Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:58 pm

Eating popcorn makes you immune to pre-movie ads. 
Director

Post Eating popcorn makes you immune to pre-movie ads.
Interesting news for popcorn munchers, of which I am one:

Quote:
The reason why adverts manage to imprint brand names on our brains is that our lips and the tongue automatically simulate the pronunciation of a new name when we first hear it. Every time we re-encounter the name, our mouth subconsciously practices its pronunciation.

However, according to the study published in the Journal of Consumer Psychology, this "inner speech" can be disturbed by chewing, rendering the repetition effect redundant.

For their experiment, the researchers invited a group of 96 people to a cinema to watch a movie preceded by a series of adverts. Half of the participants were given free popcorn throughout the session, the other half only received a small sugar cube which immediately resolved in their mouths.

A test at the end of the screening showed that the adverts had left no effect on those viewers who had chewed their way through popcorn throughout, while the other participants showed positive psychological responses to the products they had encountered in the ads.

"The mundane activity of eating popcorn made participants immune to the pervasive effects of advertising," said Sascha Topolinski, one of the researchers.

So stick it to the man and eat popcorn during the ads. Hell, stick it to the man twice and bring your own popcorn.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:18 pm
Producer

Post Re: Eating popcorn makes you immune to pre-movie ads.
I don't eat anything at the theaters(not overly fond of popcorn, and concession items are too expensive to be worth it anyways, 10.50 for an evening showing is already more then enough without adding more) and adverts don't really affect me either.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:34 am
Director

But then you're eating movie popcorn, which is an abomination. This strikes me as a solution worse than the problem.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:48 pm
Director

I'm with Vexer on this. I've visited the concession stand maybe once in the last ten years. I do, however, visit the excellent restaurant at the Warren Theatre if I have time and money. They have a hamburger where the "bun" is two grilled cheese sandwiches. It gives you all your nutrients for a couple of days in one sandwich and the satisfaction that splurging toward a potential heart-attack can bring. I dare eat it once every couple of months at most.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:53 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
But then you're eating movie popcorn, which is an abomination. This strikes me as a solution worse than the problem.

Hence bringing your own, which is not an abomination.

And everybody thinks they're immune to ads, which is why ads work.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:16 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

Hence bringing your own, which is not an abomination.

And everybody thinks they're immune to ads, which is why ads work.

Well i'm certainly not immune to trailers, those grab my attention right away(depending on the film), but ads for stuff like say Coke don't really do anything to me, as I feel no urge whatsoever to go and buy one.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:28 pm
Director

But that's not necessarily the only way that an ad can reach you. If subjected to the kind of double-blind test as described in the article, you'd very likely reveal a retention in your memory of Coca Cola that you wouldn't otherwise have. Obviously these companies want us to buy their stuff, but their basic goal by advertising to us is to raise awareness of their stuff in our consciousness.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:44 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
But that's not necessarily the only way that an ad can reach you. If subjected to the kind of double-blind test as described in the article, you'd very likely reveal a retention in your memory of Coca Cola that you wouldn't otherwise have. Obviously these companies want us to buy their stuff, but their basic goal by advertising to us is to raise awareness of their stuff in our consciousness.

But i'm already aware of Coke without seeing ads for it, so it's highly debatable how effective it truly is, and besides for every ad I remember there's at least a dozen more that I completely forget about altogether.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:52 pm
Director

I really, really dislike watching ads before a movie, but I love seeing trailers in theater so I still sit through most of them. When the ads come on I will turn to talk to my friend or look down and use my phone (not during the movie I assure you).

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:56 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
But i'm already aware of Coke without seeing ads for it, so it's highly debatable how effective it truly is, and besides for every ad I remember there's at least a dozen more that I completely forget about altogether.

Advertisements, like any other piece of memetic information, work best if they're consistently refreshed. It's the same general reason you study before a test--yeah, you've already learned the material, but going over it again will improve your ability to recall it quickly and accurately. People probably have a rustier recall of some of their own relatives' names than they have for Coke, McDonalds, Nike, etc., at least partly because those companies have ads on TV, radio, billboards, and everywhere else.

Ever wonder what the psychological mechanisms are that decide which ads you remember and which ones pass out of your mind? Coke's got teams of people who are paid specifically to figure that stuff out. Their teams are probably better than Dr. Pepper's teams, who are probably better than Fanta's teams, who are probably better than Faygo's teams, who are probably better than K-Mart's teams, and so on. The most brilliant psychologists in the world can be found in the marketing firms employed by those giant companies.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:06 am