Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:45 pm

RIDDICK 
Site Admin

Post RIDDICK
Click here for the review of Riddick

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: RIDDICK
Meh. This movie just doesn't look all that good to me. I like Diesel. But I've never really been a fan of this franchise. I found Pitch Black had one really cool (the eclipse scene) and the rest of the movie completely run in the mill and not all that exciting. The Chronicles of Riddick was a slight improvement but still kind of so-so. So yeah, I'm not expecting much from this.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:37 am
Cinematographer

James Berardinelli wrote:
Click here for the review of Riddick

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

One of the bounty hunters is named Johns? Does that make this film a prequel of sorts to Pitch Black and an attempt to get away from the epic weirdness of the 2nd film? As I recall, there was a character named Johns in the first film played by Cole Hauser who turned out to be a bounty hunter, hence the possible connection.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:11 pm
Auteur

I enjoyed Chronicles(well the directors cut version anyways) and this looks pretty good too.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:33 pm
Gaffer

I don't really have plans to see this film anytime soon. The two previous films were unmemorable with the 2nd one being incredibly bad (I 'awarded' it 0 stars at the time; never saw it again though). Trailer doesn't look interesting. Will wait for Netflix or something.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:47 pm
Site Admin

Ragnarok73 wrote:
One of the bounty hunters is named Johns? Does that make this film a prequel of sorts to Pitch Black and an attempt to get away from the epic weirdness of the 2nd film? As I recall, there was a character named Johns in the first film played by Cole Hauser who turned out to be a bounty hunter, hence the possible connection.

It's a sequel to CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK; it takes place after the other films so it's not a prequel.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Johns
The "Johns" character in this film is the father of the Cole Hauser character from PITCH BLACK. He has tracked Riddick down to learn what happened to his son.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

James Berardinelli wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

It's a sequel to CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK; it takes place after the other films so it's not a prequel.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Johns
The "Johns" character in this film is the father of the Cole Hauser character from PITCH BLACK. He has tracked Riddick down to learn what happened to his son.

Ok, I haven't seen this film yet, but it seems already to me that this is a bit of a letdown considering that at the end of the last film, Riddick became the new dictator-for-life of an entire army of undead warriors. I imagine that there was some sort of brilliant explanation as to why he would have ditched all that to go back to killing bounty hunters for sport.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:24 pm
Director

Mushmouth Diesel has always been an automatic movie repellent for me. Thank goodness his character was the first to die in "Saving Private Ryan." :?

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:14 pm
Assistant Director

I think Riddick is one of the more interesting action characters of the last 15 years. For starters he's 100% original IP, not a Marvel or DC character - or even a knock-off of one (as far as I know anyway). He's not a force of pure good or evil (an anti-hero if you will with a highly dubious moral compass - probably a "Chaotic Neutral" alignment), and it's sci-fi. That basically ticks all boxes for me. Both of the video games were also fantastic, especially Escape from Butcher Bay. Have to wait another week before Riddick opens in New Zealand, but as a big fan of the franchise and JB's endorsement I'll be there.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:01 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I can honestly say the high praise and the 3 star rating was completely unexpected. Count in me as a fan of the first one but a hater of the second. So I'll be looking forward to watching this now.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:23 am
Second Unit Director

The first part of the movie is the best with the almost wordless Discovery Channel take if you overlook the lame segue where the director tells us to forget that the second film happened. Would the infinitely cunning Riddick fall for something like that? The third act though is so routine that it seems like a minor let down from the previous segments.

The real marvel for me is watching Vin Diesel with his monotone one note voice acting and his nearly never changing expressions on his face. His success as an actor should be inspiration to every out of work actor that talent is not a barrier to the big time. I am not sure if the director is secretly in love with Katee Sackhoff but she does get a lot of long close ups for someone with no back story or characterization. She is an interesting actor where you can't say she is beautiful but you can't really say she is not but she does match Diesel one note for one note in the movie.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:37 pm
Gaffer

James how would you rank it compared to Oblivion and Elysium?£

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:16 am
Site Admin

Master Virgo wrote:
James how would you rank it compared to Oblivion and Elysium?£

Probably in between, with ELYSIUM above and OBLIVION below.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Just got back from Riddick...and it has problems and stuff that works. The first 30 minutes is kinda slow and at times borderline ridiculous with Riddick wandering around & being attacked by monsters. Then it decides it needs to reinvigorate things like Pitch Black did....by doing everything Pitch Black did except with rain! Which includes Riddick stalking some people in the background and then some things come killing with leads to a team-up.

Despite that, at least for the most part, Vin Diesel still knows what makes Riddick tick though he does have some horrible out-of-character lines like "I'm going to ride it like I stole it". There is a strong sequel hook and the last 90 minutes are pretty good. It's fine for fans of Riddick, everyone else rent.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:32 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
I think Riddick is one of the more interesting action characters of the last 15 years. For starters he's 100% original IP, not a Marvel or DC character - or even a knock-off of one (as far as I know anyway). He's not a force of pure good or evil (an anti-hero if you will with a highly dubious moral compass - probably a "Chaotic Neutral" alignment), and it's sci-fi. That basically ticks all boxes for me. Both of the video games were also fantastic, especially Escape from Butcher Bay. Have to wait another week before Riddick opens in New Zealand, but as a big fan of the franchise and JB's endorsement I'll be there.

THANK YOU

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:29 pm
Gaffer

I will dissent and say that Pitch Black was OK and that I felt Chronicles was leading to something epic if given budget and freedom to go where it wanted. Instead, to my disappointment, we got what looks to be a remake of Pitch Black. Can anyone spoilerize how they explain away the events in Chronicles?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:52 pm
Second Unit Director

botdx wrote:
I will dissent and say that Pitch Black was OK and that I felt Chronicles was leading to something epic if given budget and freedom to go where it wanted. Instead, to my disappointment, we got what looks to be a remake of Pitch Black. Can anyone spoilerize how they explain away the events in Chronicles?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Vakkoo trades Riddick's Lord marshall crown for a trip to Riddick's home planet of Furya. So some other guys take him to some deserted planet that isn't Furya, betray him and leave him for dead.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 pm
Assistant Director

Saw this on Friday, and it completely delivered what I expected (and hoped for) - that is, more Riddick goodness. Like it's predecessors, there is some ott stuff, some corny dialogue, dodgy acting, budget sets etc, but it was all well directed by Twohy and of course Vin Diesel IS Riddick. The CGI was actually a lot better than I would have guessed given its relatively low budget of US$30M. Not the best thing I've seen this year, but I, for one, wasn't disappointed.
Disclosure: I'm a big fan of both the Riddick movies and video games (apparently there's a new Riddick game coming too. Can't wait!).

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:49 am