Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:23 am

Hey what are our Amelie thoughts? 
Critic

Post Hey what are our Amelie thoughts?
I fucking hated it when I saw it 5 years ago. But it's stuck to film culture like gum to my boot. What do we think about it around these parts?

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:37 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Hey what are our Amelie thoughts?
I mostly liked it, but I like movies with upbeat moments in them. I think I actually liked it more for the settings and the actors (even though I don't speak French) than I did for the actual story. About a 6 or 7 out of 10 for me.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:41 pm
Second Unit Director

I saw it a few years ago and I don't really remember much but I don't remember disliking it.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 pm
Director

I really liked it, but I was a kid when I saw it (12?). Remember that the offbeat quirks are balanced with a pretty sweet love story. Though the matter-of-fact, weird sex scenes threw my young brain for a loop a bit.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 pm
Cinematographer

I'm a fan, although I understand why it's garnered such polarizing opinions. Truth be told, there are times I've watched it when I've felt it was too precious for its own good. But I think Jeunet gets away with it for the most part, mainly because of his playful way with visuals.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
I'm a fan, although I understand why it's garnered such polarizing opinions. Truth be told, there are times I've watched it when I've felt it was too precious for its own good. But I think Jeunet gets away with it for the most part, mainly because of his playful way with visuals.

I'll definitely grant you his playful visuals, but I think they were far-better suited to the world of City of Lost Children than a saccharine romance.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:59 pm
Producer

I liked it. The second half doesn't match the first, for the simple fact that it doesn't seem to fully know how to conclude.

But it does a wonderful job at creating a kind of otherworldlyness inside the character's mind.
It's a nice movie because it's a quaint and humane look at lonliness

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:56 am
Producer

I thought it was cutesy and coy, and Amelie somewhat irritating. There was some surprise when it lost the Oscar to "No Man's Land," which is just an okay film but an effective satire in its second half.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:17 am
Director

It's decent. I liked it a lot better than Jeunet's farcical take on the Alien series although I'm not really a huge Jeunet fan (I did like A Very Long Engagement and Micmacs).

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:21 am
Second Unit Director

I like it just fine, but it lives or dies on the main character in the same way a lot of movies do. My girlfriend's mom doesn't like Finding Nemo for similar reasons, although Dory isn't quite the main character.

That said, I thought the entire forum hated it. Or maybe it was Mark and Rob and various others who are no longer with us.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:33 am
Cinematographer

About 12 years ago I knew a girl who absolutely loved that movie. She wanted to watch it just about every day for a while there. I think I own it on DVD (her recommendation) but have only seen it once. Didn't hate it, didn't love it, I guess like some others I kinda liked it; but not enough to throw it in the player in these 12 years.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:52 pm
Director

I liked Amelie, though it's not the sort of film that generally appeals to me. It was a well done.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:39 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

I'll definitely grant you his playful visuals, but I think they were far-better suited to the world of City of Lost Children than a saccharine romance.

I wonder though just how much Marc Caro was responsible for the visuals in Delicatessen and The City Of Lost Children. There's a pretty big leap in style between those two films and Jeunet's later works (I haven't seen Alien: Resurrection, but I get the feeling most people would rather forget that one).

With that said, I do agree, and for the record, Amelie would be fourth on my list of Jeunet films, behind A Very Long Engagement and the two Caro collaborations.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:39 pm
Profile WWW