Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Carrie (2013) 
Auteur

Post Re: Carrie (2013)
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
As for Carrie, Moritz is certainly not someone usually thought to be a high school outcast, but if her performance is good enough to convey that her upbringing makes her mannerisms off-putting to other teenagers, it will not be a problem.

I just don't think acting works that way, in my experience. Spacek was literally born to play that part. It's not just about the performance, it's about the casting. No actor is able to play any and every role. From what I see in the trailer, I don't buy it.

Well I certainly do buy her, she did well at playing a high-school outcast in Kick Ass 2, so i'm sure she can do it again in Carrie.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:58 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
Well as you said in regards to The Shining, it isn't always necessary for a film to remain true to the novel in order to work, and besides there are some things in novels which just do not translate well to the screen, and IMO this would be one of them. I don't think it's possible to make Carrie "ugly" unless you had Moretz put on a ton of makeup and gain weight like Charlize Theron did for "Monster", and oh boy would there be a ton of unfortunate implications if that did happen(basically it would send the message that "bad things only happen to you if you're ugly" or something like that) I think this is one instance where the film will be better by deviating away from the novel.

It is possible to make Carrie look unattractive. Sissy Spacek did it perfectly in the original. Like I said, I'm reserving judgment until the film comes out.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:24 am
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Well as you said in regards to The Shining, it isn't always necessary for a film to remain true to the novel in order to work, and besides there are some things in novels which just do not translate well to the screen, and IMO this would be one of them. I don't think it's possible to make Carrie "ugly" unless you had Moretz put on a ton of makeup and gain weight like Charlize Theron did for "Monster", and oh boy would there be a ton of unfortunate implications if that did happen(basically it would send the message that "bad things only happen to you if you're ugly" or something like that) I think this is one instance where the film will be better by deviating away from the novel.

It is possible to make Carrie look unattractive. Sissy Spacek did it perfectly in the original. Like I said, I'm reserving judgment until the film comes out.

Well I actually did find her attractive in the original film, so I guess it depends on what your personal definition of "unnattractive" is.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:02 pm
Director

New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwPUSWRaJo

Man, I miss Julianne Moore in movies. And although Chloe Moretz still didn't convince me as a Carrie in term of character design, except for a few vulnerable scenes, she looked to deliver another great and committed performance that I still want to see it anyway.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:18 am
Producer

Yeah, I wasn't entirely on board with this before, but that new trailer has made me cautiously optimistic. Good trailer.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 am
Second Unit Director

Not really impressed by that trailer. I'm actually hesitant about Chloe Moretz' performance after seeing it. Not sure if I will see this one or not.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

Hello Vexer.
I think that the Carrie works better if she is actually quite pretty but is so lacking in self confidence from the life she has lead up to where the movie begins, she is forced to be an outcast and dress the way she does.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:09 pm
Auteur

p604 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Hello Vexer.
I think that the Carrie works better if she is actually quite pretty but is so lacking in self confidence from the life she has lead up to where the movie begins, she is forced to be an outcast and dress the way she does.

That makes sense, that's the impression I get from the trailers.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

In the '76 version, I did get caught up in how de Palma-y Brian de Palma got with the prom scene. Have no interest in the remake.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

sunshineisles2 wrote:
de Palma-y

One day, I'm going to compile all our custom lingo into a ReelViews lexicon.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:21 pm
Director

Quote:
While most remakes take the PG-13 route these days, you can be assured that Carrie is sticking to its roots in adult content. The new remake from Boys Don't Cry director Kimberly Peirce has been rated R for bloody violence, disturbing images, language and some sexual content. This fact is pushed home by four new TV spots, offering a hint at the terrifying teenage drama we can expect when this Stephen King adaptation hits theaters on October 18, starring Chloe Moretz and Julianne Moore.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/carrie-get ... pots-debut

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:15 pm
Director

From what I'm seeing/reading I think this has the potential to be a member of the very exclusive "remake that is better than original" club. I was never a big fan of the original though, so I'm biased in that regard. The R-rating as opposed to being "just another PG13 horror" in particular is providing me with cautious optimism.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:37 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
From what I'm seeing/reading I think this has the potential to be a member of the very exclusive "remake that is better than original" club. I was never a big fan of the original though, so I'm biased in that regard. The R-rating as opposed to being "just another PG13 horror" in particular is providing me with cautious optimism.

Having watched the trailer, my one problem is that they don't seem to have done a good enough job of making Chloe Grace Moretz look "plain". The first film had Sissy Spacek who frankly isn't exactly among the best looking actresses to have worked in Hollywood, so they were easily able to sell the "Plain Jane" angle. Chloe isn't even "Hollywood ugly"- it also doesn't help that her mother is played by Julianne Moore, someone else who would need prosthetic make-up to look ugly.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Having watched the trailer, my one problem is that they don't seem to have done a good enough job of making Chloe Grace Moretz look "plain". The first film had Sissy Spacek who frankly isn't exactly among the best looking actresses to have worked in Hollywood, so they were easily able to sell the "Plain Jane" angle. Chloe isn't even "Hollywood ugly"- it also doesn't help that her mother is played by Julianne Moore, someone else who would need prosthetic make-up to look ugly.

Well everyone has their own opinion of who looks "plain" or not and for me Spacek was never all that "plain" looking so I can buy Moretz in the role just fine, she dosen't have to be "Hollywood ugly" to be convincing, i'm certainly not expecting her to gain weight and put on tons of makeup ala Charlize Theron in Monster.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:23 pm
Director

I actually think De Palma's movie was better than the book on which it was based. The back and forth structure of King's original book is really clunky. Seriously, it's not his best work. Despite the R rating, there are limitations since Moretz is under 18. It doesn't matter what it's rated, because it's legally impossible for certain scenes (like the opening) not to be watered down, no pun intended.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:28 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Having watched the trailer, my one problem is that they don't seem to have done a good enough job of making Chloe Grace Moretz look "plain".

I don't think the essence of the story intrinsically relies on Carrie being "ugly". It relies on her being a social outcast - and there can be any number of reasons for that. Sure this version won't be 100% "true" to the book, but then neither was Lord of the Rings and most people weren't too phased about that.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:33 am
Second Unit Director

Well it looks like JB was not a fan of the original. Check out this strongly negative review of the original Carrie, in which he praises Sissy Spacek's performance but excoriates everything else about the film.

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/c/carrie.html

I'm curious what he would make of the remake/reimagination/re-adaptation.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:57 am
Auteur

StatGuy2000 wrote:
Well it looks like JB was not a fan of the original. Check out this strongly negative review of the original Carrie, in which he praises Sissy Spacek's performance but excoriates everything else about the film.

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/c/carrie.html

I'm curious what he would make of the remake/reimagination/re-adaptation.

This is one case where I can see him finding the remake an improvement.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:27 pm
Director

Reactions from the buyers staged or not (I personally think at least 2 of them might look real), this is a pretty cool viral marketing for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlOxlSOr3_M

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:11 pm
Director

Reviews are mostly negative, as expected. One of the captions even says "just rent the original." De Palma may have petered out by now, but let's give one of the most audacious directors of that generation some appreciation :)

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:36 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next