Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:07 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 645, 646, 647, 648, 649, 650, 651 ... 796  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Author Message
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Well I'm afraid I will have to go with the majority on this one; the film's theme happens to hit my soft spot though (I have Cloud Atlas as my #1 movie of 2012 after all).

Three Colors: Red (1994)

I am a sucker for these destiny/fate-themed movies, and for anyone who doesn't, I think the film conveys this theme in a very subtle, yet no less powerful manner. I was almost bored by the less reliance on plot even more than the first two films when it suddenly struck me how all the characters were weaving in and out of the story, with some meeting and some almost not quite, and then it became compelling to see how Kieslowski illustrated this in his own way. It's hard to explain why the film worked as well as it did. The use of color (less impressive than Blue but still arresting), the performances, and the paths the characters were taking; all combined to create quite a stirring effect on the mind. The last act from the conversation at fashion show to the ending that tied the three films together wonderfully might be my favorite stretch of the three films. 9/10


Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:32 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7369
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
peng wrote:
Well I'm afraid I will have to go with the majority on this one; the film's theme happens to hit my soft spot though (I have Cloud Atlas as my #1 movie of 2012 after all).

Three Colors: Red (1994)

I am a sucker for these destiny/fate-themed movies, and for anyone who doesn't, I think the film conveys this theme in a very subtle, yet no less powerful manner. I was almost bored by the less reliance on plot even more than the first two films when it suddenly struck me how all the characters were weaving in and out of the story, with some meeting and some almost not quite, and then it became compelling to see how Kieslowski illustrated this in his own way. It's hard to explain why the film worked as well as it did. The use of color (less impressive than Blue but still arresting), the performances, and the paths the characters were taking; all combined to create quite a stirring effect on the mind. The last act from the conversation at fashion show to the ending that tied the three films together wonderfully might be my favorite stretch of the three films. 9/10


Huh. I find the concluson which 'ties the films together' to be woefully contrived. I would have rather had nothing tying the characters together than the slapdash ending presented

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:16 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Well I feel the film developed a sense of inevitability throughout, especially with the old man telling the story that paralleled the young judge, so the dovetailing of characters, from both this film and the other two, worked, at least for me.


Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:40 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 867
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Following (1998)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154506/
Christopher Nolan's debut feature, made on a paltry $6000, is actually surprisingly effective. Shot in black and white, the images are often quite striking - particularly light and shadows really "pop" when colour is removed - it's somewhat surprising that creative film makers (independent) don't use it more often. The story, about a writer who follows people for inspiration and gets more than he bargained for after befriending a burglar he followed, is told in a non-chronological manner (but not backwards like Nolan's 2nd feature, Memento). There is also a twist, of course, and everything is not quite what it seems. More than just a curiosity, and at just 69 minutes it certainly doesn't drag.
6/10.


Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:25 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
World War Z (2013)

Thrilling and well-executed set-pieces strung together by sloppy plot and often baffling logics (that "singing girl" in particular, ugh). After Quantums I didn't think Forster had it in him for these many coherent action scenes; the first shaky one that opened the film almost made me think he hasn't changed the style from that, but that seemed to be hampered not by his direction but more by the need to keep it PG-13. The set-pieces are also varied enough in scale and suspense for all to be effective. Fun watch. 7.5/10

Unforgiven (1992)

The first half establishes the characters and the two threads of story, and has a few vignettes that help fleshed out the moral of the time and the places a bit. Some of those are either too long or reiterate the same points over, feeling meandering. However when the two story threads intersect halfway through, the movie ramps up the conflicts and tension, turning every situation morally ambiguous, and keeps building to a very sad and devastating end. 8/10

Metropolis (1927)

At two and a half hours, the film lags in some spots, especially the first half, with some rough edges in other areas (performances, some of the themes). But other than that, this is a truly visionary film, a feature-length parade of creative spectacles, all of which are impressive even to the modern eyes. Makes one wonder how Fritz Lang would have done with today's resource at hand. And for a very long silent film, it is impressive in how the it trusts the audience, having intertitles only when necessary and relying on visuals and performances. The themes and their executions also go to some dark place a few times, and the underlying hope and optimism give the spectacle full meaning. The last hour is really grand in scale and completely gripping. 9.5/10


Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:09 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 696
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
peng wrote:
World War Z (2013)

Thrilling and well-executed set-pieces strung together by sloppy plot and often baffling logics (that "singing girl" in particular, ugh). After Quantums I didn't think Forster had it in him for these many coherent action scenes; the first shaky one that opened the film almost made me think he hasn't changed the style from that, but that seemed to be hampered not by his direction but more by the need to keep it PG-13. The set-pieces are also varied enough in scale and suspense for all to be effective. Fun watch. 7.5/10

Unforgiven (1992)

The first half establishes the characters and the two threads of story, and has a few vignettes that help fleshed out the moral of the time and the places a bit. Some of those are either too long or reiterate the same points over, feeling meandering. However when the two story threads intersect halfway through, the movie ramps up the conflicts and tension, turning every situation morally ambiguous, and keeps building to a very sad and devastating end. 8/10

Metropolis (1927)

At two and a half hours, the film lags in some spots, especially the first half, with some rough edges in other areas (performances, some of the themes). But other than that, this is a truly visionary film, a feature-length parade of creative spectacles, all of which are impressive even to the modern eyes. Makes one wonder how Fritz Lang would have done with today's resource at hand. And for a very long silent film, it is impressive in how the it trusts the audience, having intertitles only when necessary and relying on visuals and performances. The themes and their executions also go to some dark place a few times, and the underlying hope and optimism give the spectacle full meaning. The last hour is really grand in scale and completely gripping. 9.5/10


I was curious to check Metropolis, but I had work last night :( and my cable provider dropped TCM also, so it would've been the same anyway. I'll try and check it out someday.

Unforgiven is one of my favorite films. I remember more or less agreeing with you the first time I saw it (about some scenes being too long), but I've found it gets better with repeated viewings.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Thief12 wrote:
I was curious to check Metropolis, but I had work last night :( and my cable provider dropped TCM also, so it would've been the same anyway. I'll try and check it out someday.

Unforgiven is one of my favorite films. I remember more or less agreeing with you the first time I saw it (about some scenes being too long), but I've found it gets better with repeated viewings.


I think they have both the 2 hours and the "complete" versions on youtube, but I'm not sure if they come with subtitles.

Hmm, I may revisit it a few years from now, but what I don't like with Unforgiven are something I find with the style of common westerns in general, like guys showing off their style or "coolness", or the long talking scenes, which I know is to establish the mood, but I still don't care for them much. I tend to like the ones that subvert them, like High Noon or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Yes, Unforgiven also subverts them, maybe more so than any other, but in the first half, the film still did this style, even while sometimes subverting it. (I love the traditional 3:10 to Yuma remake though)


Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:47 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7369
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
peng wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
I was curious to check Metropolis, but I had work last night :( and my cable provider dropped TCM also, so it would've been the same anyway. I'll try and check it out someday.

Unforgiven is one of my favorite films. I remember more or less agreeing with you the first time I saw it (about some scenes being too long), but I've found it gets better with repeated viewings.


I think they have both the 2 hours and the "complete" versions on youtube, but I'm not sure if they come with subtitles.

Hmm, I may revisit it a few years from now, but what I don't like with Unforgiven are something I find with the style of common westerns in general, like guys showing off their style or "coolness", or the long talking scenes, which I know is to establish the mood, but I still don't care for them much. I tend to like the ones that subvert them, like High Noon or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Yes, Unforgiven also subverts them, maybe more so than any other, but in the first half, the film still did this style, even while sometimes subverting it. (I love the traditional 3:10 to Yuma remake though)


Unforgiven is as anti-Western as any I could name. What's "cool" about men carving up whores, wallowing in pig shit, being unable to see and sleeping outside every night?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:51 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The key phrase in that paragraph is that I feel the film did this style even while subverting them. Specifically I mean it still retained the same beats and pacing of a traditional western, even if the content is as anti as they come.


Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:13 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 547
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ragnarok73 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
That's interesting because I didn't buy the ending as happy at all. I found it very Graduate-like, very uncertain, with perhaps some wistfulness for their time at the Moonrise Kingdom

As I watched the film, I was actually expecting the ending to be much less positive just based on the tone that was being set throughout the earlier scenes of the young couple's romance. I do find the ending as is to be quite happy given that:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Sam got a new foster home with Captain Sharp and thus remained in relatively close proximity to Suzy so that their relationship could continue. This is an especially happier outcome than Sam going with Social Services to "juvenile refuge" (re: youth detention center) where he would have undergone electroshock therapy.

I watched the film again and thought some more about that ending. Can you imagine the impact if the story of Sam and Suzy ended at:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The part where the lightning struck the bell tower of the church right after Captain Sharp was given the OK by Social Services to take custody of Sam, ending up with the presumed deaths of all 3 of them? I say "presumed", because their bodies would never be found. This could be spun into a local legend where the more optimistic folk of New Penzance Island say that the lightning strike blasted them into the eponymous Moonrise Kingdom (perhaps a name that Suzy mentioned in a diary). The Narrator would then relate this legend in the epilogue of the film.

That's a twist that would have gripped the audience by the balls.

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:31 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2045
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story: as one of the multitudes who enjoyed and didn't finish the novel Tristram Shandy (I got the point halfway through), I have to say this is about the most faithful adaptation you could hope for. It's totally faithful to the plot of Tristram Shandy and opens it up very effectively.* Fine performances by Steve Coogan, Rob Brydon, Naomie Harris, Kelly MacDonald, Shirley Henderson and whoever played the costumer. Funny, well-conceived movie,(8.5 of 10)

*Yes, I'm totally aware Tristram Shandy doesn't have a plot at all.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:42 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1660
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Quote:
Unforgiven is as anti-Western as any I could name. What's "cool" about men carving up whores, wallowing in pig shit, being unable to see and sleeping outside every night?


Sleeping outside every night is pretty cool. Nothing's cool about the other things. Doesn't prevent me from being entertained.


Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:10 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The East (2013)

Some serious implausibilities and a too-pat ending asides, this is an effective political thriller, willing to get its characters and their methods morally murky (that is, until the ending). Brit Marling, apart from writing the screenplay, is very good as the undercover cooperative whose commitment wavered after she became close to the the extremist group she's investigating on. Her romantic subplot was rather clumsily integrated and went nowhere, though. 7/10

La Dolce Vita (1960)

Three hours of "nothing" can be about everything, and seem to pass by effortlessly. The visuals and performances are so inviting that you get lost in this hypnotizing world, before it slowly peels back to show the decay underneath (speaking of visual, is this the most beautiful black-and-white film ever made?). In a way, I'm reminded of how I feel about Mad Men, a show that can be analyzed for hidden subtexts and themes (many of which overlap with this film), but that can also be enjoyed on the surface from its colorful characters and meticulous details. 9/10

Fargo (1996)


I seem to not be able to connect much with middle-period Coens. This and The Big Lebowski are their films that have gotten effusive praise, but leave me wanting a bit more. In the case of Fargo, I spent the first hour being mildly engaged by a few set pieces of violent black comedy, even if the characters are not particularly involving (making me a bit detached as a result). However, the last act, where the comedy gets blacker and the violence gets more absurd, is pretty great, upping my opinion of the whole movie quite a bit. 8/10


Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:14 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 696
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
peng wrote:
Fargo (1996)

I seem to not be able to connect much with middle-period Coens. This and The Big Lebowski are their films that have gotten effusive praise, but leave me wanting a bit more. In the case of Fargo, I spent the first hour being mildly engaged by a few set pieces of violent black comedy, even if the characters are not particularly involving (making me a bit detached as a result). However, the last act, where the comedy gets blacker and the violence gets more absurd, is pretty great, upping my opinion of the whole movie quite a bit. 8/10


I think Fargo has been one of the few Coen films I've loved right from the beginning. Most of his other efforts (The Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading), I've come to appreciate and love with repeated viewings. But Fargo? I loved that one from the start.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7369
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Phantom of the Opera (2004) **1/2
The Phantom of the Opera (1925) ***

After seeing Phantom on Broadway I figured I had to catch up on the phenomenon from a cinematic standpoint. The 2004 Joel Schumaker version is terrific to look at, and is pretty much as good a film as could be made from the stage musical, but never manages to be very good. Patrick Wilson is a decent singer but he never registers as a presence at all, and Gerard Butler's casting is nonsensical -- he's not a good singer, he's doesn't have much presence, and he wasn't even famous at the time. Not sure what they were doing there.

The 1925 version is one of the older movies I've seen, and I gotta say, painful as it is to admit, silent films don't hold my attention as well. With that said, the sets here are so good and Lon Cheney does such a good job that I'll give this one a positive rating despite being restless towards the end. Like Dracula and to a lesser degree the original Frankenstein, it earns its "classic" status by being iconic rather than by being a great film.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:39 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2045
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The James Whale Frankenstein really is a good movie by a great director, although the iconic status helps boost the rating. The Edison one is just strange. At the other extreme, I Was a Teenage Frankenstein is far worse than even its title suggests. I'll have to see the Chaney Phantom and Hunchback someday.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:06 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7369
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Syd Henderson wrote:
The James Whale Frankenstein really is a good movie by a great director, although the iconic status helps boost the rating. The Edison one is just strange. At the other extreme, I Was a Teenage Frankenstein is far worse than even its title suggests. I'll have to see the Chaney Phantom and Hunchback someday.


In my opinion, Frankenstein is almost a good movie. Bride of Frankenstein is a legitimately good movie

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:40 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 648
Location: The Desert
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
I'm catching up on some of my final first-time viewings in August, so forgive the length of these posts.

Ain’t Them Bodies Saints - This was in Texas, so reads the opening title card of this 2013 film from director David Lowery. It’s a simple opening touch that has a surprising impact, an evocative declaration of the mythic and elegiac qualities of the film to follow. Everything starts out innocently enough, with a young man and a young woman walking through a field at dusk, clearly in love. But the lovers are quickly revealed to be in the closing stages of a Bonnie & Clyde-style romance/crime spree. The man, knowing that the woman is pregnant with his child, surrenders and takes the blame for everything they have done (though what exactly they have done is never quite made clear, the first in a long line of missing details that Lowery chooses not to emphasize). A couple years pass, and the woman has had her child, and the man writes letters to them from prison, before breaking out in the hopes of reuniting. But does the woman still hold dwindling remnants of love towards this man, or has she moved on completely, concerned more with the responsibilities she holds for her child and the awkward, humble affections of a local cop? One thing is for sure, and that is the man is making his way back to her, and sooner or later there’s going to be a confrontation.

All of this is absolutely wonderful, although I should add in the interest of fairness that I’m a complete sucker for this kind of thing, material that wouldn’t feel out of place in the pages of a Cormac McCarthy novel or in the lyrics of the most tender of Nick Cave songs. Between the rhythms of the editing (even though he doesn’t handle the duty here, Lowery co-edited Shane Carruth’s similarly hypnotic but significantly more cryptic Upstream Color), the “magic hour” cinematography from Bradford Young, and the rustic, handclap-heavy score, this is cinematic catnip. And while it would be very easy to just single out the tone of the film as its most important quality, it helps that all four of the main performers (Casey Affleck, Rooney Mara, Ben Foster, Keith Carradine) are at the top of their game (Foster in particular hasn’t made this kind of positive impression since the remake of 3:10 To Yuma). In part because the performances are so perfectly-realized, the film becomes more than simply an exercise in low-key atmosphere, with Lowery never losing focus on his quietly-emotional tale of fading love and shifting priorities over the passage of time. 9/10.

The World’s End - First it was zombies, then it was malevolent town elders. Now, Edgar Wright returns with longtime collaborators Simon Pegg and Nick Frost to tackle the sometimes-difficult transition from adolescence to adulthood…and also aliens. Pegg stars as Gary King, an aging loser who still fantasizes about the golden years of his youth. In order to recapture some of that old energy, he gathers together his four old friends (Frost, Paddy Considine, Martin Freeman, and Eddie Marsan) for a trip back to their hometown, where they will embark on a legendary pub crawl. Along the way, however, they encounter a sinister presence that none of them are prepared for (this is a film that might actually work best for those that go into it completely blind, unaware of the obstacles the group encounters along their pub crawl). The moment when that sinister presence first reveals itself is one of my favorite scenes in the movies this year, a sequence that completely upends what had before been a fairly-calm look at a group of adults quietly struggling with their friend’s state of perpetual arrested development. Once that scene concludes, the film really lets loose, and although there were times when I wished Wright and Pegg had worked a little breathing room into their screenplay, it’s nevertheless quite a wild and fun ride.

Out of the three films in Wright’s “Cornetto trilogy,” this is admittedly the one that might take the most time for me to appreciate fully. It’s not as laugh-heavy as Hot Fuzz and it doesn’t quite hit the same emotional heights as Shaun Of The Dead. But that might be because it takes more risks, with the abrasive lead character and the darker plot revelations, exemplified best in the film’s coda, which takes the characters to a place that could have inspired an entire film by itself. But even though this concluding chapter isn’t as immediately accessible, or completely successful, as the films that have come before, it’s still a welcome breath of fresh air in today’s comedy landscape. It doesn’t fall victim to the worst modern trends , too reliant on pop culture non sequiturs and tiresome, seemingly-endless improvisations by overly-chummy stars. Wright, Pegg and company undoubtedly mine the history of pop culture for their gags too, but they’ve found a way to do so that goes above and beyond the “spot the reference” game their comedy peers so often play (the soundtrack is a good example of this, a carefully-assembled and creative mix of choice Britpop selections from the early ’90s that works as a sort of sly background commentary to the action). Especially for someone like me whose enthusiasm for comedies has gradually waned over the years after sitting stone-faced through films other people inexplicably find hysterical, Wright’s trilogy has been something of a godsend. The World’s End works well as a standalone piece, with its own unique rewards and charms, and it works as a fitting and welcome end to a series of films I’ll continue to love for many years to come. 8/10.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices - During my admittedly mostly-wasted years as a film studies student in college, there were many classes that seemed to pass by with little to no consequence. I discovered quickly that I was learning more from just exploring the history of film independently at home than I was when sitting at a desk in a classroom. But there were still a few worthwhile experiences to be salvaged from the wreckage, and one of them was a class on film animation I attended in my sophomore year. Along with introducing me to the experimental works of Norman McLaren and, oddly enough, Chris Marker’s incomparable La Jetee, the class illuminated some of the darker recesses of modern Japanese animation, films and filmmakers I wouldn’t have known or cared about had they not been flagged up by my professor. Because of this class, I discovered the films of the late great Satoshi Kon, as well as the less-renowned Makoto Shinkai, whose films I examined closer for a final assignment/presentation. Apart from just being a master of the evocative title (Voices Of A Distant Star, The Place Promised In Our Early Days, 5 Centimeters Per Second), Shinkai’s films have a different feel from his contemporaries: much more grounded and nostalgic, with an almost overwhelming sense of melancholy, even amidst the fantastical. Strangely, his films haven’t sparked much in the way of widespread interest, and consequently they are not the easiest to get a hold of from all the regular outlets. This might be one of the reasons why I’ve sort of lost track of Shinkai over the last few years, and it was only recently that he popped back into mind and I decided to check in on what he was up to, only to discover he had made another film back in 2011.

That film is Children Who Chase Lost Voices, an adventure story about a young girl who journeys into the subterranean realm of Agartha, a world that supposedly holds the key to bringing back the dead. Unlike Shinkai’s past films, which have stood apart from other contemporary works both in style and in content, this one owes a clear debt to Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, particularly the films Castle In The Sky and Princess Mononoke. There’s nothing terribly wrong with using those films as inspiration, but the obvious connection makes the end result somehow feels less personal. Shinkai certainly isn’t lacking in imagination, and the animation is frequently stunning, but he hasn’t quite mastered the finer points of storytelling in the same way as Miyazaki (particularly in the motivations of the main character, which are never really made clear, with some early scenes hinting at hidden depths that never materialize). Still, even with this film’s shortcomings, I’m glad that Shinkai is back on my radar, and his new film out this year, the once-again brilliantly-titled The Garden Of Words, will not go unseen by me for very long. 7/10.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 648
Location: The Desert
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Grandmaster - It has been a long wait for the return of Wong Kar Wai, absent for the last six years from the cinema screen, and even longer since his last successful outing. Now he has returned in full force, with this examination into the lives of Ip Man (Tony Leung) and Gong Er (Ziyi Zhang), two people absolutely devoted to the study of martial arts in 1930s China, each a master of their own technique. The passage of time is not particularly kind to either of them though, and despite their mutual respect and possible love for each other, events in their lives lead them down their own separate paths. The former achieves great fame and respect at the height of his powers, but eventually loses his family and is forced to emigrate to Hong Kong, where he reinvents himself as a martial arts instructor. The latter successfully learns and masters her family’s legacy, but finds it usurped by an outsider, leading to a fateful decision to take it back, but at the cost of passing it down for future generations. By contrasting these two people, Wai brings up questions about the value of preserving legacies, and whether or not that kind of thing truly means much of anything as generations continue to pass by.

This is the dominating message I took away from the cut version released in American theaters, at the moment the only version of the film I have seen. It’s missing somewhere around 30 minutes of footage, and while the whole thing still holds together quite nicely, there are some sore moments that stick out. Certain edits seem suspiciously abrupt, and the overall structure feels a little odd, with Ip Man the main focus through the first two-thirds, only to step aside for Gong Er in the final stretch. Most egregious are the moments of informational text inserted unnaturally into the film. These inserts rarely if ever contribute anything positive, oftentimes just reiterating information a focused viewer could assume anyway (at one point, Ip Man sells off his clothes to feed his family, and immediately after the scene text pops us to inform us that Ip Man was forced to sell off his clothes to feed his family). The worst moment comes near the end, when a quick reference to Bruce Lee, Ip Man’s most famous student, directly leads into an apparent “cameo” scene that drew audible chuckles from the audience in my theater. The inserts make the film seem more like a traditional biopic, which is unfortunate because it clearly has larger ambitions than just working through the “greatest hits” of a historical figure. The good news is that, even with all of the changes more often than not striking false notes, this is still unmistakably a Wong Kar Wai film, one that showcases all of his unique strengths as a filmmaker, along with the added bonus of wonderfully-choreographed fight sequences. It’s a significant return to form after the wafer-thin English-language effort My Blueberry Nights, but I just have a lingering feeling that all the changes have turned a great film into merely a very good one. 8/10.

Sapphire (1959) - This is the first film in Criterion’s Eclipse collection Basil Dearden’s London Underground, a set of four films from English director Basil Dearden that, in one way or another, tackled potentially-incendiary topics during a considerably more conservative time period. That willingness to challenge social conventions is apparent almost right from the outset of this 1959 film, which opens with the quick and callous dumping of the dead body of a young woman. Shortly after, the viewer is introduced to a pair of police investigators, who will methodically move from lead to lead in an effort to find the culprit. An unexpected element is added in, however, with the appearance of the dead woman’s brother, who is black. His introduction, and the reveal that his sister was actually a light-skinned black woman, introduces a racial element to the film that comes to dominate the action as the investigators move forward.

What I found most impressive about Sapphire is the way it uses the conventions of its genre, the police procedural, for incisive social commentary on the racial attitudes of 1950s Britain. The actual procedural elements are fairly by-the-numbers, although there is a special kind of interest in watching the detectives methodically move closer and closer to solving the case. The film is much more remarkable for its constant questionings of the racial status quo. Hardly anyone is let off the hook; the two investigators, one of whom clearly harbors more extreme prejudices, are constantly put in situations that challenge their preconceptions. Elsewhere, when the dead woman’s former roommate speaks out against her landlady’s prejudicial remarks, the landlady retorts by asking the roommate if she had told her parents that her roommate was black when she introduced her to them, to which she has no answer. Understandably, the film is very much of its time, and consequently it works more as a kind of historical document, a window back into a different era with different attitudes. But for some reason I doubt many modern genre directors would be willing to push the limits as much as Dearden did here. Maybe the issues evoked in this film are still as relevant today as they were in the 1950s. 7/10.

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2045
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
I've seen The Place Promised in Our Early Days and 5 Centimeters per Second. The first is the better, but 5 Centimeters per Second is full of breathtaking images. Netflix still doesn't have Voices of a Distant Star. I may have to buy a copy.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:59 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 645, 646, 647, 648, 649, 650, 651 ... 796  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr