Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:23 am

Five Recent Performances You Love That the Academy Didn't 
Critic

Post Re: Five Recent Performances You Love That the Academy Didn't
Blonde Almond wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
I haven't seen the Orphanage (I take it I should?)

With October around the corner, you should definitely set aside some time to watch it, although I think I value it a lot higher than most people on this forum (Pete if I remember right also found it worthwhile). Guillermo del Toro serves as the executive producer, and it has a similar feel as The Devil's Backbone.

A film I admired more than I liked, for what it's worth. Still, Orphanage looks interesting

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:36 pm
Director

So many of these that it's a shame you only want us to name 5.

Jennifer Garner in 13 Going on 30 - Hey, if Tom Hanks can get nominated for Big, why not her? I thought she was every bit as wonderful in this movie as Hanks was in Big. Especially her realization that she grows up to become a horrible person. Garner also deserved a nomination for Juno, but I choose this performance because it's particularly underrated from almost everyone.

Emile Hirsch in Into the Wild - IMO, this was the best performance from leading male actor in 2007. Yes, better than Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood. Actually Day-Lewis came in third place in that category, because I would rank Tommy Lee Jones' performance in In the Valley of Elah a head of him. But he actually did get nominated, Hirsch, shamefully, did not. I thought Hirsch was incredible in this movie. The movie should have gotten nominations for best picture and best director as well.

Rosemarie DeWitt in Rachel Getting Married - I was thrilled that Anne Hathaway got nominated, she was utterly amazing in the movie. But DeWitt matched her scene for scene. These two have such a complicated relationship that stems from a tragedy that occurred years earlier in which the entire family has never fully recovered. Such a heartbreaking movie, and ALL of the performances were magnificent with DeWitt being especially great playing the title character. It really is criminal that such a wonderful performance didn't get nominated.

Liam Neeson in The Grey - I'm trying to only mention one performance per movie, which means had to choose between Neeson or Frank Grillo in The Grey. Well, I choose Neeson but could easily have gone with Grillo. But Neeson gives such a stirring performance especially late in the movie when he, a guy who up to this point was an atheist, actually begs god for help. And then of course says, Screw it, I'll do it myself. Haha. But its such a gut wrenching moment and this is, IMO, Neeson's best performance since he his nominated turn in Schindler's List.

Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta - He basically only has his voice to use, but it's a truly remarkable voice and Weaving manages to leave such a powerful, indelible, forceful impression bring such a tragic and dark and compelling character to such vivid life.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:31 am
Producer

Quote:
Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta - He basically only has his voice to use, but it's a truly remarkable voice and Weaving manages to leave such a powerful, indelible, forceful impression bring such a tragic and dark and compelling character to such vivid life.

I thought of this myself. As silly as it all may be, I think Weaving does a remarkable job in this film. What an actor.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:09 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Linda Fiorentino-The Last Seduction, disqualified due to the film being shown on HBO before going to theaters.

Hello,
The same thing happened to Colm Meany in the Snapper.
The film was played in some Norwegian network which disqaulified him from an oscar nomination.
It is his best performance

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:34 am
Director

If were able to go back to the mid 90's then I would have listed Jodie Foster in Contact. One of my favorite movies of all time, and Foster honestly gives not only the best work of her career, but one of the top female performances of all time as well.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:44 am
Director

The only three I can think of offhand that have not yet been mentioned:

Haley Joel Osment - "A.I.: Artificial Intelligence"
Hugh Jackman - "The Fountain"
Kirsten Dunst - "Melancholia"

All polarizing films, so probably not that much of a surprise.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:33 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Here are five of mine with just some cursory research into my archives. I know there are far more.

1. John Hawkes - The Sessions

Helen Hunt did truly wonderful work as well and deserved the recognition but Hawkes was so transcendent and gave us a character so unlike anybody he's embodies before, it made the whole film. All you have to do is look at Winter's Bone, MMMM and this film to see how fantastic he was, in the sense of how unique he made the character.

2. Matthew McConaughey - Magic Mike or Killer Joe

Perhaps his stint in romcom hell soured the Academy members but he has done a complete 180 and is currently delivering some of he most incredible and consistent acting around. In particular I thought he was brilliant in Killer Joe, but it's not exactly a Academy friendly film I suppose.

3. Noomi Rapace - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Rooney Mara snagged a nod for the remake (and she was every bit as excellent) but Rapace was damn stellar and it's disconcerting that the recognized performance was the American one - nothing new, but still. Not only that, but she was consistently superb across all three films.

4. Michael Parks - Red State

This is certainly a very personal opinion but not only did I find Red State to be one of Kevin Smith`s best films (and his best directed by far) but Parks was absolutely hypnotic in every second of his scenes. I was just enraptured by how he delivered Smith`s dialogue and how he created a character that is so twisted but so charismatic and calming. He sells how he could brainwash all his discples.

5. Ryan Reynolds - Buried

For a dude who is the brunt of so many jokes recently (and in a way justifiably so) his one man show, for me, in Buried is as heart wrenching as they come. To properly convey the dire circumstances with just the close up of a man`s face and the general scenario is a difficult task and for me Reynolds owned it. I know a lot of people who hate this film and while I still can`t really see why, there is no denying how effective he is and how quickly you forget the actor you`re seeing on screen.

And ones that I whole heartily agree with that have been mentioned: Shailene Woodley and Albert Brooks - treason!

Cheers

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:25 pm
Critic

PR0METHEU5 wrote:
Here are five of mine with just some cursory research into my archives. I know there are far more.

Helen Hunt did truly wonderful work as well and deserved the recognition but Hawkes was so transcendent and gave us a character so unlike anybody he's embodies before, it made the whole film. All you have to do is look at Winter's Bone, MMMM and this film to see how fantastic he was, in the sense of how unique he made the character.

Perhaps his stint in romcom hell soured the Academy members but he has done a complete 180 and is currently delivering some of he most incredible and consistent acting around. In particular I thought he was brilliant in Killer Joe, but it's not exactly a Academy friendly film I suppose.

Rooney Mara snagged a nod for the remake (and she was every bit as excellent) but Rapace was damn stellar and it's disconcerting that the recognized performance was the American one - nothing new, but still. Not only that, but she was consistently superb across all three films.

This is certainly a very personal opinion but not only did I find Red State to be one of Kevin Smith`s best films (and his best directed by far) but Parks was absolutely hypnotic in every second of his scenes. I was just enraptured by how he delivered Smith`s dialogue and how he created a character that is so twisted but so charismatic and calming. He sells how he could brainwash all his discples.

For a dude who is the brunt of so many jokes recently (and in a way justifiably so) his one man show, for me, in Buried is as heart wrenching as they come. To properly convey the dire circumstances with just the close up of a man`s face and the general scenario is a difficult task and for me Reynolds owned it. I know a lot of people who hate this film and while I still can`t really see why, there is no denying how effective he is and how quickly you forget the actor you`re seeing on screen.

And ones that I whole heartily agree with that have been mentioned: Shailene Woodley and Albert Brooks - treason!

Cheers

Great call with Rapace. That was instantly iconic

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:26 pm
Director

PR0METHEU5 wrote:

Cheers

Agreed on Hawkes and especially Reynolds. In fact, I think Reynold's turn in Buried is better than James Franco's in the somewhat similar 127 Hours.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Quote:
In fact, I think Reynold's turn in Buried is better than James Franco's in the somewhat similar 127 Hours.

Seconded.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:36 pm
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Agreed on Hawkes and especially Reynolds. In fact, I think Reynold's turn in Buried is better than James Franco's in the somewhat similar 127 Hours.

Having just watched 127 hours for the first time, I also agree with this. I'm still trying to figure out if that's because of the lack of suspense in 127 hours because we all knew the ending beforehand. Which could very well be the case. I didn't really care for it actually, but Buried was pretty exciting. Don't think I'll watch it again though.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Quote:

Quote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Having just watched 127 hours for the first time, I also agree with this. I'm still trying to figure out if that's because of the lack of suspense in 127 hours because we all knew the ending beforehand. Which could very well be the case. I didn't really care for it actually, but Buried was pretty exciting. Don't think I'll watch it again though.

The lack of "suspense" was certainly a factor, and while I love Danny Boyle I thought he completely overdid from a directing standpoint. This should have been as stripped down as possible, not such a flourish of manic shots and quick cuts. Still think it's solid however but Buried is superior in my opinion as well.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:37 pm
Assistant Director

Here's one I bet no one remembers:

Tang Wei-- Lust, Caution: Lost in the "is it real or simulated" mystery surrounding the sex scenes in this film is the fact that this was an awesome performance, especially for an actress making her debut.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:44 pm
Assistant Director

The Academy history is so filled with boneheaded decisions that this list could go on forever with just a list of performances. I mean, Diane Keaton in Something's Gotta Give? Were they high? Or Gladiator over Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? Well to be honest, anything that year would have been better.

That said, here are mine.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Matthew Goode and Emily Mortimer in Match Point: This was a brilliant film filled with exceptional performances from top to bottom (the only reason that I didn't include Scarlett Johannson is because her role isn't as strongly written. All three, especially Meyers, dig deep into their characters. They don't exist just to move the plot along. They exist as real people of intelligence and personality.

Lara Belmont in The War Zone: Nuff said.
(Note: Tim Roth should have gotten a Best Director nod as well)

Gong Li in, well, anything. Let's face it, Gong Li is one hell of an actress. Even when she's in something lame like Chinese Box, Miami Vice or Shanghai, she always impresses. Her best performances are in Farewell, My Concubine (duh) and Memoirs of a Geisha (anyone who can say a line like "Now, we are rivals" or "I shall destroy you!" without laughing deserves a commendation, but she made it convincing.

Ben Foster in The Messenger: Foster was heartbreaking as the wounded soldier on the verge of a breakdown. It was incredibly strong and complex performance. Woody Harrellson got the nomination (which he deserved, by the way), but Foster stuck out in my mind more.

Keira Knightly in Atonement: I haven't seen Pride & Prejudice, but I was blown away by her performance in Atonement. It was a very mature and complicated role (she was playing a real character as seen by another) without losing a beat. On that note, Joe Wright should have gotten a Best Director nod, because that was a story that was impossible to pull off, and he did it.

Rena Owen and Temuera Morrison in Once Were Warriors: I don't really need to explain this, do I?

Evan Rachel Wood in Thirteen: An astonishingly real and compelling performance as a teenage girl. Not in just what she said, but how she said it and her body language. She was real even when she did shocking things.

Chow Yun-Fat, Michelle Yeoh, Ziyi Zhang for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Everyone went gaga over the action scenes, which deserved all the praise that they got, but no one seems to mention the incredible acting work by the three leads. They're in a myth come to life, and it requires a deft touch on their part. All three of them nail it.

John Candy for Planes, Trains and Automobiles and JFK: Not only do these movies showcase his ability to get a laugh, but they show his considerable dramatic range. His "You wanna hurt me?" speech is heartbreaking, and he's as creepy as he is funny as Dean Andrews in "JFK."

Amanda Peet in The Whole Nine Yards: Peet was so funny that she stole the film away from Matthew Perry and Bruce Willis. Lots of bite, plenty of ditziness and a great smile...nuff said.

Donald Sutherland in Ordinary People: I get the Oscar nominations for Mary Tyler Moore, Timothy Hutton and Judd Hirsch. They deserved them. But why was Sutherland left out? He was just as good, if not better. Moore and Hutton got all of the scene stealing, but Sutherland was just as saddening, in his own quiet way.

Carice Van Houten and Paul Verhoeven for Black Book: Van Houten blew me away with this performance. Smart, passionate, susceptible to human flaws yet quick enough to find a way out of problems that develop. After a career in exploitation films like Basic Instinct and Hollow Man, Verhoeven finally found a film to display his true talent as a filmmaker and a storyteller. Apart from some mild confusion when everything is explained (never introduce a character through a story if the audience hasn't seen him/her), the film is flawless.

Uma Thurman in Prime: This is another of my favorite films that didn't get the reception it deserved. This was a charming, hilarious and romantic film with a truly sparkling performance by Uma Thurman. She's smart and mature, but vulnerable.

Bob Hoskins in Mrs. Henderson Presents: Judi Dench had the flashiest performance in this film, but Hoskins was every bit her equal. He was the perfect foil for her not because his character did what was needed but because they fit together as people.

Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro and Diane Venora in Heat: Pacino and DeNiro are in the same category as Gong Li. They're such obvious choices that they're hardly worth mentioning. Diane Venora, on the other hand, is a character actress who never got a big break. She was wonderful as the troubled Justine who hates herself because she is in love with a man who can't give her what she needs. Mann deserved nominations for writing and especially direction. The bank robbery scene is the best I've seen on film.

Oliver Litondo and Naomie Harris in The First Grader: Like Judi Dench and Bob Hoskins, these two clicked in a very special and moving way. The writing is strong enough to give them good handles on their characters, but these two are just plain wonderful.

Mick Jagger in The Man from Elysian Fields: This is probably the oddest choice on the surface, but he deserves it. Luther Fox was an articulate charmer with a sharp wit and intelligence. But it was his scenes with Angelica Huston that showed his true talent as an actor. He played the role with charisma and pathos, and he stole the film from everyone else (and it was top heavy with talent).

Leonardo DiCaprio, Billy Zane, Frances Fisher and Kathy Bates for Titanic: While Zane, Fisher and Bates were wonderful, it was DiCaprio's snub that has to be the biggest "WTF" of all. This was a rich, charismatic and brilliant performance. Winslet was amazing, yes, but it's DiCaprio that everyone remembers. And it wasn't because he was hot (which he was).

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:49 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
Rena Owen and Temuera Morrison in Once Were Warriors: I don't really need to explain this, do I?

I could not agree with you more,
I think that Temuera Morrison's performace is one of the strongest ever I have ever seen. You could equate this to Romber Stomper, and yet this lauched Russel Crowe's career but yet Temuera is a relative unknown.

moviemkr7 wrote:
Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro and Diane Venora in Heat: Pacino and DeNiro are in the same category as Gong Li. They're such obvious choices that they're hardly worth mentioning. Diane Venora, on the other hand, is a character actress who never got a big break. She was wonderful as the troubled Justine who hates herself because she is in love with a man who can't give her what she needs. Mann deserved nominations for writing and especially direction. The bank robbery scene is the best I've seen on film.

I know I will get some flack for this , but I never really warmed to Heat. It was nice to see DeNiro and Pacino together, but that is it.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:21 am
Assistant Director

p604 wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

I think that Temuera Morrison's performace is one of the strongest ever I have ever seen. You could equate this to Romber Stomper, and yet this lauched Russel Crowe's career but yet Temuera is a relative unknown.

He got a chance when he had a supporting role in Speed 2: Cruise Control, but everyone hated that for some reason. He was also Abin Sur in Green Lantern. But that's it except for a few indie films (like the utterly worthless Tracker)

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I could never really get into Heat either, despite the two good lead performances, the story wasn't that great and there was no way the film needed to be almost three freaking hours long, there was a ton of stuff that could've been cut that added almost nothing to the film(I.E. Val Kilmer and Ashley Judd's characters) like James I found myself constantly checking my watch and just waiting for it to end.

I found Di Caprio to be incredibly wooden in Titanic, he was especially bad when he was drowning, I couldn't help but laugh out loud when he died.

I enjoyed Speed 2, don't really remember Morrison's performance though. Another star of that film, Jason Patric, should've been nominated for his performance in Narc.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:45 pm
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
p604 wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

He got a chance when he had a supporting role in Speed 2: Cruise Control, but everyone hated that for some reason. He was also Abin Sur in Green Lantern. But that's it except for a few indie films (like the utterly worthless Tracker)

Um, Jango Fett, anyone? :? (Oddly enough, Owen also played the female Kaminoan in that movie.)

Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:32 pm
Assistant Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
I could not agree with you more about Once Were Warriors

He got a chance when he had a supporting role in Speed 2: Cruise Control, but everyone hated that for some reason. He was also Abin Sur in Green Lantern. But that's it except for a few indie films (like the utterly worthless Tracker)[/quote]
Um, Jango Fett, anyone? :? (Oddly enough, Owen also played the female Kaminoan in that movie.)[/quote]

Good point. But he should be headlining his own films, not struggling with bit parts.

Sorry about paraphrasing you H.I., but I couldn't inbed more than 3 quotes. I think I still kept the spirit of your text tho.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Also:

Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey in Magic Mike: Someone mentioned this movie above and it reminded me not to forget the two best performances in the movie that was the number one on my Top Ten list last year. Channing Tatum has evolved beyond his initial pretty boy image into a legitimate actor to be reckoned with.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:27 pm
Profile WWW