Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:21 pm

Brian De Palma 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Brian De Palma
I haven't seen a lot of his most well-regarded stuff. And although what I've seen, I kinda enjoyed, it hasn't been enough to make me a fan.

I thought Carrie or Scarface were okay, good, but not much else.

I did like The Untouchables, but I haven't seen it in more than 10-15 years.

Casualties of War I always bring up when talking about Vietnam War films because I agree it's very underrated and rarely mentioned.

I also think Mission: Impossible is pretty good, but I suppose that's less DePalma than his other films.

Snake Eyes, Mission to Mars, and The Bonfire of the Vanities? Meh... from "meh", to tedious, to pretty bad.

I remember thinking Femme Fatale was pretty good but, like The Untouchables, I haven't seen it in a long time.

Finally, I never finished Carlito's Way. Kinda absurd story, but I was a teen and started watching it, and I was liking it well enough. But when there was still about half an hour to go, I had to go return it. For some reason, I've never picked it up again.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Thief12 wrote:
I haven't seen a lot of his most well-regarded stuff. And although what I've seen, I kinda enjoyed, it hasn't been enough to make me a fan.

I thought Carrie or Scarface were okay, good, but not much else.

I did like The Untouchables, but I haven't seen it in more than 10-15 years.

Casualties of War I always bring up when talking about Vietnam War films because I agree it's very underrated and rarely mentioned.

I also think Mission: Impossible is pretty good, but I suppose that's less DePalma than his other films.

Snake Eyes, Mission to Mars, and The Bonfire of the Vanities? Meh... from "meh", to tedious, to pretty bad.

I remember thinking Femme Fatale was pretty good but, like The Untouchables, I haven't seen it in a long time.

Finally, I never finished Carlito's Way. Kinda absurd story, but I was a teen and started watching it, and I was liking it well enough. But when there was still about half an hour to go, I had to go return it. For some reason, I've never picked it up again.
Carlito's Way was kinda average, like Scarface it suffered form being way too long for it's own good, and I hate the film gave away how it ended in the opening scene, it totally drained the suspense from the climatic chase at the end.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 pm
Director

I've only seen a handful of DePalma films. He really doesn't interest me that much. I'd say his first 2 films (which were also Robert De Niro's first 2 films), the counterculture satires "Greetings" and its semi-sequel "Hi, Mom!," are my favorite films of his. "Sisters" is also good. "Get to Know Your Rabbit" and "Phantom of the Paradise" are also fairly decent. And, as someone who grew up on a healthy share of goofball '80s comedies, I also have a soft spot for "Wise Guys." Captain Lou Albano, of all people, totally steals that movie.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:17 pm
Producer

It is unsurprising that Mario himself would be the star attraction of anything.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:22 am