September 15, 2013: "The Last Whisper of the Gods" 
Site Admin

Post September 15, 2013: "The Last Whisper of the Gods"
Click here to read topic.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: September 15, 2013: "The Last Whisper of the Gods"
Will there be any cross-over with the Price trilogy and this trilogy?

Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:46 pm
Site Admin

patrick wrote:
Will there be any cross-over with the Price trilogy and this trilogy?

No cross-over. It's completely new. Eventually, I'd like to do a massive overhaul of the Price trilogy. There are some truly awful contrivances and things that don't make a lot of sense. That's what happens when one starts writing without an overall game plan. The new books are much more structured and, as a result, narratively sound.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Great title. Also good to hear that you survived Michael's terrible twos with your workaholism intact.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:40 pm
Second Unit Director

After reading through George R.R. Martin's books, 500 pages seems downright tiny. I'm not criticizing, just observing. You working on a novel is probably more than most of us could say right now. Hope it succeeds, and who knows? Maybe it will be adapted into film or television too. :)

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:19 pm
Producer

The length of a novel is an interesting issue. Some fantasy novels are crazy-long, but I think most organizations (at least, the ones who have to care about this sort of thing) generally consider The Great Gatsby to be at the lower end of a proper novel length.

I've written one Gatsby length novel, which is awful and will never be seen by anybody. I just wanted to see if I could do it. It was a bit of a slog and I don't think I got much out of it other than the simple act of doing it. I much prefer writing in shorter formats.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:24 pm
Site Admin

Ken wrote:
The length of a novel is an interesting issue. Some fantasy novels are crazy-long, but I think most organizations (at least, the ones who have to care about this sort of thing) generally consider The Great Gatsby to be at the lower end of a proper novel length.

I'm a believer that the story will dictate the length. Books 1, 2, and 3 combined will end up being between 1500 and 1550 pages. (Thus far, I have written all of Books 1 & 2 and 370 pages of Book 3.) I could theoretically break the story into two books. Those would end up being 850 and 700 pages. Publishers, however, like trilogies, especially for fantasy novels. Throwing out Martin, whose books tend toward crazy-long, the average fantasy novel tends to fall between 350 and 500 pages, so mine would be near the upper end of that.

Of course, with Martin, you get 1000 page books but you also have to wait six years in between. I can safely say that, given 6 years, I could write 2500 pages. And that's only doing it part-time. If I was a full-time writer, I could write 1500 good-quality pages per year. (For the record, that's only 30 pages per week or, assuming six days of writing, five pages per day.)

When you get to e-books, though, page count loses its meaning.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I've gotten exhausted just writing fanfiction, there's no way I could ever write even a modest sized novel, it would just be far too time-consuming and troublesome for me.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:37 pm
Director

I seem to recall that you have a "day job". So if this trilogy of novels does well for you, they become a best seller hit and all, will you quite that day job and focus entirely on your writing?

Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:18 am
Second Unit Director

Will there be songs to sing and a product line of swords to purchase?

You shoulda started taking our money for movie reviews years ago ;)

Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:45 am
Site Admin

ilovemovies wrote:
I seem to recall that you have a "day job". So if this trilogy of novels does well for you, they become a best seller hit and all, will you quite that day job and focus entirely on your writing?

The likelihood of the books making enough to be able to support me (when combined with the income I make from ReelViews advertising) is unlikely. Extremely unlikely.

But if I'm dreaming... Yes, if the books were to become successful, I would quit the day job. Also, if they were *really* successful, I'd remove all advertising from ReelViews. That's a secret fantasy of mine - to make enough money elsewhere to be able to go back to where I could again call the site "the largest non-commercial movie-related site on the 'net."

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Hi James. I was wondering if you will provide free excerpts or previews of the "The Last Whisper of the Gods" on Reelviews at any point in the future.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:35 pm
Site Admin

StatGuy2000 wrote:
Hi James. I was wondering if you will provide free excerpts or previews of the "The Last Whisper of the Gods" on Reelviews at any point in the future.

That's my eventual intention. However, I have to wait until I've selected a publisher and discussed marketing with them. Another thing I may do is write a short story "prequel" that would be made free on-line.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Well even though I have to admit I'm a bit upset that you're not giving us many RealThoughts these days (Good old times back in 2005 when you used to give us one every few days) and considering the fact that I'm fan of you because I like your skills in writing (Rather than particularly finding myself agreeing more with you compared to the other critics) and how you always know how to do the wordings of your reviews so they would possess a kind of a memorablity factor in them which is also the same quality I wish to find in my film viewings, I have to admit I'm quite excited with this new set of books.

Not to mention that the main idea is of those stuff one might wish to think about it sooner himself and also the fact that fantasy is my favorite genre. £

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:54 am
Second Unit Director

Damn proud of you James!

You accomplish more and have more influence with those parts of your life that you consider "diversions" than most of us do with our primary vocations. I have never read a fantasy novel before, but if your name is on the cover, I'll pick up a copy -in hardcover.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:41 pm