Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
The thread where we air out unpopular opinions 
Critic

Post Re: The thread where we air out unpopular opinions
Syd Henderson wrote:
Legend and Body of Lies are much worse than any of the Ridley Scott films mentioned.

Ugh Legend! You're so right

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:13 pm
Director

I'll admit, having grown up in that period, that I still have a soft spot for "Legend" (the Director's Cut with the Jerry Goldsmith score is definitely better), but it is indeed the weakest of the '80s kiddie fantasies. "The Dark Crystal," "The NeverEnding Story," "Ladyhawke," "Labyrinth," "Willow," and even "Krull" are all better.

My personal vote for weakest Ridley Scott film would go to either "Someone to Watch Over Me" or "G.I. Jane." And though I haven't seen it, I would think "Robin Hood" would be in the running as well.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:30 pm
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
I'll admit, having grown up in that period, that I still have a soft spot for "Legend" (the Director's Cut with the Jerry Goldsmith score is definitely better), but it is indeed the weakest of the '80s kiddie fantasies. "The Dark Crystal," "The NeverEnding Story," "Ladyhawke," "Labyrinth," "Willow," and even "Krull" are all better.

My personal vote for weakest Ridley Scott film would go to either "Someone to Watch Over Me" or "G.I. Jane." And though I haven't seen it, I would think "Robin Hood" would be in the running as well.

I enjoyed both of those films, Black Hawk Down is his best film for me(with Hannibal a close second).

Other weak Scott films for me are Black Rain, White Squall, Robin Hood(almost as bad as Gladiator), 1492: A Conquest Of Paradise, and Kingdom Of Heaven.

Prometheus was a big letdown for me and i'd go so far as to say it's the weakest of all the Alien films(including both AVP movies). Looking forward to The Counselor though.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:44 pm
Director

I didn't like "1492" either. I'm rather fond of "Kingdom of Heaven" because of the little bits of history that did make it in,* although the background of the lead character is bull.

*For example, one of the central themes of the late history of the Crusader State of Jerusalem are the efforts to keep that idiot Guy de Lusignan off the throne, because the capable people knew he was an idiot. And yes, he really did lead his army into a wasteland without an assured supply of water, and the result was what you saw in the movie.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:28 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21