Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Anybody attending this year's TIFF? 
Second Unit Director

Post Anybody attending this year's TIFF?
Hi everyone. I was wondering if any of you will be attending this year's Toronto International Film Festival (JB had already replied back to me saying he won't be this year). Since I live in Toronto, I might catch up a couple of films with rush tickets.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:40 am
Director

Post Re: Anybody attending this year's TIFF?
Jonathan Glazer's new film "Under the Skin" is screening there.

sounds pretty out there:

Quote:
Scarlett Johansson stars as a woman who falls to Earth — Scotland, to be precise — in “Under the Skin,” an undeniably ambitious but ultimately torpid and silly tale of an alien on the prowl in human clothing that marks the long-awaited third feature by “Sexy Beast” director Jonathan Glazer (nine years after butting heads with New Line over his very fine Nicole Kidman vehicle “Birth”). Very loosely based on Michael Faber’s acclaimed 2001 novel, here reduced nearly to the point of abstraction, the pic strenuously attempts to show us the world through “alien eyes” but ends up seeming rather like a feature-length “Candid Camera” show where, instead of being punk’d, contestants get swallowed up by a mass of intergalactic goo. The sort of movie that might have worked better as a gallery installation one could enter and exit at will, “Skin” is outre enough to amass a small coterie of defenders, though commercial distributors won’t be chief among them.

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/un ... 200593111/

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:28 pm
Director

Been reading some of critics' twitters of TIFF (with Noel Murray, formerly at AV Club, now of The Dissolve, in particular). In the first two days, 12 Years a Slave seems to generate the most buzz. I also like this twitter summation: "12 Years a Slave is more profound, Gravity is more awe-inspiring, but Can a Song Save Your Life? is a pure joy." I saw after looking at the last movie's info that it's from the guy who did Once, so that is definitely on my radar now.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:23 am
Critic

It's one of my dreams to go, but since I'm a teacher, it'll essentially never happen

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:33 pm
Auteur

There was one chapter of Kevin Murphy's book "A Year At The Movies" where he details how he somehow managed to sneak in to TIFF.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:07 pm
Director

I went with my mom in 2001, just a few months before my 18th birthday. She emailed JB to see if we could meet, but we ultimately couldn't make it happen. While there, I saw the world premiere of Training Day, and I also sat two rows back from Ethan Hawke and Richard Linklater for Tape. I also saw Hearts in Atlantis and Novocaine, which I enjoyed as well.

And yes, we left before 9/11, on the 9th to be precise. Thank God we left when we did, otherwise we'd be stuck for a while.

I WILL go back in 2014. I say some of us should band together and go. It's a movie-lover's badge of honor.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:33 pm
Cinematographer

One of these days I'd love to plan a trip to a major film festival. Toronto is a long ways away, but I could maybe manage Sundance.

Toronto this year has given me several titles to look forward to that hadn't really sparked my interest before. Gravity I've already been anticipating, but Under The Skin sounds really intriguing, as does Jim Jarmusch's vampire film Only Lovers Left Alive.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

I have been going every year for the last 6 years.
Saw 4 films this year, my lowest total since I started going since I was out of town for most of the festival.

12 Years a Slave - Intense. Difficult. These are the kinds of words I would use to describe this stunning film. Its not a movie you want to watch, but a movie everyone should watch. People in the audience could be heard gasping or uttering words of disbelief throughout the film - it was clearly having an impact on people. The depictions of whipping were as graphic as The Passion of the Christ. I wouldn't be surprised to see this movie on the awards scene this year.

Around the Block - Australian movie starring Christina Ricci as an American high school teacher who gets a job teaching inner-city aboriginal kids in Sydney. The movie is centered around Hamlet as the kids in the school are performing it while the main kid character is living his own Hamlet in parallel. Good movie overall, strong second half, but I didn't believe Ricci in the role.

Lucky Them - Toni Collette stars as a music journalist who has to try and track down a lost musician that she used to date and who disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Its a dramedy - Thomas Haden Church stars as her friend/partner and he is absolutely hilarious in the role. He pretty much stole the movie. Its well worth seeing!

Sunshine on Leith - An adaptation of the Scottish musical based on the music of The Proclaimers. Its about the ins-and-outs of a Scottish family. The plot wasn't groundbreaking, you could tell that some scenes were in the movie just to fit the songs. It was a very Mamma Mia-esque, feel good movie. Peter Mullan stars along with a cast of mostly unknowns (at least to me). Great movie overall if you either like the Proclaimers or like musicals.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:58 am
Director

habsfan93 wrote:
I have been going every year for the last 6 years.
Saw 4 films this year, my lowest total since I started going since I was out of town for most of the festival.

12 Years a Slave - Intense. Difficult. These are the kinds of words I would use to describe this stunning film. Its not a movie you want to watch, but a movie everyone should watch. People in the audience could be heard gasping or uttering words of disbelief throughout the film - it was clearly having an impact on people. The depictions of whipping were as graphic as The Passion of the Christ. I wouldn't be surprised to see this movie on the awards scene this year.

This is my most anticipated movie of the fall, mainly because director Steve McQueen's last movie, Shame, was my No. 1 of 2011. It already won the audience award, and as history tells us, that bodes well for Academy Award aspirations.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:48 pm