Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:29 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656 ... 829  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6382
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Way Way Back (2013) **1/2

Man did JB overrate this one. I mean, it passes quickly and was a pleasant-enough movie to watch, but Jeez talk about indie movie 101. This might as well have been called "Coming of Age Movie." Sam Rockwell rises above the material, but the majority of the movie veers between eye-rolling (some cool black kids teach him how to dance!) to unbelievable (why would anyone show an interest in this complete blob of a human being) to a whole lot of been-there done-that. It reminded me of a quote from the AV Club that I didn't agree with in particular (since it was applied to 500 Days of Summer) but I see a lot of truth in: "Sometimes the Indie crowd needs their 27 Dresses too."

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:24 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 756
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
The Seventh Seal (1957)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/
Considered one of Ingmar Bergman's (numerous it has to be said) masterpieces is on the surface a film set during the Middle Ages about a group of people being stalked by Death - but of course it's all deeply allegorical (including the famous life or death chess game). It seems fairly clear Ingmar Bergman was an atheist (or at the very least seriously questioned the existence of God), and The Seventh Seal explores that theme. He went on to revisit it with his "Trilogy of Faith", which covered the same subject matter in a more comprehensive and imo satisfying manner (Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence). To be honest, I didn't find the acting anywhere near as good as other Bergman films I have seen over the years - it's origins are indeed from a stage play by Bergman and it really feels like it imo. The imagery is, as expected from Bergman, incredible. Not his greatest work imo, but still worth a watch.
7/10.


It's the only Bergman I've seen, but I can say I was very underwhelmed by it, considering all the praise it gets. My main complaint is that I found it a bit unfocused.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1768
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
The Way Way Back (2013) **1/2

Man did JB overrate this one. I mean, it passes quickly and was a pleasant-enough movie to watch, but Jeez talk about indie movie 101. This might as well have been called "Coming of Age Movie." Sam Rockwell rises above the material, but the majority of the movie veers between eye-rolling (some cool black kids teach him how to dance!) to unbelievable (why would anyone show an interest in this complete blob of a human being) to a whole lot of been-there done-that. It reminded me of a quote from the AV Club that I didn't agree with in particular (since it was applied to 500 Days of Summer) but I see a lot of truth in: "Sometimes the Indie crowd needs their 27 Dresses too."


I think I rated this a little higher, but I agree with a lot of what you said. There's not enough that is distinctive about this film.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:54 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6382
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Thief12 wrote:
nitrium wrote:
The Seventh Seal (1957)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/
Considered one of Ingmar Bergman's (numerous it has to be said) masterpieces is on the surface a film set during the Middle Ages about a group of people being stalked by Death - but of course it's all deeply allegorical (including the famous life or death chess game). It seems fairly clear Ingmar Bergman was an atheist (or at the very least seriously questioned the existence of God), and The Seventh Seal explores that theme. He went on to revisit it with his "Trilogy of Faith", which covered the same subject matter in a more comprehensive and imo satisfying manner (Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence). To be honest, I didn't find the acting anywhere near as good as other Bergman films I have seen over the years - it's origins are indeed from a stage play by Bergman and it really feels like it imo. The imagery is, as expected from Bergman, incredible. Not his greatest work imo, but still worth a watch.
7/10.


It's the only Bergman I've seen, but I can say I was very underwhelmed by it, considering all the praise it gets. My main complaint is that I found it a bit unfocused.


Go watch Cries and Whispers or Wild Strawberries. Don't let this be your only Bergman

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:22 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1404
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Cries and Whispers is powerful. I also may like The Virgin Spring better. Those are the only two Bergmans I've watched. It seems I chanced upon only his tough, emotionally draining ones.


Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:41 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6382
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
peng wrote:
Cries and Whispers is powerful. I also may like The Virgin Spring better. Those are the only two Bergmans I've watched. It seems I chanced upon only his tough, emotionally draining ones.


In fairness, that's like half his filmography

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:24 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 1750
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:
Cries and Whispers is powerful. I also may like The Virgin Spring better. Those are the only two Bergmans I've watched. It seems I chanced upon only his tough, emotionally draining ones.


In fairness, that's like half his filmography


Smiles of a Summer Night would be the other extreme. Wild Strawberries is easily the best I've seen by him, and it's full of hope.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:20 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 989
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Syd Henderson wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:
Cries and Whispers is powerful. I also may like The Virgin Spring better. Those are the only two Bergmans I've watched. It seems I chanced upon only his tough, emotionally draining ones.

In fairness, that's like half his filmography

Smiles of a Summer Night would be the other extreme. Wild Strawberries is easily the best I've seen by him, and it's full of hope.

Persona seems to be the film that is most commonly referred to as being Bergman's greatest work. I can't comment on that though, since I haven't actually seen it (yet)!


Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
Persona seems to be the film that is most commonly referred to as being Bergman's greatest work. I can't comment on that though, since I haven't actually seen it (yet)!

I haven't seen it either. I've been meaning to for a while. It's on my shelf.

I'll watch it if you do.

Call it homework. Due Monday morning.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:35 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6382
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Persona seems to be the film that is most commonly referred to as being Bergman's greatest work. I can't comment on that though, since I haven't actually seen it (yet)!

I haven't seen it either. I've been meaning to for a while. It's on my shelf.

I'll watch it if you do.

Call it homework. Due Monday morning.


I've seen it and it's easily my least favorite Bergman. Okay, in fairness, one scene gave me

[Reveal] Spoiler:
about as big a boner as I've ever had watching a film with no nudity


but it's a film school experiment, not a movie

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:01 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 756
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
It's the only Bergman I've seen, but I can say I was very underwhelmed by it, considering all the praise it gets. My main complaint is that I found it a bit unfocused.


Go watch Cries and Whispers or Wild Strawberries. Don't let this be your only Bergman


I don't intend it to be. I just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the recommendation!

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 989
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Persona seems to be the film that is most commonly referred to as being Bergman's greatest work. I can't comment on that though, since I haven't actually seen it (yet)!

I haven't seen it either. I've been meaning to for a while. It's on my shelf.
I'll watch it if you do.
Call it homework. Due Monday morning.

You'd have to give me a week to try and get hold of it. I'm not all that keen on buying but maybe one of my DVD rental places has it. AFAIK there is no Netflix (or equivalent) in New Zealand yet unfortunately.


Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:41 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Alright. Let me know when you want to pull the trigger on this.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:07 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6382
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
Alright. Let me know when you want to pull the trigger on this.


Oh it'll pull your trigger alright. See above. *saucy wink*

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:10 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
Oh it'll pull your trigger alright. See above. *saucy wink*

Our assignment will come.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:22 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6382
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Oh it'll pull your trigger alright. See above. *saucy wink*

Our assignment will come.


Well you certainly will

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:40 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Already there.

What?

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:44 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1404
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Frequency (2000)

Logical issues asides, entertaining and very heartfelt drama/thriller. The relationship between father and son really resonates and carries the whole movie through. 8/10

Confessions (2010)


The opening 30-minute monologue, where a teacher recalls a death and explains her plan for revenge, is magnificent and absolutely captivating in both its performance and directing. The rest of the film doesn't measure up to it, going overboard in emphasizing and underscoring the illness of its Japanese society, despite all around great performances. Still, that opening monologue is worth the price of admission alone, and can even be seen as a short film in itself. 8/10


Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:55 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 989
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Kings of Summer (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179116/
A simple "coming of age" dramedy about three teenagers who build a cabin in the woods to escape from their parents who they despise. I found this better than I expected, although there is certainly nothing here we haven't seen before (and done better). "A charming feel good movie" pretty much sums it up.
7/10.


Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:03 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 563
Location: The Desert
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
Persona seems to be the film that is most commonly referred to as being Bergman's greatest work. I can't comment on that though, since I haven't actually seen it (yet)!


This and The Seventh Seal were my first experiences with Bergman, and they're probably the two worst films of his to use as an introduction to his work. After those two films, I resisted for a long time exploring his work more, which was unfortunate considering how rewarding I've found his other films to be.

From all that I've seen of him, Persona is Bergman at his most experimental and impenetrable. It's a fascinating film, but it also requires a good deal of patience. Supposedly Criterion are planning a new edition for it due out next year; hopefully there will be plenty of explore contextual supplements to explore.

peng wrote:
Frequency (2000)

Logical issues asides, entertaining and very heartfelt drama/thriller. The relationship between father and son really resonates and carries the whole movie through. 8/10


I've always liked this one too. Berardinelli's review of it in retrospect feels a little unfair, especially since he didn't seem to have any problem with the logical issues in Rian Johnson's Looper. I've seen Frequency several times now, and it still manages to make me a little teary-eyed in certain places.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656 ... 829  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr