Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Breaking Bad 
Director

Post Re: Breaking Bad

Beautiful. The price ($225 on Amazon) is insane though.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:13 am
Director

The show's most impressive episode since "One Minute", for me. Maybe even surpassing it. Just dark and full of consequences all around. I feel awful and upset, but also in awe of what where it goes.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:26 am
Producer

I'm generally more of a Mad Men person, but Hamm and Co. are going to have to do reeeaaal good to surpass what's currently happening on Breaking Bad.

On a lighter note, did you notice the pants?

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:41 am
Director

Haha yes. I guess that's another purpose of the cold opening, asides from compare and contrast.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:50 am
Second Unit Director

Mad Men and Breaking Bad are obviously vastly different, but at this point I think BrBa's greatest case for itself is that to me the first season is immeasurably better than Mad Men's.

I've seen some hate toward Jesse around the internets tonight, some who were eager to see Jesse die. I honestly don't think Jesse is any more stupid, short-sighted or unstable than Walt is. Walt attempts the dumbest ploy in the world by telling the Uncle's crew about the money. Walt doesn't realize Uncle Jack is still going to show up even though he "called them off." Jesse has endured way more than Walt has, and the obvious irony is that Walt is much, much more cowardly than Jesse has ever been: his anger toward Jesse (and later toward his family) is expressed toward them only because he can't do it toward Uncle Jack (he actually blames Jesse for Hank's death and not himself at all).

The popular theory is that the flash-forward is Walt coming to save Jesse, and I hope that's true. And I hope that after he saves him, Jesse thanks him and kills him. He won't, but I'd still be on Jesse's side if he does.

The show is carefully orchestrated to keep Walt at least semi-appealing as a villain, so naturally at the apex of his unlikability (kidnapping Holly) they turn it around and he does the semi-good thing of trying to absolve Skyler (in the eyes of the law and of Flynn & Marie), but he only has to do that for his own mistakes. I don't find a shred of him likable, but I do find him believable, so that's fine.

Regardless... that's the best episode the show has ever done, to me, even though it is much tougher to watch than One Minute, Half/Full Measures, or even last week's episode. This was never thrilling, just dark dark dark. Props to them for not backing down.

Walt Jr is the only one in his family who doesn't hesitate to do the right thing... that scene in the house was insane and RJ Mitte rocked his performance tonight. So well done.

Two awesome parallels to The Wire tonight! The second (Skyler's "where's Hank?"/D'Angelo's "where the fuck is Wallace?") was spectacular. The first, with Hank welcoming his fate echoing Stringer's death, was even better. He was a good man who died with dignity and integrity intact.

Just unbelievably good.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:09 am
Director

I forgot to mention one thing. I know that some people who dislike Skyler has legitimate, character-based reasons to feel so. It's just that that more than half, who are also the most vocal, seem to dislike her out of misogyny and the strange identification with Walt even after his morals keep getting more unredeemable. So it's very gratifying to see these same attitudes reflecting out of Walt's mouth in the phone call scene, in the moment where people will identify with him the least, and the words feel as hateful and unappealing as they should be (even though his intention is the other way).

I also feel for Marie and her relationship with Skyler after this episode so much.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:57 am
Director

Man, I hate being wrong about Hank. I was one of the few who thought Hank would actually survive. So much for that theory. That was a great scene but very sad. :(

I wasn't a fan of the last episode Rian Johnson directed, but yeah, needless to say, this episode was a WHOLE lot better. No complaints here. This episode was pretty much perfect. Maybe the single best episode of the entire series!

It's amazing how quickly my perspective of a character can change, particularly of Walt. When Walt gave Jesse up at the beginning and had his fight with Skylar and then took Hollie away, I went back to hating Walt. But then came that phone call and suddenly, my loyalties went back to Walt. Really, the writing on this show is so brilliant. How wonderfully complex the characters are, especially Walt. Cranston truly is brilliant. What a performance!

Only 2 episodes left, but how they are gonna get to everything in those 2 episodes? He has to grow hair (unless that was a wig he was wearing?), get a machine gun from Jim Beaver, come back to Albuquerque, go to his now abandoned house to get the ricin. All of this has to happen and then lead to something else big and all within 2 just episodes.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:07 am
Producer

peng wrote:
I forgot to mention one thing. I know that some people who dislike Skyler has legitimate, character-based reasons to feel so. It's just that that more than half, who are also the most vocal, seem to dislike her out of misogyny and the strange identification with Walt even after his morals keep getting more unredeemable. So it's very gratifying to see these same attitudes reflecting out of Walt's mouth in the phone call scene, in the moment where people will identify with him the least, and the words feel as hateful and unappealing as they should be (even though his intention is the other way).

I have to wonder how different fan reaction would be if instead of a wife, Walt had a brother who served a similar purpose in the drama to Skyler. How different the fans' expectations of and reactions to such a character would be, purely based on a difference in traditional gender norms.

Well, I don't... because I'm pretty sure I know.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:28 am
Producer

Rewatched the latest ep tonight. Even though I knew what was coming, I still had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. This is filmmaking par excellence.

-

Also, I just read that the opening scene of this ep was the last day of shooting for the whole series. Now go back and watch it as Walt, Jesse and the RV fade out of the shot, leaving the landscape empty of any trace of their existence, and try not to shed a tear.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:39 am
Director

I rewatched it last night too, and maybe the first time I was still in shocked from what happened on screen, but this time I did get more emotional.

I assume you mean the vulture interview? http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/rian-johnson-moira-walley-beckett-breaking-bad-ozymandius-interview.html The thing that struck me in that interview is how baby Holly's "mama" was ad-lib. :lol: At first they were going to go with just Walt silently realized his mistake before returning the baby. But then the baby saw her mother off-stage and went all "mama", and we got one of the most emotional scenes of the episode, which also showed how great Cranston can go with improvisation.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:38 am
Producer

Ken -

Quote:
So then I started figuring that maybe Walt had been Heisenberg all along. My pet theory was that the real Walter White is the guy from the flashbacks during season one: a voracious student of chemistry, flush with insight and dynamic energy, behaving as though the world was at his fingertips. That's the real Walter White. At some point, he wrapped himself in a chrysalis--the self-protective shell of a meek schoolteacher and family man. With this new risk-free schoolteacher/family man persona, Walt isolated himself against whatever might have harmed him in his former life as a brilliant chemist. The schoolteacher is not his identity. It's merely a self-preservation strategy--a chrysalis, allowing him to sleep undisturbed while the big, scary world rages around him.

Yes, yes and yes again. I've just watched episode 14 of series 5, and at the beginning it shows a flashback to the early Walt and Jesse.

It damn near struck me down how meek, weak and neurotic Walt's mannerisms were back then. You can see in his body language the procrastination, and the cowardly compromise that blights his life at that point.

Yes, his ID as teacher, Father and all-round nice guy is a protective layer - but it's also one that in its own way is killing him.

Breaking Bad is incredible, so much so that I almost want the writers to tell us where exactly Walt should have stopped, in order to at once gain some self-respect, but not go all the way to Heisenberg.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:12 am
Producer

Quote:
Todd, like a few characters on this show, used to be so shitty. I'm glad they found a way to build his characterization, even if he's interesting in a cerebral way rather than on a more emotional level. He seems like such a contradiction--an eager-to-please manchild who's as amoral and brutal as can be. But it works.

Todd is what Jesse would be like if Mike was his mentor and not Walt.

He's naive in the Jesse like way, but also very calm and capable. Almost warm and reassuring, even to those he clearly means harm to.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:26 am
Director

F*ck you Todd, I was finding you with Lydia hilarious too, almost like a rom-com situation turned creepy. Jesse's stuffed scream was agonizing. :cry:

The last scene, right down to the last shot... perfect for setting up the finale. Loved it.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:04 am
Director

Just read that originally Gilligan wanted two seasons of 10 episodes (20 instead of 16). Now, I still loved the episode, but I think it illustrates best where the compromise occurs. The time jump and other stuff might have been less plot-constrained.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:58 am
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Todd is what Jesse would be like if Mike was his mentor and not Walt.

Gotta disagree with you there, man. Todd is emotionally affected in his decisions and tries to care about everyone (in his twisted, psychopathic way, but still). Mike would have instilled the opposite in him. It was Todd's idea to let Walt live/give him a barrel, not kill Jesse, etc. All of those are dumb choices that are not Mike-like, I believe.

NotHughGrant wrote:
He's naive in the Jesse like way, but also very calm and capable. Almost warm and reassuring, even to those he clearly means harm to.

Again, I think he's legitimately a psychopath. Very twisted ideas about right and wrong and about how people perceive him.

All in all, fantastic, fantastic penultimate episode. It's getting mixed reactions around the internet, which is to be expected, but I think it is playing fair: the fun is over. There's no happy ending coming for anyone.

One of the finest masterstrokes of the whole series is that these impulsive, ugly, un-suave villains are the ones taking everything (and everyone) down. Much credit to Gilligan and his crew for presenting the trade, as the show closes, in such a realistic and unattractive way, stripped of all the freshness and coolness and trippy cooks.

I'll lose some respect for the show, though, if Walt saves Jesse without explanation. His hatred for Jesse was legit and immense and they haven't done anything yet to show us how or why that reverted. Now, I think that they might do exactly that, by telling us that Jesse is the only real family Walt has left.

Many (not all, I know) want Jesse to get out of this alive, but I'm not seeing it anymore. With Andrea gone, I can't imagine a happy ending for him at all. He legitimately wants to be dead at this point, I think. I get that there are those who don't like him, but the tragedy of this kid, man! No one in the world cares where he is or if he's alive. If he's dying next week, can you imagine a more pitiful end? Walt is equally pitiful, but every element of his place in life now is directly linked to his own choices. For all the deaths he's directly caused (Krazy-8, Jane, the prisoners, Gus, Hank, etc), this final Scarface stand next week might be the most pathetic of all.

I don't know where this is going, but I have total trust in Gilligan. I'd bet everything that we're not getting Walt & Jesse riding off in the sunset together, in any sense, though.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:43 pm
Producer

Just watched 15 last night - hell fire!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The killing of Andrea really shocked me. I think Todd's dead-eyed, Matt Damon-like politness and superficial boyscout persona really provided for a shocking contrast with what happened. That was nasty!

The one thing Breaking Bad does better than anything I've ever seen is utilise Chekhov's Gun to the absolute latter. I mean, watching Walt watching the TV in the bar - seeing Grey Matter come back to bite him in a very direct way - was a masterstroke. How easy would it have been to simply have let that chapter in Walt's hstory slide? And now it is used has his motivation to have one last waltz. The forensic level of detail this programme utilises; with its painstaking adherence to logic and consequences, whilst at the same time remaining almost impossible to predict, make it the best show ever in my opinion. The Grey Matter thing is very interesting, because it cuts right into Walt's soul - his sense of failure, underachievement, regret at bad decisions made. He had reached the point after being told where to go by Walt Junior that he was now even willing to let Hank's death slide, and instead just hand himself in or die in the remote wilderness. But seeing Grey Matter up there ... that cut deep!!

And I f*cking hate Lydia. I mean, she's a good character, but what a cowardly, conniving, manipulative bitch! I hope she f*cking gets it!!!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:24 am
Producer

http://teamcoco.com/video/full-episode- ... de-sinaloa

^^^ Conan did an entire episode dedicated to Breaking Bad. He interviewed the cast members + Vince Gilligan, and Charles "Skinny Baker" Pete sat in with the band on keyboard. Well worth watching. Cranston may have completely overwritten his previous public persona with that of Walter White, but he's a gifted comedian himself.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the most recent episode, copy 'n' pasted from elsewhere:

[Reveal] Spoiler: S05E15

Haha, sorry. For real now.
[Reveal] Spoiler: S05E15, p2
First off: Robert Forster! I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen him in anything in a while and was thinking about looking him up to see what he's done lately, and here he is. I feel like I did this with my mind.

And, hell, we were just talking about Principal Carmen the other day, and here she is too. If only Jane were still around, even in flashback form, we'd have the full lineup of the lovely ladies of Breaking Bad.

The weird thing about Todd is, he's a scary shell of a human being, but he's also the least prideful of any of the people on the show. He's the only one who not only doesn't mind being used, but seems to thrive that way. He's the perfect criminal, because he'll never be undone by the failings that undid so many of the other criminals on the show.

Fucking Todd, creeping up with that ninja hand, picking a piece of lint off Lydia's back or whatever he was doing without her noticing. Fucking Todd, bringing Jesse ice cream--not quite a game of D&D, but I consider my prediction right in spirit. Fucking Todd, learning to drink tea for reasons that I want to deny in order to maintain sweet Lydia's honor, at least in my own mind. Fucking Todd, capping Andrea with about as much malice as a drive-thru cashier telling you they're out of pickles. Fucking Todd.

And you know what? A few days back, I said that the only time I ever felt contempt for Skyler was early on, when Walt was plainly up to something and she just refused to acknowledge it... just accepting everything with that dull, naive smile. That lasted just a couple episodes back in season 1. Now Andrea's taken up those traits at the worst time. When someone you've never met in your life shows up at your door, claims to know your shady drug dealer ex-boyfriend, and is obviously trying to lure you out of your house, why the fuck do you so much as take the chain off the door? Guh. Poor girl.

Walt's first trip out to that gate was pure delusion, and stopping in his tracks was the smartest thing he's done in a long time. It's interesting to gauge all his following actions in light of that. He's shown the capacity to sober up, put down the "Walter White can do anything" ball (or maybe the "Heisenberg can do anything" black hat), and admit to his own limitations. We find out later that his pride is still easily tweaked, so what do we make of this new, less delusional Walt who's still obviously every bit as angry as he's always been?

Gus was always right about him: Walt's not a careful man. But maybe he's a careful man now... insofar as a man can be careful when he's on a war path. I think this is finally Walt as he always was, no masks, gloves off: a brilliant but angry man who wanted nothing more than to strike out at a world that has denied him recognition for his incredible intellect. And no longer in denial about that fact. No illusions, no family or Jesse to serve as his morality pets, nowhere to go but up.

As long as I'm musing on Walt, is he the ultimate neocon douchebag? I don't know how much thought people have given to Walter White's politics thus far, but he has a Romneyesque propensity for clawing his way over other people to get what he wants and the audacity to believe, right up to the most absurd extreme, that he did all of it himself, for himself and his own. Not so much as the slightest consideration for the lives he's ruined in the process, even if he understands in some abstract way that those lives include the lives of the family members he's so concerned about protecting.

Now we know why the house is in the condition that it's in during the "52" timeline. It's not a big leap from tourist destination to meth head mecca.

Flynn may hate his dad's guts, but he's still traveling under the name White.

Big time congrats to Breaking Bad for the Outstanding Drama Emmy.

By the way, Gretchen and Elliot, does the point of this umbrella feel like ricin to you?

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:32 am
Producer

Todd and the rest of the neo-nazi, drug cartel are important, in that post-the Mexican crime family, they provide a contrast for Walt's own criminalty.

Sure Walt is now a hideous, evil bastard - but compared to these guys, he's a saint. Just like the Mexican crew, Jack's crew remind us there is another level of evil above Walt. The morality of Jack and his crew incorporates the worst of both base-level "tuco" type thugs; and well-resourced mafia-like influence and reach.

In the last episode, there was a scene where I was made to feel very naive. When they were all beer-ing it up whilst watching Jesse's tearful confession, Jack got real pissed off when Jesse spoke of the child Todd killed. For a split-second I thought that Jack might just have had enough in him to lambast Todd for killing a kid - but obviously not, he was just pissed at Jesse for letting it slip.

It's almost enough to make you reinvest in Walt. Surely that's the gist.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:54 am
Director

So today I finally got my parents to watch BB. It started from my dad seeing this article and reading a few paragraphs before he asked me about it. I watched part of the pilot with them and am pretty startled at how optimistic and bright-faced most characters are. Especially Jesse. Watching he beamed "This is art, Mr. White!" after their first successful cook is a bit heartbreaking.

Also, my mom during the bully scene in the clothing store: "oh, I hope this show isn't too intense." :lol:

Less than 24 hours.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:53 pm
Director

Low-key but very satisfying finale. May have teared up a few times during it, and about jumped out of my seat when the red dots appeared on Gretchen and Elliot. Feel like a "good bye" episode in the emotional sense without ever becoming that on the plot points. It is really a clockwork universe show, working up to that final, lonely, heartbreaking shot of Walt.

Goodbye, Breaking Bad.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:13 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next