Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16040 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 649, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655 ... 802  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
I seem to be in the minority who watch the first 2 original Star Trek movies and then still enjoy both J. J. Abrams ones thoroughly (maybe because I watched them just a few years before I watch the 2009 one). Khan is better than all of course, but Into Darkness is the best blockbuster-type movie I've seen this summer.

Why would George Clooney be a bad choice for a role?

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:34 am
Assistant Director

peng wrote:
I seem to be in the minority who watch the first 2 original Star Trek movies and then still enjoy both J. J. Abrams ones thoroughly (maybe because I watched them just a few years before I watch the 2009 one). Khan is better than all of course, but Into Darkness is the best blockbuster-type movie I've seen this summer.
Why would George Clooney be a bad choice for a role?

He wouldn't be. None of the actors in the Star Trek reboot annoy me really - they're all pretty good (I'm not a huge Chris Pine fan, but I don't hate him either).
I actually don't exactly "hate" the new Star Trek movies, I just don't understand why they are what they are - i.e. why the refresh of old ST IP as opposed to all new ST IP? Do "the names" really translate into extra revenue (which is the only thing Hollywood cares about)? Did people seriously want to see the reboots because they have "Captain James T. Kirk" et al in it? Who even knew what the characters were called in TOS except old Trek fans?

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:12 am
Producer

Many people will at least recognize Spock and his pointy ears, even if they've never seen a Star Trek episode or film. Those characters are so fundamental that they've evolved into their own storytelling archetypes. The Kirk. The Spock. The McCoy. After the death of several Star Trek spinoff series, one can't blame Paramount for wanting to go back to the surely tried and true, even if they don't quite seem to understand what really made it what it was.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 am
Director

Pinocchio

The original 1940 animated version. What ever happened to kid's movies like this? Unabashedly nightmarish and weirdly disturbing at times. It doesn't have a "feel good" vibe at all, instead focusing on darkness and despair. You see this same darkness in Bambi, The Jungle Book, Fox and the Hound, 70s Charlotte's Web, Brave Little Toaster. Pinocchio seems to have pedophile-ish connotations with the Falstaff guy kidnapping kids and turning them into donkeys. When was the last time Kafka-esque vibes came from a kids movie? I also love how they don't go out of their way to make Pinocchio likable. He's really a complete brat until he finally sort of redeems himself at the end.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:14 am
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
I had a lot of fun with Star Trek (2009), so I was kinda looking forward to the sequel, Star Trek: Into Darkness. I watched it this morning and, although I don't think it was as good as the first one, I still enjoyed it a lot. Action was very well handled, there were some good emotional moments, Benedict Cumberbatch was pretty good as Khan... but I also felt it went over a bit longer than it should during its last act. Still, for someone who isn't familiar with this franchise, and who hadn't seen any of the previous films, I'm sure enjoying J.J. Abrams take on it. Grade: B+

My biggest issue with it is that it has absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek canon - so technically shouldn't even be called "Star Trek". It has the names, but not the faces (or even the characters for that matter) - Abrams' TV series Fringe did parallel universes a lot better in this regard. Leonard Nimoy (the only thing tying the two "universes" together) should hang his head in shame for being involved in this, but I guess the money was too good to pass up (a paycheck is a paycheck I 'spose).

Since I've never seen the original films or series, I can't comment on that. But I suppose it's an understandable complaint.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Director

Double Indemnity (1944)

Another great Billy Wilder film. He sure isn't afraid to have his characters exhibit moral deficiency or unappealing traits, but despite the leads' murder plan here, you can't help but sweat with them when they get in some tight spots, a sign of deft direction and performances. The atmosphere and mood are also intoxicating, and the dialogue is finely laid with wit and some cutting double entendres. One complaint though: the film could have been longer to flesh out the characters more, as some of the two leads' arcs are a little lacking. Walter falling for Phyllis is very rushed. Likewise, her declaration at the end is sold only by the performance, but not feeling impactful as it should be, because we are not shown enough of their "affection", if at all. 8.5/10

Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:07 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Tarantino clones are often guilty fun (anyone else enjoy [b]Go
? I enjoyed Go)

I liked Go also. I found it to be pretty fun. It and Swingers were both made when Doug Liman was still young and hungry. Today he seems to be becoming more of an edgier Sydney Pollack. Which leads to:

Fair Game

Not the Cindy Crawford/William Baldwin abomination, this 2010 effort is Liman's most recent directorial effort. A docudrama based on the Joe Wilson/Valerie Plame case, this one is one of the more ambitious mainstream films of recent years. Luckily it's still involving even for a movie in which most viewers will know the bulk of the details.

Sean Penn is very good as he usually is. Naomi Watts role in some ways is the larger one and she pulls it off quite well.

Pretty good overall, but not as suspenseful or harrowing as Rod Lurie's Nothing But The Truth which covered similar territory albeit from a more fictionalized perspective.

If Swingers and Go showed Liman trying to find his place in the film world and borrowing from the likes of Tarantino and Kevin Smith, his post Borune Identity work has shown him trying to bring a more ambitious and unconventional approach to the mainstream.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:15 am
Producer

Fair Game, the Doug Liman/Naomi Watts/Sean Penn flick, was in my top 5 of 2010. Superb film. One of the more underrated in recent years.

I have to admit that I enjoyed the "other" Fair Game as well. The Cindy Crawford/Billy Baldwin one. It's one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. I acknowledge that it's not a very good movie, but I love the action, Crawford is hot, the movie moves at a decent pace. It could have used a better more memorable climax, but otherwise, it's enjoyable.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Excalibur - 1981, John Boorman

I had forgotten how good this is. It is very theatrical, with over-the-top performances (especially from Nicol Williamson). The dialogue has a disconnected feel to it. I suspect that it was re-dubbed for some reason.

There is a feast of now-famous first timers including Gabriel Byrne, Liam Neeson, and Cherie Lunghi. Interestingly, for every future star, the film seems to have an actor that sank without trace: Nicholas Clay (Lancelot), Paul Geoffrey (Percival), and King Arthur himself Nigel Terry, who was apparently in Troy, but I missed him.

The battles are bloody and the love-making is sexy. The direction is very stylised with soft-focus and excessive green back-lighting.

Excalibur makes powerful use of stirring classical music and the final scene is jaw-dropping.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:42 am
Director

Keith

A boy meets girl story... think Love Story updated a few decades. I don't mind romantic stories, and this had potential, but the lead actors lack chemistry, making this ho-hum.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:36 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Fair Game, the Doug Liman/Naomi Watts/Sean Penn flick, was in my top 5 of 2010. Superb film. One of the more underrated in recent years.

I have to admit that I enjoyed the "other" Fair Game as well. The Cindy Crawford/Billy Baldwin one. It's one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. I acknowledge that it's not a very good movie, but I love the action, Crawford is hot, the movie moves at a decent pace. It could have used a better more memorable climax, but otherwise, it's enjoyable.

I too enjoyed the Baldwin film, I found it highly underrated and enjoyable, can't say I cared that much for the 2010 one though, the story just wasn't that compelling.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:51 pm
Director

Alex wrote:
Excalibur - 1981, John Boorman

I had forgotten how good this is. It is very theatrical, with over-the-top performances (especially from Nicol Williamson). The dialogue has a disconnected feel to it. I suspect that it was re-dubbed for some reason.

There is a feast of now-famous first timers including Gabriel Byrne, Liam Neeson, and Cherie Lunghi. Interestingly, for every future star, the film seems to have an actor that sank without trace: Nicholas Clay (Lancelot), Paul Geoffrey (Percival), and King Arthur himself Nigel Terry, who was apparently in Troy, but I missed him.

The battles are bloody and the love-making is sexy. The direction is very stylised with soft-focus and excessive green back-lighting.

Excalibur makes powerful use of stirring classical music and the final scene is jaw-dropping.

Such a great movie. So glad one movies exists like this which features the King Arthur legend in the most comprehensive form possible. Was listening to Boorman's commentary. He says that first scene had to be shot three times. The DP underexposed it the first two times, so he dropped out and the new DP got it done. Crazy story.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:24 pm
Director

Saturday Night Fever

One of the finest films of its era. Often improperly labeled as a disco movie, it is actually a gritty tale of a young man trying to find his way in a screwy world. Travolta really shows off his acting chops; it's a shame that he has rarely done much of equal quality.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:39 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Saturday Night Fever

One of the finest films of its era. Often improperly labeled as a disco movie, it is actually a gritty tale of a young man trying to find his way in a screwy world. Travolta really shows off his acting chops; it's a shame that he has rarely done much of equal quality.

Yeah I was really surprised when I actually saw this movie - wasn't at all what I thought it was going to be

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:40 pm
Gaffer

Amadeus

Directed by Milos Forman and released in 1984. The movie depicts the last 10 years of Mozarts life, lived in Vienna. There is a focus on a court composer Salieri and his great jealousy of Mozarts talent and distain for his life-style that he considers vulgar and childish.

I liked the movie very much. I enjoy classical music and there are several scenes showing the creative process of a composer which are exciting. The acting is also top notch. The only thing is all the actors have really obviously American accents! This is especially obvious in scenes featuring the actress playing Mozarts Wife Constanza. Scenes of Mozart out on the town... drinking and debauchery, if it wasn't for the costumes you might think you were watching a spaghetti western.

The story is almost more about Salieri than Mozart... how his jealousy has poisoned his own life. Most of us can probably relate to a feeling of jealousy at others who have great ability at something and who seem to coast through life making up their own rules and can do no wrong in peoples eyes and end up getting all the plaudits. JamesB refers to Salieri a bit harshly as a "mediocre composer with a limited reputation" but this man devoted his life to his craft, producing many classical works. I have sympathy for the frustration he feels at how easily the creation of beautiful music comes to Mozart.

I think this movie has such a great story it should be re-made. The sequences showing the creative process of composing could be made even more involving with more creative modern editing techniques. Personally speaking I would prefer a little less emphasis on Mozarts works of Opera and more on his piano and choral works. Maybe a British cast would be a better choice? Mozart spoke German so maybe a German cast speaking English. Better German accents than Yanky-Doodle-Do accents!

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:14 pm
Producer

I believe the intention behind the accents used in Amadeus was similar to that of The Last Temptation of Christ: casting in a way that reveals character, rather than point of origin. Mozart and Constanze talk like regular folk, Salieri and Joseph are more mannered, Orsini-Rosenberg is downright uppity, and so on.

I agree it's a shame that there wasn't more time for Mozart's works in other genres. It has been said that his operas are the most essential part of his oeuvre, so maybe the only good solution is more movies about Mozart. I wouldn't say no to that.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm
Assistant Director

This is the End
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245492/
I was hoping this would funny. Turns out it isn't. Did enjoy the bits with Michael Cera, but the rest was mostly boring (I almost fell asleep twice) and unfunny. Seth Rogan's yelling at anyone and anything was amusing for like 5 minutes, after which time it became a grating irritation. Unfortunately (for me in this case) humour is so very subjective, and movies like this remind why I generally avoid the genre altogether.
5/10.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:27 am
Director

Elysium (2013)

Feel like having a fully imaginative world that works just 40 percent of its capability. It is so rushed in going from scene to scene that it could afford to be longer to flesh out the characters and to utilize its world fully. Even so, I still liked it a good deal as a summer action film that has great background, special effects, and set designs. 7/10

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

Incredible, moving film. The direction, full of revealing close-ups, is impeccable and hasn't aged a day, but Maria Falconetti's soul-bearing performance goes beyond that. For a film that ends with an execution, it avoids being a complete downer by the sheer spiritual faith and trust etched in all of Falconetti's face. We are so intimate to every emotion and thought passing on her features that by the end of the film, we feel as certain as her, and are absolutely convinced with her that, given two choices, this is the one she must take. 10/10

F for Fake (1973)

Well, I'm not really sure how I feel about it overall, apt for a film with such slippery narrative. I can see it as something that goes up in repeated viewing, though. Very stylish and never less than interesting. The subjects are compelling enough in a "documentary" about art and fakery to hold you to the end, although the non-linear telling can make your head spin in spots (part of of the trick I guess). Some of the art stuff also go over my head. Ultimately, the low spots even don't matter much with all the content wrapped in Orson Welles' (pretty show-off, if I may say) narrative. Welles is very, very indulgent, but he sure gives you a good time for it. 8/10

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:00 pm
Assistant Director

The Seventh Seal (1957)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/
Considered one of Ingmar Bergman's (numerous it has to be said) masterpieces is on the surface a film set during the Middle Ages about a group of people being stalked by Death - but of course it's all deeply allegorical (including the famous life or death chess game). It seems fairly clear Ingmar Bergman was an atheist (or at the very least seriously questioned the existence of God), and The Seventh Seal explores that theme. He went on to revisit it with his "Trilogy of Faith", which covered the same subject matter in a more comprehensive and imo satisfying manner (Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence). To be honest, I didn't find the acting anywhere near as good as other Bergman films I have seen over the years - it's origins are indeed from a stage play by Bergman and it really feels like it imo. The imagery is, as expected from Bergman, incredible. Not his greatest work imo, but still worth a watch.
7/10.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:52 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:
The Seventh Seal (1957)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/
Considered one of Ingmar Bergman's (numerous it has to be said) masterpieces is on the surface a film set during the Middle Ages about a group of people being stalked by Death - but of course it's all deeply allegorical (including the famous life or death chess game). It seems fairly clear Ingmar Bergman was an atheist (or at the very least seriously questioned the existence of God), and The Seventh Seal explores that theme. He went on to revisit it with his "Trilogy of Faith", which covered the same subject matter in a more comprehensive and imo satisfying manner (Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence). To be honest, I didn't find the acting anywhere near as good as other Bergman films I have seen over the years - it's origins are indeed from a stage play by Bergman and it really feels like it imo. The imagery is, as expected from Bergman, incredible. Not his greatest work imo, but still worth a watch.
7/10.

Agree completely. I prefer interpersonal relationships Bergman to meditating-on-the-nature-of-God Bergman

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:16 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16040 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 649, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655 ... 802  Next