Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:37 am

Adult language in movies for younger viewers 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
Ken wrote:
And yet he asked a forum full of childless 20-somethings a question.

Probably the majority of the population here, but by no means the entirety of the population here.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:51 am
Second Unit Director

Johnny Larue wrote:
Ken wrote:
And yet he asked a forum full of childless 20-somethings a question.

Probably the majority of the population here, but by no means the entirety of the population here.

I was a bit curious about what those with children (Casualdad, Calvero and a few others) might have to say, but in no way would try to isolate a thread to parents. Childless does not mean never-have-been-around-small-children. Niece, nephew, Godfather, younger siblings, friends with kids? It's hard to think of someone as completely isolatated from the development of small children. I've even read threads here (posted by some 20-somethings, I suspect) lamenting the attendance of small children at movies even the kid-free 20-somethings would consider inappropriate. I'd still consider observations from these/you guys valid and won't discount someone's opinion directly. I place value on this input as well. Now, had I asked here for a woman's opinion...

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:39 am
Critic

calvero wrote:
It’s always amusing to hear what a bunch of twentysomething childless dudes(including the 'slampiece' frat guy, lol) think about raising children. kinda like hearing what a 12 year old thinks about having a girlfriend(or wife)

I know I'm being captain obvious here, but you will never know what it’s like being a parent until you are actually one.
and this is from a childless 30something guy(so feel free to call me full of shit)
quite a few people I'm close to have kids, kids I've seen almost every week since birth, and man is being a parent intense. It’s a 24/7 job with no handbook, with so many dilemmas arising almost every day(some of you should probably stick to having a dog)
It changes you irrevocably, far more than any other stepping stone in life(college, career, marriage)
So I think it’s sort of ridiculous to call Awf Hand a 'prude,' you don’t know anything about who is his, or what his life is like. The whole being a parent thing is pretty complex. you and your kid don't live in a bubble, but actually have to interact with other people(including teachers - do you think you'd be cool with being called into a meeting because your kid keeps calling everyone at school 'penis breath?' or dropping the f bomb? or shoves the other kids a bit too much? yeah sure, you hipsters would laugh it off, whatever. you don't know what the hell you'd do and you know it. I see it all the time. people thinking they'd parent a certain way when they were young(and clueless) and seeing how much more complicated it was in reality. there's nothing wrong with wanting to protect the innocence of your kid just a little longer. parents aren't clueless, they know they can't protect them from everything. and they know their kid may act a certain way when they aren't around, they just don't want to see it. who knows, by attempting to shield his kids, Awf Hand may be preventing them from being some misogynistic frat boy in 10 years who thinks all women are slampieces:)

And 6-8 year olds are basically infants, I’m the godfather to 2 of them, I see how innocent they are. it makes me sad to hear any kids of that age curse(even pretty mild profanity), even if they are good kids. It’s just not a pleasant sound. I’ve written some pretty hard R scripts, I don’t think of myself as a ‘prude’ in any way. I don’t expect guys just out of college or graduate school to understand, I used to be just like you, I never could have imagined myself feeling so protective towards any children – I used to think they were pretty annoying in general actually. Shocker, a 35 year old who thinks differently about life than he did at 25. Nah, that could never happen to you guys:)

You know what's such an annoyingly-pernicious myth? That you can't have an opinion on [thing/experience] X until you've experienced it. I'm a teacher with seven siblings. I don't think it's out of the question to assume I might know a thing or two about young children. But even if I wasn't, this is a particularly dumb place to pull the "You can't imagine it unless you've been there" card, because all of us have. Literally every one. We've all experienced parenting directly, and thus can have an opinion on it. Just like I would never presume that non-teachers' opinions on teaching are worthless--they may not have taught anyone themselves, but they have certainly experienced teaching.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:08 pm
Auteur

Right, you don't have to be a parent to know kids. Personally i'd be more concerned if the kids were visiting websites they shouldn't be seeing, rather then if they happened to hear a few bad words.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:12 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
There's nothing inherently ridiculous sounding about the word, we just think there is due to a general prudishness in our culture. Which Awf Hand is clearly reinforcing in our nation's children

Well, for as long as I can remember, I've always thought 'boy, what a stupid word' about it. Granted, I generally think the English words for a lot of organs are ridiculous- or unpleasant-sounding. :?

But back to profanity: I was pretty much completely desensitized to curse words by the time I was 13. I guess one can thank the public school system for that. :P

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:29 am