Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 
Director

Post Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The pilot exceeds my low expectation (based on the general advertisement) quite a bit. Not as dour like the promo led me to believe, and feel like a Whedon show at least, albeit a second-tier one (going only by the pilot). They even split the Topher personality from Dollhouse into two persons. And Coulson is great. The show has potential.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
I'm curious how much "super hero fatigue" will affect this show in the ratings...

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:40 am
Producer

I thought it was just okay. Not terrible but not great either.

I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide whether I"ll stick with it or ditch it.

At least it's better it's better than Joss Whedon's other overrated television series. Not nearly as great as The Avengers though.

I hope we get occasional appearances from other Avengers characters/actors. Considering that this is about S.H.I.E.L.D., a Sam Jackson cameo is a must some time in the future. But it be cool if we got a Black Widow guest appearance or Hawkeye. Or even Steven Rogers. Heck, since Coulsen is the star of the show, a Tony cameo at some point would definitely be welcome.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:07 am
Director

I think apart from Firefly, Whedon hasn't had the best records with pilots (although I have a feeling you're meaning that show when you said overrated).

Yeah, I am pleasantly surprised by how many references to Marvel world there are, considering Iron Man 3 barely mentioned the event of Avengers. Even the main plot in the pilot is a direct element of Iron Man 3. I hope too that the Avengers themselves will appear at some points. Since those are surely saved for sweeps and hiatus, right now I just wish to see maybe Nick Fury and a bit more of Maria Hill. If this made it to another season, the latter would hopefully become a regular, since Cobie Smulders will be done with HIMYM then.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:34 am
Producer

peng wrote:
I think apart from Firefly, Whedon hasn't had the best records with pilots (although I have a feeling you're meaning that show when you said overrated).

Yeah, I am pleasantly surprised by how many references to Marvel world there are, considering Iron Man 3 barely mentioned the event of Avengers. Even the main plot in the pilot is a direct element of Iron Man 3. I hope too that the Avengers themselves will appear at some points. Since those are surely saved for sweeps and hiatus, right now I just wish to see maybe Nick Fury and a bit more of Maria Hill. If this made it to another season, the latter would hopefully become a regular, since Cobie Smulders will be done with HIMYM then.

I think ALL of his shows are overrated. Not just Firefly but Buffy and Angel as well. The only I don't count is Dollhouse since I haven't seen it.

And Iron Man 3 barely mentioned the event of the Avengers?!!! Did you see the same movie I did? For a good deal of the beginning of the movie, Tony is going through PTSD BECAUSE of the events from the Avengers. He snaps out of it once his friend, Favreau's character, is badly injured. Everytime somebody brings up New York, he gets a nervous breakdown. The kid even makes fun of him for it.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:56 pm
Producer

Just when I was ready to give up on this show along comes last night's episode and gives me new hope for it. I liked last night's episode a lot. Definitely the best to date. Maybe there's hope for this show yet?

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:34 am
Director

I think last week's better, but yeah, being more serialized works for the show. Unfortunately, dialogue took a turn for the expository worse too. "Your power is an amazing gift." "And shield won't let me use it!" *foaming at the mouth*

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:30 am
Second Unit Director

It would take an awful lot of bad publicity to concel tghis programe considering the franchise it is connected to.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:32 am
Second Unit Director

Are some of you guys still watching this? I know some people I know aren't as enamored with it as I am, but this has become one of my regular shows of the new season.

The episode just before the winter break left us on a cliffhanger, and the first episode of the new year was the best I've seen the show produce so far.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Are some of you guys still watching this?.

Yes.... and no. I have the past six episodes on my DVR. I plan on catching up, yes! But for some reason it never really became "appointment television" for me.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:46 pm