Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 652, 653 ... 818  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Producer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Bob le Flambeur ("Bob the Gambler") isn't quite the classic it's been proclaimed, but it's reasonably entertaining in the early going and gets particularly good toward the end when it takes a left turn from what seems like an standard caper movie, heading toward a humorous ending which seems a bit odd considering the dire events that just took place. Isabelle Corey is very sexy as his young friend and protégée. The film is one of the influences that became the French New Wave and was a big step in Melville's film career. Too many Significant Quotable Lines. (7 of 10)

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:21 am
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
Bob le Flambeur ("Bob the Gambler") isn't quite the classic it's been proclaimed, but it's reasonably entertaining in the early going and gets particularly good toward the end when it takes a left turn from what seems like an standard caper movie, heading toward a humorous ending which seems a bit odd considering the dire events that just took place. Isabelle Corey is very sexy as his young friend and protégée. The film is one of the influences that became the French New Wave and was a big step in Melville's film career. Too many Significant Quotable Lines. (7 of 10)

I agree that it's not a great movie. Give me Army of Shadows any day.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:06 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

I agree that it's not a great movie. Give me Army of Shadows any day.

I thought pretty much the same thing when I watched it last year.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:23 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:

I agree. Now I love me some Melville, and I think this film is a great way to see how he was developing his style.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:06 pm
Director

Maniac (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103217/
Elijah Wood plays a very disturbed mannequin restorer (Frank) in this horror. The unique feature of this otherwise fairly generic slasher/serial killer movie is that it's told almost entirely in first person perspective. This really takes the viewer into the mind of the killer, and is actually quite disconcerting. This movie was effectively banned here in New Zealand outside of film festivals and media study classes, imo a totally ridiculous decision.
7/10.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 pm
Director

Brazil (1985)

The story goes off in so many tangents that some are more interesting than others (everything to do with the mother is gold), and makes the film feel unfocused a lot of times at 2.5 hours. Also, the close adherence to 1984 is somewhat inspired, but also means that the story beats are pretty spelled out and make the movie almost predictable. The set designs are a wonder, though, matching the moods and situations perfectly, and the last 30 minutes is one of the best endings to a movie I've seen. 8.5/10

Touch of Evil (1958)

Not as good as Citizen Kane, and the main couple seems imported from another film that is more conventional and less cynical. However, the direction is really fantastic throughout. That opening long take is not only great technically, but also for the enormous tension it wrings out. The story is also hard-edged and twisty enough to engage. And although the film isn't as good, Orson Welles' Captain Hank Quinlan may be a more interesting and complex character than Kane. The performance is a great one, evoking both disgust and sympathy. After spending most of the running time almost hating him, I was surprised how deeply sad I felt for him at the end. What a tragic character. 9/10

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:43 pm
Critic

The Well (1951) ***

I had never heard of this odd little noir (and, indeed, have no idea how it found its way onto my Instant Q) but I'm very glad I watched it and recommend it highly. A little black girl falls into the well of the film's title in the opening shot, and in doing so catalyzes racial tensions in Anytown, USA. Things escalate quickly in a well-executed montage, and the local sheriff is on the verge of calling in the militia before the movie gearshifts completely in a very different second act, though still an exciting one.

The movie's depiction of race relations isn't perfect (having the local police as entirely colorblind seems far-fetched), and is too easily solved in the end, but there's a lot of interesting stuff here and, at only 86 minutes, can be easily worked into y'all's schedules.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:01 pm
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

I agree. Now I love me some Melville, and I think this film is a great way to see how he was developing his style.

Isabelle Corey was a 16-year old model who Melville basically picked off the street and she became an instant star. She's really good here and had a pretty good career as a junior Bardot until she left films at the ripe old age of 21. She died a few years ago at the age of 71. I wonder how her life turned out.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:08 pm
Second Unit Director

The Grandmaster (2013) 2.5/4

This is a beautiful film--possibly some of the best cinematography and camera work that I've seen this year--however I simply cannot stretch my accolades much further than that. It's sad to say, but this film feels butchered. Cuts are extremely odd at times, and narrative cards come flashing on the screen at a moments notice. I'm sure a good amount of this has to do with the editing process that the film went through in order to reach American audiences, yet its hard to overlook. While a good majority of this film is focused on the art and life of Ip man, I personally found the time with the Northern Grandmaster's daughter, Gong Er, much more intriguing. Kar Wai tries to connect the stories of Ip man and Gong through emotion and regret, but the basis of this relationship always feels extraordinarily shallow. Perhaps the Directors Cut of this film provides more detail into the connections of these two characters, but the version presently in theaters simply falls short. It's hard to give this film a definite rating; I'm sure the directors original vision trumps Weinstein's version. I would love to revisit this film if I can ever get my hands on a true, definitive version. The Grandmaster has clear glimpses of greatness, and a visual style thats stunning, but the narrative here just feels shredded and displaced.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) 4/4

Aguirre, the Wrath of God, a film set in the 16th century, looks into the very essence of the human spirt and examines the inner yearnings for control, power, and prestige. Where Apocalypse Now explored the madness of war, Aguirre dives into a realm of madness that stems from complete desire. The film drops viewers into a search for El Dorado; the Spanish have conquered the land, but a fabled city of gold waits to be discovered. I couldn't help but think of the myth of El Dorado and its relation to the film as a whole. The myth almost feels like a form of punishment directed towards the Spaniards and their conquest-- a great "f-you" from the people and the land. Yet what impressed me the most about Aguirre was it's commentary on dominion. Nothing can stop Aguirre's desire for dominion of the "new land," and in many ways our central character echoes the mindset of our very own system of government. The quest at the heart of Aguirre, the Wrath of God is bound in the unseen. Herzog's camera work is tight and compact, conveying the sense that our characters are trapped in a dark, dreary journey that will ultimately be fruitless. The final scene of Aguirre is daunting, yet its masterful just the same because it never surrenders the madness that is instilled throughout its duration.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:49 am
Producer

The Company You Keep: 3.5 stars out o 4.

Excellent movie. Great performances from Redford and LeBeouf. With a first rate ensemble that includes the likes of Julie Christie, Chris Cooper, Terrance Howard, Anna Kendrick, Stanley Tucci, Sam Elliot, Nick Nolte, Britt Marling, Brendan Gleeson, Stephen Root, Richard Jenkins and Susan Sarandon. Though most of them only pop up for a scene or two, but even so they are quite effective. I found the movie to be utterly absorbing and compelling from beginning to end. Loved it.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:57 am
Critic

JackBurns wrote:

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) 4/4

Aguirre, the Wrath of God, a film set in the 16th century, looks into the very essence of the human spirt and examines the inner yearnings for control, power, and prestige. Where Apocalypse Now explored the madness of war, Aguirre dives into a realm of madness that stems from complete desire. The film drops viewers into a search for El Dorado; the Spanish have conquered the land, but a fabled city of gold waits to be discovered. I couldn't help but think of the myth of El Dorado and its relation to the film as a whole. The myth almost feels like a form of punishment directed towards the Spaniards and their conquest-- a great "f-you" from the people and the land. Yet what impressed me the most about Aguirre was it's commentary on dominion. Nothing can stop Aguirre's desire for dominion of the "new land," and in many ways our central character echoes the mindset of our very own system of government. The quest at the heart of Aguirre, the Wrath of God is bound in the unseen. Herzog's camera work is tight and compact, conveying the sense that our characters are trapped in a dark, dreary journey that will ultimately be fruitless. The final scene of Aguirre is daunting, yet its masterful just the same because it never surrenders the madness that is instilled throughout its duration.

I know, right? Would make my Top 20 of all time

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:00 am
Director

Donnie Darko

A teenage schizophrenic has bouts of sleepwalking, visions of a destructive future, and an imaginary friend dressed as a rabbit. The plot of this film is hard to describe; it just is, and all the elements somehow come together at the end. Donnie Darko is a unique film. I can see why it became a cult item, because it is competently made and strange enough where it will only attract a small following. It's a good film, but it falls short from greatness; it is too strange to be completely compelling, but too unique to be totally ignored.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:33 am
Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Donnie Darko
A teenage schizophrenic has bouts of sleepwalking, visions of a destructive future, and an imaginary friend dressed as a rabbit. The plot of this film is hard to describe; it just is, and all the elements somehow come together at the end. Donnie Darko is a unique film. I can see why it became a cult item, because it is competently made and strange enough where it will only attract a small following. It's a good film, but it falls short from greatness; it is too strange to be completely compelling, but too unique to be totally ignored.

The original theatrical cut is one of my favourite films. On the flip side, the Director's Cut is utter, utter rubbish.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:21 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Donnie Darko

The original theatrical cut is one of my favourite films. On the flip side, the Director's Cut is utter, utter rubbish.

Agreed, too bad Richard Kelly followed it up with the complete disaster that was Southland Tales.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:23 pm
Second Unit Director

'Do the Right Thing' (Lee, 1989) **** out of ****
Some twenty years later and this film sadly remains far too relevant, but what an absolute joy it is to watch. Lee's brilliantly written screenplay comes fully to life with vibrant characters, lively direction and cinematography that remains fresh to this day. I still don't know why it took me so long to watch this.

'The Lords of Salem' (Zombie, 2013) ***.5 out of ****
I still quite pin down Zombie as a director. Corpses was total shit, Halloween was boring as shit and its sequel felt like a whiny, Sundance drama reimagining of its namesake. Here, however, he gives us his most intriguing film to date. Drawing influences from Carpenter and Argento, Zombie delves into a story of witchcraft that slow burns its way towards a chaotic finale while favoring an aural and visual approach to horror that unsettles far greater than his previous gore shows (and I've remained a Devil's Reject's supporter). You'll take the plot or leave it, but either way its hard to deny that Zombie could finally be brining out the true auteur in himself.

'Apollo 18' (Lopez-Gallego, 2011) * out of ****
Way to even try... beware of the moon rocks and this dull ass movie.

'The Tenant' (Polanski, 1976) ***.5 out of ****
A slow build of dread and paranoia, The Tenant is one of Polanski's most personal films. It's cold, dark and foreboding, with any and all of its humor blackly nihilistic. Its characters are forced to fend for themselves in a self centered world that consistently works against them but what solace is there in a cruel and selfish world when you begin to turn against yourself? An understated gem.

'The Collection' (Dunstan, 2012) * out of ****
What happens when a Saw franchise alum graduates and continues making movies? Not much apparently. Its not nearly as tastelessly offensive as those films but as both a scary movie and a gore flick this one is dull on arrival.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:08 pm
Producer

Amazingly, there were two 2011 movies I liked even less than Apollo 18: Your Highness and Dylan Dog: The Dead of Night, but Apollo 18 has them beat for sheer stupidity. I suspect Human Centipede 2 and Bucky Larson are even worse, but I'm never going to find out.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:11 pm
Director

This is the End (2013) - Funniest movie I've seen in a while. So many quotable and memorable moments. And the core story, what little there is, is surprisingly good and sweet too. 8/10

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:29 am
Producer

House of Games: A clever Mamet film about a psychiatrist who gets into studying con artists (partly because she suspects she is one herself) and gets deeply involved herself. It's a satisfying film with a great performance by Joe Mantegna and a pretty awful performance by Lindsay Crouse (who happened to be married to the director). Unfortunately, I had the major con figured out a half hour before the film ended, although we still had to have it all revealed in an awkward scene, which amounts to the psychiatrist falling for a con she has seen played out three times directly in front of her. The conclusion, though, is satisfying, and I enjoyed it despite wanting to scream, "Maggie, wake up!" Fortunately, she did. (9 of 10)

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:34 am
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
House of Games: A clever Mamet film about a psychiatrist who gets into studying con artists (partly because she suspects she is one herself) and gets deeply involved herself. It's a satisfying film with a great performance by Joe Mantegna and a pretty awful performance by Lindsay Crouse (who happened to be married to the director). Unfortunately, I had the major con figured out a half hour before the film ended, although we still had to have it all revealed in an awkward scene, which amounts to the psychiatrist falling for a con she has seen played out three times directly in front of her. The conclusion, though, is satisfying, and I enjoyed it despite wanting to scream, "Maggie, wake up!" Fortunately, she did. (9 of 10)

Yeah I couldn't give this a 9 out of 10 because Lindsay Crouse's performance is indeed so bad. I prefer the director's The Spanish Prisoner, though I did like House of Games too

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:29 am
Assistant Director

Shadow Dancer is a little 2012 British-Irish film directed by James Marsh. It follows Collette McVeigh (Andrea Riseborough), a single mother who happens to be a member of the IRA, along with his two brothers, in 1993 London. After a failed attack in London, Collette is captured by MI5 and questioned by Mac (Clive Owen), who offers her the choice to either cheat on her own family or lose her freedom and her son. The film is a slow-paced, psychological thriller/drama. Maybe it was a little too slow-paced for my tastes, but it was still a solid effort. The performances were good, and the plot still had a few twists under its sleeve despite its pace. Grade: B for now.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 652, 653 ... 818  Next