Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Five Recent Performances You Love That the Academy Didn't 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Five Recent Performances You Love That the Academy Didn't
moviemkr7 wrote:
Channing Tatum has evolved beyond his initial pretty boy image into a legitimate actor to be reckoned with.

I'd say you are being quite generous with that statement. Evolved, maybe. He's very inconsistent, not just from movie to movie but within each movie. He never holds it together for an entire film, or even an entire scene most of the time. All we ever get are tiny glimmers of something good. Sometimes we get some Meh, but we mostly get bleh. Definitely not an actor "to be reckoned with" in my opinion.

That being said I second your praise for DiCaprio in the Titanic, even though most people would not agree.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:38 pm
Producer

Channing Tatum has unquestionably gotten better but I wouldn't say he's gotten to the point yet where he deserves an Oscar nomination. Not yet. But I think he CAN get there and probably even will. Maybe the upcoming Foxcatcher?

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:26 pm
Director

Gedmud wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Channing Tatum has evolved beyond his initial pretty boy image into a legitimate actor to be reckoned with.

I'd say you are being quite generous with that statement. Evolved, maybe. He's very inconsistent, not just from movie to movie but within each movie. He never holds it together for an entire film, or even an entire scene most of the time. All we ever get are tiny glimmers of something good. Sometimes we get some Meh, but we mostly get bleh. Definitely not an actor "to be reckoned with" in my opinion.

That being said I second your praise for DiCaprio in the Titanic, even though most people would not agree.

Indeed, he was his usual bland self in both "Haywire" and "Side Effects" (supporting roles, I know, but still).

DiCaprio honestly strikes me as kind of a character actor trapped in a leading man's body. :? As good as he is in most of his leading roles, there's always something that feels somewhat amiss to me about them.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 am
Critic

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Gedmud wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Indeed, he was his usual bland self in both "Haywire" and "Side Effects" (supporting roles, I know, but still).

DiCaprio honestly strikes me as kind of a character actor trapped in a leading man's body. :? As good as he is in most of his leading roles, there's always something that feels somewhat amiss to me about them.

I feel the same way about Mark Wahlberg. When asked to be a leading man, he's blah at best and terrible at worst. But when given some character quirks, particularly childishness, he's very good.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:26 am
Producer

Di Caprio is a bankable leading man. "Bankable" being the operative word.

His career is spread think across so many leading roles that he'll probably never get real recognition.

He's very good at playing himself, - playing a troubled guy kinda vibe.

He has made being the leading man in modern thriller-types an exercise in pure mundane routine. If you live long enough, I guarantee someday you will be played by Leonardo di Caprio. Girls too!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:22 am
Producer

Leonardo di Caprio plays Mike Joooooonesssss; industrial Elecrician from Dallas, in Martin Scorese's new epic!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:28 am
Producer

Leo Di Caprio plays Susan Watkins ... Soccer Mum and part-time community worker from Vermont, in Martin Scorese's new epic!!!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:31 am
Critic

This is cheating now, because it isn't a recent performance at all, but I can't believe John Huston didn't get a nomination for Chinatown. He's not just "the bad" guy...he utterly oozes evil and rot. He embodies the corruption at the heart of the city and the movie.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:34 pm