Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 pm

3D is dying. Thank God. 
Director

Post 3D is dying. Thank God.
I know this is from Rolling Stone, but there were some interesting statistics in this article about how 3D is once again dying off. Personally, I am thankful; may the visual diarrhea we call 3D be relegated to the scrap heap for another 30 years.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/are-3d-movies-over-20130821

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:55 pm
Auteur

Post Re: 3D is dying. Thank God.
There were a handful of 3-D fims I enjoyed(the RE films, Dredd, Drive Angry, My Bloody Valentine) but the number of terrible 3-D transfers far outweigh the good ones, so I can't really say i'll miss it if it goes away. I wonder how popular the Avatar sequels will be without 3-D, i'm guessing not very.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:03 pm
Producer

Maybe the loss of its most famous gimmick (and yes, having "finally, 3D that isn't shitty!" on your poster is a gimmick) will force the Avatar sequels to step up their game in other areas.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:09 pm
Director

It definitely needs to go, and soon. When a movie is shot in 3D like Avatar, that's one thing, but enough with the conversions. I got to thinking recently.... when your mind looks back on images you remember from a 3D movie, does your brain "imagine" them in 3D or just 2D like everything else? You're paying extra for something that could be cool in the moment (but more often than not isn't) but has little staying power.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:50 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
It definitely needs to go, and soon. When a movie is shot in 3D like Avatar, that's one thing, but enough with the conversions. I got to thinking recently.... when your mind looks back on images you remember from a 3D movie, does your brain "imagine" them in 3D or just 2D like everything else? You're paying extra for something that could be cool in the moment (but more often than not isn't) but has little staying power.

True, I can't really remember any particular 3-D images from RE: Afterlife and Retirbution in detail. I think 3-D was part of the reason why Dredd failed, the 3-D in the film was decent but wholly unnecessary and ultimately I felt the film would've been just as good without it. Many people like myself were pissed off that there were hardly any 2-D showings for that film and that if we wanted to see it in theaters we were pretty much forced to pay a surcharge to see it in a format that we were skeptical about(critics like Dustin Putman were also pissed at the studio for not holding press screenings in certain areas, so he refused to see the film on opening day and review it)

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:43 pm
Second Unit Director

Praise the heavens.

Regarding the memorable image question I can only think of a few. Some shots in Avatar thanks to the wow factor, Corolina because it used to flatten the real world scenes. And the last Harry Potter movie because of how crappy it made the whole experience.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

I'm betting that most of us wouldn't have minded 3D so much if it wasn't for the fucking surcharge added to ticket prices. I probably could have lived with it if that were the case.

In any event, I am glad that the cash grab is over, at least for now.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 pm
Director

I think the main question that needs to be asked of any 3D film is this: Would the film have been just as good in 2D? Of the 3D films I've seen, none have been enhanced by the 3D. The best 3D film I've seen was Hugo, and it would have been fine in 2D. If Scorsese can't make 3D work, nobody can.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:49 pm
Producer

KWRoss wrote:

It's all 3D. Your eyes make it 3D. The brain is very good at picking up parallax, relative lighting, differences in focus, and other cues that inform it plenty well that certain objects are farther away than others. All the glasses do is create a self-consciously "3D" pop-up book effect.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:43 am
Director

Four years ago, maybe 3D seemed like the next technical leap for filmmaking, but it was really just an attempt at forcing cultural conformity. The illusion of conformity seems to have been the theme of pop culture and movies for the past 5 years, but the real future of cinema is just more and more branching off into infinitely more niche audiences. That scares studio execs because they think it means less money, but that's the way it's gonna turn out. Agreeing and disagreeing about movies is already starting to disappear as an issue. There are so many movies to choose from now that it's quickly becoming impossible for any one of them to be seen and liked by everybody. Iron man 3 is the biggest grosser of the year, but I don't know a single person who's seen it. Can't remember when that's ever happened before. James Cameron apparently hasn't heard the story of the boy who cried wolf. When you discover that the boy is pulling your leg, he blows his chance of ever actually being saved. It could be that great things could have been done with 3D, but I have no interest in finding out. Avatar was a lie, so I naturally assume all subsequent promotions of 3D will be lies.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:55 am
Second Unit Director

David Mitchell could not have said it better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRQxZ70XZ5E
I find 3d to be pointless

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:24 am
Producer

Three times they've attempted to foist 3d on us in my lifetime.

Just fuck off and die already!

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:12 am
Second Unit Director

I wonder how all those people who bought 3D tv's feel right now.
I am off 2 minds whether to feel sorry for them or not

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:28 am
Producer

3D TVs are like any new tech. They'll find their unique purpose. This, I'm pretty sure, is not it.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:04 am
Director

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a ... d.html?rss

Apparently James Cameron is once again saying that all future movies will inevitably be in 3D because that's what people want to see.

My opinion of immersive filmmaking in general: it's entirely up to the director. The degree to which you're immersed in the movie has to do with the writing, acting, cinematography, but mostly the director is the one in charge of pulling you into a movie. Technical gimmicks make no difference. To make movies more immersive all you really need is good directors. That's it.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:35 pm
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a509180/james-cameron-all-future-entertainment-will-inevitably-be-3d.html?rss

Apparently James Cameron is once again saying that all future movies will inevitably be in 3D because that's what people want to see.

My opinion of immersive filmmaking in general: it's entirely up to the director. The degree to which you're immersed in the movie has to do with the writing, acting, cinematography, but mostly the director is the one in charge of pulling you into a movie. Technical gimmicks make no difference. To make movies more immersive all you really need is good directors. That's it.

Agreed. Looking the original link you can actually see and listen what Cameron said in full. I personally enjoy pretty much a "good 3D movie" in the Cinema and even to re - watch it on TV (I have owned a 3d TV for 2 years) , as you can read in another thread in this forum from me

Cheers

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:07 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I always opt for the 2-D versions at the theater. I've only seen 3 movies in the new 3-D format (since Avatar) and those were because I had free passes. But that said, I don't care one way or the other as long as they continue to release movies at my multiplex in both 2-D and 3-D. If it gets to the point where a release is in 3-D only, then that movie just doesn't get my business.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 am
Director

If it didn't last in the '50s, it sure the hell wasn't going to last now... no matter how many improvements were made. :roll:

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:43 am
Assistant Director

I found this article in line with MGamesCook comment which I also agreed

From the article you can read Greg Foster, a senior executive vice president for IMAX Corporation :
Quote:
Speaking by telephone recently, Mr. Foster said the future of movies in 3-D depends on the willingness of directors like Nimrod Antal, who made the Metallica film, to treat the medium and its potential with respect. “It all depends on the filmmakers being fully invested, and owning it,” Mr. Foster said.

and in the same article

Quote:
Hollywood remains committed to at least five dozen 3-D movies through 2016, according to a recent count by Exhibitor Relations, a box-office consultant.

and you know who comes in 2016 to provide another big push to 3D 8-)

Cheers

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

unwindfilms wrote:
and you know who comes in 2016 to provide another big push to 3D 8-)

Cheers

Three sequels? Fuck you, Cameron. Just, fuck you.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:21 am