Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I can't believe I forgot to mention just about any film made by Baz Luhrmann, but particularly Moulin Rouge. I'd love to tie that asshole down and then proceed to insert hypodermic needles filled with Thorazine into his eyeballs. If anyone passing by asked me, "How do you think that's going to help him?", I'd reply, "Who said I was trying to help him?". His films were made to be enjoyed by ADD-afflicted retards who are tripping on acid.

What he said.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I can't believe I forgot to mention just about any film made by Baz Luhrmann, but particularly Moulin Rouge. I'd love to tie that asshole down and then proceed to insert hypodermic needles filled with Thorazine into his eyeballs. If anyone passing by asked me, "How do you think that's going to help him?", I'd reply, "Who said I was trying to help him?". His films were made to be enjoyed by ADD-afflicted retards who are tripping on acid.

What he said.

More like "Love Story: The Musical." :lol:

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:52 pm
Producer

I enjoyed Moulin Rouge! in the theatre but not as much at home. I also like Romeo + Juliet and especially Strictly Ballroom, but I can see how other people could really dislike them.

I remember liking Angelina Jolie in The Good Shepherd but it was one of those stories that seemed like it would be interesting on screen and really wasn't.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 pm
Assistant Director

peng wrote:
Bryan Cranston is awful in something? Even though the film looks really quite bland, that makes me a bit interested to see it now.

I haven't seen "Breaking Bad," but I have seen Bryan Cranston in a few movies ("Rock of Ages," "Total Recall," "Argo," and many others) and have yet to see any acting ability from him.

I don't know if I said this before, but Identity Thief

God that movie sucked. It was just painful. I was literally clamping my hands on my head, praying it would stop. Jason Bateman does the same meek nerd schtick that has long since become tedious, and then it justified Diana's actions. BARF!!!!

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:57 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
peng wrote:
Bryan Cranston is awful in something? Even though the film looks really quite bland, that makes me a bit interested to see it now.

I haven't seen "Breaking Bad," but I have seen Bryan Cranston in a few movies ("Rock of Ages," "Total Recall," "Argo," and many others) and have yet to see any acting ability from him.

I don't know if I said this before, but Identity Thief

God that movie sucked. It was just painful. I was literally clamping my hands on my head, praying it would stop. Jason Bateman does the same meek nerd schtick that has long since become tedious, and then it justified Diana's actions. BARF!!!!

I quite enjoyed Identity Thief, Bateman and McCarthy were both hilarious and I don't think the film really "justified" Diana's actions given that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
She ends up going to jail at the end for her crimes

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:14 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
LOTR series, Titanic, West Side Story, Sound Of Music.

You HATE the LOTR series!!!???? :shock:

In my eyes, that's practically blasphemy!! LOTR is on my select list of all time favourite films!!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:54 am
Critic

StatGuy2000 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

In my eyes, that's practically blasphemy!! LOTR is on my select list of all time favourite films!!

Vexer is our forum's iconoclast. But we love him despite it

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:35 pm
Auteur

StatGuy2000 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to respond to that post I wrote 4 years ago. Blashpemy my ass, that series just bored me to death, nothing about the story was remotely compelling or interesting for me. I didn't give a damn about any of the characters, it had terrible acting from Orlando Bloom, one of the most wooden actors of all time. The battle scenes were a total snooze for me and did nothing to rouse my interest, the dialogue was painfully bad and over-the-top at times(the Gandalf NOOOOOOOOO! scene had me cringing way more then Vader's scene at the end of ROTS). I just do not understand the popularity of this series at all, and the Hobbit looks even worse, even my mom and sister, who are die-hard fans of the series, could not muster up much enthusiasm for that film.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:46 pm
Director

The action in LOTR, though good spectacle, truly does fail to raise a pulse. The Battle of Minas Tirith, in fact, avoids showing you most of the battle. Jackson shows us snippets of that one, giving us a general feeling of its scale, but there's few moments when any of it can rightly be called an "action sequence." It's all presented too loftily to be called real action. The series also lacks a Han Solo stand-in to be a vicarious, sarcastic vessel for the audience. LOTR has this problem even worse than the Star Wars prequels. None of the characters of middle earth seem to be all that human.

LOTR also generally lacks qualities of immediate stimulation. There are long passages when not much is going on. It's like the climactic raid in Zero Dark Thirty, but without the conceit that Bigelow's movie has. The real shame of the series, as I've come to accept over the years, is that Jackson doesn't allow it to be what it really is: guilty-pleasure, popcorn, visceral filmmaking. He had to make it lofty, lofty, lofty in order to grab the Oscars. People complained about the dozen endings, but would it have won best picture at a leaner 100 minutes? I think not. Too much respect has been lost for a 90 minute running time.

In the end, that's the main thing that prevents me from returning to these movies anymore: they're too damn long. Too unwieldy, too unfocused. I used to love em, but my tastes have changed.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:42 pm
Director

Seriously, why is it a fair amount of people can't enjoy a fantasy film these days without a token skeptical character? Fantasy is by definition 'not of this world.' Nonetheless, the battle of good vs. evil is surely universal enough to relate to... or the fact that Humans (I hate simply calling them 'Men' :| ) are generally the most easily corruptible race of peoples in Middle-Earth (gee, Tolkien didn't have any subtext there, did he? :P ).

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
. People complained about the dozen endings, but would it have won best picture at a leaner 100 minutes? I think not. Too much respect has been lost for a 90 minute running time.

Agreed, except for the fact that there has never been respect for the 90 minute running time. Since 1940 there have only been about 30 movies with running times of <100 minutes nominated for Best Picture, and only two have won (Annie Hall and Marty)

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 pm
Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Seriously, why is it a fair amount of people can't enjoy a fantasy film these days without a token skeptical character? Fantasy is by definition 'not of this world.' Nonetheless, the battle of good vs. evil is surely universal enough to relate to... or the fact that Humans (I hate simply calling them 'Men' :| ) are generally the most easily corruptible race of peoples in Middle-Earth (gee, Tolkien didn't have any subtext there, did he? :P ).

Tolkien's book may have subtext, but Jackson's film doesn't seem to carry much of it. He excised Tolkien's deliberately dour conclusion with a token Hollywood happy ending. Another difference between Lotr and Star Wars is that while Lucas's universe looks legitimately other-worldly, Jackson's looks like New Zealand...except when it doesn't, which makes the movies feel oddly disjointed. His trilogy also has a bit of a schizoid complex going on: for something that's supposed to take place in another world, it sure goes out of its way to convey a quasi-realistic, medieval vibe. It makes the movies tonally confounding, with fantasy being utilized only when it needs to be. So when you cut between Merry and Pippin in the walking trees to Aragorn's people, who are indistinguishable from medieval peasants, it doesn't feel like you're cutting between different areas of the same world. It just feels like you're cutting between two different movies.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:46 pm
Cinematographer

Syd Henderson wrote:
I enjoyed Moulin Rouge! in the theatre but not as much at home. I also like Romeo + Juliet and especially Strictly Ballroom, but I can see how other people could really dislike them.

For me, the difference between liking a Lurhmann film and hating it is less a matter of personal preference and more a matter of psychoactive drug usage.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:51 pm
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

For me, the difference between liking a Lurhmann film and hating it is less a matter of personal preference and more a matter of psychoactive drug usage.

I was under the influence of caffeine at the time.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:34 am
Cinematographer

Your Highness is the one that immediately comes to mind for me. Just an unbelievable mess from people that really should have known better.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Blonde Almond wrote:
Your Highness is the one that immediately comes to mind for me. Just an unbelievable mess from people that really should have known better.

That one I can definitely agree on, I've enjoyed some pretty widely despised comedies(I.E. Bucky Larson, Strange Wilderness, College, Pauly Shore's films)but even I couldn't find one single solitary laugh in that film, if it wasn't for Portman and Deschanel, I probably wouldn't have been able to finish it, quite a massive step down for David Gordon Green(who I don't really blame for the film, no director could've possibly made a good film from a script that dreadful) after Pineapple Express, thankfully The Sitter turned out to be a considerable improvement.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 pm
Assistant Director

I have mentioned this before on this site I'm sure, but it needs to be said again: Signs. Still imo Shyamalan's worst film to date, and that's saying something. There is no amount of drugs or alcohol that could make this enjoyable for me. I can't even enjoy it at a dumb-fun level - it's simply a terrible, terrible movie. What I find particularly confounding was Ebert's FOUR STAR review, which made me go and see it in the first place.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:40 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
I have mentioned this before on this site I'm sure, but it needs to be said again: Signs. Still imo Shyamalan's worst film to date, and that's saying something. There is no amount of drugs or alcohol that could make this enjoyable for me. I can't even enjoy it at a dumb-fun level - it's simply a terrible, terrible movie. What I find particularly confounding was Ebert's FOUR STAR review, which made me go and see it in the first place.

Agreed, that film was horrible and had one of the single worst twists of all time. That is indeed one of Ebert's more baffling reviews(equally baffling is his review of "Knowing" which was also a pretty terrible film).

There's quite a few horror remakes I despise-Pulse, One Missed Call, April Fools Day, Prom Night, The Stepfather, Shutter, The Uninvited.

Also hated Insidious, not remotely scary in the least, just incredibly stupid.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:59 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
StatGuy2000 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to respond to that post I wrote 4 years ago. Blashpemy my ass, that series just bored me to death, nothing about the story was remotely compelling or interesting for me. I didn't give a damn about any of the characters, it had terrible acting from Orlando Bloom, one of the most wooden actors of all time. The battle scenes were a total snooze for me and did nothing to rouse my interest, the dialogue was painfully bad and over-the-top at times(the Gandalf NOOOOOOOOO! scene had me cringing way more then Vader's scene at the end of ROTS). I just do not understand the popularity of this series at all, and the Hobbit looks even worse, even my mom and sister, who are die-hard fans of the series, could not muster up much enthusiasm for that film.

Vexer, please note that I do in fact enjoy reading your posts, as you are clearly an articulate and intelligent person who is passionate about movies, even though I often disagree with your contrarian opinions as I agree (for the other posters, there are quite a few occasions when I agree with Vexer).

That being said, I COMPLETELY disagree with everything you stated about the LOTR series! I thought that the story is extremely compelling, immersive and interesting (and this is someone who has read the complete LOTR books by Tolkien, including the Hobbit), the film was well-acted (yes, even by Orlando Bloom, who I otherwise consider to be a bland, wooden actor).

Battle scenes a total snooze - are we watching the same films? The Battle of Helms Deep in the Two Towers, the Battle at Minas Tirith raised my nape hairs on a few occasions, not to mention the scene with Frodo and Sam Gamgee at Mount Doom. There is nothing wrong at all in the dialogue (a fair bit of it taken directly from the books, I might add), and the Gandalf scene you're referring to was heart-wrenching, definitely not cringe-worthy.

As for the Hobbit, the first film was admittedly inferior to the LOTR trilogy (mainly due to pacing issues -- the film could have been better edited) but still solidly entertaining. I cannot wait for the next film with Benedict Cumberbatch playing the voice of Smaug.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:53 am
Auteur

I'm sorry, but the battle scenes did absolutely nothing for me, sure they had lots of flashy CGI and stuntwork, but with me not invested in any of the characters, I was unable to muster up any kind of excitement for them. It's not just acting I dislike, the characters overall came across as bland and unmemorable for me(that Gandalf scene did not come across as "heart-wrenching" for me in the least, I saw no reason to give a damn about him, the acting in the films overall was just too damn melodramatic for me in general, even more groan-inducing was the line in ROTK "I am no man!" :roll: ) so even having a better actor then Orlando Bloom wouldn't have helped much, sometimes it's better not to be truthful to the books all the time, and in the case of the dialogue, that was definitely something I would've changed. Also Harry Potter aside i'm not much of a fantasy person, the only reason I even saw those films in the first place is because my mom and sister love them so much, otherwise I would've never bothered watching them, i'm still completely mystified as to why everyone gushes over them, they just bore me to death, ROTK especially, the ending just went on and on and I was like "enough already!" So i'm sorry, but you will never in a million years convince me that the LOTR films are any good.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:36 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next