Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:22 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Ben Affleck says I'm Batman! 
Author Message
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
oakenshield32 wrote:
I like the idea as it is a good match as Affleck can match Cavill blandness for blandness as actors. I hope they let him use his Boston Southie accent. That would be wicked smaaat. Or as Patton Oswalt said "How do you like them apples. Riddl-ah."

For me Brandon Routh was much more bland as Superman.


Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:37 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
MGamesCook wrote:
It definitely might be too famous, it'll be Superman vs. Ben Affleck instead of Batman. But maybe Affleck did screen tests for Snyder and he liked it? Personally, I don't find any of Affleck's thrillers to be superior. He's a better actor than he is a director. To be honest, the only reason this is out of left field is because Affleck is so damn overexposed. But if I pretend that Affleck is an unknown...I could definitely see him doing this part. He's a natural fit for Bruce Wayne, he can pull of the brooding look pretty well.

In fact, now that I think more about Daredevil, when you think about it this is really no more unexpected a piece of casting than Crowe and Costner were for Steel. Seems as though type-casting is becoming the theme of Snyder's franchise. What's next, Jim Carrey as The Joker?


LMFAO at Affleck being a better actor than director.


Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:39 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1599
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
Quote:
LMFAO at Affleck being a better actor than director.


Thanks for the thoughtful reply, but Argo doesn't have a single pictorial composition. Not one. It's one of the ugliest movies I've ever seen. Man of Steel has...I dunno, hundreds of pictorial compositions. I also think Argo's longest shot lasts about 3 seconds, while Man of Steel is packed to the brim with impressively long shots. Argo has maybe one or two master shots, while Steel has a couple dozen. And this is not a subjective argument, by the way. I'd be happy to pick apart these two movies shot by shot and prove it. I think Affleck is an obvious choice for Batman. Personally, I'm happy that he'll be taking a break from dishing out dry Oscar bait. I respect his change of trajectory as much as I did Nolan's move away from the superhero genre. Now that both men have gone through their "I just want to be loved" phase, they may actually be interested in trying new things and thinking outside the box.


Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:31 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7276
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
LMFAO at Affleck being a better actor than director.


Thanks for the thoughtful reply, but Argo doesn't have a single pictorial composition. Not one. It's one of the ugliest movies I've ever seen. Man of Steel has...I dunno, hundreds of pictorial compositions. I also think Argo's longest shot lasts about 3 seconds, while Man of Steel is packed to the brim with impressively long shots. Argo has maybe one or two master shots, while Steel has a couple dozen. And this is not a subjective argument, by the way. I'd be happy to pick apart these two movies shot by shot and prove it. I think Affleck is an obvious choice for Batman. Personally, I'm happy that he'll be taking a break from dishing out dry Oscar bait. I respect his change of trajectory as much as I did Nolan's move away from the superhero genre. Now that both men have gone through their "I just want to be loved" phase, they may actually be interested in trying new things and thinking outside the box.


He's directed three movies. Two of them were superior genre pieces. The third was a decent genre piece that somehow won a Best Picture. I don't think he is "taking a break from dishing out dry Oscar bait." I fucking WISH we lived in a world where Gone Baby Gone was Oscar bait.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:19 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1599
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
None of afflecks movies have pictorial or rhythmic qualities that are very interesting. But I would never expect any of my favorite movies to win oscars. Personally I think RE5 deserved a nod for production design, but at the end of the day it's better for that type of movie to remain what it is: a guilty pleasure. In interviews, Snyder says his goal was to make an "unapologetic" superman movie. We could debate what he really meant by that, but I think it has to do with his desire to challenge assumptions about sophistication in an action movie - so he made a good piece of craftsmanship completely devoid of literary qualities.


Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:19 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 988
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
JamesKunz wrote:
I fucking WISH we lived in a world where Gone Baby Gone was Oscar bait.


Yes! That's his best movie IMO. I've had some interesting debates with friends about the ending.

As for Affleck as Batman, I think it's important to remember that this isn't the same Affleck who appeared in Daredevil and (GASP!) Gigli. His "pretty boy" and "Jen & Ben" days are long behind him, and he's made great strides both as an actor and filmmaker. Could this work? Absolutely. But it could also go so wrong that it will have me yearning for Bale/Nolan from the first scene onward. We'll have to wait and see.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:31 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7276
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
KWRoss wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
I fucking WISH we lived in a world where Gone Baby Gone was Oscar bait.


Yes! That's his best movie IMO. I've had some interesting debates with friends about the ending.



I use the ending (described -- I CERTAINLY don't show the film in class) with my 8th graders to discuss morality and the law

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:36 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1599
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
This must be Snyders wet dream come true. He's a director who has around 0% chance of ever being nominated for an Oscar. Now he has the power to boss around the director whose movie just won best picture. Yeah, I'd be pretty pumped right now if I were Snyder.


Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:16 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7276
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
I didn't make this quiz, but I wish I did. It's brilliant. Please play it:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/druhutch/no-good-val-kilmer-gifs

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:42 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1341
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
If the "the only reason this is out of left field is because Affleck is so damn overexposed" is in referring to me, I just want to chime in my own thoughts when I wrote that that I meant it seemed he was taking a less blockbuster route now, and also that I thought he wouldn't touch a superhero genre after Daredevil.

Your last post about Snyder bossing Affleck sounds really petty though :lol:. I guess Affleck is the new Nolan for you now?


Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:46 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1599
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
peng wrote:
If the "the only reason this is out of left field is because Affleck is so damn overexposed" is in referring to me, I just want to chime in my own thoughts when I wrote that that I meant it seemed he was taking a less blockbuster route now, and also that I thought he wouldn't touch a superhero genre after Daredevil.

Your last post about Snyder bossing Affleck sounds really petty though :lol:. I guess Affleck is the new Nolan for you now?


No, it's just an amusing irony. Definitely wasnt in response to your first post. Snyder is the new Nolan really; overbearing seriousness, but with the bonus of visual beauty, breathtaking action, and a slightly satirical edge.


Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:30 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7276
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
MGamesCook wrote:
peng wrote:
If the "the only reason this is out of left field is because Affleck is so damn overexposed" is in referring to me, I just want to chime in my own thoughts when I wrote that that I meant it seemed he was taking a less blockbuster route now, and also that I thought he wouldn't touch a superhero genre after Daredevil.

Your last post about Snyder bossing Affleck sounds really petty though :lol:. I guess Affleck is the new Nolan for you now?


No, it's just an amusing irony. Definitely wasnt in response to your first post. Snyder is the new Nolan really; overbearing seriousness, but with the bonus of visual beauty, breathtaking action, and a slightly satirical edge.


Really? I don't find them too similar. Nolan is far more old school, whereas Snyder wants every frame to pop with pizzazz

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:43 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
JamesKunz wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
peng wrote:
If the "the only reason this is out of left field is because Affleck is so damn overexposed" is in referring to me, I just want to chime in my own thoughts when I wrote that that I meant it seemed he was taking a less blockbuster route now, and also that I thought he wouldn't touch a superhero genre after Daredevil.

Your last post about Snyder bossing Affleck sounds really petty though :lol:. I guess Affleck is the new Nolan for you now?


No, it's just an amusing irony. Definitely wasnt in response to your first post. Snyder is the new Nolan really; overbearing seriousness, but with the bonus of visual beauty, breathtaking action, and a slightly satirical edge.


Really? I don't find them too similar. Nolan is far more old school, whereas Snyder wants every frame to pop with pizzazz
There's value in both approaches, and both directors have their flaws. But i'm interested to see what tone Snyder goes for with Batman, he'll look like a copycat of Nolan if he tries to go down the dark and realistic route of the Dark Knight trilogy.


Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:04 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1599
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
I don't see anything old school about Nolan, and there's nothing anti-old school about Snyder. There have been directors who wanted their frames to pop with pizzazz for as long as there have been movies. The real difference is that Snyder holds himself responsible for every second of the movie experience, down to each individual frame. Every shot is composed delicately. Nolan has no such presence. All of his movies look like they were directed by the second unit.

Man of Steel in many ways does feel like a Nolan movie, but if a Nolan movie had a director with a specific point of view. I love both seriousness and realism in movies. All I want to see is that the director create a very specific, hopefully unique experience, shot by shot by shot. Snyder has an animator's sense of that process. He has some kinship to Brad Bird as well.


Last edited by MGamesCook on Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:11 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
There have been reports that Bryan Cranston is confirmed for Lex Luthor. On the one hand, this comes from third-party news sites that don't name their sources, but they're not pulling the usual bullshit of putting everything in question marks and quotation marks. So there's a chance that this is actually legit.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:14 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 988
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
Well guys, my feelings regarding the casting news have taken a left turn. I, like most people, expressed a reaction of some kind to it. But the way this story is running its course got me thinking.....

Would anyone else be okay with a one-year moratorium on superhero movies altogether? Not only are there a ridiculous number of them released each year, but it seems to be where 90% of everyday dialogue regarding movies is concentrated. Obviously, it isn't realistic to have this because they're one of the few proven moneymakers in the business, but hypothetically speaking, I'd kind of enjoy a one-year break from it.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:18 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
KWRoss wrote:
Well guys, my feelings regarding the casting news have taken a left turn. I, like most people, expressed a reaction of some kind to it. But the way this story is running its course got me thinking.....

Would anyone else be okay with a one-year moratorium on superhero movies altogether? Not only are there a ridiculous number of them released each year, but it seems to be where 90% of everyday dialogue regarding movies is concentrated. Obviously, it isn't realistic to have this because they're one of the few proven moneymakers in the business, but hypothetically speaking, I'd kind of enjoy a one-year break from it.

I wouldn't mind a break myself, but I just know that's never gonna happen. They're pretty much the only risk-free films for Hollywood to invest in.


Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:33 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 988
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
Vexer wrote:
I wouldn't mind a break myself, but I just know that's never gonna happen. They're pretty much the only risk-free films for Hollywood to invest in.


Yeah I know. I enjoyed all of this year's so far, but none of them provoked a "WOW" reaction and had me going out of my way to strongly recommend them to the non-fanboy. I give a slight edge to The Wolverine over the others, and Thor: The Dark World looks promising, but I'm just getting a little weary of nearly every movie being an adaptation. Everything is just an extension of a world that a chunk of viewers are already familiar with. Sure, Star Wars and Fast & Furious are franchises, but it's easy to forget that those were originally conceived as movies. Ditto for The Hangover and Despicable Me.

Bottom line: the dialogue we have about whether a movie works as a movie seems drowned out by all the "they fucked up __________" and "that's not accurate because ___________". And that's getting tiresome.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:51 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
Kick Ass 2 was actually my favorite superhero film this year, and more then anything I want to finally see a Deadpool film.

Personally I don't give two shits about how "faithful" a film is to it's source material as long as it's entertaining.


Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:02 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1599
Post Re: Ben Affleck says I'm Batman!
KWRoss wrote:
Well guys, my feelings regarding the casting news have taken a left turn. I, like most people, expressed a reaction of some kind to it. But the way this story is running its course got me thinking.....

Would anyone else be okay with a one-year moratorium on superhero movies altogether? Not only are there a ridiculous number of them released each year, but it seems to be where 90% of everyday dialogue regarding movies is concentrated. Obviously, it isn't realistic to have this because they're one of the few proven moneymakers in the business, but hypothetically speaking, I'd kind of enjoy a one-year break from it.


Good point, I'd be down. But the main issue for me is talking about movies that haven't been made yet. It's an unbalanced seesaw, 2 years of hype on one side, 2 hours of actually watching the movie on the other. This is expounded upon well in this article:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/dear ... man-years/

Whose main point is essentially that the news has unfairly distracted from a much more immediate item of interest: The World's End. Also talks about how the internet lives in the hypothetical future and not the present.


Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:51 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr