Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:09 am

Jack Ass deserves more credit than it gets. 
Second Unit Director

Post Jack Ass deserves more credit than it gets.
I was watching Jack 2 the other night.
I came to conclusion that although it is no masterpiece, at no point was I bored out of my mind.
In fact there were a few instances where i was laughing out loud.
When I wasn't laughing I was still curious about what was happening.
Most importantly, At all times I was at least entertained.
I would certainly rate these films far higher than that new "one Direction " tripe that is being released over her. I don't think America will have to look at it.

What do you think?????

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:54 am
Producer

Post Re: Jack Ass deserves more credit than it gets.
Confused. One Direction's been released in America as well as Jackass 2.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:30 am
Auteur

Not a JackAss fan at all(that upcoming Bad Grandpa film looks like a strong contender for worst film of 2013)I hated the films, I found them unfunny and excruciating to watch, wouldn't watch that One Direction film either though, but if I had to choose between it and the JackAss films, i'd choose the former.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:31 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

It ain't for me. No sir. I saw the fist one in cinemas with friends. I just felt confused. I don't really like watching people hurt themselves like that. And I feel especially bad for the people that don't want to be caught up in their antics.

It's certainly creative in it's own way, but I don't enjoy watching it.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:26 pm
Auteur

AJR wrote:
It ain't for me. No sir. I saw the fist one in cinemas with friends. I just felt confused. I don't really like watching people hurt themselves like that. And I feel especially bad for the people that don't want to be caught up in their antics.

It's certainly creative in it's own way, but I don't enjoy watching it.

Agreed, I neverstood the appeal of watching a bunch of drunken idiots doing stupid and dangerous stunts, some parts in particular are cringe-inducing(all vehicle related stunts with Ryan Dunne after he died in a car crash). Though I have enjoyed Knoxville in his non-Jackass acting roles like Grand Theft Parsons, Walking Tall and The Last Stand.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:59 pm
Producer

Jackass is hysterical in general and I liked the third movie enough to put it in my end-of-the-year top 10 a few years ago.

As for whether or not it's a masterpiece... who cares? It's not even remotely the same kind of movie as those that are traditionally considered masterpieces, so there's no point to the comparison. My dog's not a very good hot tar roofer.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:20 pm
Director

Their antics are suited more to youtube clips. Watching an entire movie of these is too much wince comedy for me to enjoy.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:49 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
Their antics are suited more to youtube clips. Watching an entire movie of these is too much wince comedy for me to enjoy.

Agreed, as a web show it would be fine, as a series of films it just does not work at all.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:26 pm
Director

Jackass is moronic. But of course it is supposed to be. I have always thought there is a perverse mastery in their antics; it is stupidity taken to the greatest depths, depths so great it becomes an art form despite itself. It does, after all, take a certain amount of imagination to be that immature.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:04 pm
Producer

peng wrote:

I disagree with this, though there are other shows I'd say this about. Jackass, oddly enough, tends to have more of a narrative through-line than many shows, some of which really should be reduced down to YouTube length (cough Family Guy cough). Their propensity for brick jokes, callbacks, and dramatic escalation more than justifies their half-hour shows and even their feature length movies.

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Jackass is moronic. But of course it is supposed to be. I have always thought there is a perverse mastery in their antics; it is stupidity taken to the greatest depths, depths so great it becomes an art form despite itself. It does, after all, take a certain amount of imagination to be that immature.

There are a lot of things you can say about them, but I never found them particularly stupid. Foolhardy about their physical health, maybe, but they're also very creative in their setups and, dare I say, even a little bit sophisticated in the construction of each setpiece. What separates Jackass from cellphone clips of people hurting themselves on skateboards is that they bring an actual design sensibility to what they do. They have the brains of art majors in the bodies of dudebros and stuntmen. Rather than one undermining the other, the combination of those two things actually enhances the comedy.

The overcrank sequence with the flying dildo, for example, wouldn't be a tenth as funny had it not been shot straight on with rigid left-to-right continuity and carefully abstracted backgrounds. It's how Godard would shoot a flying dildo.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:11 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
peng wrote:

I disagree with this, though there are other shows I'd say this about. Jackass, oddly enough, tends to have more of a narrative through-line than many shows, some of which really should be reduced down to YouTube length (cough Family Guy cough). Their propensity for brick jokes, callbacks, and dramatic escalation more than justifies their half-hour shows and even their feature length movies.

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

There are a lot of things you can say about them, but I never found them particularly stupid. Foolhardy about their physical health, maybe, but they're also very creative in their setups and, dare I say, even a little bit sophisticated in the construction of each setpiece. What separates Jackass from cellphone clips of people hurting themselves on skateboards is that they bring an actual design sensibility to what they do. They have the brains of art majors in the bodies of dudebros and stuntmen. Rather than one undermining the other, the combination of those two things actually enhances the comedy.

The overcrank sequence with the flying dildo, for example, wouldn't be a tenth as funny had it not been shot straight on with rigid left-to-right continuity and carefully abstracted backgrounds. It's how Godard would shoot a flying dildo.

Not to mention that after a series and three movies you get a better sense of friendship and comradarie from this crew then some television series and movie are able to manage at all. I actually liked their special where they did the Gumball 3000 across Europe the best.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:30 pm
Second Unit Director

hello everyone,
I've just seen the trailer for jackass presents bad grandpa.
It is very funny. I had tears laughing at it and I am not ashamed to admit it.
I would recommend you have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MSrAwfagG4

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:00 pm
Auteur

I think that film looks absolutely horrible, I cringed at how painfully unfunny the trailer was(especially the stripdance, which just made me want to retch in disgust)looks like a strong contender for worst film of 2013.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:10 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I think that film looks absolutely horrible, I cringed at how painfully unfunny the trailer was(especially the stripdance, which just made me want to retch in disgust)looks like a strong contender for worst film of 2013.

sorry vexer, i could not disagree with you more. i loved the bit where he was throwing the money on the stage. this could be a variation of the boras movies

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:43 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

i also love the bit where after he knocks down the wedding stuff, and the kids starts eating the cake.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:46 pm
Auteur

p604 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

sorry vexer, i could not disagree with you more. i loved the bit where he was throwing the money on the stage. this could be a variation of the boras movies

Well I didn't fall in love with those films like most people did, they had their funny moments but for me they were overrated by critics, so that explains why the complete opposite reaction to the trailer that you did.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:00 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
p604 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well I didn't fall in love with those films like most people did, they had their funny moments but for me they were overrated by critics, so that explains why the complete opposite reaction to the trailer that you did.

But Vexer....Jackass wasn't critically acclaimed, like at all....ever. You can't really use that as an explanation this time

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:59 pm
Auteur

But Patrick..... I was refering to Borat and Bruno, not the JackAss films.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:24 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

you were? Didn't catch that, in fact I still don't catch it after reading this thread.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:12 pm
Auteur

patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:

you were? Didn't catch that, in fact I still don't catch it after reading this thread.

Quote:
this could be a variation of the Borat movies

That's what I was refering to.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:31 pm