Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:40 pm

GRAVITY 
Site Admin

Post GRAVITY
Click here for the review of Gravity

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: GRAVITY
Amen. So glad you loved this movie as much as I did. And you're right about Bullock. We're alone with her for a majority of the time (not quite as long as with Tom Hanks in Cast Away, but close), so her ability to arrest our attention and let us buy into her character's fragile state of mind is required for the movie's success. She's neck-and-neck with Cate Blanchett for the Best Actress race IMO.

And the movie does have a little something to say about our own struggles with will. Bullock's character is grieving over something from her own life, but once you stare death in the face, you gain a whole new perspective on just how insignificant your personal problems are in the grand scheme of things. At least that's how I saw it.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:28 am
Director

Definitely will be seeing this. Alfonso Cuaron is one of the few directors working right now who could be called a visionary.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:47 am
Gaffer

I have been so pumped to see this. Canot wait till Sunday. Children of Men is one of my favorites of all time and I knew Cuaron would not let us down with this.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:54 am
Auteur

Eh, looks OK at best to me. I just don't see it being worth the extra surcharge.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:25 pm
Gaffer

This sounds like Cast Away, but in space and 3D.
...please let no studio executive see this and think "Let's convert Cast Away into 3D".

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:39 pm
Assistant Director

Yeah I pretty much agree with JB. Mexican director Alfonso Cuarón direction and screenplay is very crafty and entertaining with the help of Chris Parks supervising the 3D (rendering and converting the CGI, not really native 3D) and Tim Webber the top boss in the special effects department. Sandra Bullock and the special effects carries the film which definitely has to be seen in 3D to have the full entertaining experience. A must see if you like Space films !

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I'm beside myself with anticipation for this one.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

When I first saw the four stars, I literally said, "Oh SHIT!"

Was DEFINITELY NOT expecting that. Can't wait to see it now! Must find a guy willing to hold hands with for 90 minutes. Hopefully it won't be too intense, because a guy I was on a date with asked if I had a mental illness after I got scared in "Insidious." And he harassed me for 2 months after he paid for the snacks while I was in the bathroom (despite me telling him to wait).

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
Was DEFINITELY NOT expecting that.

Well, some of us did ;-) (see Competitions). I might go see it - the positive buzz is certainly extreme. Still think the trailer is lame though.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:59 am
Assistant Director

nitrium wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Well, some of us did ;-) (see Competitions). I might go see it - the positive buzz is certainly extreme. Still think the trailer is lame though.

Maybe that's why it was such a shock.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:52 am
Profile WWW
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
nitrium wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Maybe that's why it was such a shock.

The trailer reveals very little. This is one of those movies you have to experience in its entireity to form a complete opinion. It relies so much on Cuaron's directorial flourishes to put you there with the characters, with or without the 3-D. A few short clips can't do it justice.

Also, oh Rotten Tomatoes.... of all the blurbs you could've created from JB's review, you chose the first word: "Wow."

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:51 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
Also, oh Rotten Tomatoes.... of all the blurbs you could've created from JB's review, you chose the first word: "Wow."

To be fair, they did quote the entire first paragraph. ;)

I could not be more excited for this movie. Children of Men is easily my favorite movie of the last decade, so I've obviously been looking forward to Gravity for a while. I was trying to keep my excitement and expectations in check. James, your review is not helping.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Gaffer

A piece of debris flies at the camera, showing off just how 3D works. Please tell me it gets better than that at least? Considering I prefer Avatar in 2D BluRay and it was meant to be THE 3D movie (James Cameron said).

Put it this way; if someone made the best Soccer movie of all time... it would still be a Soccer movie. Gravity sounds good based on it's premise, not because it's the best example of a technical gimmick that I dislike anyway.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:41 pm
Producer

As thrilling as many of the action set pieces are, the best scenes in the movie are the opening, where the camera just floats around with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, almost making you feel like you are in space with them with earth in the background or the vast blackness of space. And the scenes with Sandra Bullock in the space stations where she is floating around from room to another. THOSE scenes are truly breathtaking.

A great survival story with an amazing performance by Bullock (Clooney also manages to make the most of his limited screen time and leaves a lasting impact), truly astonishing visual effects and cinematography and yet, it's not quite the 4 star masterpiece I was hoping for. I'd give it 3.5 stars instead. I still loved it though. It's still one of the best movies of the year.

As far as the 3D is concerned, it's fantastic, especially in the scenes I mentioned above. But I would still rank Life of Pi ahead of it.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:09 pm
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
As thrilling as many of the action set pieces are, the best scenes in the movie are the opening, where the camera just floats around with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, almost making you feel like you are in space with them with earth in the background or the vast blackness of space. And the scenes with Sandra Bullock in the space stations where she is floating around from room to another. THOSE scenes are truly breathtaking.

A great survival story with an amazing performance by Bullock (Clooney also manages to make the most of his limited screen time and leaves a lasting impact), truly astonishing visual effects and cinematography and yet, it's not quite the 4 star masterpiece I was hoping for. I'd give it 3.5 stars instead. I still loved it though. It's still one of the best movies of the year.

As far as the 3D is concerned, it's fantastic, especially in the scenes I mentioned above. But I would still rank Life of Pi ahead of it.

Good micro-review. The tranquility you describe as the opening is what I treasure most as well. One question about the movie overall: is it realistic?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
One question about the movie overall: is it realistic?

I certainly don't know, and I don't know that anyone here does. It seems realistic enough in the way that movies and documentaries have taught us about space, which is enough for this film.

Partially because I just don't think it's really a film in the way we think of narrative cinema. If I'd seen it right after the first reviews came out I would have been massively disappointed, but many, many critics and viewers have been calling it an experience, some are calling it great, and very few are calling it a film of ideas or substance beyond the technical. Even Berardinelli, who liked it more than I did, was quite clear that his star rating was based on a theatrical 3D experience. Which indeed is all it's supposed to be. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, although you can start to argue the artistic integrity of selling such a film as a non-3D or non-theatrical experience.

As envisioned and executed? It's entertaining, certainly, but never quite exhilarating, because the stakes are just not that high partially because of the whole conceit of it: it looks good and is neat in 3D, but never feels like a real movie, to me, but more like an IMAX experience with a light plot. The first long take (whether it's real or not) is massively impressive. I didn't hate the emotional moments even if I didn't quite buy them. I think the 3D actually helped because it constantly clued you in to the fact that it's an experience, not really a film in any traditional way. Kindof impossible to rate in relation to any film of substance. It's worth the experience and it's a master-class performance from Emmanuel Lubezki.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:23 pm
Director

Ok, I'm convinced. I'll check this out in 3D, even though I usually avoid 3D movies like the plague.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:15 pm
Gaffer

Mr. Berardinelli,
How would you compare this film to BEFORE MIDNIGHT, or any of your other recenf four-star films? Does GRAVITY have a shot at the Top 100?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:43 pm
Director

I feel every minute of the movie's 90. That's meant as a high compliment, because you're right there with Bullock the whole time she's struggling to survive, and feel every panic and blow she's suffered. It may pushed its sentimentality a little too hard sometimes, but with performances this good I don't really mind. While I don't know if I agree with all the superlative adjectives it's been receiving (have to see it at least once more to determine that), there's one I absolutely agree with: total immersion. On IMAX3D, it's breathtaking and unlike anything else I've seen on screen. The last scene is so, so simple, and yet it still brought a tear to my eyes.

Also, although he didn't cover all the reality bases, here's astronaut Buzz Aldrin's opinions on it.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:34 am