Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:34 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Adult language in movies for younger viewers 
Author Message
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 277
Post Adult language in movies for younger viewers
A while ago I recall an attempt to incorporate some sort of option on DVD’s to block foul language in movies, but the chief resistance was from the movie industry and revolved around censorship of creative expression. Now I’ve got a 6 year old and an 8 year old and I don’t need to hear foul language from them at home and don’t want reports of it at school. I’m not oblivious either and understand that kids will hear bad words and it is my job to let them know that they shouldn’t speak that way. That said, why is there a need for a loud “penis breath” in ET, The Extra Terrestrial or a slew of vulgarity in other “kids” movies. My kids are getting old enough that they’ve outgrown children’s movies and are running out of movies that can capture their interests without exposure to adult language. Last night we watched Flight of the Navigator and heard “shit” and “god damn”. Thanks Disney. Could I run around your theme parks yelling this?

Is there any more effort on the DVD options front?
Is anyone else a bit bothered by this or am I just too prudish and shouldn’t care if my kids hear these words?
What do you other parents here do?
Are there any lists of movies that are suitable for viewers who've become bored with little kid's stuff?

_________________
______________________________
Specializing in rodent behavior modification.
-Watch me pull a habit out of rat.


Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:46 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 373
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
Watch the movies with them and explain that language is not to be tolerated in public.


Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:23 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1531
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
here you go:

https://www.clearplay.com/


Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:49 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1618
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
Awf Hand wrote:
Is anyone else a bit bothered by this or am I just too prudish and shouldn’t care if my kids hear these words?


Not necessarily. Although I point out that I learned my first profanity not from movies. But form my father.

Speaking of my father, here's a story I may have told here before. I saw my first r-rated movie when I was 10. At the time I had an interest in the VIetnam War. My dad had seen Platoon and he told me I could watch it with him. Before it began he cautioned that the violence would be very graphic and that the characters would be using words he didn't want to hear me using. "It's okay for soldiers in combat to talk that way". So I watched it with him and was engrossed in the story. Afterwards I didn't turn into a trash mouth.

Today I admit I swear a lot more than I probably should. I don't see words of that type though in the same fashion as I do certain other ones (racial slurs for instance).

I agree with

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Watch the movies with them and explain that language is not to be tolerated in public.


It's what my dad did.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:46 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4001
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
I swear a lot to myself but rarely towards others unless they REALLY piss me off, I got from my dad as well, he swears almost nonstop every day.


Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:00 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Watch the movies with them and explain that language is not to be tolerated in public.

This sounds sensible to me. Realistically, unless people keep their kids inside and under observation at all times, this kind of language going to seep into their vocabulary at some point. It's a big world out there and it's full of words. It might be more constructive to look at it as a teaching opportunity, to let kids know why some kinds of language are acceptable and some are not, how different kinds of language are appropriate at certain times but not others, why people might use such words, etc. Shielding kids from harsh language can only work for so long before a new strategy is in order.

I can remember knowing quite a few salty words as a little kid. I didn't use them because I knew it meant trouble for me later on. Most of them did not come from movies.

-

Mandatory caveat: not being a parent myself, I can only go by my own experiences from when I was a kid and from being around the children of friends and relatives. So take what I say with a shaker of salt.

And I will also out myself as the occasional purveyor of colorful language. Scandalous, I know.

One of my friends recently coined the term "profanebow" to describe a particularly colorful stream of words in quick succession.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:57 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 665
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
I don't particularly like profanity in any movie, much less children's movies. I'm acutely aware that they hear it at school and at other kid's houses, so I don't avoid programming just to prevent them from hearing it. If I hear a word that I suspect they don't know yet, I remark that it was a bad word and if they ask why I'll tell them why I think it's bad. My wife and I don't use profanity and my kids are very aware that they are not to use it. For the most part I don't get too worked up about it. I think my boy has pretty much learned almost all there is to know playing the Uncharted games, but if he repeats any of it at all, he's been careful not to around me.


Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:47 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
One big problem people have is confusing means with ends. This is a great example. People think swearing is a means, as in

"If my children start using bad language, soon they'll be...."

But I've never seen anyone who was really able to explain to me what that end is. Because swearing is the end.

If your children start using bad language, soon they'll be using bad language.

Almost every person does it, and it causes no harm whatsoever. So yeah, tell your kids that they might be judged for using it by people less enlightened than James Kunz, but otherwise, go worry about global warming or terrorism or something

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1186
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
I honestly can't remember where I picked up on swear words. A combination of school, friends, movies, video games, and occasionally my dad.

Obviously, the MPAA needs to get a fucking clue and realize that swear words are in-fucking-evitable for just about anyone who isn't a religious freak. 8-)

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:16 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 235
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
[quote="Awf Hand"] That said, why is there a need for a loud “penis breath” in ET, The Extra Terrestrial [quote]

Hello Awf Hand.
Nice post and I can see merit in your arguement, How and ever.

What is wrong with the word "Penis".
Would you have prefered if he had used the phrase "dick head" instead ?


At what point should children be introduced to adult language in films?
Not until 18. I think that this would be pointless
Not until 16. Again I rthink that most 16 year olds know every swear word out there,
Not until 14. Again kids at this age have heard most words out there, but they may not understand them fully.
Not until 12. Where I come from most kids at this age go to secondary school. At this point if they have not heard curses their friends will advised them about every swear word out there within the first week.
Below 10. fair enough. I can see and agree with any argument that children should hear major sware words, anything r=that requires a *% when printed. How and ever, phrases like God Damn , shit when used as a surprose do not bother me at all.

I would also ask the question?
When it comes to film
At what age should children be shown the concept that people have sex.
Now I am not talking about the actual act but the idea that people are going to have sex. i.e. Romantic situatioon fades to next morning.


Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:13 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1804
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
That's a good question...what's wrong with the word penis? That is what it is called.

Now, if they'd called it a cock, dick, dingus, schlong, fuckstick, boner, dragon, lizard, one-eyed monster, yogurt slinger, pecker, prick or purple-headed pumper you'd have a reasonable complaint.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:42 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1344
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
That's a good question...what's wrong with the word penis? That is what it is called.

Now, if they'd called it a cock, dick, dingus, schlong, fuckstick, boner, dragon, lizard, one-eyed monster, yogurt slinger, pecker, prick or purple-headed pumper you'd have a reasonable complaint.

Probably because it's arguably one of the most (if not THE most) ridiculous-sounding words in the English language? I mean, why else have people made up so many euphemistic nicknames for it over the years (same goes for its female counterpart)? :P

Personally, I first heard the F-bomb from an older kid on my school bus when I was in kindergarten. I didn't start using it constantly (though I did get in trouble for 'trying out' this new word on my kid sister) - at least until I reached adolescence, when it started to be a 'cool' thing to do - but it didn't keep my parents from letting me see movies with swearing in it for the rest of my pre-adolescence. I still feel the Canadian ratings system is a more accurate system than what the American ratings system has become.


Last edited by H.I. McDonough on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:33 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
That's a good question...what's wrong with the word penis? That is what it is called.

Now, if they'd called it a cock, dick, dingus, schlong, fuckstick, boner, dragon, lizard, one-eyed monster, yogurt slinger, pecker, prick or purple-headed pumper you'd have a reasonable complaint.

Probably because it's arguably one of the most (if not THE most) ridiculous-sounding words in the English language. I mean, why else have people made up so many euphemistic nicknames for it over the years (same goes for its female counterpart)? :P

Fixed.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:38 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6492
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
That's a good question...what's wrong with the word penis? That is what it is called.

Now, if they'd called it a cock, dick, dingus, schlong, fuckstick, boner, dragon, lizard, one-eyed monster, yogurt slinger, pecker, prick or purple-headed pumper you'd have a reasonable complaint.

Probably because it's arguably one of the most (if not THE most) ridiculous-sounding words in the English language? I mean, why else have people made up so many euphemistic nicknames for it over the years (same goes for its female counterpart)? :P

.


There's nothing inherently ridiculous sounding about the word, we just think there is due to a general prudishness in our culture. Which Awf Hand is clearly reinforcing in our nation's children

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:32 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1531
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
It’s always amusing to hear what a bunch of twentysomething childless dudes(including the 'slampiece' frat guy, lol) think about raising children. kinda like hearing what a 12 year old thinks about having a girlfriend(or wife)

I know I'm being captain obvious here, but you will never know what it’s like being a parent until you are actually one.
and this is from a childless 30something guy(so feel free to call me full of shit)
quite a few people I'm close to have kids, kids I've seen almost every week since birth, and man is being a parent intense. It’s a 24/7 job with no handbook, with so many dilemmas arising almost every day(some of you should probably stick to having a dog)
It changes you irrevocably, far more than any other stepping stone in life(college, career, marriage)
So I think it’s sort of ridiculous to call Awf Hand a 'prude,' you don’t know anything about who is his, or what his life is like. The whole being a parent thing is pretty complex. you and your kid don't live in a bubble, but actually have to interact with other people(including teachers - do you think you'd be cool with being called into a meeting because your kid keeps calling everyone at school 'penis breath?' or dropping the f bomb? or shoves the other kids a bit too much? yeah sure, you hipsters would laugh it off, whatever. you don't know what the hell you'd do and you know it. I see it all the time. people thinking they'd parent a certain way when they were young(and clueless) and seeing how much more complicated it was in reality. there's nothing wrong with wanting to protect the innocence of your kid just a little longer. parents aren't clueless, they know they can't protect them from everything. and they know their kid may act a certain way when they aren't around, they just don't want to see it. who knows, by attempting to shield his kids, Awf Hand may be preventing them from being some misogynistic frat boy in 10 years who thinks all women are slampieces:)

And 6-8 year olds are basically infants, I’m the godfather to 2 of them, I see how innocent they are. it makes me sad to hear any kids of that age curse(even pretty mild profanity), even if they are good kids. It’s just not a pleasant sound. I’ve written some pretty hard R scripts, I don’t think of myself as a ‘prude’ in any way. I don’t expect guys just out of college or graduate school to understand, I used to be just like you, I never could have imagined myself feeling so protective towards any children – I used to think they were pretty annoying in general actually. Shocker, a 35 year old who thinks differently about life than he did at 25. Nah, that could never happen to you guys:)


Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:48 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 502
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
Friend of mine was watching an old John Wayne movie with his 12 year old boy when one of the characters in the movie called the black camp cook a "nigger." (Hopefully none are offended I didn't choose to use the bland "N-word" there.) My friend tensed up and glanced at his son, who showed little reaction, so my friend thought it had passed unnoticed. A minute or 2 later his boy asks, "Dad? Why did they use that word just then?" "Uh...what word?" "Nigger." Friend pauses for a second. "Well...have you ever heard that word before?" His son, "Yeah. The black kids call each other that on the playground all the time." Friend's first thought, "Well...I guess we can watch 'Blazing Saddles' now."

As far as the "prudishness" of the "penis breath" reference, there is nothing wrong with using the word "penis" to describe...you know...a penis. But in the context of the usage in E.T. it is being used as a slur and not in its proper context and is probably not appropriate for younger kids (without guidance). Speaking here as a parent of 4 very young kids who gets to step through this minefield with Awf Hand. With that said, "penis breath" probably wouldn't bother me as much as "the 7 words you can't say on TV" or their equivalents.


Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:38 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm
Posts: 265
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
Regarding whether or not penis breath is offensive... Well yes, it is. On it's own "penis" isn't dirty no. I think penis is find given that it is a proper medical term. But penis breath sounds like a euphamism for the homophobic slur "cock sucker" which I do find offensive.

_________________
My Blog: Queering the Closet


Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 556
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
Awf Hand wrote:
A while ago I recall an attempt to incorporate some sort of option on DVD’s to block foul language in movies, but the chief resistance was from the movie industry and revolved around censorship of creative expression. Now I’ve got a 6 year old and an 8 year old and I don’t need to hear foul language from them at home and don’t want reports of it at school. I’m not oblivious either and understand that kids will hear bad words and it is my job to let them know that they shouldn’t speak that way. That said, why is there a need for a loud “penis breath” in ET, The Extra Terrestrial or a slew of vulgarity in other “kids” movies. My kids are getting old enough that they’ve outgrown children’s movies and are running out of movies that can capture their interests without exposure to adult language. Last night we watched Flight of the Navigator and heard “shit” and “god damn”. Thanks Disney. Could I run around your theme parks yelling this?

Is there any more effort on the DVD options front?
Is anyone else a bit bothered by this or am I just too prudish and shouldn’t care if my kids hear these words?
What do you other parents here do?
Are there any lists of movies that are suitable for viewers who've become bored with little kid's stuff?

So I guess films like Goodfellas, Casino, Nil by Mouth, and Summer of Sam are out of the question for your kids at least for now? ;)

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:32 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
calvero wrote:
It’s always amusing to hear what a bunch of twentysomething childless dudes(including the 'slampiece' frat guy, lol) think about raising children. kinda like hearing what a 12 year old thinks about having a girlfriend(or wife)

I know I'm being captain obvious here, but you will never know what it’s like being a parent until you are actually one.
and this is from a childless 30something guy(so feel free to call me full of shit)
quite a few people I'm close to have kids, kids I've seen almost every week since birth, and man is being a parent intense. It’s a 24/7 job with no handbook, with so many dilemmas arising almost every day(some of you should probably stick to having a dog)
It changes you irrevocably, far more than any other stepping stone in life(college, career, marriage)
So I think it’s sort of ridiculous to call Awf Hand a 'prude,' you don’t know anything about who is his, or what his life is like. The whole being a parent thing is pretty complex. you and your kid don't live in a bubble, but actually have to interact with other people(including teachers - do you think you'd be cool with being called into a meeting because your kid keeps calling everyone at school 'penis breath?' or dropping the f bomb? or shoves the other kids a bit too much? yeah sure, you hipsters would laugh it off, whatever. you don't know what the hell you'd do and you know it. I see it all the time. people thinking they'd parent a certain way when they were young(and clueless) and seeing how much more complicated it was in reality. there's nothing wrong with wanting to protect the innocence of your kid just a little longer. parents aren't clueless, they know they can't protect them from everything. and they know their kid may act a certain way when they aren't around, they just don't want to see it. who knows, by attempting to shield his kids, Awf Hand may be preventing them from being some misogynistic frat boy in 10 years who thinks all women are slampieces:)

And 6-8 year olds are basically infants, I’m the godfather to 2 of them, I see how innocent they are. it makes me sad to hear any kids of that age curse(even pretty mild profanity), even if they are good kids. It’s just not a pleasant sound. I’ve written some pretty hard R scripts, I don’t think of myself as a ‘prude’ in any way. I don’t expect guys just out of college or graduate school to understand, I used to be just like you, I never could have imagined myself feeling so protective towards any children – I used to think they were pretty annoying in general actually. Shocker, a 35 year old who thinks differently about life than he did at 25. Nah, that could never happen to you guys:)

And yet he asked a forum full of childless 20-somethings a question.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:48 am
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm
Posts: 556
Post Re: Adult language in movies for younger viewers
Ken wrote:
And yet he asked a forum full of childless 20-somethings a question.

<*Slow clap*>

_________________
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."


Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:19 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr