Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Vexer wrote:
I'm sorry, but the battle scenes did absolutely nothing for me, sure they had lots of flashy CGI and stuntwork, but with me not invested in any of the characters, I was unable to muster up any kind of excitement for them. It's not just acting I dislike, the characters overall came across as bland and unmemorable for me(that Gandalf scene did not come across as "heart-wrenching" for me in the least, I saw no reason to give a damn about him, the acting in the films overall was just too damn melodramatic for me in general, even more groan-inducing was the line in ROTK "I am no man!" :roll: ) so even having a better actor then Orlando Bloom wouldn't have helped much, sometimes it's better not to be truthful to the books all the time, and in the case of the dialogue, that was definitely something I would've changed. Also Harry Potter aside i'm not much of a fantasy person, the only reason I even saw those films in the first place is because my mom and sister love them so much, otherwise I would've never bothered watching them, i'm still completely mystified as to why everyone gushes over them, they just bore me to death, ROTK especially, the ending just went on and on and I was like "enough already!" So i'm sorry, but you will never in a million years convince me that the LOTR films are any good.

Vexer, let's just say we agree to disagree on this one. Are we cool, hombre?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:53 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I'm sorry, but the battle scenes did absolutely nothing for me, sure they had lots of flashy CGI and stuntwork, but with me not invested in any of the characters, I was unable to muster up any kind of excitement for them. It's not just acting I dislike, the characters overall came across as bland and unmemorable for me(that Gandalf scene did not come across as "heart-wrenching" for me in the least, I saw no reason to give a damn about him, the acting in the films overall was just too damn melodramatic for me in general, even more groan-inducing was the line in ROTK "I am no man!" :roll: ) so even having a better actor then Orlando Bloom wouldn't have helped much, sometimes it's better not to be truthful to the books all the time, and in the case of the dialogue, that was definitely something I would've changed. Also Harry Potter aside i'm not much of a fantasy person, the only reason I even saw those films in the first place is because my mom and sister love them so much, otherwise I would've never bothered watching them, i'm still completely mystified as to why everyone gushes over them, they just bore me to death, ROTK especially, the ending just went on and on and I was like "enough already!" So i'm sorry, but you will never in a million years convince me that the LOTR films are any good.

They're visually messy, narratively incoherent, produced without really being directed. Arbitrarily put together (as evidenced by the extended editions), the special effects already haven't aged well. The action is fairly static, even by the standards of 10 years ago. There's no adult themes or undercurrents to be found whatsoever. Definitely not a movie for adults. Everything in it is just too excessive and overdone. In short, I agree with you.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:03 pm

At the risk of repeating myself, I completely disagree with MGamesCook on every single point he has raised about the LOTR trilogy, just as I disagree with Vexer.

Anyways, on my list of movies that I hate with a passion, here is a sample:

(1) Billy Madison (1995). I have never understood the appeal of Adam Sandler, even during his heydays on Saturday Night Live -- I have always considered him to be a mediocre comedian at best, and hardly chuckled at most of his skits on that show. But after watching this film, I have come to DETEST Sandler; his character on this film is so damned obnoxious and irredeemably irritating that I wanted to hit him, shoot him or perform other acts of violence (btw, I'm often considered a very mild mannered person by those who know me). I have only seen a handful of other Sandler films and hated every single one of them, but this film is the WORST I've seen!

(2) Trigger Happy (original title "Mad Dog Time", 1996). You would think that a film that boasts a cast that includes the likes of Richard Dreyfuss, Gabriel Byrne, Ellen Barkin, Diane Lane and Jeff Goldblum should be at least watchable, but you would be wrong. Possibly the dullest, most boring film that has ever been made. Writer/director Larry Bishop (the son of Rat Pack member Joey Bishop, who has a cameo) tries to emulate the hip irony of Tarantino but fails miserably, resulting in lame, stilted dialogue that's just painful. A complete abomination! BTW, this was on Ebert's worst films list, and I COMPLETELY agree!

(3) Batman & Robin (1997). Hand it to Joel Schumacher for taking the Batman franchise started by Tim Burton and run it to the ground in this abomination of a movie. Lame and painful dialogue chockful of bad one-liners, shitty set design, horrible acting from virtually the entire cast, cheesy special effects (not to mention the travesty of sticking Batman with a Bat Credit Card, seriously). The ONLY redeeming feature of this film is that the failure of this film gave an opening for Warner Brothers to reboot the franchise with the brilliant Dark Knight trilogy by Nolan.

(4) Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987). This is the equivalent of "Batman & Robin" for the Superman franchise. Not even the best efforts of Christopher Reeve can save this horribly written and directed film, full of lame attempts at humour and with possibly the most ridiculous villain of all time -- yes, I'm talking about Nuclear Man. What a sad way for Reeve to end his turn as the great Kryptonian superhero.

(5) Armageddon (1998). Noisy and obnoxious, full of annoying one-dimensional stereotypes, with cringe-worthy dialogue (especially in the last scene where Bruce Willis is saying goodbye to his daughter over satellite), and laughable so-called science. Total crap of a film.

Last edited by StatGuy2000 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:33 pm
Auteur

I can agree with you on Billy Madison, I rewatched a few months ago and while it's not my most hated Sandler film(that would be The Waterboy), it was pretty bad and not really much better then I remembered it being. As far as Sandler films go, I personally prefer him in stuff like Bulletproof, Click, Just Go With It and Anger Management, where he's not so over-the-top.

I thought Mad Dog Time was OK, it was kinda dull at times, but the impressive cast kept me going so I couldn't really bring myself to hate it, personally though I find Taratino a wee bit overrated and I would watch Mad Dog Time over Django Unchained.

I quite enjoyed Batman And Robin for it's cheesy and over-the-top campy nature, but I fully understand why others hate it. For what it's worth Schumacher has apologized for the film multiple times, saying it was the producers that forced the Batman films in that direction(in his own words, they were "treating Batman like a giant toy commercial"). As a matter of fact he originally wanted to do an adaption of "Year One" but the studio rejected the idea, so he did Batman Forever instead, there were dark scenes that were removed from the film(like the opening prologue in Arkham Asylum with "the bat must die" written in blood on the walls, as well as most of the subplot with the journal of Bruce's parents). Personally I found Nolan's trilogy to be good but overrated by fans and critics.

Superman IV had a good idea for a plot, but unfortunately it didn't have the budget to pull it off in any meaningful way, for me the film was good for a few laughs and was considerably more watchable then Superman III, which was a complete farce with scene after scene of terrible, amateurish and unfunny comedy, the junkyard fight and Richard Pryor were the only reasons I didn't turn the film off.

Armageddon is my least favorite Michael Bay film next to Pearl Harbor, i'm not big on disaster films in general and there was just nothing remarkable about Armageddon, it had decent performances but not much excitement and was overall just too long for it's own good.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:51 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Armageddon is my least favorite Michael Bay film next to Pearl Harbor, i'm not big on disaster films in general and there was just nothing remarkable about Armageddon, it had decent performances but not much excitement and was overall just too long for it's own good.

Pearl Harbor imo is a LOT worse than Armageddon. I had trouble getting through all of Pearl Harbor (my policy of never walking out/switching off a movie I have started watching was severely tested) - it was mind-numbingly awful on every level. Armageddon I could actually appreciate at a dumb-fun level - there isn't a whole lot to despise there, if you watch it as a cheesy B-grade throwaway pop-corn flick.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:53 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Pearl Harbor imo is a LOT worse than Armageddon. I had trouble getting through all of Pearl Harbor (my policy of never walking out/switching off a movie I have started watching was severely tested) - it was mind-numbingly awful on every level. Armageddon I could actually appreciate at a dumb-fun level - there isn't a whole lot to despise there, if you watch it as a cheesy B-grade throwaway pop-corn flick.

The best thing I can say about Pearl Harbor is that i'd rather sit through it then Titanic.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:08 am
Director

I actually think The Rock is almost as bad as Pearl Harbor.

I think the director some critics portray Michael Bay as being is really the director he used to be. I think he's been improving steadily ever since The Island. He's found the right avenues for his style.

Ditto to Paul W.S. Anderson, whose early work I won't defend (not a Mortal Kombat fan).

Titanic is something I would defend in nostalgia only. I watched it a lot when I was a little kid. But I haven't watched it in years, and if I did, it'll probably be pretty hard to sit through.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:32 am
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
I actually think The Rock is almost as bad as Pearl Harbor.

I think the director some critics portray Michael Bay as being is really the director he used to be. I think he's been improving steadily ever since The Island. He's found the right avenues for his style.

Ditto to Paul W.S. Anderson, whose early work I won't defend (not a Mortal Kombat fan).

Titanic is something I would defend in nostalgia only. I watched it a lot when I was a little kid. But I haven't watched it in years, and if I did, it'll probably be pretty hard to sit through.

Yeah I really get annoyed when people talk about The Rock as if it's light years better than the rest of Bay's output

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:28 am

StatGuy2000 wrote:
(3) Batman & Robin (1997). Hand it to Joel Schumacher for taking the Batman franchise started by Tim Burton and run it to the ground in this abomination of a movie. Lame and painful dialogue chockful of bad one-liners, shitty set design, horrible acting from virtually the entire cast, cheesy special effects (not to mention the travesty of sticking Batman with a Bat Credit Card, seriously). The ONLY redeeming feature of this film is that the failure of this film gave an opening for Warner Brothers to reboot the franchise with the brilliant Dark Knight trilogy by Nolan.

I actually think Batman and Robin contains some of Arnie's best acting. He's completely at ease with his character, without any of the woodenness present in most of his previous roles.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:38 am
Director

Quote:
Yeah I really get annoyed when people talk about The Rock as if it's light years better than the rest of Bay's output

In terms of casting, it's just kind of a weird movie.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:43 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:

A combination of the kindness of memory and the early failure to realize that this kind of crap was all Mr. Bay would ever have to offer, methinks.

Sometimes, it takes a director's later oeuvre to shed light on the strengths and weaknesses present in all his or her work. I'm thinking not just of Bay, but of guys like Lucas, Spielberg, Coppola, etc... you know. The Big Guys.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:43 am

Vexer wrote:
I can agree with you on Billy Madison, I rewatched a few months ago and while it's not my most hated Sandler film(that would be The Waterboy), it was pretty bad and not really much better then I remembered it being. As far as Sandler films go, I personally prefer him in stuff like Bulletproof, Click, Just Go With It and Anger Management, where he's not so over-the-top.

I thought Mad Dog Time was OK, it was kinda dull at times, but the impressive cast kept me going so I couldn't really bring myself to hate it, personally though I find Taratino a wee bit overrated and I would watch Mad Dog Time over Django Unchained.

I quite enjoyed Batman And Robin for it's cheesy and over-the-top campy nature, but I fully understand why others hate it. For what it's worth Schumacher has apologized for the film multiple times, saying it was the producers that forced the Batman films in that direction(in his own words, they were "treating Batman like a giant toy commercial"). As a matter of fact he originally wanted to do an adaption of "Year One" but the studio rejected the idea, so he did Batman Forever instead, there were dark scenes that were removed from the film(like the opening prologue in Arkham Asylum with "the bat must die" written in blood on the walls, as well as most of the subplot with the journal of Bruce's parents). Personally I found Nolan's trilogy to be good but overrated by fans and critics.

Superman IV had a good idea for a plot, but unfortunately it didn't have the budget to pull it off in any meaningful way, for me the film was good for a few laughs and was considerably more watchable then Superman III, which was a complete farce with scene after scene of terrible, amateurish and unfunny comedy, the junkyard fight and Richard Pryor were the only reasons I didn't turn the film off.

Hey Vexer. I have actually seen Schumacher's public apology with regards to Batman & Robin on Youtube, and I do give credit to him for that (not many directors I can think of have done this for any of their productions), and to be fair, Warner Brothers probably should take more of the blame for the direction in which Batman Forever and Batman & Robin took. For what it's worth, I actually think Schumacher is a talented director; I really liked Lost Boys and Phone Booth, for example.

I completely agree with you about Superman III -- it was a complete farce and I hated it almost as much as Superman IV (that film slipped my mind when compiling my most hated list). The only reason I liked Superman III slightly better than Superman IV was precisely the junkyard fight scene between Clark Kent and evil Superman and Richard Pryor (although admittedly Pryor didn't have much to work with, despite top billing).

Never seen Pearl Harbor so can't comment.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:24 am
Producer

Wow. Needless to say, I totally disagree with the last few comments about The Rock.

I use to love Michael Bay. In the 90's, he ruled. I liked Bad Boys and loved The Rock and Armageddon. But afterwards, he became uneven, hit or miss.

Pearl Harbor - a decent guilty pleasure and I will say the actual attack scene around the 90 minute mark is a virtuoso piece of filmmaking. But it's also rather silly when you have Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett playing chicken with the Japanese. Also, the movie is pretty shallow. The chemistry is at best just okay. Again, I enjoy the movie as a guilty pleasure, but I also recognize that it's not very good when looked at seriously.

Bad Boys II - Hugely enjoyable and very funny at times but it is seriously hampered by an extremely bloated running length. Jesus, this thing is too long by a good 30 to 45 minutes.

The Island - Great first half, but stupid third act. I really loved the early portions on the island. This was really shaping up to be Bay's best film yet. Once Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor escape the island, it's not as good but still enjoyable. It's when they are captured and get back on the island where the movie goes downhill and it becomes so silly and lame. Disappointing.

Transformers - Ugh. Bad writing, some good actors giving bad performances (I'm looking at you John Turturro), lame attempts at humor. All of which could have been forgiven if the movie had delivered on the action. But it doesn't. Was the action awesome? I wish I could tell you but I can't because I couldn't see a damn thing thanks to the camera shaking all over the place. Oh and we all know Michael Bay loves his fast edits and quickcuts. Add those two things together and the movie ended up being a real eyesore.

Transformers 2 - A marginal improvement over the first one but still suffers from many of the same flaws as the original. The shaky cam is still there though thankfully it's not as bad. Some of the action is fantastic. But the movie is too long, there are still lame attempts at humor (like everyone else, I hated those two annoying little transformers). I don't hate it as much as most, and I do think it's a slight improvement on the first one. But still so-so.

Fortunately, Michael Bay's last two movies have gotten back to being pretty good. I actually liked Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Easily the best of the Transformers movies. It's dumb as dirt but hugely entertaining. Also, because Michael Bay was filming the movie in 3D it actually forced him to calm down on his fast edits which meant the camera actually focused on something for more than just 2 seconds at a time! And Pain & Gain is one of the most messed up movies I have ever seen but also enjoyable in a really messed kind of way. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. And while it has a slick look to it, but it's extremely well crafted that also doesn't over do it with the fast edits that use to be typical of Bay.

I still like Bay of the 90's more, but if he can continue to grow as a filmmaker like he has with Pain & Gain, then yes, maybe he has improved. But The Rock is definitely my favorite movie of Bay's and likely will forever be. The chemistry between Connery and Cage alone make it that great. But you also have some great action, a GREAT performance from Ed Harris in a bad guy role that is more grey, not as black and white and more complex than what we usually get for these kinds of movies.

Also regarding Paul WS Anderson, seriously? I enjoyed Death Race but again, his best movie BY FAR is Event Horizon, one of his earlier works. It certainly beats the heck out of all the Resident Evil movies put together and then some.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:36 am
Director

Quote:
Fortunately, Michael Bay's last two movies have gotten back to being pretty good. I actually liked Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Easily the best of the Transformers movies. It's dumb as dirt but hugely entertaining. Also, because Michael Bay was filming the movie in 3D it actually forced him to calm down on his fast edits which meant the camera actually focused on something for more than just 2 seconds at a time! And Pain & Gain is one of the most messed up movies I have ever seen but also enjoyable in a really messed kind of way. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. And while it has a slick look to it, but it's extremely well crafted that also doesn't over do it with the fast edits that use to be typical of Bay.

Hmm. Actually Transformers 3 has grown on me a lot. It's a solid movie in 2D. The first Transformers is the most pretentious of the three, but Bay has started to let go of some of those cliches.

Quote:
Also regarding Paul WS Anderson, seriously? I enjoyed Death Race but again, his best movie BY FAR is Event Horizon, one of his earlier works. It certainly beats the heck out of all the Resident Evil movies put together and then some.

Event Horizon is pretty scary, but some of its set pieces feel a little hollow. I think he's improved at handling set pieces over time. I enjoy his action. I think he still has room to improve in certain areas. And he could take things a little bit further sometimes in terms of adult subject matter and provocation. There's times when he comes across as a watered-down Zack Snyder. I wouldn't mind seeing him try the grittier Death Race style again somewhere down the road.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:31 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

A combination of the kindness of memory and the early failure to realize that this kind of crap was all Mr. Bay would ever have to offer, methinks.

Sometimes, it takes a director's later oeuvre to shed light on the strengths and weaknesses present in all his or her work. I'm thinking not just of Bay, but of guys like Lucas, Spielberg, Coppola, etc... you know. The Big Guys.

That's a good explanation, but I also think that ilovemovies has made a good point when he writes that Nic Cage and Sean Connery make the difference. Although I actually don't really like 'The Rock' much - a mediocre action movie at best - Connery's charisma and screen presence (which he also brings to "The Untouchables", for instance) and Cage's trademark intensity work very well in this movie. As for other Michael Bay movies - the less said about them the better. ('The Island' is okay, though.)

The only movie I truly hate - bit of a strong term for disliking a movie - is the French arthouse monstrosity 'Baise-Moi'. I rented it for a DVD evening with friends, expecting an edgy Euro-version of 'Thelma & Louise' and having to justify my choice of movie within a few minutes after it transpired that it was a vile pseudo-feminist rape-revenge movie featuring, amongst other terrible scenes, close-ups of unsimulated penetration during a gang rape. How this was rated "16" is beyond me - someone at the rating's board must have thought that "French arthouse movie" equals artistic merit. Before anybody should get interested in this movie, which nearly made me write an angry letter to the rating board: it is also poorly made and without any plot or stor of interest.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:44 am
Auteur

I enjoyed Baise-Moi, but I can totally see why you and others would hate it, personally I thought it was a really powerful and compelling film.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:10 pm
Assistant Director

The Sound of Music AND Mary Poppins. While I realise I'm not exactly the target audience for these films at this point, I actually HATED both these films as a child. Further, they are strictly speaking "family films", which should then at least also be 'watchable' as an adult. However, having seen both again a number of years ago, I found I STILL hated them! These two, for me at least, are wholly unwatchable. The sugary sweetness, the hammy acting, the terrible cheesy songs, the horrible children, Julie Andrews... yep "Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion", right there.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:52 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
The Sound of Music AND Mary Poppins. While I realise I'm not exactly the target audience for these films at this point, I actually HATED both these films as a child. Further, they are strictly speaking "family films", which should then at least also be 'watchable' as an adult. However, having seen both again a number of years ago, I found I STILL hated them! These two, for me at least, are wholly unwatchable. The sugary sweetness, the hammy acting, the terrible cheesy songs, the horrible children, Julie Andrews... yep "Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion", right there.

I watched MP quite a bit as a kid, don't really have the same enthusiasm for it anymore, I completely agree with ou on Sound Of Music, I detest musicals in general, I also hated Chicago and all versions of Phantom Of The Opera

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm
Producer

I don't hate The Sound of Music, though I do find it to be rather mediocre.

Marry Poppins, on the other hand, is a great musical/family flick!

Now you want to know a musical that I can't stand? A couple. First there is Hello Dolly starring Barbara Streisand and Walter Matthau. And also West Side Story. HATE that movie!

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:40 am
Director

I've got another one: The Sex and the City movies. Why in God's name would you release these movies, which orgasm all over high-end fashion and materialistic characters, during the Great Recession? Hell, even releasing them now would be unbelievably offensive to so many who are struggling.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:10 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next