Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:56 am

Movies 2015 
Assistant Director

Post Movies 2015
The line up of films so far is uber awesome ( See the IMDB list) and I want to use this tread to keep track and see which actually are made in 2015. Justice League is gone but at this point replaced by Superman & Batman .

In tiers the movies 2015 that I am really interested to see are:

Tier 1 :Movies that I very likely see more than once in the Cinema

Bond 24: Sam Mendes is back directing after the highly successfull Skyfall. I know that Mendes would not care to come back if he doesn't think has a very good project in hand :-)

Avatar 2: James Cameron has a sequel reputation to defend (Aliens, Terminator 2) and a 3D industry to amaze again. He will come true again! A safe bet if you ask me lol

The Avengers 2: Hard to see Joss Whedon dropping the ball with this one

Superman & Batman: If Snyder (The Director and story writer) and David Goyer (The screen writer) got the message that they have to lift their game (in comparison of what they did with "Man of Steel") for this one, then it could be a massive hit (Over a billion in the box office)

Tier 2 : Movies that I will still see in the Cinema but no likely more than once
    Star Wars VII
    Fantastic Four Reboot
    Mission Impossible 5
    Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (If it is in 3D)

Tier 3 : Movies that I might see in the Cinema (Depending of reviews , in particularly Berardinelli)
    Hunger Games Final
    Hotel Transylvania 2
    Peanuts
    Finding Dory
    Die hardest

Tier 4: Movies that I might rent (if they are not badly rotten in the tomatometer
    Ant-Man
    The Magnificent seven
    Warcraft

Are you looking forward to 2015? and if you do which films do you fancy?

Cheers

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: Movies 2015
Most of the films look good, except for Pirates 5 which I hope bombs liek Lone Ranger.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:15 pm
Director

If anything, Pirates 5 is definitely more interesting with the foreign directors it got attached to. They did a sea adventure movie (Kon-Tiki) which from what I heard came off quite well for a low budget ($15 million), so I think they wouldn't quite overspend the money like current blockbusters, making it harder to bomb.

There are a lot of exciting movies coming out that year, but personally I'm looking forward the most to the final Hunger Games, if only to see if they will chicken out from the book's last one-third. I finished Mockingjay feeling hollowed, not having been this sucker-punched by a YA book since The Chocolate War (this comparison is not a spoiler). Will be very interesting to see the audience's reaction, and also how the filmmaker will do the movie without the R rating.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Auteur

What i'm wondering is how come everyone is on here is talking about 2015 but no one's said anything about 2014 yet?

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:57 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
What i'm wondering is how come everyone is on here is talking about 2015 but no one's said anything about 2014 yet?

The 2014 movie line up is not as impressive as 2015 , at least in my view :-)

Movies 2014

In fact , I think 2015 could be the best year ever for the industry (money wise) and if you like block busters as I do the for yourself too 8-)

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

I think both years have an impressive line-up.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:25 pm
Producer

Of course I'll see Bond 24. Won't see anything based on the works of Jack Kirby or Bill Finger. The apocalypse itself wouldn't keep me away from new Star Wars.

But the title on the list that really provokes my curiosity is Peanuts.

Please tell me it will be scored with the works of Vince Guaraldi.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:51 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Of course I'll see Bond 24. Won't see anything based on the works of Jack Kirby or Bill Finger. The apocalypse itself wouldn't keep me away from new Star Wars.

But the title on the list that really provokes my curiosity is Peanuts.

Please tell me it will be scored with the works of Vince Guaraldi.

It would be nice and I now some fans are demanding it but nothing concrete yet. Now, being Guaraldi long dead it does not help as movie scorers like to create new work rather than use old one.

Here you can read the facts so far about peanuts

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
The 2014 movie line up is not as impressive as 2015 , at least in my view :-)

Movies 2014

In fact , I think 2015 could be the best year ever for the industry (money wise) and if you like block busters as I do the for yourself too 8-)

This is what everyone is saying, but it's not necessarily gonna turn out that way. The kind of hype 2015 is getting has happened before. 2003, 2007, 2011, and even 2012 to name a few.

Avatar 2 probably won't be released in 2015. Pirates 5 will perform respectably but will pass through peoples minds in a heartbeat. There's still a very good chance Star Wars will be delayed a year, as I think we all know. I'm personally excited for Fantastic 4 and Ant Man, but doing anything better than modest business will be tough for them. MI5 is being done by a seat-holder director, so I'm sure it'll be lame. Avengers 2 is almost guaranteed to be not quite as popular as its predecessor, but then again Whedon could film a dry wall for 2.5 hours and fanboys would still like it, since that's what he did the first time. Superman/Batman and Bond 24 are the big ones for me. I'm only slightly nervous about Bond, but not really about Supe/Bat. Snyder is such an instinctive director that what you mostly get is just raw ability. You're either into that or you're not. I love it, so I'm sure I'll love the next one. But I think Ant-Man has the potential to be the most original movie of the year. I get chills trying to predict what Edgar Wright will do with the material.

But 2014 is certainly not lining up to be a limbo by any means. The conclusions to two action series which have been going on for more than a dozen years: Fast 7 and Resident Evil 6. Mark Wahlberg puts Transformers 4 on my list. There's X-Men: Days of Future Past which certainly has a buttload more potential than the previous three entries. There's Wes Anderson's Grand Hotel Budapest which is looking like it has potential to be his best movie yet. There's the three mysterious prestige projects; two of which, Transcendence and Interstellar, semi-intrigue me, one of which, Brad Bird's Tomorrowland, has me on the edge of my seat with curiosity. Not to mention all the stuff I don't care about but will make a load of cash anyway: 300, Spiderman, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, etc.

There's really only three 2015 releases that are practically guaranteed a billion. Really only two, Avengers and Supes, since Bond might come just shy of it. If Star Wars does manage to come out in 2015, it may be a fourth, but I'd bet you a lot of money it'll be the one to get delayed. Remember, Man of Steel was listed as December 2012 for a long time.

There's also some of my favorite action directors I'm looking forward to whose release dates haven't been announced. Brian Taylor's adaptation of the cult video game Twisted Metal. Mark Neveldine's exorcist movie, The Vatican Tapes. Olivier Megaton's underground cop and abduction movies. John Moore's Ice Truckers, which sounds like the perfect material for him. Taken 3, whenever that happens. And Wayne Kramer's Ecstasia, which sounds very A.I.-ish.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:16 am
Director

Looking past your predictably condescending and tiringly ignorant second paragraph, I think Vin Diesel said that Fast 7 isn't going to be last one (he teased out that it might be the beginning of a new trilogy). If the next Resident Evil is the last one (I have no idea or follow the news about this franchise) it might get me to check out the series.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:52 am
Director

Quote:
Looking past your predictably condescending and tiringly ignorant second paragraph

Ignorant of WHAT? And if my condescension is so predictable, why do you do me the honor of responding to it every time? I'll try to condescend in a more unique way next time.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:37 pm
Auteur

For 2014, i'm definitely excited for Fast 7, MI5, Resident Evil 6 and the Robocop remake.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:42 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
For 2014, i'm definitely excited for Fast 7, MI5, Resident Evil 6 and the Robocop remake.

If MI5 is Mission Impossible 5 then it is now dated for 2015

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Director

THe only ones I can say that I feel any enthusiasm for at this point are Bond 24 and the second Avengers. The SUperman/Batman collab I'm waiting on.

unwindfilms wrote:
Peanuts

Curious about that one.

Can't muster any enthusiasm for the Die Hard and Pirates movies. Both series I wish had ended at 3 when they were both obviously starting to run out of gas. The fifth Die Hard killed any enthusiasm for the series I once had. I still love the original and With a Vengenace is fun. In the case of Pirates, the 4th one made it obvious that they'd ran out of stories to tell with the original trilogy and the only reason for keeping the series going was money.

unwindfilms wrote:
The Magnificent seven

They're remaking The Magnificent Seven? Not surprising at all.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:21 am
Director

They're remaking Seven Samurai again, huh? Why not remake a bad movie with a good idea, rather than a film that can't possibly be improved upon?

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:26 am
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
They're remaking Seven Samurai again, huh? Why not remake a bad movie with a good idea, rather than a film that can't possibly be improved upon?

I didn't even like the original, so I can't see myself liking the remake any more.

Didn't know there were plans for another Die Hard film, I can't imagine where else the series can possibly go, unless Holly is going to be the one kicking ass this time around. I enjoyed the fifth film more then most people, so if there's another one i'll go for it.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:43 pm
Director

Well, we didn't have to wait long for the announcement that Avatar 2 is not, in fact, set for 2015, but for December 2016.

So that's one I got right so far. Now let's wait for the announcement that Star Wars Ep 7 will premiere May 2016.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:07 am
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Well, we didn't have to wait long for the announcement that Avatar 2 is not, in fact, set for 2015, but for December 2016.

So that's one I got right so far. Now let's wait for the announcement that Star Wars Ep 7 will premiere May 2016.

Cameron just hired an army of screen writers for the Avatar franchise lol

Quote:
He has hired screenwriters Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds), Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planet of the Apes), and Shane Salerno (Savages) to collaborate with him on the screenplays

As huge as it is supposed to be , the missing of Avatar 2 for 2015 will not dent the box office of 2015 by a significant much as it was to start on Christmas time. Now if Star Wars will be also missing then the expectation of a big 2015 (box office wise) will be truly in question mark.

Cheers

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Director

And it looks like Pirates 5 has been delayed.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/disney-pulls-pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-from-2015-calendar-1200606767/?_r=true

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 pm
Auteur

Hell yeah! :mrgreen: With any luck it will get canned altogether.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm