Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:50 am

Robocop remake to be PG-13 
Producer

Post Re: Robocop remake to be PG-13
The original Robocop was of course a pretty smart satire on post-industrial decline - both moral and economic. It was very relevant in 1987. Funny thing is, with a collapsed economy, bankruptcy, and near 50% illiteracy rates, the Robocop vision of Detroit is almost literally fulfilled.

And yet despite this, what is the bet that the remake either largely ignores or completely misses this? Which is in itself hugely ironic - Hollywood's calculated idea that the stupid masses are too stupid to view their own stupidity. Instead we’ll have a dumbed down action trope fest of the usual “nothing to see here” variety.

Robocop is Detriot's past in fiction, and its future in reality.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:56 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:
It's dumb that they make Murphy become Robocop due to a car bombing gone bad than being viciously gunned down.

Eh, I don't really see how that's "dumb"

In some ways it may remind some of what happened in the dismal movie version of Inspector Gadget.

NotHughGrant wrote:
The original Robocop was of course a pretty smart satire on post-industrial decline - both moral and economic. It was very relevant in 1987. Funny thing is, with a collapsed economy, bankruptcy, and near 50% illiteracy rates, the Robocop vision of Detroit is almost literally fulfilled.

And yet despite this, what is the bet that the remake either largely ignores or completely misses this? Which is in itself hugely ironic - Hollywood's calculated idea that the stupid masses are too stupid to view their own stupidity. Instead we’ll have a dumbed down action trope fest of the usual “nothing to see here” variety.

Robocop is Detriot's past in fiction, and its future in reality

Right. The original Robocop was satire. It had lots of action and bloody violence. But there was a point to it. This one looks like Robocop For The Mentally Challenged Reality TV culture.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:34 am
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Right. The original Robocop was satire. It had lots of action and bloody violence. But there was a point to it. This one looks like Robocop For The Mentally Challenged Reality TV culture.

Too much depth and people could drown.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 am
Producer

Jeff Wilder wrote:

I agree. And like I said, it won't even have the nerve to acknowledge the status of the real Detroit.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:59 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

I agree. And like I said, it won't even have the nerve to acknowledge the status of the real Detroit.

How do you know it won't acknowledge it? Do you have any actual proof that it won't? I don't know why people are jumping to ridiculous conclusions already.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:38 pm
Critic

Did you guys hear the latest?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-robocop-trailer-reveals-main-character-to-be-s,33765/

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:33 pm
Cinematographer

Your attempts at sarcasm are perhaps becoming too passive-aggressive, Kunzie.

I saw the trailer for it tonight and I have to say: Robo-Schlock - Coming to a theater near you. The trailer seems to imply that the eponymous character doesn't in fact lose his humanity after being made into the cyborg. In fact, there was a bit in that trailer where it almost seemed like he was having a fight with his wife (perhaps giving her a super-powered backhand to the face after telling her to get the fuck back into the kitchen- oh wait, I forgot that it's going to be a PG-13 film).

Did Zack Snyder make this film? He's good at making pretty pictures that miss the point entirely.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:49 pm
Critic

Ragnarok73 wrote:

I saw the trailer for it tonight and I have to say: Robo-Schlock - Coming to a theater near you. The trailer seems to imply that the eponymous character doesn't in fact lose his humanity after being made into the cyborg. In fact, there was a bit in that trailer where it almost seemed like he was having a fight with his wife (perhaps giving her a super-powered backhand to the face after telling her to get the fuck back into the kitchen- oh wait, I forgot that it's going to be a PG-13 film).

Did Zack Snyder make this film? He's good at making pretty pictures that miss the point entirely.

"Sharing a humorous Onion article" is not my idea of passive aggressive sarcasm there, buddy.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:58 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:

I think it's interesting that they're not making Alex lose his humanity, if you're going to do a remake you might as well at least try something different instead of making a carbon copy of the original like with Psycho.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:31 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

"Sharing a humorous Onion article" is not my idea of passive aggressive sarcasm there, buddy.

I meant sarcasm as aimed at the film itself. I guess I was being too subtle there.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:59 am