Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:19 am

The World's End 
Producer

Post The World's End
I'm surprised it hasn't yet received more coverage around here. Well, for the fact that it was the last film I viewed (been watching Dexter), I'm going to re-post my review here -

The World's End (2013)

It's hard to analyse these guys' films on the basis of one-watch, because they are a lot more complex than it appears at face-value. I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz more on subsequent viewings than I did first time around, and The World's End doesn't seem any different.

The plot revolves around Gary King. King (Pegg) was the town's stud-muffin answer to a local celeb ... 23 years ago. He drank the beer, pulled the birds, and had the laughs. And it's his mission to assemble his childhood friends and recreate a pub run they failed way back when. Gary has a serious problem, his life hasn't moved on one day since 1990. He is now a sad, appalingly dressed, middle-aged loser, who still drives a Ford Granada and listens to his 80 anthems on the very same tape cassettes that were copied for him 2 decades earlier. Gary is recognisable in a number of people you will know. Trying to relive the past - it's painful to watch, but it's meant to be. For all his stupid flaws, he gives the film a (desperately) human edge. His friends have all moved on and grown up successfully, and look upon him in bemusement.

The film is clever. The early scenes have a grim, awkward realism about them (especially in the early pubs on the run), where you will recognise the desperation of the characters. Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg seem to not only get their beloved sci-fi genre; but also show a profound understanding of how people interact with each other. The best scenes in the film aren't the crazy-ass fight sequences (of which there are many), but the quite bitter arguments and observations about the past the characters have with one-another. In particular between Pegg and Frost, whose wounded friendship is more poignant and realistic than I could ever have expected from this film. There really is some excellent and cutting observations about how some people just simply fail to grow up.

And the visuals - well it's Edgar Wright. He has talent for this shit. Without giving too much away, there is a scene in the film that near blew me away. One of the pubs en-route (the Mermaid) is actually a club holding some kind of 80s school reunion to the tune of a famous Kylie Minogue record. It looked like a piece of silver-wrapped retro, but with the feel of a computer game.

There's also a quite hilarious use of cameos with the various background characters from the previous cornetto films that you should look out for.

This is a good film. My only wish was that some of the arguments between Pegg and Frost in particular, were dragged out further, because they illuminate the nature of old places and friendships better than 99% of such dramas.

Very good, I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:37 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: The World's End
NotHughGrant wrote:
I'm surprised it hasn't yet received more coverage around here.

There should be more talk around here when the film opens in the States tomorrow. I'll definitely be seeing it sometime over the weekend.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:08 pm
Profile WWW