Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Gravity (2013) 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Gravity (2013)
James Cameron said it is the best space movie he has ever seen.

http://www.slashfilm.com/james-camerons-high-praise-for-gravity-its-the-best-space-film-ever/#more-192834

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:40 pm
Director

Just watched the trailer, and it looks bad to me. I seriously doubt an astronaut would panic like that - most are ex-military fighter pilots, and ALL are HIGHLY disciplined. "What do I do?" REALLY? Sandra Bullock is all wrong for this role. It frankly looks terrible, and I LOVE this type of thing (I count amongst my favourite movies Europa Report and Moon). I hope I'm wrong of course.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:04 am
Director

Quote:
I know what the medium is. That's not a matter of opinion. And I know exactly how it can be pushed, and how Cuaron has pushed it. You may disagree with the value of how he pushes it, but you are incorrect if you believe he doesn't push it. You believe Crank 2 and RE5 push the medium, which is a fine opinion that you have occasionally articulated clearly.

But this thread isn't about them, so go make a thread about them if you'd like to. You're not excited about this film, which is more than fine, but I'm interested as to why: what specifically makes you think this will be a poor film?

Well, a couple reasons, thanks for asking.

I've read negative things. Despite the 100% on RT, there have in fact been negative reviews posted. Just not on that site. And the things I've read confirm the impression I got from the trailer. Impressions such as:

Quote:
I seriously doubt an astronaut would panic like that - most are ex-military fighter pilots, and ALL are HIGHLY disciplined. "What do I do?" REALLY?

Exactly. Cuaron has respect for the medium, but he forgot to have respect for basic, realistic, professionalism. Too bad. For the record, I really like Duncan Jones' Moon a lot. It had a plot and a concept.

Quote:
James Cameron said it is the best space movie he has ever seen.

That guy who made Avatar?

Quote:
I know what the medium is. That's not a matter of opinion. And I know exactly how it can be pushed, and how Cuaron has pushed it. You may disagree with the value of how he pushes it, but you are incorrect if you believe he doesn't push it. You believe Crank 2 and RE5 push the medium, which is a fine opinion that you have occasionally articulated clearly.

No, you don't know any of those things. But I'm curious as to your opinion of how he pushes it? You guys don't like to back up your opinions with hard facts, but I really want to know just this once. Because I don't think he pushes it at all.

Quote:
But this thread isn't about them, so go make a thread about them if you'd like to.

I did that already about a year ago, remember? You didn't respond to that though. You only respond when it seems like an opportunity for an argument. Why not respond when I have something positive to say, which is actually quite often?

Quote:
I read this the first time and almost forgot you haven't seen it, but your final review (if you ever see it) will probably be this too.

I know what yours will be too, peng:

Quote:
Reaction: WOW! Most intense by far yet. My interest has been increasing, and with this I'm probably there opening day.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:16 am
Director

Can I see where I've said anything about the quality of the actual film, or have talked about the film as if I've seen the it already? Because it's just pure talk about the trailer and my anticipation. The only descriptive word, "intense", is to describe the trailer which I've thought they edited better and better with each one released. And for the record, I had that reaction to Man of Steel trailers too, you know (and then I saw the movie).

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
I did that already about a year ago, remember? You didn't respond to that though. You only respond when it seems like an opportunity for an argument. Why not respond when I have something positive to say, which is actually quite often?

Why not keep things from being personal, man? This isn't about you-and-me and how much you think I'm full of shit. I don't recall that thread, but I wouldn't have responded, most likely, because the topic of those films don't interest me. You feel the need to pop in to degrade the opinions of those in this thread and tell us what we know and don't know. I just think that's silly.

Sincerely, dude: I would love to really engage you on this, but to do so it has to stay on topic. So:

MGamesCook wrote:
I've read negative things. Despite the 100% on RT, there have in fact been negative reviews posted. Just not on that site. And the things I've read confirm the impression I got from the trailer. Impressions such as:

Quote:
I seriously doubt an astronaut would panic like that - most are ex-military fighter pilots, and ALL are HIGHLY disciplined. "What do I do?" REALLY?

Exactly. Cuaron has respect for the medium, but he forgot to have respect for basic, realistic, professionalism. Too bad.

I felt the same way watching the trailer, actually. But do I believe that professionals sometimes crack under high stress? Of course. So to me it's not a dealbreaker on the surface -- perhaps I'll change my mind once I've seen the film. To say he doesn't have "respect" for something is a bit much, though. How precisely is that true? Is Act of Valor the only respectful war film because it acts like soldiers are super-humans who never waver or have emotions? I just don't get where you're coming from here.

MGamesCook wrote:
You guys don't like to back up your opinions with hard facts, but I really want to know just this once. Because I don't think he pushes it at all.

Oh please, man. First of all, there's no ubiquitous "you guys" around here, so I don't know who the hell you're talking about. Secondly, I could point to hundreds and hundreds of times where I've backed up my opinion with thoughtful reasoning and ideas and clarity.

Regarding Cuaron: it gets fishy talking about "facts," but it is undeniable that he has pushed the boundaries in terms of heavily-scaled, complex, lengthy tracking shots that service and enhance the story. You are welcome to not care about that, but you not caring about it doesn't mean he's not doing it.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:13 am
Director

peng wrote:
Can I see where I've said anything about the quality of the actual film, or have talked about the film as if I've seen the it already? Because it's just pure talk about the trailer and my anticipation. The only descriptive word, "intense", is to describe the trailer which I've thought they edited better and better with each one released. And for the record, I had that reaction to Man of Steel trailers too, you know (and then I saw the movie).

I'm responding to the trailer too. The trailer makes it look like Open Water in space. We're both responding to the same thing, although I'm also responding to the pre-release hype a little bit as well. I don't know, maybe I'll end up liking Gravity after all.

Quote:
I felt the same way watching the trailer, actually. But do I believe that professionals sometimes crack under high stress? Of course. So to me it's not a dealbreaker on the surface -- perhaps I'll change my mind once I've seen the film. To say he doesn't have "respect" for something is a bit much, though. How precisely is that true? Is Act of Valor the only respectful war film because it acts like soldiers are super-humans who never waver or have emotions? I just don't get where you're coming from here.

I'm not saying he doesn't respect astronauts, I just wonder if Bullock's reaction is a little manipulative. Because let's say her reaction is colder at first. Then what you get is a sort of objective existential observance of astronauts in peril. As of now, it seems like Bullock's reaction is designed to elevate a viewer's sensation of fear. That's part of what makes it seem too much like Open Water or Buried instead of being completely its own thing. Another thing that bugs me about her immediate reaction is that in the back of my mind I can't help comparing it to Touching the Void, where the main climber in peril takes quite a while to cry out in despair, and even then he gets himself together eventually. In fairness, I suppose once you're lost in space there's not much you can do for yourself until help arrives.

Quote:
it is undeniable that he has pushed the boundaries in terms of heavily-scaled, complex, lengthy tracking shots that service and enhance the story.

I don't think he's pushed it beyond it's true limits (Russian Ark guaranteed that to be impossible, not to mention Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr). The long takes in Prisoner of Azkaban were definitely a breath of fresh air, but I didn't really like Children of Men. It didn't feel really new because many of the sequences felt very Saving Private Ryan-ish to me.

Gravity seems like the first attempt at what it is since Mission to Mars. I've been waiting for that comparison to come up. I know, I know, people hated that movie, but the similarities seem difficult to ignore. Cuaron's camera looks even more fluid than De Palma's, and the space film is the perfect genre to do that sort of thing. I'd love for it to be good, because I always want to love a space movie. Still, the more you love a genre, the more you have to pick its best examples very carefully. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Sorry if I was a bit out of line, but I'll keep the discussion strictly to Gravity from now on.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:59 am
Second Unit Director

First of all, staring into the vastness of SPACE is nothing like being in an ocean or trapped in a box.

Second of all, why the fuck did one bring the reality of an astronaut panicking into this conversation? A trained astronaut can't panic? Well even though I say anyone can break down, Sandra Bullock's character is not even an astronaut. Her character is a medical doctor on her FIRST space shuttle mission when shit hits the fan. If I'm a medical doctor, and I get selected to to some research in space; I don't care how much training I went through. If I'm on my first mission in an environment I've never experience before and shit goes wrong and I start drifting through space, I'm gonna scream and cry like a little girl, even though I'm a total Bro.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:18 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
First of all, staring into the vastness of SPACE is nothing like being in an ocean or trapped in a box.

Second of all, why the fuck did one bring the reality of an astronaut panicking into this conversation? A trained astronaut can't panic? Well even though I say anyone can break down, Sandra Bullock's character is not even an astronaut. Her character is a medical doctor on her FIRST space shuttle mission when shit hits the fan. If I'm a medical doctor, and I get selected to to some research in space; I don't care how much training I went through. If I'm on my first mission in an environment I've never experience before and shit goes wrong and I start drifting through space, I'm gonna scream and cry like a little girl, even though I'm a total Bro.

I agree, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw someone complain about the reality of people panicking in such situations. Also, just to nitpick a little, she is an astronaut, just an inexperienced one on her first spacewalk.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:

Okay, didn't know that at first, that does indeed change the whole perspective on her reaction. Staring into the vastness of space is indeed different from those other things, but only if the filmmakers allow it to be different. But it looks like Cuaron's craft will get the job done. I'll try and remain optimistic about this one.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:21 pm
Director

Hey everyone, I saw an advance screening of this tonight. Holy crap. What a ride. It's the second four-star movie I've seen this year (the first being Fruitvale Station), and it's unlike anything you've ever experienced. AND it demands to be seen in 3D, which is as immersive as it was in Avatar.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:09 pm
Director

KWRoss wrote:
Hey everyone, I saw an advance screening of this tonight. Holy crap. What a ride. It's the second four-star movie I've seen this year (the first being Fruitvale Station), and it's unlike anything you've ever experienced. AND it demands to be seen in 3D, which is as immersive as it was in Avatar.

imdb has it currently at 8/10 (which is low for a relatively new release, and I expect it to go down from there), but the metascore is 96. So will this be 4 stars from James ;-) ?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:57 pm
Director

My dad gets us 3D IMAX tickets for Sunday. Can't wait!

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:05 pm
Director

Quote:
it's unlike anything you've ever experienced.

Can you tone it down just a little bit? If you thought it was a good movie, I'll respect your opinion if you promote it as a good movie and not as Christ's latest resurrection.

It depresses me to realize that Cameron promoted Gravity as the "best space movie ever done" because of the 3D. Did 2001: A Space Odyssey fall down on his list because it was in 2D? 2001 isn't my favorite movie, but it's an undeniably cerebral experience, not just sensory. Also, here we go again with the "it's only good in 3D" mantra. So much for the thread titled "3D is Dying. Thank God." That was a good thread. I miss it already :(

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:21 am
Auteur

I honestly can't bring myself to muster much interest in this film, the trailers don't make it look particularly exciting or compelling, i'm not convinced that it's worth paying to see in a theater, let alone worth paying the extra surcharge.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:24 am
Second Unit Director

Well, James tweeted that in the next 8 days, he has a 3.5 and a 4 star review for us. I am predicting that Gravity is the 4 star and Captain Phillips is the 3.5 star.

Even vice versa, I can't wait to see Gravity.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:38 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
it's unlike anything you've ever experienced.

Can you tone it down just a little bit? If you thought it was a good movie, I'll respect your opinion if you promote it as a good movie and not as Christ's latest resurrection.

It depresses me to realize that Cameron promoted Gravity as the "best space movie ever done" because of the 3D. Did 2001: A Space Odyssey fall down on his list because it was in 2D? 2001 isn't my favorite movie, but it's an undeniably cerebral experience, not just sensory. Also, here we go again with the "it's only good in 3D" mantra. So much for the thread titled "3D is Dying. Thank God." That was a good thread. I miss it already :(

Nope. It's how I feel. Once again (see also our discussion about Christopher Nolan's Batman saga), you mad bro? Perhaps I should've said "it's unlike anything you've experienced in a movie theater," but I assumed most people understood what I meant. Where did the Christ stuff come from? :roll:

Also, yeah.... if you could please see the movie before you judge it..... that'd be great..... 8-)

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:17 pm
Director

Quote:
Nope. It's how I feel. Once again (see also our discussion about Christopher Nolan's Batman saga), you mad bro?

It's how you feel? You're just regurgitating what's been said by 70 critics already. Copying and pasting their exact words, almost. And you know what, I DON'T have to see the movie before I start posting stuff about it. We've all seen the trailer, and that's more than enough. So unless you want to mail me $25 (the cost of IMAX 3D in LA, plus parking), I'll continue to post about my impression just from the trailers and pay to see the movie if I personally feel like it.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:40 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Nope. It's how I feel. Once again (see also our discussion about Christopher Nolan's Batman saga), you mad bro?

It's how you feel? You're just regurgitating what's been said by 70 critics already. Copying and pasting their exact words, almost. And you know what, I DON'T have to see the movie before I start posting stuff about it. We've all seen the trailer, and that's more than enough. So unless you want to mail me $25 (the cost of IMAX 3D in LA, plus parking), I'll continue to post about my impression just from the trailers and pay to see the movie if I personally feel like it.

Right, I forgot about that. If you agree with a majority of critics, you're not actually forming your own opinion. You are only if you embrace a contrarian stance. Silly me.

Also, $25!? Damn, no wonder you're mad.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:54 pm
Director

Quote:
Right, I forgot about that. If you agree with a majority of critics, you're not actually forming your own opinion. You are only if you embrace a contrarian stance. Silly me.

Also, $25!? Damn, no wonder you're mad.

I'm not exaggerating about the price. A 2D Los Angeles movie ticket at multiplex theaters is $15, IMAX 3D is $21, transportation will bring it up to about $25. I try not to buy snacks, but if I did get a popcorn and soda, that's $33. That's for one viewing of a 90 minute movie for which I would have to dish out another $25 if I liked it enough to buy the bluray. With a student ID, I paid 8 bucks to see the 90 minute Bullet to the Head this year. With $33 I could have seen Man of Steel almost 4 times.

If you agree with a majority of critics, you're not actually forming your own opinion. You are only if you embrace a contrarian stance. Silly me.

Actually, you know, I didn't say that. What I said was:

Quote:
You're just regurgitating what's been said by 70 critics already. Copying and pasting their exact words, almost.

I'm not accusing you of agreeing with them, I'm accusing you of plagiarizing their exact words without having anything to say on your own. Such as:

Quote:
It may be the most thrilling, transporting and unbearably stressful 90 minutes in the theater you've ever experienced.

- Jeff Meyers, Orlando Weekly.

Quote:
Gravity is a spell bounding groundbreaker that transforms the movie going experience.

- Joanna Langfield, Movie Minute.

Quote:
This isn’t just a film. This is a wondrous, heart-stopping experience.
And it must be said upfront: This experience needs to be taken in on the biggest, IMAX-iest screen possible.

- Mara Reinstein

Quote:
Review And Box Office Outlook: 'Gravity' Is The Movie Experience Of The Year

- Forbes

If you love the movie, why not come up with something to say that hasn't been said yet? Something that isn't lifted just from the biggest headlines?

Last edited by MGamesCook on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:09 pm
Producer

If a movie really, truly is unlike anything you have ever seen before, then there is nothing wrong with stating, regardless if it's a quote from some film critic.

I guess that means the movie, or any movie, for that matter, can be described as thrilling, exhilarating, awesome, breathtaking, etc.

What positive (or negative) words are left to use then?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:13 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next