Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:50 pm

"The Fault in Our Stars" Film Adaptation Announced! 
Cinematographer

Post "The Fault in Our Stars" Film Adaptation Announced!
I'm not sure if any of you have read John Green's masterpiece of a young-adult novel, but it truly is mesmerizing. Romantic, without being sentimental. Poignant, without being over-the-top. Unforgettable, without being heavy-handed. The book is not geared towards my demographic or age group, yet it is certainly a haunting, endearing slice of life. I adored it.

That being said, it was announced on February 1 that a cinematic adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars is in the works. Here is the latest news on the subject right here: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Fault-Ou ... 35864.html. Josh Boone is set to direct, with several actresses already in the mix to play the part of Hazel Lancaster, the book's protagonist. Among the possible choices are Shailene Woodley (The Descendants, The Spectacular Now) and Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit).

I know that some might argue against casting these actresses at the lead character, given that they might be too old for the part, but I would honestly love to see Emma Watson or even Jennifer Lawrence as Hazel. Granted, an unknown star would probably add more gravitas, but I just think that Watson can truly pull it off, especially given her excellent performance in The Perks of Being a Wallflower, based on another excellent novel for younger audiences.

Obviously, this will end up being a 2014 release, although I cannot wait to see it. In fact, I might be looking forward to it more than any movie coming out this year, give or take Only God Forgives, Iron Man 3, and Man of Steel. As a result, I have made a list of five guidelines for the makers and distributors of this film to follow when crafting this movie. Do not let me down.

1. Try to avoid The Perks of Being a Wallflower route. That was an excellent book, yet its distribution was scant to say the least. It was a very limited release, which is saddening, seeing as major stars such as Logan Lerman and Emma Watson could have drawn larger audiences to a film that many fans of the book could have enjoyed. Such a shame. I will say, however, that I would love to have seen John Green direct the movie, just as Stephen Chbosky did with Wallflower, but I trust Josh Boone, who has read the book and seems very enthusiastic about filming it.

2. The producers of Twilight are involved with this project. Do not make this movie anything like Twilight, people.

3. Do not cut too much from the book. At a mere 318 pages, The Fault in Our Stars offers plenty of opportunities for adding to the text, yet it should not be overlong.

4. Do not settle for the easy emotions. What makes Stars so accessible is its understanding of human emotions. It's almost like a modern-day Romeo and Juliet.

5. Do not use any Nicholas Sparks plot devices. Self-explanatory.

What are your thoughts? Let me know below.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:03 pm
Director

Post Re: "The Fault in Our Stars" Film Adaptation Announced!
Just finished the book. Will stay with me for a while. If you described the plot out loud it shouldn't have worked (like Terms of Endearment for teenagers). But in the end it just worked spectacularly by being honest and insightful.

That said, the upcoming movie will need some talent to avoid it end up a Lifetime movie. The cast look excellent, the writers promising (they have done (500) Days of Summer and The Spectacular Now), and the director relatively unknown... fingers crossed.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:21 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Really enjoyed the book as well. It was written specifically for my age group, and Green does have a real ability to connect with different types of people (as evidenced by his successful Internet career, as well).

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Looks nice enough, I guess. But please, please don't let be another case of The Book Thief.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:01 am