Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:21 am

Superhero Fatigue 
Producer

Post Re: Superhero Fatigue
I was satirizing the fact that people always compare Superman's abilities with Batman's character traits by doing just the opposite.

That said, I still find Superman to be the more relatable character because of the things he cares about. Which are things that Batman has some overlap with, of course, but perhaps in a more abstract way.

As long as we're keeping score, I find Spider-Man relatable if I make a conscious effort to remember the things that mattered to me when I was in high school. This poses an obvious problem once Spider-Man graduates from high school, because the writers have always tried to make him act and think like he did as a kid while allowing him to physically age. The illusion of progress, I suppose. Frankly, he starts to look like an idiot after a while.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:39 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
Superman: Guy raised in the midwest within humble means, works hard, grows up not-too-popular but with a small circle of good friends, moves to the big city, gets a job, gets yelled at by a boss, pines for the pretty girl who has no time for him, and goes home at night to his small apartment. Occasionally saves the world.

Batman: Extraordinarily fucked up childhood, has access to literally anything money can buy, has a face and name that half the people on the planet instantly recognize, has a fleet of awesome cars both above and below ground, can break into and out of the Pentagon with just the stuff he carries in his belt, is constantly beset by beautiful women, and has a butler at his beck and call 24/7. Occasionally saves the world.

Superman, not relatable? My ass. He is the most relatable of superheroes. He's just an everyman with a special gift... and every man has a special gift.

Those are all fair points; but I talking specifically in the context of violence.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:40 am
Producer

If Batman is matched up against a human of equal or greater strength and Superman is matched up against a superhuman of equal or greater strength, there is no operative difference--unless you respect the capacity for the danger to others.

Snyder at least understands this on a very primitive, lizardlike level.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:20 pm
Director

I just have to say at this point that I think Snyder is likely the only working director right now capable of crafting those action scenes. The creative and technical process of doing superman action is different from any other kind of action. Snyder really knows how to do it in a way that would have perplexed almost any other director.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 pm
Director

Regarding superhero fatigue in general... yes, I am fatigued. I know that most of them are well-made and have their roots in character-based stories, but I'm getting a little tired of so much of the buzz being about them. Not to mention the "picky fan" mentality. I know plenty of people who care more about whether a superhero movie is "accurate" then whether it works as a movie. Where's the fun in that?

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:57 pm
Producer

I mentioned this earlier, but that buzz has been a fact of life since Tim Burton's Batman. There had been blockbusters prior to that, but Batman may very well have been the first character to have his own synergistic marketing event built around him. As Kevin Smith once pointed out, there was nowhere you could look in 1989 without seeing the Bat symbol. That's the kind of saturation marketing that has been part and parcel of not only superhero movies, but any major motion picture ever since.

Perhaps people think it's something new because it's so intimately associated with a genre that has only really taken off within the last 10 or 15 years, but it's been with us for most of our lifetimes.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:26 am