Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Chris Lane Murder, and a conflict 
Auteur

Post Re: The Chris Lane Murder, and a conflict
NotHughGrant wrote:
Yeah, not shooting people is really difficult.

This morning alone, I shot 3 people.

Wow, that was so not what I was talking about at all, not even close! :shock:

You are so incredibly racist you don't even realize it :roll: :evil:

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:57 pm
Producer

On the contrary, vexoid. You are racist for infantising the black population.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:33 pm
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:

I'm the one that's racist? Now that's truly hilarious :lol:
You have to be the single most delusional and asinine individual i've ever come across. No one's "infantisizing"(which isn't even a real word BTW, which just makes you look even more ignorant) anyone. You're just making excuses to try and justify you're own prejudice.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:41 pm
Critic

Once again I'm going to make the point that this is Somalia -- don't bother tagging each other's posts for me to see since there is no law and order here.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:23 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Once again I'm going to make the point that this is Somalia -- don't bother tagging each other's posts for me to see since there is no law and order here.

You're a damn mod Kuznie! ACT LIKE ONE!

The only reason why there's no order here is that Pedro barely comes around and you're too lazy to do your job. At least I had the goddamn sense and courtesy to have myself de-modded so people didn't think I still cared about them around here.

In the glory days, flame wars like this...I would've locked the thread. Trevor would've burned it to the ground. Rob would've said something and then everything would be cool cause Rob commanded respect.

You disappoint me Kunzie.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:57 pm
Second Unit Director

The flaming is funny. And I like the idea of a Reelviews Hamsterdam. Vex and NotHugh are like parodies of themselves here.

Feel free to look up your own Eddie-Griffin-eating-popcorn GIF.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:37 pm
Critic

patrick wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

You're a damn mod Kuznie! ACT LIKE ONE!

The only reason why there's no order here is that Pedro barely comes around and you're too lazy to do your job. At least I had the goddamn sense and courtesy to have myself de-modded so people didn't think I still cared about them around here.

In the glory days, flame wars like this...I would've locked the thread. Trevor would've burned it to the ground. Rob would've said something and then everything would be cool cause Rob commanded respect.

You disappoint me Kunzie.

Why on earth would I lock this thread? It's an open forum discussion. For people who want to discuss a controversial issue. It isn't bringing down a movie conversation or interrupting people's thoughts or doing any harm to anyone who doesn't want to participate.

And if you were around here more, instead of just showing up to criticize me, you might have realized that my comment wasn't in reference to the entire Reelviews website, but rather to the Open Forum, which I declared "Somalia" in one of the previous conversations of this ilk.

"Too lazy to do my job?"

--I'm still here, Patrick. Making threads, trying to start conversation, sanding down my formerly rough edges. What have you done recently, other than this misguided attack on me?

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 pm
Second Unit Director

Those jobs you listed...I noticed that keeping the peace wasn't one of them. That's pretty much what a mod is supposed to do! You see the peace between Vexer and NotHugh? We do have a rule against flaming and I think ad hominem attacks on their supposed racism counts and requires some sort of intervention.

And let's see...who posted about Affleck being Batman? Who actually PM'd JB about deleting threeperf's account? Who posts thoughts on about half of what JB reviews? I may not be here as much as I used too but I'm still here only saying something if I think I should unlike saying something because I think I have to.

Just because this is the Open Forum doesn't give people the license to insult/flame/demean each other. We had a respectful discussion about religion years ago where nobody insulted each other or anything. No reason why this can't happen again.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:14 pm
Critic

patrick wrote:
Those jobs you listed...I noticed that keeping the peace wasn't one of them. That's pretty much what a mod is supposed to do! You see the peace between Vexer and NotHugh? We do have a rule against flaming and I think ad hominem attacks on their supposed racism counts and requires some sort of intervention.

And let's see...who posted about Affleck being Batman? Who actually PM'd JB about deleting threeperf's account? Who posts thoughts on about half of what JB reviews? I may not be here as much as I used too but I'm still here only saying something if I think I should unlike saying something because I think I have to.

Just because this is the Open Forum doesn't give people the license to insult/flame/demean each other. We had a respectful discussion about religion years ago where nobody insulted each other or anything. No reason why this can't happen again.

Well we differ on the role of a mod, particularly in an open forum, but I'm just happy to see some sparks out of you. Come back Patrick, and post beyond the new JB reviews, which we all know are the shallowest areas in the forum pool.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 pm
Second Unit Director

Those days are over my friend, at least for now. Steady employment has ruined my appetite for movies outside of new releases. I have become a stupid commoner again...and that's ok. Maybe one day I'll come back full force

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:59 pm
Assistant Director

I started this thread basically because I needed a little advice on what to make of a real-life situation and how to counter some of the political punches thrown my way about it. Somehow I knew the whole time it would get ugly. But that's life. This is an Open Forum, after all.

At any rate, I feel a lot better and less conflicted about the whole matter.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:45 pm
Producer

patrick wrote:
Those days are over my friend, at least for now. Steady employment has ruined my appetite for movies outside of new releases. I have become a stupid commoner again...and that's ok. Maybe one day I'll come back full force

That seems peculiar. Whenever I find my enthusiasm waning, new releases are the first casualties.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:45 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

You have to be the single most delusional and asinine individual i've ever come across. No one's "infantisizing"(which isn't even a real word BTW, which just makes you look even more ignorant) anyone. You're just making excuses to try and justify you're own prejudice.

Let me get this straight, perplexer. I want black people to be treated exactly the same as white people, and that makes me a racist. You want black people to be treated like lab rats, and that makes you what? A liberal? A progressive? A Democrat?

Sorry, but this subject is obviously beyond your remit. Perhaps you should be worrying about Lindsay Lohan's up and coming suicide attempt instead.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:54 am
Producer

patrick wrote:

Kudos to James for allowing it to stay here. Why should we censor everything. SO far I've been called a racist about 53 times; the worst human being in the world, or something; a POS (whiich I had to google); and that old classic, a C*nt!

If anyone should want this and the Trayvon Martin thread taken down it's me - but me being an adult, I have no problem at all with any of it.

Let it all stay, as long as it doesn't cross over into the reviews section. Which it certainly won't on my part.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:58 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Let me get this straight, perplexer. I want black people to be treated exactly the same as white people, and that makes me a racist. You want black people to be treated like lab rats, and that makes you what? A liberal? A progressive? A Democrat?

You want them to be treated the same yet you sterotype them as being violent hoodlums? Wow, way to backpeddle. I don't confine myself to any one category, some things i'm liberal aobut, others i'm conservative, I guess that would make me a moderate, but whatever.

What do you call yourself exactly? You're illogical ramblings are starting to make the Tea Party look sane by comparison.

Lab rats? seriously? :? Now, you're just spewing complete and utter nosense, it's painfully obvious you have absolutely no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Beyond my remit? What? :lol: It's obvious you're the one who dosen't have the maturity to handle this subject, you're just desperately grasping at strwas trying to convince people that you're not racist, but nobody's buying it. Oh, and If anyone's gonna be attempting suicide it's Zimmerman, I have a feeling all those people crying out for his blood is going to get to him one of these days.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:07 am
Producer

I have no interest in convincing anyone I'm not a racist. My conscience is clear.

And wishing Zimmerman's murder or suicide isn't very nice of you, vex. Do you hate hispanics or something?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:11 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
I have no interest in convincing anyone I'm not a racist. My conscience is clear.

And wishing Zimmerman's murder or suicide isn't very nice of you, vex. Do you hate hispanics or something?

Yeah you can keep telling yourself that all you want, but no one with even a modicrum of intelligence believes it. Now you're saying I hate Hispanics eh? :? Wow you just make even less sense with every single post, way to be obtuse :lol:

Oh and i'm not wishing suicide on him, i'm just saying with everyone's eyes on him, I wouldn't be surprised if he does do it.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
no one with even a modicrum of intelligence believes it

Speak for yourself when you're calling someone a racist, Vex. It's just good form. Also, relentlessly insulting him doesn't make you look like the bigger or better man, I promise.

NotHughGrant wrote:
Personally, i'd take the radical step of treating blacks exactly like whites and hold black communities to the same standards as white ones.

I don't live in the UK and I'm not overly informed on the racial systems there, so I won't comment. But in the States, the disparity of opportunity is all about poverty, not about race. And if saying what you said doesn't make you a Nazi baby-eater, me saying that blacks face a tougher road doesn't make me a leftist tree-hugger. Blacks still occupy 40% of our prisons even though they're only 13% of the population.

Does that mean people don't have individual choices? Of course not. Those who say blacks have no chance are as offensive as those who say all blacks are criminals. But clearly there's a systematic breakdown, not just of the race aspect (although racism remains prevalent in the States), but of the aspect of where those born into poverty are ending up in the alleged land of opportunity.

We don't have to agree on the solutions. If you think that one's blackness makes them more likely to be lazy, a criminal, violent, etc -- then yes, you're a racist scum unfit for human interaction. If you think all black people are treated with equality, then well, you're incorrect, but that alone doesn't make you a racist.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:07 pm
Auteur

Not trying to look "better" i'm just calling it like I see it, if that means being "insulting" then so be it.

I never said minorities have "no chance" but the system is heavily stacked against them, it's very common for folks of color to get pulled over or strip searched by police for no reason other then supposedly "fitting the description" and blacks especially are much more likely to be convincted of drug offenses then caucasians(48 times more likely to be specific).

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:20 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
blacks especially are much more likely to be convincted of drug offenses then caucasians(48 times more likely to be specific).

Would that be just the average everyday black person or the black person dealing or abusing drugs?

So many statistics and anecdotal statements are thrown around often as if in a vacuum with little regard for circumstantial context. Issues as large as these can't be simplistically boiled down to naked statistics and sound bites when looking for root cause and potential solutions.

As far as the OP concerning KWRoss' old acquaintance who hates all things Obama, there's not a lot you can do about such absolutists. People on the right had to endure several years of wingnuts on the left criticizing every one of GW Bush's moves, before that people on the left had to endure the Clinton bashers, and now we have the Obama bashers. And there's your history. Obviously we've had extremist opinions for much longer, but ever since Al Gore invented the internet, that has ushered in a whole new level of bashing and the ability to get your message in front of hundreds/thousands/millions of eyeballs without it costing you an arm and a leg. This is the reality we now live in and I don't see it changing any time soon.

How do you deal with it? Well you can respond to it and let it the ensuing flame war damage your soul, or you can just ignore it and move on with your life. Who gives a shit what that asshole thinks anyway?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:06 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next