Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:35 am

Jack Nicholson Retires. 
Director

Post Jack Nicholson Retires.
http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/09/hollywood-legend-jack-nicholson-retires-from-acting/

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:11 pm
Producer

Post Re: Jack Nicholson Retires.
That's how you do it, Jack. Keep going until you simply can't.

And since we're inevitably going to start naming off our favorite Jack characters, I'll start us off: Jack Torrance.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:25 pm
Gaffer

Huh

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/new ... false.html

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:51 pm
Auteur

Quite a few of Radaronline's stories tend to be either exaggerated or flat-out false, same with TMZ, so i'm not surprised that this one is.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:54 pm
Producer

Hm. I see.

Perhaps he forgot that he retired.

Sorry. Bad joke.

Don't mind me, just digging my grave deeper here...

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:06 pm
Gaffer

Thinking of Jack retiring there made me a little sad. I generally love his performances and I started to imagine what a loss that would be to the remaining quality actors out there. Made me realize that it WILL be a sad day when he actually retires or dies.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:15 pm
Producer

Screw it. This is now the "discuss Jack Nicholson's awesomeness" thread.

I know a lot of people hate his performance in it (Vexy, at least, was disappointed by it), but I love Jack's work in The Shining, which I consider to be an all-around horror masterpiece. It is my second-favorite Stanley Kubrick movie and my first-favorite Jack Nicholson movie... yes, even over Chinatown.

It takes a lot of courage to step outside the boundaries of naturalism, which is what audiences expect from a performance by default, but Jack did it. It would be easy for such a performance to degrade into mustache-twirling serial villainy, save for the fact that Jack is ably supported by the movie itself.

It's sort of like Eric Clapton improvising with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Taken in isolation, it might just sound like a bunch of distorted blues licks, but when placed in the context of that ever-shifting framework of the jazzy rhythm sections, things start to pop out of those guitar licks that might not be apparent in a more traditional musical context. That's Jack in The Shining.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:26 pm
Gaffer

So many great performances and great character portrayed by Jack, the five that probably stand out are:

1. Garrett from "Terms of Endearment"
2. Torrance from "The Shining"
3. McMurphy from "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"
4. The Joker from "Batman"
5. Melvin from "As Good As It Gets"

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:52 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Screw it. This is now the "discuss Jack Nicholson's awesomeness" thread.

I know a lot of people hate his performance in it (Vexy, at least, was disappointed by it), but I love Jack's work in The Shining, which I consider to be an all-around horror masterpiece. It is my second-favorite Stanley Kubrick movie and my first-favorite Jack Nicholson movie... yes, even over Chinatown.

It takes a lot of courage to step outside the boundaries of naturalism, which is what audiences expect from a performance by default, but Jack did it. It would be easy for such a performance to degrade into mustache-twirling serial villainy, save for the fact that Jack is ably supported by the movie itself.

It's sort of like Eric Clapton improvising with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Taken in isolation, it might just sound like a bunch of distorted blues licks, but when placed in the context of that ever-shifting framework of the jazzy rhythm sections, things start to pop out of those guitar licks that might not be apparent in a more traditional musical context. That's Jack in The Shining.
I didn't hate his performance by any means, he was just way too over-the-top for me to really take seriously, I can see why people would like it, but it just didn't really do much for me personally, and I think in the case of that film a more subdued performance would've better(also a shorter running time, too many times I found myself starting at the clock while watching the film).

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:04 pm
Second Unit Director

MY MAN. Can I get some love for the Departed? Anyone?? No? ..ok

What an actor. Even when he's over acting he has me fooled into thinking that everyone else just isn't on his level.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:02 am
Director

Wow, now they're saying he's not retiring and that he's currently looking at scripts. Is the internet reliable for anything anymore?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:23 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Wow, now they're saying he's not retiring and that he's currently looking at scripts. Is the internet reliable for anything anymore?

It's reliable enough so long as you steer clear of gossip sites like ROL, TMZ, Star and the like.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:52 am
Producer

There's a lot to pick from, but for me it's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, because of the deep inner sadness behind all the mayhem.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:11 am
Director

Gedmud wrote:
MY MAN. Can I get some love for the Departed? Anyone?? No? ..ok

I love "The Departed" (it was my favorite film of '06), and I'm still shocked Jack didn't score another Oscar nod for his performance.

Other noteworthy Nicholson roles not yet mentioned:
George Hanson in "Easy Rider"
Robert Dupea in "Five Easy Pieces"
David Staebler in "The King of Marvin Gardens"
Buddusky in "The Last Detail"
J.J. Gittes in "Chinatown" and "The Two Jakes"
Alex Gates in "Blood and Wine"
Warren Schmidt in "About Schmidt"

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:58 am
Second Unit Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Other noteworthy Nicholson roles not yet mentioned:
George Hanson in "Easy Rider"
Robert Dupea in "Five Easy Pieces"
David Staebler in "The King of Marvin Gardens"
Buddusky in "The Last Detail"
J.J. Gittes in "Chinatown" and "The Two Jakes"
Alex Gates in "Blood and Wine"
Warren Schmidt in "About Schmidt"

Is it sickening that I haven't seen any of these above movies? :-\

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:36 am
Director

My top 5 Nicholson performances. In no particular order.

Jake Gittes in Chinatown
RP McMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Warren Schmidt in About Schmidt
Billy "Badass" Buddusky in The Last Detail
Frank Costello in The Departed.

Whether this is a rumor or true I must observe that Nicholson is one of the few actors of his generation that's managed to remain pretty consistent over the past decade. Pacino has (with a few exceptions) turned into a parody of the character actor he once was. De Niro and Hoffman still manage to show flashes of their brilliance amidst the paycheck roles. Warren Beatty has all but disappeared. Redford pops up once in a while with a directorial effort that might be good to great or pretty weak (although I am looking forward to his upcoming performance in All Is Lost). But Nicholson has stayed consistent still giving strong performances even in lesser efforts.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:24 am
Cinematographer

Man, this guy. At the top of his game, he was one of the best cinema has ever seen. I think over the last couple decades we've gotten used to the "Jack being Jack" performances, but so many of his roles I'd count as some of my favorites of all time. Jake Gittes is a highlight of course, but his work in Five Easy Pieces is close to being legendary.

I'll just post the "chicken salad" scene for those of you who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvXVP5lSF1s

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

gkanchan wrote:
1. Garrett from "Terms of Endearment"

I think I may have mentioned this before, but I saw a trailer in a theater for the sequel, and the audience cheered when Nicholson's character showed up. I think that's the only time I've heard an audience cheer during a trailer.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:48 pm
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
There's a lot to pick from, but for me it's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, because of the deep inner sadness behind all the mayhem.

Oh man, that's a good one. Have you read the book? It's a very different experience, but it's a great alternate perspective that makes it a good companion to the movie.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:32 pm