Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:46 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Least worthy Best Picture Nods: 1990-Present 
Post Re: Least worthy Best Picture Nods: 1990-Present
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I agree with some of your criticisms on Munich, that ending was just completely unnecessary and gratitious and Craig was not very good in the film. But i'd STILL gladly watch that film over that worthless fucking piece of dogshit Irreversible! :evil: and no, me liking Munich over that iflm does NOT make me a hypocrite, it seems you have a bit of a problem with people disagreeing with your opinions.

'Munich' is obviously a better piece of technical filmmaking than 'Irreversible', as almost all Spielberg-directed films are. However, when a Spielberg film requires shock value to maintain interest as opposed to, say, plot twists or genuine dramatic tension, I believe it ranks as far more disappointing than that 2002 film.

I have not said that liking 'Munich' over 'Irreversible' makes you a hypocrite (actually I never called anyone a hypocrite regardless of the result), it makes me think a little; the critics who flock to dark thrillers like 'The Dark Knight' and 'No Country for Old Men' and predict Oscar nods - where were they when 'Se7en' was unspooling nation-wide? I assume most of them were working back in 1995. What made Berardinelli give the latter film three stars, and the other two unconditional recommendations? Do respected directors (which, to provide some context, Fincher was NOT when 'Se7en' was first released) make edgy thematics more palatable to film critics? If someone other than Spielberg directed 'Munich' or created a film of similar visual and thematic qualities, would they be as relentlessly praised without as much severe scrutiny?
I'm really not sure, I also have to ask the same quesiton about Inception, if it was directed by someone other thne Nolan, would people be as willing to overlook it's flaws?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:28 pm
Vexer wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I agree with some of your criticisms on Munich, that ending was just completely unnecessary and gratitious and Craig was not very good in the film. But i'd STILL gladly watch that film over that worthless fucking piece of dogshit Irreversible! :evil: and no, me liking Munich over that iflm does NOT make me a hypocrite, it seems you have a bit of a problem with people disagreeing with your opinions.

'Munich' is obviously a better piece of technical filmmaking than 'Irreversible', as almost all Spielberg-directed films are. However, when a Spielberg film requires shock value to maintain interest as opposed to, say, plot twists or genuine dramatic tension, I believe it ranks as far more disappointing than that 2002 film.

I have not said that liking 'Munich' over 'Irreversible' makes you a hypocrite (actually I never called anyone a hypocrite regardless of the result), it makes me think a little; the critics who flock to dark thrillers like 'The Dark Knight' and 'No Country for Old Men' and predict Oscar nods - where were they when 'Se7en' was unspooling nation-wide? I assume most of them were working back in 1995. What made Berardinelli give the latter film three stars, and the other two unconditional recommendations? Do respected directors (which, to provide some context, Fincher was NOT when 'Se7en' was first released) make edgy thematics more palatable to film critics? If someone other than Spielberg directed 'Munich' or created a film of similar visual and thematic qualities, would they be as relentlessly praised without as much severe scrutiny?
I'm really not sure, I also have to ask the same quesiton about Inception, if it was directed by someone other thne Nolan, would people be as willing to overlook it's flaws?

Yeah, I think the Wachowksis made something like it, called 'The Matrix'. I don't recall that being nodded for Best Picture. I guess 'Bound' wasn't a prestige film of notice to the academy; it was just a really good fucking film. I'm glad they made the sensible call and nodded 'The Green Mile' instead :roll:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 pm
Producer

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
This is a good thread. Can't believe I missed it.

1990: Dances With Wolves. And to think it won. I still shake my head at the thought of this beating Goodfellas.

1991: The Prince of Tides For obvious reasons.

1992: A Few Good Men. You really need to watch that movie a couple times to fully grasp how fucking awful it is.

1993: Overall, this wasn't a bad year for BP nominees. The Fugitive may be the least of the lot substance-wise, but it was really, really tightly constructed and excellent entertainment, the kind Hollywood doesn't make enough of. So I wouldn't immediately axe any of these.

1994: Forrest Gump. This is hands down the worst BP winner in the post-New Hollywood era.

1995: Just pick any of them. 1995 is one of the worst years for Best Picture.

1996: The English Patient. It was just Oscar bait, nothing else.

1997: The Full Monty. A little too light for my tastes, even though it's not a terrible film.

1998: Life Is Beautiful. There's something about making a game out of living in a concentration camp that kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

1999: The Sixth Sense. Again, for obvious reasons.

2000: Erin Brokovich. Julia Roberts acts like a bitch, wins Oscar. Gimme a break.

2001: A Beautiful Mind. Not bad, just generic. Which made it perfect for Best Picture.

2002: The Hours. Now a lot of people might say Chicago, but that film never tries to be anything other than good entertaining fun. And that's why I liked it. The Hours, on the other hand was one of those "Oooh, look how artistic I am" films. I found it to be pretentious; give me Chicago any day.

2003: Seabiscuit. A horse movie. Nothing special.

2004: Ray. As much as I like Ray Charles's music, this film doesn't shed any new light on him as a performer. It's just meh. Jamie Foxx was good, though.

2005: The next three years are among the best for BP nominees ever. Crash is the least of 2005's crop, but it isn't as bad as so many have made it out to be. Munich still should have won though.

2006: The least of these films is Little Miss Sunshine, but I liked it. So I wouldn't get rid of it. 2006 is fine the way it is.

2007: Michael Clayton is the least of the films, but it's not a bad film. Again, no major quarrells with 2007's lineup.

2008: Slumdog Millionaire. Let's just say that I didn't like this movie; I've gone into greater detail before and will again in time. But it wasn't an enjoyable movie for me when I'd figured the whole thing out 15 minutes in.

2009: The Blind Side. Sandra Bullock adopts black guy as a pet, wins Best Actress.

2010: Not a bad crop of pictures. I wasn't as engaged by True Grit as others, but I can think of worse films.

I agree with most of the above and more importantly I was entertained by your post, but I disagree with your opinions of 'Slumdog' and 'Munich'.

Slumdog was unashamably hokey for sure. But it is well made. A kind of quiz show 'Rocky'.

And 'Munich' was just dull. Which is amazing considering the story.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:43 am
Director

Two more years have passed time for an update.

2011: Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close. Most people thought I would say The Help. But it at least has some good acting. There's nothing to recommend this obvious piece of Oscar Bait.

Can't really argue with any of the choices for 2012.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 pm
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:

2011: Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close. Most people thought I would say The Help. But it at least has some good acting. There's nothing to recommend this obvious piece of Oscar Bait.

Agreed mainly. ELAIC was a terrible film and its inclusion to the Best Picture roster made me very angry. But The Help was the type of simplistic, crowd-pleasing race relations movie I hate with a burning passion

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:32 pm
Director

Two years later...

2011: If there's a movie that didn't deserve its nod, it was The Help. It's sort of an updated Driving Miss Daisy.

2012: I found this slate of pictures underwhelming. If I had to axe one or two, they would be Les Mis and Silver Linings Playbook. But of all of them, the only one I really, really, really liked was Argo (should note that I haven't seen Amour).

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:28 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
2012: I found this slate of pictures underwhelming. If I had to axe one or two, they would be Les Mis and Silver Linings Playbook. But of all of them, the only one I really, really, really liked was Argo (should note that I haven't seen Amour).

Hmmm... So do you agree with the rather widely stated notion that 2012 was a great year for movies? Seemed to me like these films were all generally well-regarded ones. Just curious. The least worthy one IMO was Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Oh and since I haven't put my $.02 in on the other years yet, I will say that the least worthy Best Picture nominee in the entire two decades-plus timespan in the topic title is The Sixth Sense. It's hard for me to believe that there's a less worthy one ever, but if there is it would be before my time as a movie buff.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:43 pm
Auteur

Gwaihir wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Hmmm... So do you agree with the rather widely stated notion that 2012 was a great year for movies? Seemed to me like these films were all generally well-regarded ones. Just curious. The least worthy one IMO was Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Oh and since I haven't put my $.02 in on the other years yet, I will say that the least worthy Best Picture nominee in the entire two decades-plus timespan in the topic title is The Sixth Sense. It's hard for me to believe that there's a less worthy one ever, but if there is it would be before my time as a movie buff.

Can't argue there, Sixth Sense was an overrated piece of garbage with a painfully predictable and cliched "twist" which wasn't even that original.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:51 pm
Director

Gwaihir wrote:

I don't think it was a terrible year, but the slate of BP nominees left a little something to be desired, at least for me. I generally liked the acting nominees, so it wasn't all bad.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:11 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Agreed mainly. ELAIC was a terrible film and its inclusion to the Best Picture roster made me very angry. But The Help was the type of simplistic, crowd-pleasing race relations movie I hate with a burning passion

Ugh, Incredibly Close was painful; if I was to choose though I'd say Precious. So crudely drawn and horridly simplistic, I'm glad I watched it so I can feel better about my middle class white status.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:41 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:

Hmmm... So do you agree with the rather widely stated notion that 2012 was a great year for movies?

I don't think it was a terrible year, but the slate of BP nominees left a little something to be desired, at least for me. I generally liked the acting nominees, so it wasn't all bad.

I agree on the acting categories; I thought the Best Actor nominees were the strongest group of performances recognized in recent memory. Usually a mediocre or overrated performance sneaks in but not that time.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:44 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6