Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Which actors' deaths do you think will affect you greatly? 
Auteur

Post Re: Which actors' deaths do you think will affect you greatly?
p604 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
p604 wrote:
I offer Paris Hilton.
Uselessness personified

So her death would you affect you greatly in the opposite fashion (big party focused on pissing all over her grave)? Good idea, though calling her an "actress" would be a huge stretch.

Hello Ragnorok
It would be quite the opposite.
I would be completely indifferent.
I look at it this way. Statistically , 155,000 people have to die each year. Is it wrong to wish that Paris Hilton would replace one of those people. After all, one of those other people probably lead a more worthwhile and more deserving life.
I think Jordan said it best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RrBaeym4vg.

Personally I can think of much more deserving individuals then her, like Rick Perry for example.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:32 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Sean Connery
Robert de Niro
Meryl Streep
Jack Nicholson
(and I have to agree with Syd Henderson in an under 40 dying unnaturally, especially if they're really good and/or underappreciated. I wasn't really into movies when Heath Ledger died, and I'm sad that I didn't get to admire his career while he was alive.)

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Director

sunshineisles2 wrote:
(and I have to agree with Syd Henderson in an under 40 dying unnaturally, especially if they're really good and/or underappreciated. I wasn't really into movies when Heath Ledger died, and I'm sad that I didn't get to admire his career while he was alive.)

Even though she was over 40, Natasha Richardson probably gets my vote as all-time most tragic celebrity death, due to a) the flukish nature of what caused it, and b) because she never really got her due as an actress (especially in film), in no small part from having an already very famous mother (Vanessa Redgrave) AND husband (Liam Neeson).

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:18 pm
Cinematographer

Interesting, if admittedly depressing, question. I don't know if there is any actor today who, if they suddenly died, would provoke the same kind of devastated response I had earlier this year when Roger Ebert passed on. I suppose if I had to choose one actor, it would probably be Sean Connery. The impact will be lessened since he's already been offscreen for a good decade now, but as someone who grew up with James Bond, his death will still hit pretty hard,

Strangely though, I think I'll have more of a reaction to the deaths of the people working behind the cameras than those working in front of it. The death of Japanese animation director Satoshi Kon came and went a few years back, but I remember lamenting that loss quite a bit. In a similar vein, Hayao Miyazaki recently announced his retirement. Whether or not he is done making films after his latest work The Wind Rises remains to be seen, but I'll definitely be shaken up when he eventually goes. Woody Allen is another one that comes to mind, both for his work in front of and behind the camera.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
Director

The only time I've been affected by one so far was Leslie Nielsen. A great comic was lost.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 am
Producer

Any of the Star Trek actors. It sucks that we have already lost two of them! :(

And why would anybody celebrate anyone's death? Especially someone as ultimately inconsequential as Paris Hilton? I wouldn't celebrate the most evil person in the world's death. When Osama bin Laden died, I was not one of the people who celebrated. Don't get me wrong, the world is a better place without someone as evil as him. But I don't celebrate death. Death and misery and pain on anyone bring me no joy.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:47 am
Director

I was at work in the break room when I heard Paul Newman had died. They had large TVs overhead and one of them had CNN on and was showing it. I didn't cry. But I was saying "So sad. Why?" One of my co-workers says "He was old Jeff". Yeah. But it it was still sad.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:16 am
Cinematographer

ilovemovies wrote:
And why would anybody celebrate anyone's death? Especially someone as ultimately inconsequential as Paris Hilton? I wouldn't celebrate the most evil person in the world's death. When Osama bin Laden died, I was not one of the people who celebrated. Don't get me wrong, the world is a better place without someone as evil as him. But I don't celebrate death. Death and misery and pain on anyone bring me no joy.

There are people in this world who need or needed killing: Bin Laden, Stalin, Pol Pot, Amin, and for a more recent example, Joseph Kony in Uganda. Pissing on someone's grave isn't a "celebration"- it's a further expression of anger at a person whose life was a detriment to the rest of humanity. Paris Hilton is one such person if not in the same way as Osama Bin Laden, in that her "career" was basically about catering to the lowest elements in society and humanity as a whole. The world is better off without her.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:54 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

There are people in this world who need or needed killing: Bin Laden, Stalin, Pol Pot, Amin, and for a more recent example, Joseph Kony in Uganda. Pissing on someone's grave isn't a "celebration"- it's a further expression of anger at a person whose life was a detriment to the rest of humanity. Paris Hilton is one such person if not in the same way as Osama Bin Laden, in that her "career" was basically about catering to the lowest elements in society and humanity as a whole. The world is better off without her.

Well I personally don't think Paris is even worth getting angry about, so she's famous for being famous, big deal, there's way more important people much more noteworthy of hate then her.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 pm
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

1) I strongly disagree with your reasons that she deserves to die, is a detriment to the rest of the humanity. Please. She's about as inconsequential as it gets.

and

2) Your anger is being aimed at the wrong person. If you hate that someone like her is a celebrity, don't hate on her, hate on the people who make her a celebrity.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:37 am
Cinematographer

ilovemovies wrote:
1) I strongly disagree with your reasons that she deserves to die, is a detriment to the rest of the humanity. Please. She's about as inconsequential as it gets.

I didn't mean to say that Hilton deserved to die, just that the world will be better off when she does. I'll be perfectly willing to change my mind if she suddenly changes and gets her degree in pediatric medicine. I reserve the "need killing" label for people who are *actively* detrimental to the well-being of humanity, like Bin Laden.

ilovemovies wrote:
2) Your anger is being aimed at the wrong person. If you hate that someone like her is a celebrity, don't hate on her, hate on the people who make her a celebrity.

This is like saying that we should be hating on junkies and not drug dealers. I agree that there are underlying social causes that are behind the desire of people to read gossip or otherwise pay the slightest bit of attention to useless celebrities, but it doesn't take fault away from those who peddle such crap to begin with. The best solution IMO is a better standard of education for the U.S. and a better-informed public.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:39 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

I didn't mean to say that Hilton deserved to die, just that the world will be better off when she does. I'll be perfectly willing to change my mind if she suddenly changes and gets her degree in pediatric medicine. I reserve the "need killing" label for people who are *actively* detrimental to the well-being of humanity, like Bin Laden.

ilovemovies wrote:

This is like saying that we should be hating on junkies and not drug dealers. I agree that there are underlying social causes that are behind the desire of people to read gossip or otherwise pay the slightest bit of attention to useless celebrities, but it doesn't take fault away from those who peddle such crap to begin with. The best solution IMO is a better standard of education for the U.S. and a better-informed public.

Considering that hardly anyone even talks about Paris anymore, I don't see how her dying will automatically make things "better" I really don't get your comparison at all, I don't see what education has to do with any of this, plenty of other countries with better education also have celebs famous for doing absolutely nothing, and I don't see what being "informed" will do, people were going to buy the Paris tape regardless if they were informed or not.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:46 pm
Second Unit Director

I was watching QI last night. I then realised that i would be affected if Stephen fry were to die.
The man is a british institution.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:37 am