Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656 ... 829  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Way Way Back (2013) **1/2

Man did JB overrate this one. I mean, it passes quickly and was a pleasant-enough movie to watch, but Jeez talk about indie movie 101. This might as well have been called "Coming of Age Movie." Sam Rockwell rises above the material, but the majority of the movie veers between eye-rolling (some cool black kids teach him how to dance!) to unbelievable (why would anyone show an interest in this complete blob of a human being) to a whole lot of been-there done-that. It reminded me of a quote from the AV Club that I didn't agree with in particular (since it was applied to 500 Days of Summer) but I see a lot of truth in: "Sometimes the Indie crowd needs their 27 Dresses too."

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:24 am
Assistant Director

nitrium wrote:
The Seventh Seal (1957)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/
Considered one of Ingmar Bergman's (numerous it has to be said) masterpieces is on the surface a film set during the Middle Ages about a group of people being stalked by Death - but of course it's all deeply allegorical (including the famous life or death chess game). It seems fairly clear Ingmar Bergman was an atheist (or at the very least seriously questioned the existence of God), and The Seventh Seal explores that theme. He went on to revisit it with his "Trilogy of Faith", which covered the same subject matter in a more comprehensive and imo satisfying manner (Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence). To be honest, I didn't find the acting anywhere near as good as other Bergman films I have seen over the years - it's origins are indeed from a stage play by Bergman and it really feels like it imo. The imagery is, as expected from Bergman, incredible. Not his greatest work imo, but still worth a watch.
7/10.

It's the only Bergman I've seen, but I can say I was very underwhelmed by it, considering all the praise it gets. My main complaint is that I found it a bit unfocused.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
The Way Way Back (2013) **1/2

Man did JB overrate this one. I mean, it passes quickly and was a pleasant-enough movie to watch, but Jeez talk about indie movie 101. This might as well have been called "Coming of Age Movie." Sam Rockwell rises above the material, but the majority of the movie veers between eye-rolling (some cool black kids teach him how to dance!) to unbelievable (why would anyone show an interest in this complete blob of a human being) to a whole lot of been-there done-that. It reminded me of a quote from the AV Club that I didn't agree with in particular (since it was applied to 500 Days of Summer) but I see a lot of truth in: "Sometimes the Indie crowd needs their 27 Dresses too."

I think I rated this a little higher, but I agree with a lot of what you said. There's not enough that is distinctive about this film.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:54 am
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
nitrium wrote:
The Seventh Seal (1957)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/
Considered one of Ingmar Bergman's (numerous it has to be said) masterpieces is on the surface a film set during the Middle Ages about a group of people being stalked by Death - but of course it's all deeply allegorical (including the famous life or death chess game). It seems fairly clear Ingmar Bergman was an atheist (or at the very least seriously questioned the existence of God), and The Seventh Seal explores that theme. He went on to revisit it with his "Trilogy of Faith", which covered the same subject matter in a more comprehensive and imo satisfying manner (Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence). To be honest, I didn't find the acting anywhere near as good as other Bergman films I have seen over the years - it's origins are indeed from a stage play by Bergman and it really feels like it imo. The imagery is, as expected from Bergman, incredible. Not his greatest work imo, but still worth a watch.
7/10.

It's the only Bergman I've seen, but I can say I was very underwhelmed by it, considering all the praise it gets. My main complaint is that I found it a bit unfocused.

Go watch Cries and Whispers or Wild Strawberries. Don't let this be your only Bergman

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:22 pm
Director

Cries and Whispers is powerful. I also may like The Virgin Spring better. Those are the only two Bergmans I've watched. It seems I chanced upon only his tough, emotionally draining ones.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:41 pm
Critic

peng wrote:
Cries and Whispers is powerful. I also may like The Virgin Spring better. Those are the only two Bergmans I've watched. It seems I chanced upon only his tough, emotionally draining ones.

In fairness, that's like half his filmography

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:24 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:

Smiles of a Summer Night would be the other extreme. Wild Strawberries is easily the best I've seen by him, and it's full of hope.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:20 pm
Assistant Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:

Smiles of a Summer Night would be the other extreme. Wild Strawberries is easily the best I've seen by him, and it's full of hope.

Persona seems to be the film that is most commonly referred to as being Bergman's greatest work. I can't comment on that though, since I haven't actually seen it (yet)!

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 pm
Producer

nitrium wrote:
Persona seems to be the film that is most commonly referred to as being Bergman's greatest work. I can't comment on that though, since I haven't actually seen it (yet)!

I haven't seen it either. I've been meaning to for a while. It's on my shelf.

I'll watch it if you do.

Call it homework. Due Monday morning.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:35 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
nitrium wrote:

I'll watch it if you do.

I've seen it and it's easily my least favorite Bergman. Okay, in fairness, one scene gave me

[Reveal] Spoiler:
about as big a boner as I've ever had watching a film with no nudity

but it's a film school experiment, not a movie

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:01 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Go watch Cries and Whispers or Wild Strawberries. Don't let this be your only Bergman

I don't intend it to be. I just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
nitrium wrote:

I'll watch it if you do.

You'd have to give me a week to try and get hold of it. I'm not all that keen on buying but maybe one of my DVD rental places has it. AFAIK there is no Netflix (or equivalent) in New Zealand yet unfortunately.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:41 pm
Producer

Alright. Let me know when you want to pull the trigger on this.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:07 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Alright. Let me know when you want to pull the trigger on this.

Oh it'll pull your trigger alright. See above. *saucy wink*

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:10 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:

Our assignment will come.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:22 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Our assignment will come.

Well you certainly will

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:40 pm
Producer

Already there.

What?

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:44 pm
Director

Frequency (2000)

Logical issues asides, entertaining and very heartfelt drama/thriller. The relationship between father and son really resonates and carries the whole movie through. 8/10

Confessions (2010)

The opening 30-minute monologue, where a teacher recalls a death and explains her plan for revenge, is magnificent and absolutely captivating in both its performance and directing. The rest of the film doesn't measure up to it, going overboard in emphasizing and underscoring the illness of its Japanese society, despite all around great performances. Still, that opening monologue is worth the price of admission alone, and can even be seen as a short film in itself. 8/10

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:55 pm
Assistant Director

Kings of Summer (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179116/
A simple "coming of age" dramedy about three teenagers who build a cabin in the woods to escape from their parents who they despise. I found this better than I expected, although there is certainly nothing here we haven't seen before (and done better). "A charming feel good movie" pretty much sums it up.
7/10.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:03 am
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:

This and The Seventh Seal were my first experiences with Bergman, and they're probably the two worst films of his to use as an introduction to his work. After those two films, I resisted for a long time exploring his work more, which was unfortunate considering how rewarding I've found his other films to be.

From all that I've seen of him, Persona is Bergman at his most experimental and impenetrable. It's a fascinating film, but it also requires a good deal of patience. Supposedly Criterion are planning a new edition for it due out next year; hopefully there will be plenty of explore contextual supplements to explore.

peng wrote:
Frequency (2000)

Logical issues asides, entertaining and very heartfelt drama/thriller. The relationship between father and son really resonates and carries the whole movie through. 8/10

I've always liked this one too. Berardinelli's review of it in retrospect feels a little unfair, especially since he didn't seem to have any problem with the logical issues in Rian Johnson's Looper. I've seen Frequency several times now, and it still manages to make me a little teary-eyed in certain places.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656 ... 829  Next