Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:56 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
It's one thing to go back and discover that a movie you loved as a child is really pretty bad -- I'm looking at you, Little Giants -- but it's another when you were already well into your cinematic maturity when you made an inexplicable judgment of a film. We've all got films that we misjudged, over-esteemed or underrated, and they often make for good stories. So let's hear em.

As always, please remember that giving explanation makes everything much more interesting for readers. Now, to come clean:

...I gave Raging Bull 2.5 stars.

Admittedly, I still don't think it's entirely great, and I still think my beef with the movie is legitimate (Jake LaMotta is presented as such a cockroach that I couldn't empathize with him, which made the movie directionless since I didn't have a rooting interest) but there's no question that I look back in shame when I see that in the same month I gave The Perfect Score (in which Chris Evans and Scarlett Johannson conspire to steal the SAT exam) a higher grade than Raging Bull.

...I gave Les Miserables (1998) 4 stars

Admittedly I changed this one quickly, but I still feel dumb. I love the book's story so much that I was like "Oh, well it's a great story and they did a fine job telling it, so four stars, right? My bad.

...Do the Right Thing struck me as a 2 star film

I think, in retrospect, that a lot of my problems with the film were actually with various reviewers whose opinions I disagreed with. The film itself is challenging and expertly-made, and while some of my problems with the film's characterizations remain, this is a film I've thought about more than many others.

...I thought Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was 1.5(!) star worthy

What can I say? I was a burgeoning movie buff but a cynical sophomore, and the Capra-corn just overwhelmed me. When I watched it again, I realized that there is indeed a fair helping of corn (Jimmy Stewart wants that land for innocent children!) but underneath it there's so much cruelty, so much jaded anguish that I can't believe I missed it the first time. I now would give it a full 2 extra stars!

Alright now I've come clean. For now. What do you guys have?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:50 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
JamesKunz wrote:
(Jake LaMotta is presented as such a cockroach that I couldn't empathize with him, which made the movie directionless since I didn't have a rooting interest)

Image

Look at that. Look at how sad you've just made him.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
(Jake LaMotta is presented as such a cockroach that I couldn't empathize with him, which made the movie directionless since I didn't have a rooting interest)

Image

Look at that. Look at how sad you've just made him.


Well maybe he should have HAD SOME REDEEMING CHARACTERISTICS NOW SHOULDN'T HE HAVE?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:26 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3993
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
I agree with your original assessment of Mr. Smith, i'm not at all a fan of Frank Capra, his films are far too sentimental for my tastes.

Anyways I don't really have too many films where my opinion has changed all that much, the closest I can think of is Jaws IV, I was young when I first saw it so I didn't really notice the flaws(exploding shark scene at the end aside) and quite enjoyed it, but upon rewatching it several years later, I found it to be average at best.


Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:37 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 262
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
A Clockwork Orange

I don't know if I gave it a star rating or not but my initial assessment was around 3 stars.

Rewatched the other day and have to say that I was way too kind. As was Ebert in his review of it when he gave it 2 stars. This turd probably only deserves 1 maybe 1.5 if I was being generous. Definitely Kuberick's most pretentious motion picture. The philosophy of the film is based on the absurd idea of free will but you know a really good way to take away someone's free will (if it does indeed exist) beside psychological conditioning? Raping and killing them.

Also, the cinematography seemed even more distracting this time around with Kuberick constantly shouting "look at what I can do with wide angles while allowing me to cram this metaphorical distortion down your throat!" Definitely one of the worst directed films of all time.

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 413
Location: Durham, NC
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
James!! Raging Bull?!? Well, I guess I have absolutely no room to talk:

I pretty much hated Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it. I didn't get it. The "Pawn Shop" sequence was just simply repulsive, and its all i could associate with the word "Pulp Fiction." After I finished the film i I remember asking myself " What was that crap?" and "Why does everyone love this so much?" Of course that was early in my film watching days, I hadn't truly grasped cinema and my mind was like Robin William's Flubber. After a re-watch several months later everything clicked, but I still have to look in the mirror every day and think, "You bastard, you hated Pulp Fiction when you first watched it."

The Wages of Fear initially left me dissatisfied. The first half of the film injected mass amounts of boredom through my bones. By the time the film was into the second half I had totally lost interest, yet how could I? The second half of this film presents viewers with some of the best tension in the history of film (arguably). When I finally re-watched The Wages of Fear I accepted the first half for all of its shortcomings, and was completely riveted by the second half of the film. The first half still bothered me, but the second made up for quite a bit.

More recently, David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...Lets just say that I was pretty annoyed with the whole idea of this remake. I considered myself a purist to the original trilogy (even if I more or less didn't care much for the second and third entries), so when I went to see this film I was eager to rip it apart. And thats exactly what I did--2 stars all the way. I nitpicked this, and nitpicked that and complained about certain characterization, but overall it was just blind, unjustified hate. Once my university had the film at the student theater I decided to give it a fair viewing. Ultimately I realized that Fincher's version was just a different interpretation, and with some hesitation I had to admit that I quite enjoyed it.

_________________
"I have now come to claim that satisfaction."


Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 555
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
JackBurns wrote:
More recently, David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...Lets just say that I was pretty annoyed with the whole idea of this remake. I considered myself a purist to the original trilogy (even if I more or less didn't care much for the second and third entries), so when I went to see this film I was eager to rip it apart. And thats exactly what I did--2 stars all the way. I nitpicked this, and nitpicked that and complained about certain characterization, but overall it was just blind, unjustified hate. Once my university had the film at the student theater I decided to give it a fair viewing. Ultimately I realized that Fincher's version was just a different interpretation, and with some hesitation I had to admit that I quite enjoyed it.

I see this remake the same way I saw the remake of another good Swedish film (Let The Right One In): good in its own right, but not one that I was compelled to see because the original was more than good enough.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:31 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
JamesKunz wrote:
Well maybe he should have HAD SOME REDEEMING CHARACTERISTICS NOW SHOULDN'T HE HAVE?

He's basically a slice of the irredeemable beast in all of us. Yeah, it's not pretty, but there's a lot of humanity to it and it took everybody involved a lot of balls to admit it and commit to it.

Anyway, back on topic: as an inveterate non-rater, I feel that my hands are quite clean.

PERHAPS YOU SHOULD ALL WATCH RAGING BULL AND LEARN HOW TERRIBLE YOU ARE INSIDE.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:26 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Well maybe he should have HAD SOME REDEEMING CHARACTERISTICS NOW SHOULDN'T HE HAVE?

He's basically a slice of the irredeemable beast in all of us. Yeah, it's not pretty, but there's a lot of humanity to it and it took everybody involved a lot of balls to admit it and commit to it.

Anyway, back on topic: as an inveterate non-rater, I feel that my hands are quite clean.

PERHAPS YOU SHOULD ALL WATCH RAGING BULL AND LEARN HOW TERRIBLE YOU ARE INSIDE.


Yeah but even without literal ratings I'm sure Ken there are some movies that you regret your opinion of. Come down off that high horse!

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:25 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
JackBurns wrote:
James!! Raging Bull?!? Well, I guess I have absolutely no room to talk:

I pretty much hated Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it. I didn't get it. The "Pawn Shop" sequence was just simply repulsive, and its all i could associate with the word "Pulp Fiction." After I finished the film i I remember asking myself " What was that crap?" and "Why does everyone love this so much?" Of course that was early in my film watching days, I hadn't truly grasped cinema and my mind was like Robin William's Flubber. After a re-watch several months later everything clicked, but I still have to look in the mirror every day and think, "You bastard, you hated Pulp Fiction when you first watched it."

The Wages of Fear initially left me dissatisfied. The first half of the film injected mass amounts of boredom through my bones. By the time the film was into the second half I had totally lost interest, yet how could I? The second half of this film presents viewers with some of the best tension in the history of film (arguably). When I finally re-watched The Wages of Fear I accepted the first half for all of its shortcomings, and was completely riveted by the second half of the film. The first half still bothered me, but the second made up for quite a bit.

More recently, David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...Lets just say that I was pretty annoyed with the whole idea of this remake. I considered myself a purist to the original trilogy (even if I more or less didn't care much for the second and third entries), so when I went to see this film I was eager to rip it apart. And thats exactly what I did--2 stars all the way. I nitpicked this, and nitpicked that and complained about certain characterization, but overall it was just blind, unjustified hate. Once my university had the film at the student theater I decided to give it a fair viewing. Ultimately I realized that Fincher's version was just a different interpretation, and with some hesitation I had to admit that I quite enjoyed it.


Good for you for coming clean with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. We've all been there. But I still think the first half of The Wages of Fear is dreadfully boring. That's one of the reasons I think Sorcerer is a worth remake -- they clean up the first hour a lot

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:27 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
JamesKunz wrote:
Yeah but even without literal ratings I'm sure Ken there are some movies that you regret your opinion of. Come down off that high horse!

NEVER.

Well, there are some movies that I was reflexively contrarian on. I stand by the impulse and the criteria, but admit that my zeal may have affected the degree to which I stated my case.

Several of them have "Star Wars" in the title.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:41 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2307
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
When Van Helsing first came out, I actually liked it. I thought it was cheesy but fun. I watched the movie again some time ago, and I can't believe I ever liked it. Wow, what a horrible movie.


Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:41 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1616
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
JackBurns wrote:
I pretty much hated Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it. I didn't get it. The "Pawn Shop" sequence was just simply repulsive, and its all i could associate with the word "Pulp Fiction." After I finished the film i I remember asking myself " What was that crap?" and "Why does everyone love this so much?" Of course that was early in my film watching days, I hadn't truly grasped cinema and my mind was like Robin William's Flubber. After a re-watch several months later everything clicked, but I still have to look in the mirror every day and think, "You bastard, you hated Pulp Fiction when you first watched it."


I didn't hate Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it. However when I was deciding on a movie to see that day it wasn't my first choice. It was my third. My first two choices were that Stallone wankfest The Specialist and the Jean Claude Van Damme vehicle TImecop. My father and I were planning to go together and he said he had no interest in either of those. So I said "Pulp Fiction" and he said okay. I ended up loving it. Saw The Specialist and Timecop later and found myself grateful Pulp was the one I'd seen instead of those two. Today Pulp is one of my all-time favorites while the other two I've managed to erase many of the details from my mind.

I kinda overpraised Independence Day when I first saw it at 17. Saw it during its original theatrical run and rated it as one fo the best popcorn movies I'd seen. Went on to watch it many times. A while back I was compiling a list of the 10 best movies of 1996 and offered the following assessment for why it wasn't on the list:

Quote:
Independence Day? Loved it then. Find it mildly diverting today. But it does not hold up very well at all.


I'd still rather watch it then say Transformers. But the 1996 summer blockbuster that made it on to that list, a list I compiled with 17 years hindsight, is The Rock.

Two comedies, Dumb and Dumber and Scary Movie. Found both to be hilarious when I saw em (watched DUmb and Dumber on videoptape at sixteen, saw Scary Movie during its theatrical run). A few years ago I re-watched both and found myself stone faced. Dumb and Dumber could be explained by the simple fact that a lot of the stuff I found funny at 16 was not funny to me at 32-33. Scary Movie's downfall could be attributed to the ever worsening sequels, an on-going number of awful parody movies (IE: Meet The Spartans) and the simple fact that much of the humor in it was cluttered with early 2000s pop culture references that no longer work that well. Jokes about Puff Daddy and the Budweiser frogs simply don't have the same bite when removed from the context of the 1999-2000 era.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:57 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1799
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
Jake LaMotta on how he was portrayed in Raging Bull:

"It was completely true. I was a no-good son of a bitch."

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:05 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
Jeff Wilder wrote:
JackBurns wrote:
I pretty much hated Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it. I didn't get it. The "Pawn Shop" sequence was just simply repulsive, and its all i could associate with the word "Pulp Fiction." After I finished the film i I remember asking myself " What was that crap?" and "Why does everyone love this so much?" Of course that was early in my film watching days, I hadn't truly grasped cinema and my mind was like Robin William's Flubber. After a re-watch several months later everything clicked, but I still have to look in the mirror every day and think, "You bastard, you hated Pulp Fiction when you first watched it."


I didn't hate Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it. However when I was deciding on a movie to see that day it wasn't my first choice. It was my third. My first two choices were that Stallone wankfest The Specialist and the Jean Claude Van Damme vehicle TImecop. My father and I were planning to go together and he said he had no interest in either of those. So I said "Pulp Fiction" and he said okay. I ended up loving it. Saw The Specialist and Timecop later and found myself grateful Pulp was the one I'd seen instead of those two. Today Pulp is one of my all-time favorites while the other two I've managed to erase many of the details from my mind.

I kinda overpraised Independence Day when I first saw it at 17. Saw it during its original theatrical run and rated it as one fo the best popcorn movies I'd seen. Went on to watch it many times. A while back I was compiling a list of the 10 best movies of 1996 and offered the following assessment for why it wasn't on the list:

Quote:
Independence Day? Loved it then. Find it mildly diverting today. But it does not hold up very well at all.


I'd still rather watch it then say Transformers. But the 1996 summer blockbuster that made it on to that list, a list I compiled with 17 years hindsight, is The Rock.

Two comedies, Dumb and Dumber and Scary Movie. Found both to be hilarious when I saw em (watched DUmb and Dumber on videoptape at sixteen, saw Scary Movie during its theatrical run). A few years ago I re-watched both and found myself stone faced. Dumb and Dumber could be explained by the simple fact that a lot of the stuff I found funny at 16 was not funny to me at 32-33. Scary Movie's downfall could be attributed to the ever worsening sequels, an on-going number of awful parody movies (IE: Meet The Spartans) and the simple fact that much of the humor in it was cluttered with early 2000s pop culture references that no longer work that well. Jokes about Puff Daddy and the Budweiser frogs simply don't have the same bite when removed from the context of the 1999-2000 era.


Agreed about Scary Movie, which I loved the shit out of at the time. In fairness to us, I think both Ebert and JB gave it a solid ***

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:26 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3993
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
I was never that big on Dumb And Dumber(though I am interested in the upcoming sequel) but I still do like Scary Movie to this day.


Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 373
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
Dumb and Dumber is still the funniest movie ever made. I could put it on mute and get 99% of all the dialogue (even proper placement of articles and stuff), but I'm a little out of practice now. I also still like Independence Day, and am guaranteed to watch it every july.

I used to really like Superman 3 and 4 as a kid...Wow...talk about terrible.


Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:43 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:04 pm
Posts: 46
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
Two that come to mind right now (mainly because I saw these films again recently):

I rated Armageddon as a 4 star movie. I remember feeling so emotional that I needed a walk around a park after the showing. I recently saw it and was horrified I had those emotions for this film. A long drawn out sappy ending and the scene when he presses the bomb and both father and daughter "connect" is so laughable bad...I'm so embarrassed. The movie on the whole is still a good movie, but no 4 star at all.

I thought As Good As It Gets was incredibly boring and awarded it 2 stars. But seeing it a few times again, I think it's a wonderful piece of work with stellar performances by Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt. I would give it 3.5 stars now.


Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:03 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1799
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
The first time I saw the horror film Deathdream (aka Dead of Night), I remember not liking it very much. Recently, I rewatched it and found it to be much better than my initial assessment. I think my opinion changed because the first time I saw it, I was at a midnight show where they usually played fun, goofy films. Deathdream is not like that, and I think that since I was expecting something different, I walked away disappointed. Now I still think the film has some pacing issues, but it is a fine horror film and deserves to be more widely seen.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:50 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6487
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movie Ratings You've Subsequently Regretted
gkanchan wrote:
Two that come to mind right now (mainly because I saw these films again recently):

I rated Armageddon as a 4 star movie. I remember feeling so emotional that I needed a walk around a park after the showing. I recently saw it and was horrified I had those emotions for this film. A long drawn out sappy ending and the scene when he presses the bomb and both father and daughter "connect" is so laughable bad...I'm so embarrassed. The movie on the whole is still a good movie, but no 4 star at all.
.


Yeah I'm pretty embarrassed there for you, buddy

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:22 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr