finishing Crash, it was an incredibly mediocre and overrated film that managed to waste an impressive cast and horribly botched the subject of racism in the worst possible way.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:06 pm
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
I walked out of Borat at the cinema - when I realised that the joke was over in 3 minutes.

I've yet to walk out of the theater on a movie, but there have been too many to count on which I've given up watching at home. No title of any real note, though.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:24 pm
Director

I had this reaction with Amarcord (which I should probably give another chance) and The 400 Blows. I made it a long way through About Schmidt but finally had to admit I didn't want to spend another minute in the theatre with that asshole.

But as far as repeatedly struggling to watch a film and finally admitting defeat, it's Werner Herzog's early documentary Land of Silence and Darkness. It's certainly a worthy endeavor to try to understand the world of a woman who is deaf and blind, but the movie is like nails on chalkboard to me. It's hard to believe Herzog was only a year from Aguirre, the Wrath of God.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 pm
Director

Godards Helas Por Moi

Godards la chinois

One of the bressons, name escapes me at the moment.

Dreyers vampyr

Kurosawas kagemusha

Tarkovskys Solaris

Edward Yangs Yiyi

Last tango in Paris

To name a few

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:06 pm
Critic

But Ken!

On a distant mining planet ravaged by a decade of war, scientists have created the perfect weapon: a blade-wielding, self-replicating race of killing devices known as...

That sounds amazing!

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:59 pm
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Crash (bailed out right before the end, fucking tedious)

The Cronenberg film or the Haggis film?

The only one I can immediately think of is "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective." I was at a choir party in high school, and after it had gotten dark, it was elected we'd go into the basement of the house of the kid who was hosting and watch that movie. I think I was one of the only kids who wasn't laughing at all. :ugeek: Needless to say, about halfway through I called my mom to come pick me up, I was that fed up with it. :|

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:49 am
Cinematographer

The only film I've walked out of a theater was Out of Sight, and that was because I went with a bunch of 10-12 friends that weren't precisely in the mood for it. 20 minutes in, they were fed up with the broken chronology and all that, and asked to go into another film *sigh* Six Days, Seven Nights. I guess that the comedy aspect of it was more right up their alley at the moment.

But I don't think I've bailed out on many films. I haven't finished several films, for several reasons, but the only one that I've consciously bailed out of was Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on cable. Not that it was bad, but I just didn't feel engaged or entertained. Very "meh".

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:00 am
Profile WWW
Director

I bailed on Apollo 18 20 minutes into it. Bailed on Scary Movie 2 about the same length of time into it.

H.I. McDonough wrote:
The only one I can immediately think of is "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective." I was at a choir party in high school, and after it had gotten dark, it was elected we'd go into the basement of the house of the kid who was hosting and watch that movie. I think I was one of the only kids who wasn't laughing at all. Needless to say, about halfway through I called my mom to come pick me up, I was that fed up with it.

I had a similar experience with Gone In 60 Seconds (the 2000 Dominic Sena directed version with Nicolas Cage). In the summer of 2001 I went to a friend's house for a party. At one point, several people went in to the living room to watch that, while several others went on to the back porch. I tried watching Gone in 60 Seconds. 20 minutes in, I joined the people on the porch.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:43 am
Director

Thief12 wrote:
But I don't think I've bailed out on many films. I haven't finished several films, for several reasons, but the only one that I've consciously bailed out of was Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on cable. Not that it was bad, but I just didn't feel engaged or entertained. Very "meh".

That's the weakest of the films, directed by the hack Chris Columbus. The series grows much better in Prisoner of Azbakan and Goblet of Fire, which are models of how to adapt a novel to film.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:03 pm
Second Unit Director

I never finished West Side Story after I started it. If you ask me why I didn't finish it, I'll say something to the effect of, "Because I didn't finish it." I don't know, man.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:09 am
Producer

Pedro wrote:
I never finished West Side Story after I started it. If you ask me why I didn't finish it, I'll say something to the effect of, "Because I didn't finish it." I don't know, man.

Better that you didn't, it dosen't get any better.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:57 am
Director

Quote:

Despite being a huge fan at the time, I came very close to walking out Deathly Hallows part 1. Dull, interminable, and with cinematography so bad I could hardly see at times. Then with DH2, I often can't make out anything.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:23 am
Assistant Director

The Harrison Ford/Kristen Scott Thomas drama RANDOM HEARTS, directed by the late Sydney Pollack. Dull as dirt. Walked out a little more than halfway through. Bogus central idea as well, that two people whose spouses perished in a plane crash would fall for one another. Gimme a break.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:57 am
Cinematographer

You lot who stopped watching are clearly soft! I have NEVER bailed on a movie. You must finish what you start, as agonising as that may be. Besides, how can you otherwise be CERTAIN it's bad if you haven't watched the whole thing?

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:16 am
Director

I'm not certain Screamers is bad. I'm certain I've given it more than enough chances to prove that it's good.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:35 am