Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:13 am

Captain Phillips (2013) 
Assistant Director

Post Captain Phillips (2013)
I just saw an advance screening. Another superb movie for the Fall season. Once again an avalanche of "***1/2 or better" movies cometh. Really, I find it amazing how much tension filmmakers can manufacture from a story like this, where the ending is already part of historical record. And Vexer, I know this is one of the movies you've been looking forward to, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 pm
Director

Post Re: Captain Phillips (2013)
I'm just curious: Is this a "Go USA! - We kick ass!" type of movie, or does it show what actually happened? (Especially considering that Phillips was a bit of a dumbass, and it's somewhat his fault that his boat got jacked)

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:41 pm
Producer

Considering that Greengrass directed the rather left-leaning Green Zone, i'm inclined to believe it's the latter. Phillips may not have been that smart, but I still believe the people who saved him were heroic, anyways I am looking forward to this film regardless of what position it takes.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 pm
Director

At first it was nagging me how I know about the event, then I remember that I read about it in No Easy Day. The author who is part of the raid that killed Bin Laden also was involved in this mission. So, going by that..

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Did it show Captain Phillips develop minor Stockholm Syndrome with the pirates? If I remember correctly, the author mentioned the captain was a bit stunned and upset that the soldiers kill them.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:04 pm
Assistant Director

As Vexer mentioned, it's definitely the latter. Greengrass also directed UNITED 93, and the "you are there" feeling throughout this movie is quite similar to that one. I wouldn't call Phillips a dumbass, though, at least as portrayed in this film. He's actually quite clever.

And peng is right on the money with his "spoiler" comments. That's exactly what happens.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:39 pm
Director

I should note that I only called Phillips dumb because he did choose a dumb course of action prior to the hijacking. He had been told to stay away from Somali waters because of pirates but went that route anyway.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:46 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I should note that I only called Phillips dumb because he did choose a dumb course of action prior to the hijacking. He had been told to stay away from Somali waters because of pirates but went that route anyway.

Yeah that's well said. It's kinda like when 127 Hours came out and people made a bit point to say that Aron Ralston was dumb, which he kinda was, but that doesn't take away the point of the film and what he accomplished thereafter.

I'm very amped for Captain Phillips, certainly.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:01 am
Second Unit Director

Well, after Gravity took the 4 stars, it looks like this is a guaranteed 3.5 stars.

I still have Rush, Don Jon, Prisoners, The Spectacular Now to see, and now with Gravity and Captain Phillips coming back to back, I'm in for an awesome next couple of weeks, not to mention the rest of fall.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:28 pm
Assistant Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Well, after Gravity took the 4 stars, it looks like this is a guaranteed 3.5 stars.

I still have Rush, Don Jon, Prisoners, The Spectacular Now to see, and now with Gravity and Captain Phillips coming back to back, I'm in for an awesome next couple of weeks, not to mention the rest of fall.

You betcha. Remember all those posts earlier in the year about "So when is 2013 going to get good?" or "Disappointing Year in the Movies", etc. I told everyone then to be patient, that the best stuff would come during the Fall. Looks like we're in for a cavalcade of strong movies once again. :)

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:53 pm