Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:28 am

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 
Producer

Post The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Inspired by a number of comments I've read about this recently, I managed to revisit this via an old VHS recording I had knocking around the house - and goodness me, what a film.

I think you probably have to be a certain age to grasp both the humour and tragedy in this film. In one sense, it has a real Shakespearean tragi-comic element about it; but in another sense, it has elements that seem almost decades ahead of its time. Much of the picture has a kind of sly, wink-wink, sarcasm about it, but interspersed with profound moments of sadness and observations on the damage time-and-tide inflicts on people.

This process, or damaging, is summed up instantly in the tragi-comic nature of Candy’s aged appearance in the Turkish bath, especially when contrasted with handsome dasher of his youth.
It’s almost unbelievable how well this flick taps into regret; the impact of time and decisions; and factors beyond our control (obviously Wars and their implied duty in this film).

In a way, this is the second film I’ve watched in the past 2 weeks on what you might call existence. The first – The Tree of Life – champions self-pity a little too much for my liking. But Blimp is a different animal, and can be summed up by one sentence – The stiff upper lip.

What a film!

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:43 am
Critic

Post Re: The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
I liked this too. The limitations of studio filmmaking are sometimes on display, but it's a good film, and I'll take it over The Red Shoes.

A Matter of Life and Death, however, remains supreme for Powell/Pressberger

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:28 pm
Cinematographer

Heh, I literally just ordered a copy of this from Criterion about 5 minutes ago (they're having a 50% off flash sale today).

It's a wonderful film, probably neck and neck with A Matter Of Life And Death for my favorite Powell/Pressberger.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I liked this too. The limitations of studio filmmaking are sometimes on display, but it's a good film, and I'll take it over The Red Shoes.

A Matter of Life and Death, however, remains supreme for Powell/Pressberger

Blimp is better than Red Shoes for sure. Black Narcissus is the best I've seen from them. Still have to see Life and Death.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:53 pm
Producer

When I see films as good as this made all the way back in 1943, it really makes me wonder how we "evolved" into Pearl Harbour by the time 2001 came around.

I mean, how on the f*cking ball were Powell and Pressburger to make a film so funny, poignant and tragic all at once. I really feel for Wynne-Candy in this film. He's so ridiculous, but so human at the same time. He's just a guy whose world-view has rendered him obsolete. A man for whom the perception of him masks who he really is.

In a way, he's like a version of Stevens the Butler in Remains of the Day, but with a significant injection of humour thrown in - and rather than trivialising his plight, this said humour actually makes it more human, and more painful to see his sinking into lonely oblivion.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:25 am
Director

He should have gotten the girl poor guy. Very sad movie really

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:00 am
Director

As far as Powell & Pressburger go, it's tied at #3 for me along with "The Red Shoes." "Black Narcissus" and "A Matter of Life and Death" are my two respective favorites of theirs.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 am
Critic

So I'm guessing I need to see Black Narcissus?

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:30 pm